Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Cdoubleu1
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

For all you lucky ducks who were able to attend TPF, please rank the following new pins from favorite to least favorite:

The Big Lebowski
P3
Ghostbusters
Rob Zombie
The Hobbit
Full Throttle

I'm a new pin whore who was unable to attend and am curious to know.

#2 3 years ago

Ghostbusters-great art and game play
The Big Lebowski- interesting game, fun to play but didn't get enough time on it to rank it over GB
P3- ranks here due to all the amazing tech and great concept. Fun to play but not in a traditional sense I hope it catches on but I really don't see it in my game room.
Full throttle- good game play, I like the layout and display in the playfield.
Hobbit- for me it is ok but not great, has some great things balanced by some stuff I didnt like.
Rob Zombie- I know it will get a lot of love from others but it didn't trip my trigger.

#3 3 years ago

Ghostbusters - it's the full package. Looks, sounds and shoots great. Code is early but still really fun.

Rob Zombie - Not a looker but played great. Had written this game off but was really surprised how much I liked it. Kept coming back for more which is a good indication of a quality game.

Full throttle - Liked the layout. Fast and fun. Wish the theme art and integration was a bit more polished.

Hobbit - Looked amazing but played sluggish. Feels like they put a standard design in a wide body cab. I'm worried the rules rely too much on the whack a mole pop ups which got old quick.

Big Lebowski - looks amazing but played like a dog. Game played slow and the flippers/targets also felt sluggish when it came to input. Left sling on the one I played wasn't firing and the car toy wasn't resetting. Not a big fan of the bowling game either. Really let down with this one and had no desire to play again after the first game.

#4 3 years ago

1 GB - Tight shots, fresh layout, great art
2 Full Throttle - Really fun shots and a new layout, art is pretty meh, didn't seem overly reliable.
3 RZ - Dark cool art, fast and brutal, not sold on the layout yet
4 TBL - Looks cool, fun toys, all of the proto games shoot slow and sloppy and it's just not worth 10K to me, not even close
5 TH - Stunning art package, blah layout. I'm not sure how constant pop ups is going to be fun long term.
6 P3 - not my thing, appreciate the innovation but I'm just not into it

#5 3 years ago

GB - +1 on being the full package. Great theme, great art, fun gameplay, and just overall great fun vibe. Always a long wait to play so well received. Everyone had smiles playing it and many people took pics. Clearly the winner and I want one.

TBL - Also great with overall package. Looks like a game B/W would make if still around but with premium features like the chrome trim. Gameplay was very entertaining and best display ever. Seamless video clips, graphics, and effects but still feels very pinball with dots. I thought the bowling sub playfield was weak. I had to bend down to see the pins and then look up to see the ball. Just didn't seem right. Gameplay was fun but nothing specific really did it for me. I would enjoy playing one on location but not really interest in owning one regardless of price.

MMr - Not exactly new but first time I played it. I also played one with the new full color display. Wow - looked amazing! Gameplay was like the original. Not my favorite game but fun to play. Looked great and played well. Waited to play it a few times.

Hobbit - Floaty gameplay but still enjoy playing it. Call it more relaxed type of gameplay. Beautiful game and I thought the pop up targets were awesome. I'm also a fan of far away ramps. Only played it once and would of like to play again but not with a wait.

Full Throttle - I thought it looked great but not enthusiastic about gameplay. It was hard to get the ball up the ramps and general gameplay felt clunky. Only played it once so maybe I did not give it much of a chance.

Rob Zombie - Not a fan at all of the theme but was still excited to see what it was like to play. Did not like it much at all. Ball times were short and didn't really feel like I was in control at all. The playfield looks kind of basic and nothing appealed to me at all. Others seemed excited about it so guess you really have to be a fan of horror, Rob Zombie, and homebrew pinball. For me, nope.

#6 3 years ago

1. GB - Despite some shortcomings, the biggest of which is their archaic display (which they should find embarrassing), Stern still knows how to build a rockin' fun game. GB was a blast.
2. P3 - These guys have moved this platform from novelty to the real deal. My only hesitation is the art style, which I just don't dig at all. Imagine if these guys had ZY or similar artwork combined with their tech. Wow.
3. FT - First time to play and I absolutely loved the gameplay. Really fast wide-body, which I was starting to think impossible. Shoots really well. The theme is a big turn-off, but stuff in the pipeline should put them over the top.
4. TH - Would have been higher, but it's kinda old news at this point. Great package, fun game.
5. RZ - Artwork not nearly as bad as it looked online. Gameplay not my cup of tea.

