Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 203 posts
  • 91 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Inpw
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which would you prefer?”

• Guns N' Roses 233 votes
      38%
    • Toy Story 380 votes
      62%

(613 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    nathan-fillion.gif
    BOTH1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dkjimbo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#104 3 years ago

I said this before and I’ll say it again - toy story is a bad license.

Bad Timing - Once again they are a day late and a dollar short (or years late). Missed the boat on the recent movie coming out and this is an ancient franchise in today’s market and by the time the pin is announced (much less released) the enthusiasm for anything Toy Story will have died down. Just like Hobbit.

Your kids and grandkids have no attention span - Those looking to provide this game as a family bonding experience for their kids or grandkids are doomed. Kids have ZERO attention span and after 5 minutes would rather go back to the video game of the week than to repeatedly play the same pin. Your kids and grandkids will not care and not be thankful and not be impressed any more than if you bought them a $60 PS4 game.

Toy Story hasn’t aged well - Toy Story movies, particularly the first and even the second have aged about as well as the “money for nothing” video by Dire Straits. Very poor video quality will not make for good background like Hobbit. It feels extremely dated. Using clips from all the movies will appear jarring and disjointed given the visual disparity over the years.

There isn’t any nostalgia - yes it’s a great heartfelt series but it as zero nostalgia for any era or any particular product line or soundtrack or ANYTHING that drives the feeling of nostalgia the way franchises like TMNT, BTTF, Star Wars, etc do. It is generic in every sense which drives no nostalgic connection to anyone or anything.

The sentiment is lost on the pinball audience - what is the theme or actual message of a Toy Story pin? A warm-hearted tear jerker / comedy cartoon does not provide any sort of narrative that remotely aligns with or easily translates to a pinball machine. Creating a pin around this license requires dumbing it down to non-story based charater / identity driven modes and themes. No one playing pinball is looking for that “awweee, so cute!!” Moment or that “wow this means so much I’m going to go home and reflect on my life and relationships” type moment...both are what the movies are about. Great for film, pointless for pinball.

The demographic is all wrong - the audience that has any tie to this franchise is traditionally not in the age group for most pinball buyers unless you are one of the older crowd who wants to buy this for your kids or grandkids and we have already touched on that topic above. This theme has no place in a “barcade” The themes that resonate are obvious...familiar bands, comic franchises, 80s throwback themes, nostalgia driven themes, etc....of which Toy Story fits none.

I only bring this up because I am concerned for JJP. I want them to succeed and pray to god the GNR rumors are true, it would be their first chance to really hit the mark. Toy Story is just another miss of a theme I fear.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dkjimbo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/toy-story-vs-guns-n-roses?tu=Dkjimbo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.