TOM_Cap - 1 (1) (resized).png
TOM_Cap - 6 (resized).png
nitte (resized).JPG
TOM_Cap - 2 (resized).png
TOM_Cap - 1 (resized).png
12v-out (resized).JPG
12v (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

My TOM had some occasional odd behaviors. The caps were original. I replaced the 25V 15000MF caps with 35V 15000MF.

TP1 measures 10V (should be 12V unregulated)
TP6 measures 67V (should be 50V)
TP8 measures 16V (should be 18V)

Had I expected problems, I would have measure the voltage before.

Clearly the low voltages are a problem. A bit high is OK, but is 67V too high?

I played a couple of balls on it. The flippers were really weak, especially after cradling the ball. Then it started kicking out multiple balls into the shooter lane, so I powered off.

I'm not sure what my next steps are.

#2 6 years ago

Weak flippers could be flippers that need to be rebuilt. Your 50V is fine, so that’s not an issue.

Check the ball trough optical switches. Games eject multiple balls when it can’t keep track of balls in the trough. Common problem.

Marc

#3 6 years ago

>>Your 50V is fine
Great. Thanks.

Flippers were fine before the cap changes. Also, I rebuilt the flippers a few months ago.

My main question is around how I isolate the problem with the low voltage.

#4 6 years ago

The 12v is low and that’s what runs your flipper cabinet switches, so there’s something to fix for sure.

You need to follow the power and measure it as it comes into the driver board and measure it from point to point until you find where it drops.

#5 6 years ago

Sure. Makes sense. I didn't know if too much current draw might also cause a low voltage - but I suppose it couldn't draw more current than the fuses allow.

#6 6 years ago

There are only a few components in the 12v circuit. There is a bridge rectifier and the capacitor you changed. Then the 12v is send to port (jumper) J116, J117 og J118 pin 2. See schematics below.

So I would point my attention to the bridge rectifier.
And - also check the capacitor again. It's more or less impossible to change that, without damaging the through hole. So you should check that the repair you have done is solid and you have good continuity and connection from the cap to the PCB.

Good luck

12v (resized).JPG12v (resized).JPG

12v-out (resized).JPG12v-out (resized).JPG

#7 6 years ago

They are separate circuits. The 50v being that high is totally normal. Your 12v circuit is where you need to look. It’s powering all the optical switches which is the common voltage in all of your issues.

Always suspect prior rework; those caps are delicate. I still don’t like working on them and I finally have the right gear and a decent amount of experience.

Paging zaza

Good luck.

Marc

#8 6 years ago

Good to know about the caps. A good lesson, I suppose. Next time I won't be so quick to change components. I DID damage some of the through holes, for sure. One had to have a jumper wire because there was nothing to solder to.

I did a continuity check on everything. But I'll do some more testing and report the results.

BTW, a friend who owns MANY machines says he doesn't believe the low voltage is enough to be a problem. I don't know about that. Maybe something else went wrong at the same time; but the flippers were noticeably weaker.

#9 6 years ago

It’s a 12v circuit not a 10v for a reason

#10 6 years ago

typical values for testpoints are somewhat higher for TP6 and TP8.
But TP1 12Vunr is 14.5-15.0 Volt (without load) so the 10 Volt you measured is too low.
And without capacitor C30 the ir-LED is pulsing at 120Hz. I can imagine that it will cause a weak flipper.

#11 6 years ago

I removed connectors to ensure that there was no load on the 12VU. It still measures 10V. I measure the AC voltage at the input J112 and got 12VAC. It's gonna be awfully hard to get 14-15VU DC on TP1, with a 12VAC input to the BR.

So I'm working my way backward.

Does anybody have a reference of where to go to help me traverse back? The TOM operations manual isn't much help with schematics. My MSF has pretty complete schematics for everything.

#12 6 years ago

OK, on P 3-26, it says J112 White-Green 9.8VAC from xfrmr secondary.

Somebody help me understand, how putting 9.8VAC through a bridge rectifier, and smoothing it with a capacitor, is going to yield > 10V DC.

Clearly, I am rusty with my electrical knowledge.

#13 6 years ago

I think I've found the source of the problem. I removed C30 (that I had recently replaced). Attached are photos of the top and bottom of the circuit board.

HERE IS THE PROBLEM (or at least A problem): I did a continuity test between the top and bottom eyelet ring, and it came up as an open circuit. Because the run is on the TOP of the circuit board, the cap was not making proper connection.

This means I must have pulled the eyelet. I think they sell circuit board repair kits with replacement eyelets.

TOM_Cap - 1 (resized).pngTOM_Cap - 1 (resized).png
TOM_Cap - 2 (resized).pngTOM_Cap - 2 (resized).png

#14 6 years ago

I would send it to ChrisHibler for repair. Let him go over the whole thing and make it right.

Marc

#15 6 years ago

You have a few options here.

The easy option is to follow the suggestion of Marc and send it out for repair. It will take some time and cost some money. But then it's done with!

The other option is to repair it yourself. The - not so good looking - repair requires that you run a jumper wire from the cap. This can be done with the right soldering skills and wire. I'm not a fan - but it will work. The other option is to do the repair the hard way. However - it requires tools you might not have and skills above average. You'll need 1,5 mm rivets and a tool to install them in the PCB. And just for the record - I don't own the tools or skills

If you prefer to go by jumper wire you already have the schematics needed. If you look at the images I posted in my last reply I'll see where the plus and minus of the cap should go.

