(Topic ID: 155419)

TPF 2016 - Impressions thread & wrap-up

By NicoVolta

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
    2016-03-22_(resized).jpg
    2016-03-22_(1)_(resized).jpg
    2016-03-22_(2)_(resized).jpg
    IMG_3781_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3799_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3825_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3729_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3733_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3849_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3812_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3830_(resized).JPG
    image_(resized).jpeg
    Whysnow_(resized).jpg
    Lumbergh_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mk1mod0.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#140 8 years ago

Terrific show, for the fifth time in a row. It keeps getting better and the location is aces. The organizers and volunteers make it simple for us to bring and show our games. As someone previously mentioned, the numbered lanes made load in even faster and more organized. Well done.

Speaking of which, here's my audits:
    Super Straight - The Acrylic Pinball got 813 plays. Games were short and there was constantly people on it. It was down for maybe two hours total for one out of adjustment switch and a loose flipper. (Loctite, aye!) When I opened the door to start breaking it down after the awards there was a rush of heat pouring out. I need more vents... Also, thanks to those who texted and called to let me know it needed attention.
    Eight Ball Deluxe - 667 total plays, 354 games won, high score was beaten 8 times and it had 1011 total minutes of game play. Completely flawless weekend for this hardy survivor. For those that don't know this was a bluelight special off Chris' truck two TPFs ago. A real wreck resurrected. How did y'all like my fake back glass? Didn't notice? Great!! My brother asked if I was selling any games this year and I said no, but I bet I'll get an offer on the EBD before the show ends. I got inquiries as soon as the trailer door opened on Thursday...
    Space Invaders - 651 plays, 124 games won. High score beaten and total minutes both showed 00. Don't know why. Another rescued beater, it plays like a champ. Had minor issues but it stayed up all weekend. Hope y'all admired my decal play field job!

Show impressions -
    Games of note to me; Reverse Flush - seriously cool and well executed. Messed me up for playing other games with the reversed flippers. Had a similar problem with Freedom - This EM plays like a dream. Ripped off for best in show, hands down. (IMHO) Had to learn to leave the flippers alone. Quite a challenge for the play-challenged like me. The winning Taxi - Wow. Best. Taxi. Ever. Vector - both of them. Another great game I somehow missed in my youth. Both were fine examples and played beautifully. Every game in the History of Pinball and Vector booths. 4 Million BC - A rare game that is such a joy to play. The Black Pyramid - I sold mine a few years ago for space and still miss it. Thanks for bringing it. TWD - the pro next to the Met across from the "food court." Very good playing game. Fathom and Embryon - 2 nice museum quality pieces. Flash - A great blast from my past. Thanks again, Jeff. If I had the room...Plenty of others, but these were the highlights to me.

Games being down/ needing repair. Stuff happens, we all know that. Chances are, whatever goes wrong will be the thing you are least prepared to fix. Most that I saw down at one point were up at another. What grinds my gears is the Little Chief that was brought with an obviously broken flipper. THAT is wrong. Ended up helping the guy who bought it to find one and change it out. Was fun to play after that. I also got some huge above and beyond help from the gentleman with the video repair booth left of Cointaker. (I cannot remember his name. I am embarrassed and sorry.) He went WAAAAYY beyond the few dollars he charged us and went out of the way to get us fixed. In the end he helped my game and one my brother has. In Arizona. Thanks again. Thanks to Marco, Cointaker and Chris, who has the best spare parts bins n all the land.

People - They really do make the show. It was cool to meet Robin and his brother. At the Friday get together, I decided to walk around and introduce myself and met a bunch more Pinsiders I did not know. What a novel idea! I saw several more I knew of but had never met. Nice to put faces to names. (I saw Boob across the table at the Pitch. Looked like a really nice, wholesome fellow.) A special thanks to finnflash who humped my next acrylic project donor down from St Louis for me. You saved us a ton o' dough and showed the true spirit of pinball there. Hope you did well in the tourneys. Only ran into two people that acted like jerks by being machine hogs. I get it. Bally Playboy is a game that never shows up working at TPF. But we all want to play, k? I had elevator rides with some big cheeses at the show. And talked to them like regular folk. I like that. The vendors were all very helpful, knowledgeable and above all friendly. Marco was giving away fuses and third hands all weekend. Only one other sour note - to the women that were rude/condescending/intentionally misleading to my wife, shame on you. She was asking questions for me while I was working on machines. That is all I will ever say about that.

The layout I feel was much better thought out than in previous years. It had better flow. I mean overall it was the same but there were minor tweaks to it that kept me from feeling like I was in the back room at some of the areas. The Pinside booth was sweet. A little more room between the shirt tables and pins would have helped. The food trucks were in the right place for the right amount of time. WELL DONE on that. Love, love love the after party. From load in to pack out the show was top notch. The crowds were steady and more diverse than ever. I want to thank every mom and dad that brought their kids. The hotel, as always, is top notch and tolerant. The happy hour is happy and the breakfast is a feast! (Note - please have a dress code for breakfast. Some folks still think it's ok to show up in their PJs. Yikes.

That's about all I can think of for now. I regret not getting to play all the tournament games. Especially Frontier. Maybe I should enter just to get to play those great games!! See a lot of you's guys in November.

Shawn

#187 8 years ago

From what I have been able to gather, after insurance and licensing from state, county AND city you better have a good location to turn a profit.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mk1mod0.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tpf-2016-impressions-thread-wrap-up?tu=mk1mod0 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.