Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ts1 (resized).jpg
65269980_2820240744716948_6713687242663002112_n (resized).jpg
Toy-story2-disneyscreencaps.com-8243 (resized).jpg

There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 4 years ago

I love the idea of Toy Story but also think Coco would make a great machine!

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

I think they would be better of going for vaiana or even better Coco.
Thoose stores are better suited for pinball, esp Coco.
The music is better. The characters are not as high profile=better shot at getting assets, call out voices etc.
Booth vaiana and Coco are more likely to also draw in alternative ethnic groups into pinball.
It all makes sense.
Also.....
Coco is absolutely visually stunning, which can not be said for toy story.

Toy Story is a 24 year old franchise, it has much wider appeal than either of those. Don't get me wrong, Moana and Coco are incredible... But they don't have the benefit of having an entire generation of people who grew up with them yet.

2 months later
#53 4 years ago

Any update on the release schedule? Anyone heard anything. People are saying in’s and roses first which would put toy story late fall?

#54 4 years ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

Toy Story is a 24 year old franchise, it has much wider appeal than either of those. Don't get me wrong, Moana and Coco are incredible... But they don't have the benefit of having an entire generation of people who grew up with them yet.

Thanks for the comment, sorry for the late reply.
Agreed just considering the movie themself, but both Coco and moana has a cultural and almost religious aspect, closely tied to latino and Polynesian culture.
Latinos are to my knowledge the fastest growing ethnic group of the us and polynesia/nz/aus is a steadily growing pinball market.

#55 4 years ago
Quoted from Toppers:

Any update on the release schedule? Anyone heard anything. People are saying in’s and roses first which would put toy story late fall?

I'm confident you will be correct guessing late fall. I wish it was next, but probably GNR. I'm waiting on toy story big time.

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

Blatant rip-off from another post
My JJP interest level:
WOZ 45%
Hobbit 100% (currently own Smaug LE)
Dialed In 73%
JJPPOTC 58%
Wonka 84%
GnR -100%
Toy Story "To Infinity and Beyond"%
Must have the Buzz Lightyear SE with phosphorescent green armouring!

What’re you, 12? I’m not judging though...

#57 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

What’re you, 12? I’m not judging though...

Young at heart

4 months later
#58 3 years ago

If JJP only has a "lunchbox" licensing agreement with Disney as has been stated on podcasts of late, are we to expect a lack of assets when Toy Story comes out? I thought I read somewhere that JJP had gone back to Disney to try to renegotiate.

#59 3 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

If JJP only has a "lunchbox" licensing agreement with Disney as has been stated on podcasts of late, are we to expect a lack of assets when Toy Story comes out? I thought I read somewhere that JJP had gone back to Disney to try to renegotiate.

The entire game will be call-outs from Mr. Potato Head only. Kidding, but a limited license would be awful. This game is on my "purchase on day 1" list.

#60 3 years ago

If Toy Stort is really JJP #7 and has limited assets I'm out. No more pictures or videos from the film that don't feature the actors faces / voices. There needs to be a vast majority of licensed assets for the prices now being asked.

The only JJP pin based on a license that has used a license fully is Hobbit, all others have fallen short in one way or another. Hell even Wonka has a ton of clips where once again you don't hear the actors voices.

#61 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

If Toy Stort is really JJP #6 and has limited assets I'm out. No more pictures or videos from the film that don't feature the actors faces / voices. There needs to be a vast majority of licensed assets for the prices now being asked.
The only JJP pin based on a license that has used a license fully is Hobbit, all others have fallen short in one way or another. Hell even Wonka has a ton of clips where once again you don't hear the actors voices.

Toy Story is #7. Probably next year with all that's going on.

#62 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

If Toy Stort is really JJP #6 and has limited assets I'm out. No more pictures or videos from the film that don't feature the actors faces / voices. There needs to be a vast majority of licensed assets for the prices now being asked.

Hobbit's assets are amazing, but even that game uses a Gandalf sound alike. Despite pirates having not as good of assets, they still did it SUPER WELL. Yeah, they don't show clips with any actors, but damn what they do with the screen is effing awesome.

Would it be cool to have Woody and Buzz talking on the pin? Absolutley. But there are some very good Woody and Buzz sound alike that have been used that would be pretty good.

