(Topic ID: 252698)

TPF 2020 Tourney tickets go on sale this Saturday! (10/5)

By Snailman

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Snailman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Set your calendar for this Saturday!! Texas Pinball Festival 2020 Wizards tournament tickets will go on sale this Saturday, October 5th, at 12pm CDT. http://texaspinball.com/tpf/store/

The tickets for this Stern Pro Circuit event sold out quickly last year (32 minutes), and we anticipate they will sell out even quicker for 2020.

• The popular Wizards tournament format will remain the same: limited entry, multi-era, capped at 160 players, with A, B, and Novice division finals. The Women’s finals of Wizards has been removed, and has been permanently replaced by the awesome Texas Takedown Women’s Championship.
    • The Wizards tournament entry purchase will include show admission at the early bird rate. For simplicity, you’ll purchase both in one transaction. $80 for the Wizards tourney. And the TPF show pass added onto that at the early bird rate. (Players who are also game exhibitors will be given a refund for the show pass amount) ** Please also note the refund policy has changed. See the TPF tourney web site. **
    • If you miss out, the Waitlist markers go on sale as soon as tickets sell out. Do NOT email TPF, the TD’s, or organizers to get on the waitlist. Using the TPF store for the waitlist is the only way to get on the waitlist.
    • The Classics tournament will return, but this time as a Limited Entry event to deal with its increased popularity and reduce the queue times that were experienced last year. $20 for 8 plays. Best 4 count. Sales for Classics will start at 1pm CDT. Limited to 240 players.
    • The Texas Takedown Women’s Matchplay Championship returns! Placeholders for this tournament will be available to purchase at 1pm CDT.
    • The Kids and Parent/Child tournaments will run on their own machines. Purchase these tickets at the door.
    • Similar qualifying and finals schedule as 2019: qualifying all-day Friday and half-day Saturday, Classics finals Saturday morning, Kids finals Saturday afternoon, and Wizards finals Saturday evening.
    • Access to one of the best pinball festivals in the world and a 40,000 square feet game room / exhibition hall!
    • A full lineup of industry and hobby seminars.

Looking forward to seeing many of you March 27-29, 2020, at TPF 2020!
    http://texaspinball.com/tpf/show-info/

#3 4 years ago

Reminder / Bump: Tickets go on sale TOMORROW, Saturday at 12pm noon CDT.
    Also: fixed an error re: waitlist... the Wizards waitlist markers will go on sale as soon as the tickets are sold out -- not at a fixed time of 1pm.

#4 4 years ago

Get your typing fingers warmed up if you want a spot in the Wizards event. Less than two hours.

#5 4 years ago

Site says store closed for maintenance. Does it open at noon or is something goofy?

#6 4 years ago

Refunds and No Shows:

Tournament tickets and accompanying TPF show passes are refundable if there is a standing waiting list and according to the following refund schedule:

Refund Application Date

10/5/2019 – 10/19/2019
    10/20/2019 – 12/31/2019
    1/1/2020 – 1/31/2020
    2/1/2020 – 2/29/2020
    3/1/2020 or later

Eligible Amount

100% minus fees*
    75% minus fees*
    50% minus fees*
    25% minus fees*
    0%

Tournament tickets may not be transferred. If a player is unable to compete and applies for a refund, we will offer that spot to the next person on the waiting list. TPF show passes that are not bundled as part of a tournament ticket are not refundable.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from bitternerd:

Site says store closed for maintenance. Does it open at noon or is something goofy?

Opens at noon.

#8 4 years ago

Not sure why it was so hard to post that here. I'm on the fence. Last year I couldn't go to TPF because I was short on money due to emergencies. Now if I cancel 3 months beforehand I lose half my money?

Goddammit, guys. How the f--k am I supposed to know 3+ months in advance what the hell is going to happen.

*edit* I guess I choose the All-American solution and just put it on a credit card, like the entire rest of the country.

#9 4 years ago

The events can be a bit exclusionary. Classics is only $20 though, and you don't have to bundle a TPF pass (although you'll need one the days of the event).

Classics entries go on sale at 1.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

TPF pass (although you'll need one the days of the event).

