2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pinhead52
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goldenboy232.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

Hi guys, I've been AWOL for several months here (just been busy and also haven't restored any EMs in over a year now - just taking a break), but had the privilege of going to Texas Pinball Festival yesterday and thought I'd do a quick post.

The show, as always, was amazing, and there were an incredible number of great games (pins and arcade games) along with cool vendors as usual, plus great lectures and the tournaments going on. Overall, it was the usual amazing experience and I was sad I only could go for one day this year.

I was, however, a little disappointed in the EM turnout. I'd say (just spit-balling here) there were maybe 30 EMs in the whole show (it felt like about half of what's usually there in prior years) and of those, I'd say at least 6 that I can specifically remember (and maybe a couple more) weren't working at all (powered off, un-playable for those at the show). Of the remaining ~20, many of them had issues (either scoring wasn't working right, some had broken rubbers, chimes weren't working, or were in otherwise general disrepair).

Ken, of course, had some amazing and beautiful games there as always, as did a couple of the guys he was with, but overall I don't think EMs showed up very well this year. Curious what others thought.

I am going to do my best to bring a couple of very nice EMs up from San Antonio to the show next year if I can afford to do the whole weekend in order to do my part, and I hope others will as well. Seems we owe it to our hobby to show up and show up well so new players/generations can have the great appreciation for these beautiful old games that we do. Also seems if folks are going to go to the trouble to take games to the show, they should be tuned up, well-maintained, and at least powered on so folks can give them a whirl. Otherwise what's the point?

I get that not everyone has pristine games, nor is that necessary, but if the ball is continually getting stuck in your game, or there are broken rubbers, or it's always kicking out a ball after game-over, or not scoring right, or you're not either able or willing to power it up (either because it breaks down or for other reasons), it doesn't really add to the EM experience when you're at the show.

Anyway, like I said, overall a good experience, just wish some of the EMs that were there had shown up better.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goldenboy232.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tpf-em-thoughts?tu=goldenboy232 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.