Also, Woz did a great job in its assets, too.

9 months later
#63 3 years ago

Soooo... y'all still think we're going to get a Toy Story pin? That's the first theme my wife has approved a $10k spend on

#64 3 years ago
Quoted from adam12hicks:

Soooo... y'all still think we're going to get a Toy Story pin? That's the first theme my wife has approved a $10k spend on

I hope so but it probably wont be until summer 2022 at the earliest. I hope I'm wrong about the timing.

#65 3 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

I hope so but it probably wont be until summer 2022 at the earliest. I hope I'm wrong about the timing.

You're killin' me.

I'm so hoping it'll be JJP's next announcement. I was thinking around June maybe?

#66 3 years ago
Quoted from adam12hicks:

Better go ask you wife for an increase on the spending limit. They just upped the price to $10.5k for the LE.

1 week later
#67 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

If Toy Stort is really JJP #7 and has limited assets I'm out. No more pictures or videos from the film that don't feature the actors faces / voices. There needs to be a vast majority of licensed assets for the prices now being asked.

I just care about it being a fun game to play, which all of them have been. I don’t need to watch the movie on the pin.

#68 3 years ago

Dammit, JJP. Just announce it already.

#69 3 years ago

My guess would be thanksgiving at the earliest .Got a lot of GnRs to rattle off .

#70 3 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

My guess would be thanksgiving at the earliest .Got a lot of GnRs to rattle off .

Exactly. They are behind on GnR.

#71 3 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Exactly. They are behind on GnR.

There's been a bit of a flu going round.

#72 3 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

Nooooooooooo! (Although you're probably right.)

I'm on a list for a CE. Everytime I look at the space that it's going to go, I think about putting another pin there for the time being but keep hoping an announcement is soon.

#73 3 years ago
Quoted from wfumed2:

I love the idea of Toy Story but also think Coco would make a great machine!

Coco with beautiful artwork and a UV glow kit (a la Stranger Things) could be an amazing machine. Couple it with the great music from the movie and it would be a winner in the hands of a masterful designer.

#74 3 years ago

There are SO many actors in Toy Story I really wonder what will happen with sound assets. It's amazing that POTC goes for without licensed sounds / music from the movie. I wonder if they'll go licensed or single actor callouts or soundalikes.

Maybe the GNR increase will "soften the blow" for licensing.

#75 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

IMO this goes for any pin with a licensed theme, particularly when it comes to voice work. You’re not going to get the A-listers, but there are distinct voices like Wallace Shawn, John Ratzenberger and Blake Clark who could provide enough character to the machine with their callouts to make it feel genuine.

#76 3 years ago

I’m sure it’s been mentioned, but toy manufacturers have been using Jim Hanks (Tom’s brother) for Woody’s voice when they can’t get the real deal. I’m not sure how much that would affect the licensing costs.

#77 3 years ago
Quoted from MasterBlaster:

IMO this goes for any pin with a licensed theme, particularly when it comes to voice work. You’re not going to get the A-listers, but there are distinct voices like Wallace Shawn, John Ratzenberger and Blake Clark who could provide enough character to the machine with their callouts to make it feel genuine.

I completely agree with this. They likely wont get Tom Hanks, but if they get the ones you mentioned, it will be ok. It might still be possible for them to get Hanks since he has done a fair bit of voice work. Even if its just a few lines.

I actually expect a UV light system like some suggested because Buzz’s suit has glow in the dark pieces to it. Plus the arcade in the first movies has a lot of neon/black lighting. They are well known for their lighting now, and I dont see any reason this one would be different. I worked hard to get a project at work that will give me lots of overtime to be able to afford an LE. If assets are limited and it turns out more like PotC than GNR, I can live with that.

Lets hope that sales for GNR drop off so that can get it done and move on to the next game, whatever it is.

#78 3 years ago

Without seeming ignorant, why do people want children's themes for pinball machines all the time?

Not trying to be rude, just don't understand why someone would want the childhood things that are either for their children, grandchildren or their own past childhood. I'm interested in adult things nowadays mostly i think.

