(Topic ID: 297497)

Toys: Probably Not the First Person To Ask...

By JustAl

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by gouveia
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

I know we cannot force people / companies to "make stuff", but am curious why the aftermarket for toys (specifically WoZ) has seemingly dried up(?). I purchased my WoZ awhile back and cruise different forums looking for some toys to personalize this pin. Given that there are a bunch of these pins out there, why limit the amount of witch smoke, tornados, Totos, etc.? I'm sure that the demand is there and (frankly) I don't see the point of driving the price up to $400 for a single piece of resin - although I respect the time and development - when they present themselves (about as often as lightening strikes). I missed a tornado on eBay months ago that went for $80 (I was on vacation and not checking...), which I consider a reasonable purchase. Pinblades are still making their stuff and maybe I'm not looking in the right place - but they seem to be the only ones. Thoughts?

#2 2 years ago

Mod companies are working on current and future games.

Probably have trouble making a lot of something and then storing it until if it sells.

Same with playfields, ramps, plastics. Grab while the grabbing is good.

LTG : )

#3 2 years ago

Thanks LTG and yes, I understand "...Grab while the grabbing is good..." but that's my point. I'm sure there is a market of interested buyers and it's not like someone needs to make and stock thousands of toys. As I pointed out with PinBlades, they get it - why not everyone else? If I had the knowledge and experience (and a 3D printer?), I'd make and sell as many toys as I could. Peace.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from JustAl:

I know we cannot force people / companies to "make stuff", but am curious why the aftermarket for toys (specifically WoZ) has seemingly dried up(?). I purchased my WoZ awhile back and cruise different forums looking for some toys to personalize this pin. Given that there are a bunch of these pins out there, why limit the amount of witch smoke, tornados, Totos, etc.? I'm sure that the demand is there and (frankly) I don't see the point of driving the price up to $400 for a single piece of resin - although I respect the time and development - when they present themselves (about as often as lightening strikes). I missed a tornado on eBay months ago that went for $80 (I was on vacation and not checking...), which I consider a reasonable purchase. Pinblades are still making their stuff and maybe I'm not looking in the right place - but they seem to be the only ones. Thoughts?

Because newer games tend to sell WAY more than games which have been around for 8 years. And almost all mod makers have a day job and limited time, so they need to spend their time on mods which will make them the most money as quickly as possible. It makes no sense to spend time creating something only to store it in inventory, when you’ve got something you’re reasonably sure will sell well right away.

#5 2 years ago

I think Lloyd has it right. why is spooky only making 1250 Halloween games when they sold out in a few hours. Sometimes parts for mods become hard to find, the labor time might be too high or people want to move on to new things. Most mod makers are small companies (if they are even a company) and making 100 of an older mod means they can’t be working on new stuff. Also, to make mods, you have to build up an inventory of parts, buying them in quantity to keep costs down. Ordering a handful of parts to make a handful of tornadoes, for example, may not make sense.

#6 2 years ago

Yeah sometimes an amazing mod is made and the creator just straight disappears. Other times they are really good at keeping lists and making everybody happy. But every time they eventually sell out and stop making them. Some guy is asking $800 for the flying Monkey mod!

The WoZ mods are some of the most popular cause it seems every WoZ owner just has to mod their game!

#7 2 years ago

You're kind of talking about diffferent things. The witch you mention is mine (and the monkey). But I'm not a company. I make all of my mods by hand in my garage. And when I make 200 or whatever, I need to take a break from them because they take months to finish and it's exhausting. Plus, I like making new and different things.

3D printed stuff or Pinblades are made by machines, so the design is readily available to companies at literally the push of a button.

