Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 203 posts
  • 91 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Inpw
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which would you prefer?”

• Guns N' Roses 233 votes
      38%
    • Toy Story 380 votes
      62%

(613 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    nathan-fillion.gif
    BOTH1 (resized).jpg
    There are 203 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
    #151 3 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

If Toy Story is JJP's next pin, put me down for my first JJP pin.
    CE. (Dream theme...well this and Grateful Dead which will never be made)

I’m in on a Grateful Dead. Still hopelessly hanging on to some hope...

#152 3 years ago
    Quoted from Krupps4:

I’m in on a Grateful Dead. Still hopelessly hanging on to some hope...

That would be the only band pin I *might* consider buying NIB. The art package could be second to none.

#153 3 years ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

Far and away the worst of the franchise. I am surprised people consider it in the top half of Pixar's films.

Really ? Stern just built Turtles....enough said

#154 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dkjimbo:

I said this before and I’ll say it again - toy story is a bad license.
    Bad Timing - Once again they are a day late and a dollar short (or years late). Missed the boat on the recent movie coming out and this is an ancient franchise in today’s market and by the time the pin is announced (much less released) the enthusiasm for anything Toy Story will have died down. Just like Hobbit.
    Your kids and grandkids have no attention span - Those looking to provide this game as a family bonding experience for their kids or grandkids are doomed. Kids have ZERO attention span and after 5 minutes would rather go back to the video game of the week than to repeatedly play the same pin. Your kids and grandkids will not care and not be thankful and not be impressed any more than if you bought them a $60 PS4 game.
    Toy Story hasn’t aged well - Toy Story movies, particularly the first and even the second have aged about as well as the “money for nothing” video by Dire Straits. Very poor video quality will not make for good background like Hobbit. It feels extremely dated. Using clips from all the movies will appear jarring and disjointed given the visual disparity over the years.
    There isn’t any nostalgia - yes it’s a great heartfelt series but it as zero nostalgia for any era or any particular product line or soundtrack or ANYTHING that drives the feeling of nostalgia the way franchises like TMNT, BTTF, Star Wars, etc do. It is generic in every sense which drives no nostalgic connection to anyone or anything.
    The sentiment is lost on the pinball audience - what is the theme or actual message of a Toy Story pin? A warm-hearted tear jerker / comedy cartoon does not provide any sort of narrative that remotely aligns with or easily translates to a pinball machine. Creating a pin around this license requires dumbing it down to non-story based charater / identity driven modes and themes. No one playing pinball is looking for that “awweee, so cute!!” Moment or that “wow this means so much I’m going to go home and reflect on my life and relationships” type moment...both are what the movies are about. Great for film, pointless for pinball.
    The demographic is all wrong - the audience that has any tie to this franchise is traditionally not in the age group for most pinball buyers unless you are one of the older crowd who wants to buy this for your kids or grandkids and we have already touched on that topic above. This theme has no place in a “barcade” The themes that resonate are obvious...familiar bands, comic franchises, 80s throwback themes, nostalgia driven themes, etc....of which Toy Story fits none.
    I only bring this up because I am concerned for JJP. I want them to succeed and pray to god the GNR rumors are true, it would be their first chance to really hit the mark. Toy Story is just another miss of a theme I fear.

I have nothing more to say to this other than that you are so incredibly wrong, it's not even funny.

30-40 somethings are now the ones buying pinball machines. The market is not driven by white dudes in their 60s anymore. Toy Story is the ultimate nostalgia of our youth, and is probably one of the greatest movie series' of all time. I'm a former pinball operator and arcade bar owner. I've owned 100s of machines. Toy Story is literally the only rumored game that I have money set aside to buy when and if it's finally announced.

#155 3 years ago

Both titles have the potential to be great games....its crazy to me how long it takes JJP to get games to market....

#156 3 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Both titles have the potential to be great games....its crazy to me how long it takes JJP to get games to market....

I agree it takes too long.I’m hoping with everything in one location we’ll see a faster smoother flow of JJP games

#157 3 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

its crazy to me how long it takes JJP to get games to market....

JJP is working hard to change that.

LTG : )

#158 3 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

I agree it takes too long.I’m hoping with everything in one location we’ll see a faster smoother flow of JJP games

One can only hope...hard to make a buck when u can't make games in a timely manner....

#159 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

JJP is working hard to change that.

Well they're doing a shit job.