I thought Toy Story was entertaining and got some laughs out of it while watching it with the grandkids, thought it may reinforce some of the social concepts they were learning and left it behind as a grandkids popular movie to be replaced by Boxtrolls or whatever was next.
It certainly didn't fill me with longing to bring it into other parts of my life, so trying to figure out what it is.

#79 3 years ago

Some people like things that you don't.
This is the #1 "problem" people have "understanding;" and it seems to be a super simple concept.

Edit: you can dig deeper if you want and hear Rarehero tell you for the 1000 time its not a kids movie. Or you can look up when sentimentality means...or you can just accept people like diff'rent things.

#80 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

This is the #1 "problem" people have "understanding;" and it seems to be a super simple concept.

I was in the middle of a long response about themes being subjective, not being a fan of Deadpool but absolutely loving the pin, blah blah blah, but this response sums it up succinctly.

In my case, I love the first two movies and it's something I can share with my daughter and grandson. Simple as that.

#81 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Without seeming ignorant, why do people want children's themes for pinball machines all the time?
Not trying to be rude, just don't understand why someone would want the childhood things that are either for their children, grandchildren or their own past childhood. I'm interested in adult things nowadays mostly i think.
I thought Toy Story was entertaining and got some laughs out of it while watching it with the grandkids, thought it may reinforce some of the social concepts they were learning and left it behind as a grandkids popular movie to be replaced by Boxtrolls or whatever was next.
It certainly didn't fill me with longing to bring it into other parts of my life, so trying to figure out what it is.

...also, I checked out your collection....Very cool line up! Nice mix of newer/older games.

As someone who has spent considerable time on Rob Zombie's Spookshow, I don't understand how anyone can enjoy it. But that's just my opinion.

Doesn't make me right or wrong. Just my preference.

#82 3 years ago

I don’t think this pin will be a financial success for JJP. It’s somewhere between wonka and DI from a theme demand perspective in my humble opinion

#83 3 years ago

Any idea on who will be the designer? Eric .. I am probably in. Anyone else and I am in "wait and see" mode. POTC and GnR are both ingenious pins.

#84 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

I don’t think this pin will be a financial success for JJP. It’s somewhere between wonka and DI from a theme demand perspective in my humble opinion

I disagree. Disney/Pixar films and Toy Story in particular, are internationally known and loved. Non pinhead Pixar collectors with disposable income will also be drawn to the pin.

Wonkas' sales suffered from lack of assists (based on a musical with zero music) and DI sold poorly because of the theme although those that own it seem to love it. I'm not a fan but then we're back to the subjectivity discussion.

Who knows...I could be wrong. I think JJP learned their lesson with Wonka and I'm really looking forward to owning a Toy Story CE.

#85 3 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

Any idea on who will be the designer? Eric .. I am probably in. Anyone else and I am in "wait and see" mode. POTC and GnR are both ingenious pins.

Pat Lawlor.

#86 3 years ago

I think the theme could be great in pinball. All the mech options they would have, and the voices and the music is nostalgic. I see this in more in line with WOZ. It could be a very good selling pin for JJP.

#87 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Edit: you can dig deeper if you want and hear Rarehero tell you for the 1000 time its not a kids movie. Or you can look up when sentimentality means...or you can just accept people like diff'rent things.

No, it's not that, i understand that concept very well. Rob Zombie is a case in point.

I hate heavy metal music and didn't have a clue who Rob Zombie is, i hate Gun's and roses music too (cept for used to love here and i like that sung by others), I hate the walking Dead tv show, but like the pinball. I just like those pinball machines, despite the shitty theme not because of it.

I understand quite well that others like cheese and i don't. I just don't understand why adults pine for childhood concepts and experiences, the whole lost youth thing.
People who's band is still their favourite band from when they were 15. And they want a pinball of some old wrinkly fucks belting out the same songs that they sang thirty years ago because said wrinkly fucks either didn't write new, better music or their wrinkly fans held them back from having their music mature with them.
We're now different people than we were when we were 15 and music has moved a long way forward. I don't listen to Pink Floyd 80% of the time anymore. i grew up and music evolved

I also don't understand the concept behind the whole theme worship thing. I buy games that i like to play, that have good mechs, layout and integration with theme and art.