The other toys you mention aren't actually mods. Those were made by Matt Riesterer for JJP and came stock on the Ruby Red version of WOZ. But I believe they're still available here if you'd like to put them in your machine:

https://backalleycreations.com/collections/wizard-of-oz-pinball-mods

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from gouveia:

You're kind of talking about diffferent things. The witch you mention is mine (and the monkey). But I'm not a company. I make all of my mods by hand in my garage. And when I make 200 or whatever, I need to take a break from them because they take months to finish and it's exhausting. Plus, I like making new and different things.
3D printed stuff or Pinblades are made by machines, so the design is readily available to companies at literally the push of a button.
The other toys you mention aren't actually mods. Those were made by Matt Riesterer for JJP and came stock on the Ruby Red version of WOZ. But I believe they're still available here if you'd like to put them in your machine:
https://backalleycreations.com/collections/wizard-of-oz-pinball-mods

gouveia, I wasn't aiming my conversation directly at you and am aware that you're the infamous "witch mod" creator. LOVE your work and respect the time & effort that you have in your hobby. I just find it funny that more folks haven't stood up a business (even with a machine) to fill an obvious need. I'd find it hard to believe that I'm the only one in this boat (i.e. a couple years late to the dance and an admirer of the work). Thanks for the link (I'm putting a tornado on order this morning) and best wishes. Would love to find links for all of the other "kewl stuff" out there (e.g. apples on top of trees, lit tree lights, etc.) - and YES, I'll continue to be on the lookout for one of those smoked witches... p.s. do you hand carve the smoke ring from a solid block / would you mind sharing the process if it's done by hand?

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from JustAl:

gouveia, I wasn't aiming my conversation directly at you and am aware that you're the infamous "witch mod" creator. LOVE your work and respect the time & effort that you have in your hobby. I just find it funny that more folks haven't stood up a business (even with a machine) to fill an obvious need. I'd find it hard to believe that I'm the only one in this boat (i.e. a couple years late to the dance and an admirer of the work). Thanks for the link (I'm putting a tornado on order this morning) and best wishes. Would love to find links for all of the other "kewl stuff" out there (e.g. apples on top of trees, lit tree lights, etc.) - and YES, I'll continue to be on the lookout for one of those smoked witches... p.s. do you hand carve the smoke ring from a solid block / would you mind sharing the process if it's done by hand?

I do think there are other creators making similar mods. There's a different witch smoke mod. There's different mods for the crystal ball and the munchkin house.

I do think there is only one flying monkey though!

#10 2 years ago

Thanks Flippy and the others who have both provided their knowledge and educated me (and whoever else reads this) where some of these mods exist. I do appreciate that no one decided to flame spray my post or any of the responses provided. My entire collection, outside of this pin, doesn't offer any "toy experience" (that I know of) and I'll continue looking for new vendors. I see there are some promoted items on the PS Marketplace also...

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from JustAl:

Thanks Flippy and the others who have both provided their knowledge and educated me (and whoever else reads this) where some of these mods exist. I do appreciate that no one decided to flame spray my post or any of the responses provided. My entire collection, outside of this pin, doesn't offer any "toy experience" (that I know of) and I'll continue looking for new vendors. I see there are some promoted items on the PS Marketplace also...

Happy to help ya! I love modding my games and about 50% of the pleasure comes from the hunt for something cool.

If you really want to see everything that's on offer you need to search Pinside, Google, and eBay, and use a lot of different search terms. You'll find tiny shops and creators, websites that look 15 years old, websites in French or German or Russian, all kinds of janky crappy mods and amazingly beautiful ones that were sold out years ago.

And of course nothing should stop you from making your own! Most of the people selling mods started with an idea for themselves and then began sharing it with others.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from JustAl:

Infamous?! haha. I don't know about that. But thank you. And I'm happy to share with you how I do my mods. Basically, everything I make is first sculpted in clay. Once I like the design and look of it, I cast it in resin. Then it's sanded and painted. That's pretty much it, unless there's electronics or springs or whatever. I try to show a lot of that on my thread, so if you look at the photo gallery or watch the videos you can kind of get the idea.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.50
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 16.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 91.00
11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/toys-probably-not-the-first-person-to-ask?hl=justal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.