20221112_154515 (resized).jpg
A998687C-C389-4532-9B8A-C1927F8FE722 (resized).jpeg
98FE8C16-B18B-4303-8F01-AEF9FBD292D9 (resized).jpeg
B2D1D22E-5D87-4040-8CB2-72C2104DD40E (resized).jpeg
E33CC087-4113-4171-960B-826AA3DDA785 (resized).jpeg
The King of Clunk.png
tenor.png
IMG_3968 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbeardsley.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#134 1 year ago

These playfield issues ARE the owner's fault...it's the owners fault he bought a JJP pin.

3 weeks later
#535 1 year ago

Still waiting for the sequel to Corvette Summer...the first one left so many unanswered questions.

#681 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

My theories:
-Pat or someone at JJP thought that “TS4” is contemporary & the others are old, so people would like that more.
-Pat saw the carnival & EM pinball machine in 4, and gravitated toward that.
-Pat or Joe said “I’m not stuffing 4 movies worth of modes and content into this thing, most people play for 5 minutes & drain”.
The only possible thing I can think of Pixar/Disney possibly caring about is mixing clips of all 4 on the LCD, as each one looked pretty different than the last as technology got better & better. Perhaps they wanted a cohesive aesthetic.

I really doubt it was JJP's idea to do TS4 only. Either Disney insisted on TS4 only, or the license fee for TS 1-3 was just too high for JJP to justify.

I am sure Disney said "Buzz and Woody cost $$$$$, but you can have BoPeep and Forky for $$".

#704 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

I’m curious about this, do you think JJP locked out the other movies or could Stern swoop in and do a TS2 pin?
I see Zerg raising out of the PF a la Iron Monger.

It would depend on what the exact terms are in the JJP / Disney agreement. It's possible that JJP got an exclusive on "Toy Story coin-operated pinball" even if they only got the rights to TS4 for use in their game. It's also possible that they only got exclusive on TS4. It's even theoretically possible that they only got non-exclusive rights to TS4 (though this would be unusual).

It all depends on what Disney was willing to sell, and what JJP was willing to pay. It's also very likely that JJP got the rights for only some fixed time period (like 3-5 years).

#707 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You’re comparing live action to animation. Different beasts, different contracts. Toy Story: The License is NOT charged per movie with different movies being different prices. Directors of animated movies aren’t DGA, and the characters on screen don’t have agents and likeness rights contracts.

Unless you have specific info on the JJP / Disney contract, you don't really know what it includes and what it doesn't. You don't just "get the license" (regardless if it is an animated property or not), the specifics can (and do) change on every deal.

Sure, sometimes the animated properties can be easier because there are less people involved, but not always. And Disney is usually one of the hardest licensors to deal with.

Been there, done that. The Disney license cost (and restrictions that went along with it) almost bankrupted the company I used to work for.

#716 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You’re not understanding my point.
Of course the contract has specifics and Disney made the rules of what can and can’t be used. All I’m saying is that the people who think Toy Story has different “per film” licenses and costs for consumer products is WRONG. It’s not TS4 because “that’s the cheap one”. Toy Story is an overall valuable IP. There aren’t tiers of licensing prices based on each movie.

And you're not understanding MY point...

Unless you have inside info into their deal, it is certainly possible that JJP bought only the rights to TS4 because it was cheaper than getting the rights to the whole franchise.

It is also possible that the rights to TS 1-3 were already sold to someone else (though this is probably not likely), or were just "not for sale".

My point is that you do NOT (usually) get "all or nothing". You get what they want to sell and what you can afford to buy.

#726 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Well, you can chose to not trust me. But trust me. “Toy Story” is the license. It’s not film by film…there’s no “cheaper”. You’re paying to be a Toy Story product, period. However, for an application like this that uses film assets, it’s likely Disney said “only use TS4” for aesthetic reasons…the films all look so different, it’s more cohesive as a product to just use 4.

Well, I have no reason to trust you. I've asked (more than once) if you have inside info on this deal, and since you never answer the question - I have to assume that you don't.

I've been involved with licensing with Disney, Paramount, and others - so I know a bit about what I am saying.

I do NOT have inside info on this deal, but it is completely possible (even likely) that Disney sold them the rights to TS4 only. Maybe because JJP didn't want to pay more, or maybe Disney wanted to hold on to those rights for some reason.

I find it highly unlikely that JJP had access/rights to all four films and then voluntarily chose to use only TS4.

#837 1 year ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

This reveal is crying out for a Hitler video.

I really hope someone is working on this. If I had the time (or the talent), I would.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

14,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
New Orleans, LA
$ 11,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 11,500.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 18.50
Playfield - Decals
Lermods

$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 299.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Eville Pinball

$ 649.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Kennebunkport, ME
10,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Old Saybrook, CT
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbeardsley.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/toy-story-pinball-you-in-or-out?tu=mbeardsley and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.