Good luck!

nitte (resized).JPGnitte (resized).JPG

#16 6 years ago

I am definitely going to learn how to replace the rivet/eyelets. Thanks for the image showing the proper size. But for now, I am going to solder a trace wire. I can remove the wires when I install the eyelets. I'll let you know whether it solves the issue.

Hopefully somebody else can learn from my mistake.

#17 6 years ago

In some cases you don't have to replace the through hole eyelets. You can simply elevate the cap on its leads and solder it to the top side of the board where the traces are (and where the top of the eyelets are intact). To secure the cap against vibration apply a dab of silicone or hot melt glue between the cap and board.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

elevate the cap on its leads and solder it to the top side

I thought of that. I have some silicone around somewhere. So there is no reason to NOT try this first.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from UltraPeepi:

I thought of that. I have some silicone around somewhere. So there is no reason to NOT try this first.

It will be fine in a case like this. If there were traces on more than one side or couldn't get to it because of iron clearance issues, then I'd go for eyelet repair.

#20 6 years ago

Stop...hold it right there. Step away from the board slowly...
First, you've learned to not replace parts without a really, really good reason.
Removing those caps, as noted above, is tough to do without proper tools, technique, experience.
I use an iron tip that reaches both leads so I can heat them both at the same time. No other way works reliably (except ChipQuik).

Perform a "solder stitch". See: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=General#Repairing_traces_or_creating_a_.22solder_stitch.22

If you raise the part off the board, you'll create a "moment arm". The mass of the cap will vibrate and eventually cause an issue. You won't have a solid mechanical connection...even with glue, which is ugly...don't even think of it.

I've used this technique hundreds of times. It works and works well.

You =could= rebuild the through-hole, but it's costly, and you can get by without doing that.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Perform a "solder stitch"

I accept your terms.

I was just watching a video where this was mentioned (at the 2:30 mark)

The pinwiki link gives it in good detail. Thanks.

#22 6 years ago

The solder stitch was straight forward and easy. I just scraped off a bit of the run, and soldered some strands of wire. TP1 is now reading 14.4V.

I verified that this was the only replaced cap that had an issue. However TP8 is still reading a bit low: 16.6V, when it should be 18V.

I ordered some eyelets. I'll practice on some useless circuit boards before I install them on my power board. If I install them, I'll post the results here.

TOM_Cap - 1 (1) (resized).pngTOM_Cap - 1 (1) (resized).png
TOM_Cap - 6 (resized).pngTOM_Cap - 6 (resized).png

#23 6 years ago

16.6 is fine. 18 is merely the spec. You'll be OK
Nice job on the stitch.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact/
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from mcklit:

1,5 mm rivets and a tool to install them in the PCB

Help. Here is what I ordered
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018RSYL1K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

The product details say
"Total Size : 3mmx3mm(Dmax x H);SIze : M1.5x3 (Dmin x H)"

What I received, however, appears to be much smaller. I measure with my caliper. The outer diameter of the eyelet is 2.1mm, the outer diameter of the shaft is 0.8mm, the height is 2.3mm.

Did I order the right thing, but was just sent the wrong item? It seems so to me. Or did I order the wrong size? If what I ordered was wrong, can someone provide a link to the correct size eyelets?

Thanks.

1 week later
#25 6 years ago

So - I'm back from vacation.

Looks to me, like you got the wrong item. Just looking at the height - which by spec says it should be 3 mm. - tells me that something is wrong. You should talk to Amazon and have the item returned and replaced with the eyelet I posted above.

If you look at the screen dump I posted with the 1.5 mm eyelet, you can see the specs in German language. I'm not an expert in German, but as far as I understand it, the measures should be:

Inner size: 1.5 mm.
Outer size: 1.9 mm.
Shaft height: 2.7 mm.
Head size: 3.1 mm.

But keep in mind that you need the right tools also to "install" the eyelet in the PCB.

Good luck and keep us posted on the progress.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from UltraPeepi:

I played a couple of balls on it. The flippers were really weak, especially after cradling the ball. Then it started kicking out multiple balls into the shooter lane, so I powered off.
I'm not sure what my next steps are.

Just thought I would add.... it was quite astute of you to notice the flipper behavior. What happened here exactly is your 12 Volt voltage dropped as you noted. This affects the flipper optos so that they send a very rapid on/off repeated pulse to the fliptronics which leads to bad things. Instead of a flipper coil switching from high power coil to low power when the flipper is held, to rapidly pulsing the high power coil only. So rapid in fact, its the same as keeping the high coil constantly energized. This gets the coil very hot in a hurry. If you would have felt it, it would have been extremely hot. When coils get this hot, their power is reduced. Not sure why, but they do. Much more of that and you would have blown the fuse, melted the coil, or a combination of the 2. You're probably ok, but might want to check coil resistance just to be safe. Good luck. Sounds like you are on your way to getting the 12V issure figured out....

-Jeff

4 years later
#27 2 years ago

F116 low 12v pin(7v) but the 5v pin is good. I’m using a ColorDMD splitter at F116. Which isn’t turning on due to low 12v. Ball trough sometimes ejecting all the balls as Power on to troubleshoot. I believe F116 is the reason as well. I tested
TP1 4
TP2 5
TP3 12
TP4 0.359
TP6 71
TP8 17
Any ideas?
Also the F116 fuse is glowing red as if is overheating.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 11.95
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Manteca, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tp1-tp8-low-voltage?hl=ultrapeepi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.