(Topic ID: 155419)

TPF 2016 - Impressions thread & wrap-up

By NicoVolta

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
    2016-03-22_(resized).jpg
    2016-03-22_(1)_(resized).jpg
    2016-03-22_(2)_(resized).jpg
    IMG_3781_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3799_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3825_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3729_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3733_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3849_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3812_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3830_(resized).JPG
    image_(resized).jpeg
    Whysnow_(resized).jpg
    Lumbergh_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider golfkill.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#181 8 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Dallas and all of the north half of Texas, is failing, utterly and horribly, at promoting pinball.

Except for putting on what is probably the best overall show in the country.

#183 8 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

One event doesn't make a mecca, <moderated comment>.

True, it doesn't. Dallas location play and competitive scene doesn't compare to Austin, Houston, or OKC, but to say Dallas is "terrible at promoting pinball" is ridiculous hyperbole and does a great disservice to the large collector community that puts a lot of effort into putting on the TPF.

#192 8 years ago
    Quoted from Spraynard:

I think Houston is actually very similar to Dallas. We have next to nothing in the way of location pinball. The few locations there are, the games are in a pretty bad state. We also have the same old guard of collectors and flippers. All great guys, just more interested in collecting than playing the game.
    Despite these obstacles, we've managed to grow a pretty vibrant pinball scene. Our regular league location is not a pinball location at all, but a bar next to a retail shop in downtown, and the owner was kind enough to loan 6 games every week. We didn't have a good location, so we made one! Moreover, you have to market outside of the "old guard." The SCPL has thrived almost entirely on new comers. Advertise on Reddit, post flyers, talk to people at the arcade, encourage people to bring friends, etc. If you make a fun, inclusive environment, the new comers will enjoy it, and they'll stick around.
    My hope is that we can keep the momentum rolling, and that somehow this will translate into more location pinball. That may be a pipedream, but we'll see what happens!

One of the big issues Dallas has that is probably even worse in Houston is travel time. It's hard for people on one side of a metro area to make it to the other side of a metro area on a weeknight after work. How did you guys handle that, or do most of your players come from the same part of Houston that you play league in?

#193 8 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

If I could go back in time, I would've gone to TPF instead of Nationals. It was nice to finally meet the Sharpe bros. and see some other high level players, but I got buried first round, which was a huge blow to me.

This is the wrong way to think of it. TPF will always be there, but you may only have one chance in your life to go to Nationals, it's a hard tournament to earn your way into. If you got blown out, you got blown out by the best in the nation, and there's no shame in that. Plus you get to see how you match up against the best. It should serve as a motivator.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider golfkill.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tpf-2016-impressions-thread-wrap-up?tu=golfkill and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.