I won't be able to get you guys to understand the question, or if you do it'll just be another defensive response delivered about my lack of social awareness, so I'll leave it with you.

ts1 (resized).jpgts1 (resized).jpg

#88 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

I just don't understand why adults pine for childhood concepts and experiences, the whole lost youth thing.

I would go to Disney World yearly with my wife, way before we had any kids. We love the characters, the stories, the joy it brought us to be on Main Street. Is it nostaligia? Sure. Does it make us feel like kids again? Absolutely. But the idea that Toy Story, or many of the other Disney/Pixar films are just kid themed isn't exactly true. Those films introduce adult themes that deal with huge life issues. Toy Story 2 was about what happens when you are no longer loved. Toy Story 3 was about mortality. Sure,it was wrapped in beautiful CG colors and shiny toys delivered the lines, but a story about a character facing their own mortality is not just for children. That movie hit me in such a deep way, don't think I ever had such an emotional experience in the theater. So, Toy Story, for me is a theme that works for all ages.

Now, other themes, such as Turtles and Wonka, are more kid-centric. But they do aim to push our nostalgia buttons. I am a sucker for that feeling of enjoying something I loved as a kid. It's why I stop to watch a Six Million Dollar episode if I see it on Youtube, or check out a He-Man repro toy that's released by Mondo. Reminds me of a carefree time. Heck, for me, just stepping up to a pinball machine activates some long lost memory of being a kid. Regardless of the theme. So, some people just enjoy being reminded of a time when they could play...before bills and politics and pandemics and thoughts of our own mortality. Hope that sheds some light on why some people like family friendly themes. Best to you!

#89 3 years ago

Does indeed mate, thank you for the thoughtful and to the point response.

I guess i understand when you say it like that why others get that feeling, even if for me it's a slight wistful flicker rather than something I'd want to spend all day or hours exploring.

It's not that i don't enjoy Toy Story, Shrek or Boxtrolls, but i only enjoy them if I'm watching them with the grandkids as I'm seeing it through their eyes and the wonder of discovery and the pathways that the social messages are opening to them to explore. It's my belief that this stuff and the Saturday morning cartoons have hooks that pass by the younger audience just so it will grab the adults if they happen to be watching with the kids. I don't see them as being written for adults.

There is not the slightest chance i'd put a DVD of any of those kids themed movies on if i was by myself or with my mates.

#90 3 years ago

You are absolutely correct that many shows and movies that are squarely aimed at children slip in adult jokes or casting choices that would appeal to the adult watching along with their child. The Pixar/Disney model is slightly different. Those are considered to be four quadrant projects. That just means they are setting out to make a film for every segment of the audience. It’s why if you watch a lot of the Pixar films they deal so heavily with deep issues of loss, death, failed dreams etc. They may star fish and toys and trash collecting robots but they speak to a deeper universal truth of what it means to be a human. If you have have set up a Disney Plus subscription to enjoy with the family, I encourage you to watch the new film Soul. A beautiful movie about what we do with the time on Earth that we are given. And what makes that life worthwhile. I watched with my kids but it was as deep a film as anything else I’ve seen in the last few years. Anyway, I am not trying to get you to become an avid Disney lover like me, just thought I’d give you a different perspective on some of the pinball themes that are being introduced these days and why they may be appealing to part of the pinball loving audience. That being said, I would love to flip Walking Dead or Iron Maiden if they showed up at my local arcade. I totally see the appeal of those machines. I wish you all the best.

#91 3 years ago
Quoted from Joeymonkey:

You are absolutely correct that many shows and movies that are squarely aimed at children slip in adult jokes or casting choices that would appeal to the adult watching along with their child. The Pixar/Disney model is slightly different. Those are considered to be four quadrant projects. That just means they are setting out to make a film for every segment of the audience. It’s why if you watch a lot of the Pixar films they deal so heavily with deep issues of loss, death, failed dreams etc. They may star fish and toys and trash collecting robots but they speak to a deeper universal truth of what it means to be a human. If you have have set up a Disney Plus subscription to enjoy with the family, I encourage you to watch the new film Soul. A beautiful movie about what we do with the time on Earth that we are given. And what makes that life worthwhile. I watched with my kids but it was as deep a film as anything else I’ve seen in the last few years. Anyway, I am not trying to get you to become an avid Disney lover like me, just thought I’d give you a different perspective on some of the pinball themes that are being introduced these days and why they may be appealing to part of the pinball loving audience. That being said, I would love to flip Walking Dead or Iron Maiden if they showed up at my local arcade. I totally see the appeal of those machines. I wish you all the best.