Didn't rank TBL because I'm not interested at all and didn't play it.

#7 3 years ago

Rob Zombie- Was really fun to play and liked the call outs a lot especially with family mode turned off. Definitely pushes the envelope.

The Big Lebowski - I liked the theme and the call outs a lot. Game play was fun as well. The flippers seemed a bit weak on both pins but I am sure this is something that can be adjusted.

The Hobbit- Amazing artwork and visuals but seemed a bit empty. A lot of open space with not really much going on. Pop up trolls are repetitive.

Full Throttle- Fast and fun to play. I tried to nudge the game while playing. This was not happening. It is a solid heavy game.

Ghostbusters- For me it was another typical Stern game. Nothing really innovative here. It was fun but meh.

P3- Neat concept. One of the add on games (old warship shooting game) was a bit disappointing.

Your mileage may vary!

#8 3 years ago

Ghostbusters - fun, good flow, 'one more game' appeal, visually fantastic

Full throttle - promising platform, technologically and visually impressive, fun to play although the theme and code had room for improvement

Tbl - great theme and how it was linked to the film, flippers felt weak and sluggish which made it slow and almost boring

Rob zombie - plays great but the theme was not for me, also felt simple compared to others

P3 - very different and has potential

Hobbit - visually impressive, otherwise as 'impressive' as the movies

#9 3 years ago

1) GB - Surprised me...really liked it after playing it.

2) FT - Great flow...wish all of the ramps were metal instead of plastic. (cheapens the look)

3) Hobbit - Good game...reminds me of a "poor man's" Medieval Madness...due to all of the playfield pop-ups. (which is a good thing)

4) P3 - Pretty fun to play...just doesn't seem like you're playing pinball. (feels more like an arcade game with flippers)

5) TBL - Went to TPF with intentions of playing to possibly buy...not anymore. (flippers were weak/sluggish...didn't help even when the flipper power was adjusted up a couple of notches...had to bang the crap out of the rolled up carpet to get it to move even just a little...maybe the weak flippers?...the bowling alley is a great concept, just not really fun...display was awesome, but that was about it...the game very much has the appearance of a modern game, but has the feel of an early '80s game when playing it)

?) RZ - Not sure were to rank this since there was some kind of a glitch in the software that kept shutting down the flippers in the middle of play...waited in line once, but not twice. (visually, the playfield seemed a little plain to me...not as much to shoot at as I would of liked...maybe if I got to play more than half a ball after each plunge I might of felt different about it, since I do like Rob Zombie's music.) Will revisit it again when they get the software bugs worked out.

#10 3 years ago

Just got back from Dallas. My ears are still tingling. You get addicted to the sound of that massive room of fun. So much good this year. So much. Can I say how thankful I am to have such a variety of new stuff to play? I spent a lot of time in lines, excited to play new games. This is not a complaint. Thank you so much to the people that made it happen.

Ghostbusters -- I f'ing ADORE this game. The art is insane. Amazing. The sound is terrific. Great use of the classic song, as the individual sections lend well to breakdown mixes. Amazing gameplay. Punishing, but rewarding. I HATE the red DMD. Hate. But I imagine future mods will remedy this. If GB had a DMD the quality of Lebowski, I'd be set. As it is, I can't wait to try the Premium/LE. Preparing to sell stuff for purchasing this game. Dream title.

P3 -- I LOVE the concept. It's solid, and works amazingly well. My biggest gripe is that the themes lack originality. Imagine if you had a solid game designer working on the platform. Tons of potential, but not interesting to me yet.

Hobbit - It surprised me. I appreciate the love that went into WoZ, but it just doesn't appeal to me personally. Hobbit caught me off guard and I kept coming back for more. It's slow, yes, but it grows on you. The art package is beautiful, and the LCD really shines. The lack of animations on WoZ's display was my biggest complaint about the large display. Want to play it some more.