I'm probably bringing my Crescendo, so a pass isn't an issue. I'd bring Cyclone but it's honestly a visual turd. The cabinet is awful, someone painted over it with red paint that has faded to broken up and crackled pink lol. Plays good though.

I need to make a real fast decision if I intend to try for state scs next year or not. If not...then I don't give a fart about the Wizards tournament.

#11 4 years ago

site was crashing at noon but got in at 3 min after and got a ticket . missed last year , glad to be back!

#12 4 years ago

just watched it go from 156 available to 26 available in about 3 minute span lol

#13 4 years ago

12 left

#14 4 years ago

and gone 12 min in

#15 4 years ago

Classics and Women's Texas Takedown entries are now available.

Wizards players and waitlist is up: https://texaspinball.com/tpf/tournaments/texas-wizards-tournament/2020-texas-wizards-tournament-players/

#16 4 years ago

Got weekend passes for me and my wife and picked up a baseball shirt too. Hotel and flights have been booked for weeks. Just need to book a rental car.

#18 4 years ago

Yeah, they need to come up with some better scheme than this. I think that this is the 3rd year in a row that I've been locked out. I've actually just given up on trying to play.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

Yeah, they need to come up with some better scheme than this.

What alternate scheme do you propose?

#20 4 years ago

Well, the old scheme (where they had qualification for a couple of days, and then finals) was good EXCEPT that they allowed people to just keep re-trying as long as they kept paying. This made for long lines as people kept trying to re-enter. I understand that it was a good money-making scheme, but it made for a poor tournament.

If they used that method (but allowed only 1 or 2 attempts per player) then a lot more people would have a chance to play. Whether this would let them earn enough money from it, I don't know.

But I DO know that it is frustrating that lots of players that would like to compete don't get a chance. When the slots are all gone within twelve minutes, it's obvious that supply is not meeting demand.

I am not a tournament organizer, so maybe there are problems here that I am missing, but I do know that I have been locked out multiple times now. And it is unreasonable to expect that everyone who wants to play is sitting at home clicking as fast as possible at the moment that the (virtual) gates open.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

If they used that method (but allowed only 1 or 2 attempts per player) then a lot more people would have a chance to play. Whether this would let them earn enough money from it, I don't know.

We do use that method (limited entry). It generates less revenue but "enough" is different depending on who you ask. The people who don't qualify probably think it generates plenty, the people who are winning the prizes probably think it generates too little.
    https://texaspinball.com/tpf/tournaments/texas-wizards-tournament/
    "Players will be required to demonstrate skill across 3 Eras of machines, out of twelve (12) different pinball machines: 4 Modern, 4 SS (Solid State), 4 EM (Electro-Mechanical). A player’s best score on 8 (out of 12) pins will be used for ranking, though at least two pins from each Era be included in the player’s ranking. Players may choose to replay individual machines as they desire, staying within their total 20 play limit and the qualifying time limits."

Quoted from mbeardsley:

And it is unreasonable to expect that everyone who wants to play is sitting at home clicking as fast as possible at the moment that the (virtual) gates open.

The Wizards tournament took more than twelve minutes to sell out. I feel twelve minutes is a reasonable amount of time to add a ticket to your cart and check out. There will always be people who can't get in. Even if we took a thousand players. Should we favor those who take the effort to arrange to buy an entry when they go on sale or favor those who would like to take a few months to decide or favor some other group?

Classics hasn't sold out yet. https://texaspinball.com/tpf/tournaments/classics-side-tournament/
    That is also a limited entry format. Different number of entries, details at the link.

Quoted from mbeardsley:

I am not a tournament organizer, so maybe there are problems here that I am missing,

We discuss often what changes we could make and how those changes might impact everyone involved- players, organizers, event coordinators. The perfect situation would be an event for everyone who wanted to play, good prize money, manageable effort for organizers, suitable venue. The reality is you always have a limited number of games and space and time and money and coordinators available so you work with what you have and try to do better next time.

4 months later
    #22 4 years ago

has the TPF tournament game list come out yet?

1 year later
    #23 2 years ago

TPF is back for 2022! If you are a registered player for the 2020 Wizards tourney, please check your email for important info on paying for and claiming your spot for the 2022 Wizards tourney.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tpf-2020-tourney-tickets-go-on-sale-this-saturday-10-5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.