(Topic ID: 155419)

TPF 2016 - Impressions thread & wrap-up

By NicoVolta

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
    2016-03-22_(resized).jpg
    2016-03-22_(1)_(resized).jpg
    2016-03-22_(2)_(resized).jpg
    IMG_3781_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3799_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3825_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3729_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3733_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3849_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3812_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3830_(resized).JPG
    image_(resized).jpeg
    Whysnow_(resized).jpg
    Lumbergh_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Spraynard.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#188 8 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Crawling, maybe. Austin and Houston have it right. Dallas and all of the north half of Texas, is failing, utterly and horribly, at promoting pinball. With only two VIABLE locations that have multiple pins that I'm aware of (Sorry, I love Free Play Arcade, but they haven't shown the skill and/or willingness to have their pins stand up to constant abuse AND play well....not even great....just well. Here's hoping that changes, as their arcade games are pretty choice, IMO.) We have very few tournaments, no leagues to speak of, and those two locations frankly aren't great for supporting tourneys OR leagues IMO.
    Don't think the guys in ATX/HOU have any idea just how lucky they are. Their areas may become very important to pinball over the next few years, but Dallas? Hah. Keep on dreaming. We have far too many hermits and "good old boys" around the area for anyone to care to do the things that are necessary to have a functional community up here, and I was tired of beating my head against that wall a year ago. Things can always change, of course, but I'm not holding my breath.

I think Houston is actually very similar to Dallas. We have next to nothing in the way of location pinball. The few locations there are, the games are in a pretty bad state. We also have the same old guard of collectors and flippers. All great guys, just more interested in collecting than playing the game.

Despite these obstacles, we've managed to grow a pretty vibrant pinball scene. Our regular league location is not a pinball location at all, but a bar next to a retail shop in downtown, and the owner was kind enough to loan 6 games every week. We didn't have a good location, so we made one! Moreover, you have to market outside of the "old guard." The SCPL has thrived almost entirely on new comers. Advertise on Reddit, post flyers, talk to people at the arcade, encourage people to bring friends, etc. If you make a fun, inclusive environment, the new comers will enjoy it, and they'll stick around.

My hope is that we can keep the momentum rolling, and that somehow this will translate into more location pinball. That may be a pipedream, but we'll see what happens!

#205 8 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I got blown out by myself. Not even scoring 10 million on GOT was just horrible, and even then I lost by ONE shot because I picked the orbit instead of the ramp and didn't get control back. Just stupid, stupid decisions, both in games to pick and what I did with them. Joe Kosack is the one that whacked me, and clearly I don't need to feel bad about losing to him since he ended up in the final four. I'm just embarassed with my own performance, is all.
    I went because it was something I consider once-in-a-lifetime, but the less times I can remember doing that poorly at something...maybe the better. It's a really bitter pill to go out first round, it's going to take a while to get that taste out. I've already signed up for one tournament next month...I guess I'm not down and out yet.

I went 0-4 on my trip to nationals a couple years ago. At least you got one win!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Spraynard.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tpf-2016-impressions-thread-wrap-up?tu=Spraynard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.