The Big Lebowski -- Really disappointed me. I worship the film. The table makes me laugh to no end. I love the humor. Tons of love was put into the design. I love the jumbo color DMD. This is what Stern SHOULD be using on Ghostbusters. But whatever. Problem is, the prototypes were glitchy as hell (again). I'd love to play a final production unit, because the left game kept breaking down. At one point, the CPU froze and all the controls died. Flippers were weak, but I imagine that's more from being carted to every show on Planet Earth than a trait of the game itself. I want to play a production model. The bowling gets a lot of flack for not being a powered shot. I think that's what gives it character. It's different. Feels more like actual bowling. Good design. Still have hope, but this was a poor showing.

FT -- Literally don't care, but it did feel rock solid in build. Solid product. Just not for me.

Rob Zombie -- Lighting is fugly as fug. I get that they're going for the grungy look, but it needs more lighting. The artwork doesn't get to shine like it deserves. Rookie mistake. The game surprised me though. Rock solid gameplay, and when they turned off "family friendly mode" after 9PM, the humor truly shined. That game is DIRTY. The Ball Save gag made me almost spew my drink laughing. Fantastic game being hidden by shit lighting. Would play again.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from ThirdMarioBro:

Flippers were weak, but I imagine that's more from being carted to every show on Planet Earth than a trait of the game itself.

At little OT: These weren't the old prototypes, these were pre-production samples. Sounds like it was good they took these to TPF to collect some things to address before shipping. In another thread, it was mentioned one of the games had a defective coil. Not sure if it would of caused 100% of what you saw though.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

At little OT: These weren't the old prototypes, these were pre-production samples. Sounds like it was good they took these to TPF to collect some things to address before shipping. In another thread, it was mentioned one of the games had a defective coil. Not sure if it would of caused 100% of what you saw though.

I had heard these TBL were the old prototype games (been drug to every show for the last few years) that had been retro fitted with some of the new platform. Can anyone who is in the know confirm what exactly these TBL were?

#13 3 years ago

TZ seemed pretty polarizing from the people I talked too. Either loved or hated it. I personally did not like it at all. It looks great just not fun to play. Ghostbusters was awesome as was Big Lebowski and Hobbit. Full Throttle is fun but not amazing. I did not enjoy P3 at all, just like the last 3 years.

If I had to pick my favorite though it would be Ghostbusters.

#14 3 years ago

Forgot about P3. I've seen it before and not interested. It's like a video game and pinball machine but not really a video game or pinball machine.

RZ definitely had issues when I played it - at least in multiplayer. It was dropping balls and switching players in the middle of gameplay.

The two TBL seemed to have a few issues while I was waiting in line but played okay when it was my turn.

It is annoying that GB still has red dots when the entire competition has color. It's annoying because the rest of the game is spectacular. I imagine the first game with a color display will not be that great of a game.

#15 3 years ago

A little off topic, but for those who played TBL, I have a question regarding the bowling alley. On the video I watched, it looked like the positioning of the ball did not give consistent results, but you couldn't see the ball hitting the pins. Was that the case?

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

A little off topic, but for those who played TBL, I have a question regarding the bowling alley. On the video I watched, it looked like the positioning of the ball did not give consistent results, but you couldn't see the ball hitting the pins. Was that the case?

On the game I played the ball just rolled through the pins registering hits but not mechanically knocking any down so it was kind of impossible to know if the game software and mechanics were registering hits properly.

#17 3 years ago

GB - Great presentation overall (even with red dots) I think it may be my first NIB Stern (Premium)

TBL - Kind of... "inert" might be the best word? Also the bowling mech (which probably cost a fortune) stops the game dead, and yet you can barely see the pins anyway (as a short guy even I had to bend over to see them)

TH - No reason this couldn't have been a standard width game. Presentation also looks great, but GB has more energy.

MMR - New dots look fantastic! But it's weird how text and scores are still chunky.

P3 - I enjoyed Canon Ball Lagoon (needs a better name like Loose Canons or Canon Fodder though) It was simply and made thematic sense.

FTH - Well built and fun, and you get a LOT for 6k.

RZ - My opinions of it are reserved for Chuck and the Davids!

#18 3 years ago

Played everything but TBL. Line for that was always a little too long whenever I wandered back there. Other than that...

GB rocked! Fun layout, great early code, great features and probably Trudeau's best. Played three games. I'm going to order a premium.

Full Throttle was a neat game but the theme is a pass for me. I also can't get past the lack of aesthetics of the game. Something needs to be done about that trim. I'd really like to see Alien but I'm not a big fan of the preorder and wait for an undisclosed amount of time.

