(Topic ID: 155419)

TPF 2016 - Impressions thread & wrap-up

By NicoVolta

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
    2016-03-22_(resized).jpg
    2016-03-22_(1)_(resized).jpg
    2016-03-22_(2)_(resized).jpg
    IMG_3781_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3799_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3825_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3729_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3733_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3849_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3812_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3830_(resized).JPG
    image_(resized).jpeg
    Whysnow_(resized).jpg
    Lumbergh_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballrebel.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#80 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Who is Ken? I only saw you making every call and decision when needed and assumed that meant you were the TD??
    You setup and had to play test all the games as the TD and if TPF wants to continue to grow the competiton and event then they should make some adjustments (i suggest paying the TD a reasonable fee to put in the effort and not play) to remove the distinct advantage in a limited qualifying event of being able to get familiar with the games in advance. Takes a whole new spin on the debacle of last minute change to reduced plays when the TD still had ample opportunity to play test all the games and knew the feeds and plunges in advance. I think it is important if TPF wants to continue to buld the level of the tournament to address this. You are a great player but also had advantages given your role as TD. Best to just remove the perception of advantage all together by having a TD not playing in the event when dealing with a huge prize pot and last minute reduction in attempts on games yet some people got to play test all the games.
    Aside from that the tourney ran very smooth and the never drains software was great.
    Other suggestion is to change the format of the parent/kid tourney since it is really just PARENT that is good plus kid event it seemed? Maybe play a split flipper with this to make it more fun? I know other events have done a parent/kid where the kid plays balls 1 and 3, the parent plays ball 2 and 1 handed. Make it a way to add more for the kids and less about the parents skill.

You were not looking hard I was in the tournament area all weekend. Fixing games, making calls etc. I did not play in the tournament (though I wanted to do so) so there would be no conflict with any decision that affected anyone else volunteering to work in the tourney area who also played.

Ken

#84 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Who is Ken? I only saw you making every call and decision when needed and assumed that meant you were the TD??
    You setup and had to play test all the games as the TD and if TPF wants to continue to grow the competiton and event then they should make some adjustments (i suggest paying the TD a reasonable fee to put in the effort and not play) to remove the distinct advantage in a limited qualifying event of being able to get familiar with the games in advance. Takes a whole new spin on the debacle of last minute change to reduced plays when the TD still had ample opportunity to play test all the games and knew the feeds and plunges in advance. I think it is important if TPF wants to continue to buld the level of the tournament to address this. You are a great player but also had advantages given your role as TD. Best to just remove the perception of advantage all together by having a TD not playing in the event when dealing with a huge prize pot and last minute reduction in attempts on games yet some people got to play test all the games.
    Aside from that the tourney ran very smooth and the never drains software was great.
    Other suggestion is to change the format of the parent/kid tourney since it is really just PARENT that is good plus kid event it seemed? Maybe play a split flipper with this to make it more fun? I know other events have done a parent/kid where the kid plays balls 1 and 3, the parent plays ball 2 and 1 handed. Make it a way to add more for the kids and less about the parents skill.

I set up a great deal of the tourney games (some of the owners set up their own) and checked level and performance on them. Colin was actually running late, and I had a great deal of them set up before he even got there Thursday. I also checked them after they were repaired (great job by Eugene and Evan) for helping us get them back up and going when they went down. Although I had to trim some drop targets that were too tall for Torch to keep the game up and going. I have never saw that many drops snap off in one weekend. We managed to keep every game running all the way through qualifying without having to replace it or cut off entry on it. If you would like to help set up games next year by all means let me know. We could use the help

No one had an advantage going into or playing in the tourney. That was done on purpose. We also had several other judges that played but none made a call that impacted them. We even had a situation where the BSD that was supposed to be in the tourney area could not be there and we sought out that same title on the floor for use (got lucky and found one). So that we could use the game list that was published earlier.

The reduction is attempts reasoning had already been talked about before qualifying started (way before). They tourney ran smooth and everyone had a good time

Two Texans did make the final four though. If you want an outside opinion on how it ran ask Trent. He can tell you because he has been to a lot of TPF tourneys and he can vouch for how well this one went. I also spent some time after the show talking to him about ideas for 2017. If you have ideas on how to improve things for 2017 as well feel free to message me.

Ken

#85 8 years ago
    Quoted from imharrow:

Every ruling I was involved in was handled by Ken. He ruled when NGS crashed on me. He ruled when a player walked away from ball 5 on Cleo. He ruled on the whirlwind malfunction in the quarters. Of course Colin was playing the entire finals so could not rule, this was even made very clear during the player's briefing before the finals. Ken was TD for the finals.
    I think you are confusing Ken's seemingly more quiet personality and possible aversion to public speaking (or maybe Colin's desire for public speaking) as less involvement. I would argue you saw what you wanted to see.
    As for advantages, yes if you set a machine you have a small advantage, but over 2 days of qualifying, take your time, watch the machines, talk to others. The advantage quickly disappears. I knew about the feeds and tilts on most machines before I walked up to them. Still tilted frontier my first game despite being warned by multiple people .

I don't have an aversion to public speaking, I actually was a DJ at one time. However, I am soft spoken and don't draw attention for attentions sake. Thanks for speaking up. I made a bunch of rulings and dealt with malfunctions etc all weekend. We even had a handy rules card laminated and on the table to ensure that when similar rulings were needed they would be as consistent and fair as possible. I referred to this a great deal. It was very handy actually.

As I mentioned in another reply, we can always use help setting up games Taking them down too

Ken

#86 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I run lots of events and there are advantages and disadvantages in doing so. In many cases the events are small enough that the reality is they would not happen at all if a TD was not allowed to play. In cases like premier events it is a good idea to take steps to remove these advantages as best as possible if TDs are also competing.
    In small events the easiest way to level the field is to allow some warm up.
    In larger events where that is not logistically possible then you need to take other measures.
    Keep in mind that many large events use unlimited qualifying and that alone will remove any advantage. Granted I dont think unlimited qualifying events are very fun, so dont prefer that method of qualifying.
    I have made suggestions in a contructive way for how those advantages can be mittigated for TPF. Reality is that taking these steps sure wont hurt the growth of the TPF tournament and the growth of the TPF tournament is a good thing for the growth of TPF as a whole. While the tourney may not make and y direct money for the show, it does currently bring in people that otherwise would not attend the show. Competitive play is growing and TPF will need to adjust IF they want to grow their competitive event for the show.

If you come TPF just to play in the tourney you are missing 99% of what makes the show awesome

Ken

#129 8 years ago
    Quoted from HoneyBadger:

I was one of the people who came to the show just for the tourney. I was very pissed about the cut in entries before the show and still am. I was pulling my hair out all day Saturday during the day and wanted to play competitive pinball but couldn't. Having said that, that was my only complaint about this tourney. Ken, yourself, Colin and whoever else were involved ran an amazing tourney while I was there and you guys deserve kudos. Very well done guys, congrats! Not an easy feat! I had fun for the time I was allowed to play. Good work!

We can agree to disagree on the cut down on entries. However, thank you so much for the kind words concerning all the other aspects of the tourney I got to make a few loops during the show just to see what was there, other than that I was pretty glued to the tourney area

Ken

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballrebel.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tpf-2016-impressions-thread-wrap-up?tu=pinballrebel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.