#160 3 years ago

The poll should be changed.

Needs a third option.

"I would take both, or either one, or anything, just pick one and make it, prove that you can get more than five titles to market in seven years, do something other than crank out a ninth version of WOZ"

#161 3 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Its crazy to me that a company has been around this long, and still can't figure it out....

#162 3 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Really. They started the move from NJ to Chicago a few weeks before the COVID shut down. Nobody knew that would happen. And make it near impossible to do anything or get anything. Pinball parts, supplies, what all is needed to make an assembly line and outfit a factory and offices. Everything out there suffered delays and many things out there are still suffering making and shipping.

In that time, besides shipping logistics, getting a new factory set up. Outfitting the factory. Getting assembly line and parts in place. Hiring new people. Pulling it all together. They do have an assembly line up and are building Willy Wonkas.

Seems like a miracle to me that they have gotten this far in spite of everything. Not a shit job.

Lloyd

#163 3 years ago

Common sense goes a long way - just not on the Internet

#164 3 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Its crazy to me that a company has been around this long, and still can't figure it out....

They must be doing something right. Or they wouldn't be around.

Listen to Brett's last interview. Things have been good, are good, and looking up.

#165 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Really. They started the move from NJ to Chicago a few weeks before the COVID shut down. Nobody knew that would happen. And make it near impossible to do anything or get anything. Pinball parts, supplies, what all is needed to make an assembly line and outfit a factory and offices. Everything out there suffered delays and many things out there are still suffering making and shipping.
    In that time, besides shipping logistics, getting a new factory set up. Outfitting the factory. Getting assembly line and parts in place. Hiring new people. Pulling it all together. They do have an assembly line up and are building Willy Wonkas.
    Seems like a miracle to me that they have gotten this far in spite of everything. Not a shit job.
    Lloyd

I hear what your saying, but one can only use that excuse for so long....Stern doesn't seem to have a problem with parts, logistics, and manufacturing....its hard not to admit this has been their achilles heel. Lets hope the move helps solves this problem

#166 3 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

I hear what your saying, but one can only use that excuse for so long....Stern doesn't seem to have a problem with parts, logistics, and manufacturing....its hard not to admit this has been their achilles heel. Lets hope the move helps solves this problem

LTG and I will wait for you and the others to start your own pinball company and see how long it takes. You'll seem to be the only experts.

Manufacturing is a never ending learning experience.

#167 3 years ago

Mfg is a learning experience.

Maybe less so here, since flipper-games have only been on the line for about 70 years.

#168 3 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Stern doesn't seem to have a problem with parts, logistics, and manufacturing

Taking nothing away from Stern's accomplishments this year. We have no idea what they all had on hand for the future when the country and other countries shut down. And they had an existing factory. People forget the MMR delays when Stern started making them and then moved to the new building. And that wasn't compounded with everything being shut down.

Quoted from PtownPin:

but one can only use that excuse for so long.

I don't think it's an excuse, it's the reality of what happened. Big move coming up. Probably slowed on ordering parts for future games until the new factory would be ready to receive them. And parts department set up and people hired and trained to organize and run it.

And we've seen pictures of the assembly line full of Willy Wonkas. So JJP has accomplished a lot in about four months.

#169 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Taking nothing away from Stern's accomplishments this year. We have no idea what they all had on hand for the future when the country and other countries shut down. And they had an existing factory. People forget the MMR delays when Stern started making them and then moved to the new building. And that wasn't compounded with everything being shut down.

I don't think it's an excuse, it's the reality of what happened. Big move coming up. Probably slowed on ordering parts for future games until the new factory would be ready to receive them. And parts department set up and people hired and trained to organize and run it.
    And we've seen pictures of the assembly line full of Willy Wonkas. So JJP has accomplished a lot in about four months.

I love the optimism

#170 3 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

I love the optimism

Thank you.

Last year after Expo I was hoping for a new CGC or JJP game before the end of the year. And I thought for sure by TPF or shortly after.

Then the whole world went to heck.

Now both companies have accomplished a lot during these crazy days. Are rolling again. And I'm hoping for a new game or two by the end of this year.

And with what is coming after. Besides the optimism. I'm damned excited. These are great times for pinball !

#171 3 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

\Stern doesn't seem to have a problem with parts, logistics, and manufacturing....