TH I played recently at another show and totally passed it at the TPF. Gorgeous game but the play doesn't wow me. I think I'd need more time in a home environment to really flesh this one out. Again, not a fan of preorders and missed dates, not by a month or two but by years. If I decide I want one in the future, I'll by on the secondary market.

P3, again, played recently at another show. Didn't attend seminar so I'm not familiar with what the new games announced were. Great concept, just not for me at this time.

RZ has gorgeous artwork but the play didn't do anything for me. I played it 4 times. I'm not on the list to order and if I was, although I'm a Rob Zombie fan, I'd probably would have sold my slot. Whoever is coding this game needs to add the drop target to the ball search mode. Maybe I should have played it before GB because GB really set the bar for me at the show.

#19 3 years ago

I played them all, this is how I would rank them

1: Ghostbusters by 7000 miles, best game. total integration of theme, art, music, shots. just awesome. Also, I dont think the games went down at any time during the show, pretty impressive.

2: Rob Zombie - really impressed with its play and art. unique shots.

3: Full Throttle - this game surprised me, not into the theme but fun to shoot. Shots are satisfying, that shot that shoots around an inner loop back to the left outlane and feeds to the left flipper is just plain awesome.

4: Big Lewboski - Great all around package, games had some issues. The one was down quite a bit. I think if they are tuned up better could be fun to shoot, but flippers were kind of weak on the one I got on.

5: P3 - really awesome concept, just kind of wasnt that into it. has amazing potential. Didnt play any of the new ones, just Lexi

6: The Hobbit - art and presentation is stunning, game just didnt do it for me. Shots weren't that satisfying, the "floaty" descriptions seems fairly accurate. I'm sure once you get into it and can get into modes and figure it out the satisfaction will be there.

7: Bride of Pinbot 2.0 - Really didn't enjoy the new sounds/music over the original. Neat concept, im just too attached to BOP's original music score that this felt too out of place for me.

the hidden gem of the show for me was the TX-Sector, never a line and such a bad ass game. The music/sfx is my second fav in pinball after Bride of Pinbot.

#20 3 years ago

Great feedback so far!

RZ is not faring so well. I'm feeling a little iffy about my RZ order.

#21 3 years ago

Damn, all these glowing Ghostbusters reviews and all I've got at the local arcade is TWD Prem, Hobbit, GOT LE, WOZ, and MM. I need to get my hands on this hot new shit!

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

Great feedback so far!

Don't. I actually thought RZ was the best new game of the show. Not a fan of the GB game...to each his own, eh? But RZ has hysterical callouts, a wicked fast ramp, and a jiggly bucket of chicken. What more can you ask for? The toys are a vast improvement from AMH, and the game has that "one more play" factor (which GB has for most people...I didn't even want to try it the first time).

I was pleasantly surprised, and told Ben Heck that even though I hated the theme, the game was a hell of a lot of fun to play.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

Damn, all these glowing Ghostbusters reviews and all I've got at the local arcade is TWD Prem, Hobbit, GOT LE, WOZ, and MM. I need to get my hands on this hot new shit!

What a miserable excuse for an arcade. You are one deprived individual. My condolences.

#24 3 years ago

GB: I had no say in this, the wife told me "we're in". I don't mind so much . The
Pro was fun enough to stand in line a few times. Each time (even on Sunday) the game was peppy. Calling this out due to the amount told play it got - and the experience on the other games.

TH: you know how long we have been waiting on that one . The game is fleshing out nicely. This game seems like it will favor longer game times. Not a bad thing - lots to do. The display is absolutely awesome. I wish the translite wasn't so washed out looking.

The others, didn't t engage us the same way.

TBL - aesthetically. Love it. They really nailed the theme. This is the third event I've gone to, and the first where TBL was functional enough to play. The flippers and bumpers were just plain tired. The bowling lane itself, I didn't see the objective - but the wife did. So, that's good I guess. Jaap's talk was great, and honest.

Rob Zombie: I bet this would be an awesome pin for a fan. Seemed like Spooky executed well on this.

Full throttle: Theme did nothing for me. Game was ok. Right flipper was tired, left was still going strong. I found I never used the monitor built into the field - only the head. Looking forward to their second pin (previews shown at Andrew's talk looked great).