I still get weepy when I watch "Up."

#92 3 years ago
Quoted from Joeymonkey:

Thank you mate, i asked about the reasoning because it was something i didn't understand but wanted to.
So to that point you have helped me.

I live alone now and don't watch any television at all. I listen to music all day, not a philosophical decision, just no interest in anything on TV.

Thanks for taking the time to help me understand that there's more to it than what i see. I'll not be getting as excited over theme as you guys but will get why it's important to you.

BTW, loving my GnR that landed on Saturday, and still play my Hobbit, so the interest from me is definitely in the 'what JJP is next' part of the the thread title.

#93 3 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

I did get a bit misty when i took my grandaughter to the flix to see Boxtrolls and the Moama volcano short film came on before it.

#94 3 years ago

Glad I could help. And your town may have the best name of any location on Pinside!
Also, glad you like GNR. Still waiting on mine but got to play it at the local pinball museum and I love it. Can’t wait to get it! Have a great day!

#95 3 years ago
Quoted from Joeymonkey:

Glad I could help. And your town may have the best name of any location on Pinside!

You'd love what the locals call it then 'Woopi'.

The name Woolgoolga comes from 'wiigulga', the Gumbaynggirr word for the black apple tree of which Aborigines ate the fallen fruit.

The towns nick name of Woopi has a more mischievous history.

"One of our elderly residents said it began as a bit of a derogatory term," Mrs Fayle said.

"There were some football matches back in the old days and some of the teams that visited to play the Woolgoolga team thought Woolgoolga was a bit like woop woop.

"And so the woopi chant originated, and it stuck," she said.

#96 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

I won't be able to get you guys to understand the question, or if you do it'll just be another defensive response delivered about my lack of social awareness, so I'll leave it with you.
[quoted image]

I understand your question, I just think it's a pointless one to answer. To you it must be pining for childhood when others it doesn't have anything to do with that. It's a decent theme as anything I guess, but you won't find me being defensive because I wouldn't be buying one, unless it turned out to be a great game.
Edit: sounds like the over excitement aboot themes in general you may have an issue with...which i would agree with you there.

#97 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

This is a valid question!
In this particular case, my guess is that they’re planning on it being a prime candidate for locations. The home market is of course very important (especially right now) but in general I think that most of these manufacturers still consider locations/operators to be their primary market. I heard on a podcast recently (can’t remember which one, maybe one on TPN) that Dave & Busters restaurants is bringing back pinball, which would sell a lot of units. There are many other arcades/family fun centers where this machine would be an easy sell.
Also here in the states, anything 80s/90s-related is selling like mad. People are capitalizing on nostalgia over here, big time. Toy Story was a monstrous property, back in the day.
The kids who grew up with Toy Story their entire lives are now in their late 20s or early 30s, and likely in the beginnings of having some level of disposable income, so I think JJ assumes the market could be quite good for this particular theme in the US at least.
This is how I view the reasoning for this particular title. As for doing kid themes in general, (again heard on a podcast) adult themes or r-rated content were an enormous failure (from a sales standpoint) in the past, and particularly when it comes to Stern the podcasters didn’t believe that they would ever go down that road again. In the end, it’s all about what they will think will move the most units.

#98 3 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

Oh man the beginning when his wife dies I swear I had to turn away from my wife who asked if I was crying?
Shit the nuns at the orphanage beat that shit out of me but there it was.

#99 3 years ago
Quoted from Joeymonkey:

It's why I stop to watch a Six Million Dollar episode if I see it on Youtube,

You had me at Steve Austin

1 week later
#100 3 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

I think JJP learned their lesson with Wonka

Fastest "Well, this didn't age well" post ever.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life
Toys/Add-ons
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
Machine - For Sale
Charles Town, WV
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
Shooter rods
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/toy-story-will-be-my-first-jjp-nib/page/2?hl=wfumed2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.