They may not have problems in those particular areas, but they have a huge quality control problem. See all the dozens of threads about failed node boards and coil stops that need to be replaced after only a few plays. I won't even get into the disastrously bad playfields that they say are "in spec" with dimpling, pooled and cracked clearcoat, etc.

JJP had some issues with the light boards on early examples of WOZ, but I've not heard of many other quality control issues with JJP games.

I'd rather they take a little longer and build a product right the first time.

#172 3 years ago

Toy Story 3 was great when my kids were 2 & 5. But if "You've got a friend in me" over and over on pin? No thanks. And you know it's gonna happen.

#173 3 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

....but I've not heard of many other quality control issues with JJP games.

DI = poor trap door design, piss poor clear/or bad design that made clear crack instantly. They tried to fix that by making their own clunky knock off cliffys at first. Silly little things like lights not connected correctly from the factory.
    I'm sure owners of other games could chime in.
    But whatever...we can keep fucking picking sides in a little pissing contest instead of admitting all companies have had issues from time to time.

Quoted from Guinnesstime:

. And you know it's gonna happen.

They can;t afford Randy Newman's talent!

#174 3 years ago
    Quoted from Krupps4:

I don’t have anything against Toy Story. I’m just trying to figure out if anyone without kids would consider it an instant buy. It may be a generational thing as well. You are 35. I’m 46. I think you are probably a little too young to have been in the mix when GNR was in their prime, so I can understand why you may not be interested in a GNR pin. Anyway, I’m sure Toy Story would be a great pin. I guess I’d just like to see JJP try something different and I don’t see Toy Story as being all that much different than Wonka. GNR, whether you like them or not, is different and JJP has never done music pin.

I'm 52 and my wife is 56 and we both agree if a Toy Story pin comes out it would be an instant buy.

I have zero interest in a Guns n Roses pin.

Rooting for GNR so I can save that money for awhile longer.

#175 3 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

They may not have problems in those particular areas, but they have a huge quality control problem. See all the dozens of threads about failed node boards and coil stops that need to be replaced after only a few plays. I won't even get into the disastrously bad playfields that they say are "in spec" with dimpling, pooled and cracked clearcoat, etc.
    JJP had some issues with the light boards on early examples of WOZ, but I've not heard of many other quality control issues with JJP games.

I'm fully aware of Sterns quality control problems, but they are light years ahead of JJP on manufacturing games. JJP has had their share of issues, but not to the extent Stern has. JJP's biggest issue is getting games off the line and releasing new product.....I've owned all their games and for the most part they have been great. Im hoping that they get these issues worked out so they can be here for the long haul.

#176 3 years ago

jersey Jack is working hard, the change of venue with the covic should not have been easy and his dates should have been delayed, but what we are sure is that either toy story or guns ando roses will be a total success, because jjp games are pure pinball art! trust jjp, there will be news soon

#177 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Randy Newman's talent!

This is an Oxymoron

#178 3 years ago
    Quoted from Edster:

ditto, movie was pure garbage.

Quoted from NC_Pin:

Far and away the worst of the franchise. I am surprised people consider it in the top half of Pixar's films.

An absolutely unnecessary movie, except Disney now has two storylines they can milk, one with most of the toys and Bonnie, and one with Woody and Bo on their adventures without an owner.

Oops, spoiler alert!

#179 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hammerhead:

An absolutely unnecessary movie, except Disney now has two storylines they can milk, one with most of the toys and Bonnie, and one with Woody and Bo on their adventures without an owner.
    Oops, spoiler alert!

It was unnecessary, but it could have been done correctly. For us, the story was just a miss. I didn't like the ending.... it was all so melodramatic.

#180 3 years ago

Toy Story? Really?? How old are you guys???
    Yes I already have a GNR pin but will strongly consider having two of them in the line up and would never give TS the slightest glance.

John

#181 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

Toy Story? Really?? How old are you guys???

On average, much much younger than you.

#182 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

On average, much much younger than you.

Ouch!!

John

#183 3 years ago

Love both but Toy Story for me, great characters and mode possibilities.

#184 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Lloyd

Lloyd, you're biased. I love jjp, but they are slow as shit. Before covid was even a word anyone knew, they were slow. It has been 3 months since their teaser video. They are SLOW.

My response of them doing "a shit job" was in reply to you saying they're trying to change their slowness.... they haven't.

#185 3 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Lloyd, you're biased. I love jjp, but they are slow as shit. Before covid was even a word anyone knew, they were slow. It has been 3 months since their teaser video. They are SLOW.
    My response of them doing "a shit job" was in reply to you saying they're trying to change their slowness.... they haven't.

So your saying their slow,thanks so much for your opinion.

#186 3 years ago

I love JJP games. Such gems. IMO, they can take all the time they need because they're worth the wait!

Oh, I'm not a GNR fan... enjoyed the Toy Story movies... but I'd buy a GNR pin. Make sense? Probably not, but that's the reality.

#187 3 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

So your saying their slow,thanks so much for your opinion.

He's not wrong....

#188 3 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

I didn't say they were trying. I said they are working hard to change that.

It won't happen overnight. But look at all they've accomplished this year in spite of everything.

Yes I'm biased. JJP has great times for pinball ahead of them.

#189 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I didn't say they were trying. I said they are working hard to change that.
    It won't happen overnight. But look at all they've accomplished this year in spite of everything.
    Yes I'm biased. JJP has great times for pinball ahead of them.

I hope your right LTG....we all just want to see JJP succeed as many of us love their games....

#190 3 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

I hope your right LTG....we all just want to see JJP succeed as many of us love their games....

Me too.

Bias aside. I remember in the early 1990's when manufacturers were cutting back and then started closing. By 1995 pinball was on the roller coaster to hell. After Williams closed only Stern survived. And managed to keep pinball alive in the worst decade ever for coin op.

So right now with the virus, potentially coming into a slowing economy. I hate to lose any pinball manufacturer. I worry that could start a domino effect. And I'd hate to see that happen to pinball. We have it pretty good right now and I'd like to see it keep going.

#191 3 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

By now I'm sure many have seen Stern's latest release. JJP need to respond in kind very soon, Stern's new game looks like a great shooter with a lot of unique ideas. At almost $10K CAD for a Premium, I'm not a buyer. I need to carefully budget for any NIB purchase at these stratospheric prices, and the Marvel theme alone means I'm out.

Way, way out on JJPGNR as well, still patiently waiting for TS.

#192 3 years ago

Once again, Stern proves it can perform the only critical function for a pinball company. Make games.

#193 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hammerhead:

By now I'm sure many have seen Stern's latest release. JJP need to respond in kind very soon, Stern's new game looks like a great shooter with a lot of unique ideas.

I disagree. Those that moved funds they were saving for either GnR or TS to the new Stern LE have already done so by now. The new Avengers game looks like it has some great ramps and shots but we have no idea how well the actual game will play. I also think that the comic book theme won’t age well as either of the rumored JJP titles.

#194 3 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

The new Avengers game looks like it has some great ramps and shots but we have no idea how well the actual game will play.

That has never stopped a chunk of people from buying a game.

#195 3 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

I disagree. Those that moved funds they were saving for either GnR or TS to the new Stern LE have already done so by now. The new Avengers game looks like it has some great ramps and shots but we have no idea how well the actual game will play. I also think that the comic book theme won’t age well as either of the rumored JJP titles.

Marvel comics have been going strong and aging well since 1939. A Marvel themed pinball machine with many of the classic characters will age well imo. If it was the movies, you might have a point, but the comic version is timeless.

#196 3 years ago
    Quoted from Thunderbird:

Marvel comics have been going strong and aging well since 1939. A Marvel themed pinball machine with many of the classic characters will age well imo. If it was the movies, you might have a point, but the comic version is timeless.

The theme might age well... but Stern’s primo choice in electronics and materials?

#197 3 years ago

I’m waiting for TS. Bond and JAWS rumors are appealing too. Would love to see a JJP Back to The Future. I would probably buy a Modern cabinet WOZ from JJP too - as long as the monkey is back.

#198 3 years ago

I told my wife tonight there might be a toy story pin coming out and she said "You should buy it." This is unprecedented.

#199 3 years ago
    Quoted from Thunderbird:

I would agree if the Avengers were the primary focus of the art package rather than the villain. The theme is good enough and the ramps look terrific. I’d just like more Avengers.

#200 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

You left PTC off of the poll.
    LTG : (

I think we have both Toy Story and POTC - 2 Disney pins with the same release date. That way they address the licensing, updates, and part replacements/upgrades for existing machines.

There are 203 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/toy-story-vs-guns-n-roses/page/4?hl=play_pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.