P3 as a platform looks interesting. Lexi, playing it, not so much. Maybe it was too "different" or maybe I just did not like the game. I am interested in what they do with the platform moving forward, and I hope they have enough success with game one to keep going. The passion is certainly there.

#25 3 years ago

Although not a new pin so slightly OT, I have to say that Cactus Canyon Continued was really awesome. I've only played CC before, and never really got excited over it due to rules but CCC is a huge improvement. I wish it was made available, then I'd consider CC in the future

#26 3 years ago

Gb - awesome. Getting a premium after playing the pro.

Hobbit - just a gorgeous pin. Would love to own one.

FT - I like it but I am worried about durability on this one and there appears to be a slight design flaw in the ramps. I really like the play and layout but will pass until they get more established.

RZ - fun, but not interested.

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

Great feedback so far!

Let's try another review

1. Rob zombie- best art & audio. I've owned lots of pins & I like variety of playfields & like upper playfields. Lots of space for adding cool mods & custom lighting. <-- 2 things I totally dig doing. This pin is the furthest thing from cookie cutter. Nothing but respect for them.

2. P3 - we're going to be seeing amazing games from this system. New games are a blast. I can play complex & deep games and in 30 secs later I can play casual pin games. Nothing else like this on the planet. Just incredible!

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

1 GB - Tight shots, fresh layout, great art
2 Full Throttle - Really fun shots and a new layout, art is pretty meh, didn't seem overly reliable.
3 RZ - Dark cool art, fast and brutal, not sold on the layout yet
4 TBL - Looks cool, fun toys, all of the proto games shoot slow and sloppy and it's just not worth 10K to me, not even close
5 TH - Stunning art package, blah layout. I'm not sure how constant pop ups is going to be fun long term.
6 P3 - not my thing, appreciate the innovation but I'm just not into it

^^^This^^^
Saved me a lot of typing.
I will add that Full Throttle impressed us so much we bought the floor model and already have it on location and it is working fantastic. No reliability issues after thousands of plays at the show.
Had already purchased Ghostbusters before the show.

#29 3 years ago

Since I like different and unique I'm hoping RZ does it for me. I'm thinking the call outs alone are worth it

It's really hard to get a really good feel on a handful of games.

As TBL, it seems they still don't have their shit together. I'm glad I passed for now, hoping it works out.

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

>all i've got
>local arcade
>that lineup

the 80% of the country that barely has a local arcade let alone that lineup at it is throwing food at you right now

#31 3 years ago

Ghostbusters - This thing is increadible. Amazing art, good rules already, and the sound package is awesome too.
The Big Lebowski - It was really hard to hit some shots with the weak flippers, but with some good code and regular playing conditions, this game could be great.
The Hobbit - Still not 100% sold on the hobbit honestly. Beautiful machine with a really well intigrated theme. The layout really doesnt grab me.
Rob Zombie - Not my cup of tea at all. Looks okay and that's about it.
P3 - It's kind of a neat idea. Not really much fun to me honestly. I think there is more potential in their "kid friendly" games as redemption machines or something. Time isnt helping this one at all. RZ and P3 might be a tie. Both not very fun to me.

I foolishly didnt play Full Throttle

#32 3 years ago

P3
Rob Zombie
Ghostbusters
The Big Lebowski
The Hobbit
Full Throttle

P3 wins hands down; because it's full of so much innovation. I'm looking forward to future titles and my own work on the platform.
Many will probably disagree with me here.

Rob Zombie was fun - a little to dark (light wize) for my tastes; but the reds defiantly fit the theme.

Ghostbusters looked good imho. The issues of code complete concerns me ... so I'm staying out until I get a bigger house for more pins (read: never)

TBL looks like all the other protos we've seen. Glad they are finally shipping.

TH: I wanted to hate it given the development time and the company behind it... but I didn't. That said; I didn't love it either.

FT: Theme doesn't appeal to me....

#34 3 years ago

P3 Rob Zombie Ghostbusters Full Throttle MMR TBL Hobbit

In that order

#35 3 years ago

But if I could get just one it wouldn't be any of these...AMH for the win!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 11.95
€ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
YOYOKOPTER MODS
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods
$ 146.66
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
7,599 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Savannah, GA
$ 14.00
Cabinet - Decals
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 134.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Lighting - Led
3D MODS
€ 3.70
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Other
Medisinyl Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dayton, OH
$ 5,599.99
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside