20221112_154515 (resized).jpg
A998687C-C389-4532-9B8A-C1927F8FE722 (resized).jpeg
98FE8C16-B18B-4303-8F01-AEF9FBD292D9 (resized).jpeg
B2D1D22E-5D87-4040-8CB2-72C2104DD40E (resized).jpeg
E33CC087-4113-4171-960B-826AA3DDA785 (resized).jpeg
The King of Clunk.png
tenor.png
IMG_3968 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jfh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#250 1 year ago

I am a very disappointed and reluctant NO - at least in 2022.

My family has been waiting for Toy Story for years (youngest is 31 for reference). The possibilities are endless and as a big Pat Lawlor fan I’m hoping he knocks it out if the park with great Pixar audio and video assets and an (what I hope is obvious) awesome claw machine toy. I (think) I’m on multiple CE lists but I’ll have to pass early/

It’s pretty much going to come down to playfield quality. Jack once said it was the most important part of a game. And then Mirco made him look foolish. When I asked Jack at TPF why he didn’t change suppliers he replied “What choice do I have?”. I dunno but I’m guessing JJP is locked into a long term with Mirco or they have burned the other bridges.

I’m just not willing to gamble on getting a crap playfield (or constantly wondering if I did) with no warranty or reasonable hope of help if I do. My days of being able to replace a playfield are long gone. I’ll wait until sometime in 2023 to see what the community experience is and take another look then. But, as much as I would like to have a reason to change my mind, I don’t expect it will happen. Jack said it’ll be fine but that’s no longer enough for me.

#253 1 year ago
Quoted from SDpinballer:

Sounds like you’re pretty enamored with the theme and designer. Why not pick one up early? Enjoy it for a while and sell it if its not your cup of tea. Doubt you’d lose that much $$. I agree that the playfield issues are terrible (speaking from experience on Wonka LE) but that wouldn’t stop me. If the reason to skip the purchase was financial, or worry for resale value, then I’d understand. Dream themes don’t come along all that often. (Note: TS is not a dream theme for me and I’ll need to check this one out thoroughly before considering it). Best of luck with your decision!

At this point with my collection if I bring in a new game I expect it to stay a long time. Cactus Canyon Remake will already be taking the spot originally held for Toy Story. I agree with you that if I were to buy/sell in a short time it would probably be close to a wash so that’s not an issue but, with a new game already coming, I do question whether spending $10k+ now is a good idea. I’ll have to wait and see what the CE looks like (and if I could actually get one), but an LE will probably be fine and they should be available for a couple years.

But it comes back to the risk of a poor playfield. No matter how much we like the game theme/designer, a poor playfield and questionable support are game changers.

#257 1 year ago
Quoted from romulusx:

All these people keep bringing up lack of support?I’ve always found Steve and crew very responsive to any issues that have come up over time.I’m not talking about any playfield pooling and I’m not minimizing that situation.But the JJP support team does a good job!

I’m sorry I wasn’t more clear. I’m reasonably comfortable with what I’ve heard about JJP support regarding anything other than playfield issues so general support is not a significant concern for me

2 weeks later
#610 1 year ago
Quoted from Nstone4425:

Okay I'll admit I'm excited for this pin but not for reasons one would think.
I'm not a massive JJP fan. However I slipped up about 4 weeks ago and told my wife JJPs next pin is definitely Toy Story. Couple weeks ago I told her it was based on 4. She lost her mind out of excitement. Never has she been excited about any pin I've brought home and there's been a lot. We also told my 9 year old daughter and then she was insanely excited. She will play pinball only to appease from time to time.
This morning they both watched the reveal and went back and forth between the LE & CE I told them they pick which one they want. They picked the CE they have been talking about it all day. I couldn't be happier for them.
No I'm not thrilled about the pricing, yes I'm a titch sad it's based on 4 (but I like 4 a lot too), yes I'm a little like where's more cool mechs. End of they day the women in my house are overjoyed about this pin so hell yeah I'm buying it!!!

Pinball is all about fun. Sounds like this is a great fit for your family. Congrats!

#776 1 year ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

I wonder how many Le's would sell at $9,999
It seems price is an issue here for what we get. I actually like the looks of it and want to play one. I could own one but, I have said that about every new game in the past 10 years hahahah

If it was a Toy Story pin and not TS4 and done even reasonably well I wouldn’t have blinked at $12k and almost certainly would have sprung for the CE.

Price matters but theme and game play are key.

As for TS4 an LE at $10k doesn’t do anything for me. I’m limited with space now; I’m not sure I’d keep TS4 if I got it for free - it’s that much of a miss.

#794 1 year ago
Quoted from Sunsfan23:

The CEs still sold out in 2 minutes.

No. 99 CEs sold (one was refunded). The other 900 CEs were allocated to distributors and there are distributors that still have them today.

#800 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

If it’s that much of a miss why do you care?

I don’t. I’m sure many will enjoy it for what it is. I just don’t want to see people being duped into thinking it is some massive hit (or the hit it should’ve been) because “the CEs already sold out”.

The good thing is now people will have plenty of time to play the game first before deciding (which is how it should be anyway). CEs will be available for months and LEs aren’t going to sell out. In my case it doesn’t matter because this game isn’t the Toy Story I wanted (or expected). Just because it’s a huge miss for me doesn’t mean it will be for others.

#842 1 year ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

Too bad it's been about 20 years since these locations had pins!

And in the case of Chuck E. Cheese, locations

#844 1 year ago
Quoted from Fizz:

Kids know Rocky and Bullwinkle?

Cartoons and colors.

#855 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Per Pinball News, they sold $30M of pins opening day. That was 1k CE’s + 1.25k LE’s = 2.25k orders in one day. This week through end of year they should easily sell another matching 1.25k LE’s and JJP couldbe looking at having sold and made 4k TS4’s. That would be more sales than Rush sales, right?

As the article states 100 CEs were sold direct. One customer got his transaction reversed so only 99 were sold. The rest were allocated to dealers. JJP considers them sold (to dealer inventory) but that doesn’t mean they’ve been sold to end users. Ditto the LEs.

#866 1 year ago
Quoted from konghusker:

This is the same way stern measures their “sold” LEs. Pretty typical
Guess you could measure it more accurately by calling around to see if you can still find a CE at msrp, and not marked way the hell up

I didn’t say it wasn’t. But it’s typical marketing fluff not evidence of actual demand.

CEs are still available. I’ve had multiple distributors call me asking if I wanted one. That almost certainly isn’t happening if the demand is what Jack implied.

#905 1 year ago
Quoted from blacklightprod:

Play the game and your opinion will change VERY QUICKLY!
Totally in because this game is a masterpiece.

A masterpiece? You came to this conclusion after a few games?

I agree that everyone should play the game - any game - before deciding whether or not purchasing makes sense. There are few games in pinball history that can be considered masterpieces. I’m pretty sure TS4 will never make that list.

#921 1 year ago

Just play the game and have some fun the game is really a lot of fun!

Playing the game and having fun is not the issue.
PAYING for the game is the issue.

I don’t have to own every game I enjoy. But I have to love every game I own.

#937 1 year ago

Toy Story has entire sections of Disney with lands, rides and merchandise.

And yet none of it was updated with components from TS4.

When all is said and done JJP licensed one of Disney's biggest licenses and their most beloved.

No. JJP either licensed just TS4 or managed to completely misunderstand that most beloved license.
What they did with the pinball game is like saying Snow White is about an apple tree.

Toy Story is a magical game for a certain kind of home!

Just not the homes of most Toy Story fans.

#939 1 year ago
Quoted from ClassicHornet:

if i must have a lawler, ill go buy Whirlwind. Shoots like butter, more innovation than TS4 and saves me 12k, no brainer !

You could probably get a Whirlwind and Gofers for <$12k. Then you could have two great shooting Lawlor games with a bash toy (and a spare), two spinning wheels and the jump ramp. I’ve got both so TS4 doesn’t really offer me anything I haven’t already got.

#976 1 year ago
Quoted from pinmister:

This game has classic simple elements with what looks to be great flow.

Great flow is easy to achieve if there is nothing on the playfield

#1002 1 year ago

You guys must’ve seen a different movie than I did.

#1021 1 year ago

So much to unpack it’s crazy let me try my best. This might be the dumbest statement on all 21 pages. JJP has already sold 30 million dollars worth of these games. So what exactly are you talking about here? The people buying this game are the Toy Story fans along with people who love an amazing pinball. The people who’ve actually played it fall in love with it. This game is going into Toy Story fans homes make no mistake.

Clearly you do not understand how licensing works with Disney. For those who don’t know Disney does more license deals than every other company on planet earth COMBINED! You don’t walk into their office and tell them what you want they tell you what you get. Does ANYONE and i mean ANYONE think Jack actually walked into Disney and said we want to license TOY STORY 4??? So on Pirates they had four movies in the game but for Toy Story no lets just use the last one? LOL. Just for the record the Toy Story movie that made the most money was Toy Story 4. With that being said I was NOT a fan of Toy Story 4 my favorite was Toy Story 3. Either way what does that have to do with anything this is a TOY STORY GAME with TIM FREAKING ALLEN doing most of the call outs. It’s Toy Story end of STORY.

Now you really lost me here…. So people on this very website have put Tron LE up for sale for 25k, Pirates CE for 40k, Godzilla LE 20k, Munsters a game everyone hated is now 18k. Stranger Things a game no one wanted and a year later you could still buy an LE for 10k for a distro well those are now 18k as well. Let’s go one further Jurassic Park a game with ZERO and I mean ZERO assets no art work from the movie, no clips instead you get this below average tonka truck looking CGI story and that game is wroth 20k. Don’t get me wrong I love Jurassic Park but the artwork is below average and it has ZERO assets but still now worth 20k.
We could go on and on… someone just put up a CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON for 12k what seriously? So this game has full assets, call outs from Tim Allen all kinds of magic under the glass, amazing artwork and its not worth 12k? OKay I seriously can’t take you serious.
Lastly, you talking about EARNINGS… one of the biggest earning pinball games of all time probably the #1 earning pinball from these modern day pins is GHOSTBUSTERS and family friendly comedy. I believe you put Toy Story on location kids who’ve NEVER played a pinball in their life will put money into this machine because it’s TOY STORY! Time will tell if I’m wrong but I think if people just play the game they will feel a lot different.

Methinks you doest protest too much.

You really seem to have a vested interest in shilling this game. (And you made my point on the licensing. No one by your take, including Jack, wanted TS4. If that’s all that Disney was going to give them they should have walked away).

There’s so much else wrong I’m not going to take the time to respond to it all but here’s a quick one. Your comparison to JP doesn’t hold up. JP works fine as a generic dinosaur theme. The movie IP isn’t critical to its success.

#1083 1 year ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

Having a daughter that grew up with a pinball obsessed father Is pretty cool.

Sounds like she’s pretty smart too!

#1148 1 year ago

*** It’s Been Decided - TS4 is Fun and it’s Worth the Price. ***
The market has spoken, and most people report enjoying playing the game.

Lol. Those are two completely different things. Until “people report[ing] playing the game” turn into confirmed game sales, the market has not spoken.

The “sales” you cite are not end user transactions, but distributor allocations. That JJP counts them as sales is irrelevant. What counts is whether collectors and operators buy them.

Way way too early to consider this game a sales success.

#1161 1 year ago
Quoted from galore2112:

The CE should be called IE. Investor Edition.

Investor Edition? Good god no.
The last thing this hobby needs is anything to further perpetuate the absurd idea that pinball machines are investments.

#1171 1 year ago

But the sales part of the equation, after 1 week, would have to be interpreted as successful. Right?

No. And, no matter how many times you try to spin it that way, the answer is still “No”.

A deposit is not a sale. If that were true then Stern is significantly undercounting their “sales”.

#1288 1 year ago
Quoted from guitarded:

I see about 8-10 people on this site repeating this relentlessly but I have yet to meet a pinhead who has once mentioned BTTF as a Theme they want to see. Not one.

You need to get out more.

1 week later
#1527 1 year ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Would you rather get a Toy Story LE or a Cactus Canyon LE?

I’m a huge TS fan, but TS4 was a hard pass. It’s eye candy with not much to shoot which will get old (and dated) quickly. And NGG did the signature shot much better anyway.

From a strictly value perspective CCrLE wins hands down (almost on the topper and future Lyman code package alone). It’s a timeless theme, funny, nice variety of shots and has that “just one more game” appeal. And it’s $3k less, $4k if the topper isn’t a big deal for you.

CCrLE is going in my game room in the spot previously reserved for Toy Story.

#1531 1 year ago
Quoted from pinmister:

When I was posting this question I thought-am I going to bait Jim?
For me Cactus Canyon is been there done that

Lol. If you’ve already decided CCr isn’t for you, why ask?

#1533 1 year ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Not that it is not for me, but which one would I really want to spend 12k on? If I really had to choose it would be TS4. Cactus Canyon blows TS4 out of the water in terms of mechs-but how about the fun factor? Just making a comparison because they are priced the same and new releases.

CCr is $8k, the SE+/LE with interactive topper is $9250.
TS4 is $12k or $15k with non-interactive topper.

Certainly not priced the same

TS4 was fun to play for an hour and I’ll play it again but I wouldn’t buy it.

CCr will be a sleeper hit. It may not have the sizzle of TS4 but it’s quite fun. Neither game is terribly deep though I expect CCr will change that with the upgrade code.

#1596 1 year ago

It will be interesting in a year to see operator’s experiences with TS4. The purchase price is probably not as much of an inhibitor as we might think because what matters most is total return, though that may take a hit if resale values hold up.

I don’t like the trend but I also don’t see JJP being relevant in the operator space; they really don’t seem to want to be there. Practically every JJP game I play on location has wet noodle flippers. I like to support location pinball but I’m now hesitant with JJP games. Stern seems to have figured out multiple target audiences; JJP seems directionless and may need to just pick a lane. I hope one day we learn more about the decision making that went into TS4.

#1624 1 year ago
Quoted from stubborngamer:

Still waiting on my kid's dream theme, a Disney Princesses Pin.

Get a TS4. Swap out the cake toppers with Snow White, Ariel, Cinderella and others. Done. $12k + $2.99.

#1639 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballGalore:

It’s a little ironic that the one game most here won’t mind playing on location but won’t necessarily add to their collection , is the game most operators won’t add to their locations due to a low ROI

Not at all. It just shows that many think the price is out of line with the perceived value of ownership.

#1718 1 year ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I remember Jack saying "this will be our worse machine (WOZ). Every thing from here on out will be better & better". What happened w/ that?

Yeah. Sigh.

2 weeks later
#1927 1 year ago
Quoted from yancy:

I didn't say WHY people weren't buying. You're exactly right; it's because JJP pulled two major mechs that everyone already had their heart set on. My operator friend cancelled his order for that exact reason. So I guess we agree, is that possible here?

If you pull two mechs from TS4 there won’t be any left …

#2121 1 year ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:

Also... when do the CE's begin to ship?

Not soon enough for the few that actually want them.

Way too soon for everyone else trying to sell their spots.

#2251 1 year ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

I really like the jump ramp. I’m not aware of many games if any with that mech. And mechs are great and all, but this is a mech that feels great. It doesn’t get old for me.

Get a No Good Gophers. Same idea, executed better and a far more satisfying shot when made. And it fits the theme better than Caboom.

The jump ramp is the best shot in TS4. Yes, the art is nice. Yes, the light show is nice. But when those are the main selling points on a $12k game, the overall rating has to be lower.

#2274 1 year ago
Quoted from jdlang11:

Thanks right. That is your review on the game. Either we agree or not. I enjoyed the hour long review and the work that went into it. I just got my Godzilla from you and I chose that over Toy Story. It could have been the other way around.
But anyone can go on YouTube create an account and make a review. Then link your review to a new forum topic. If not then move on and quit complaining about SDTM.
Zach and Greg please keep the reviews coming.

I agree with your first point. But not on the implication that if we disagree with part of the review that we somehow are complaining about SDTM.

They are high quality productions and Greg and Zach work well together. I think many categories are inflated but attribute that to the fact that Zach is a distributor who can’t afford to discourage potential customers and most games are reviewed in a vacuum (but I think that’s more of a generational thing).

My joking rule of thumb? If it’s less than a B+ they don’t like it

#2332 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Demonstrate it. I know many find your content entertaining, but frankly I've never been swooned by any of the commentary or perspectives shared in the stuff I've seen -- in fact I've found most to be a detriment. You guys found an audience and with your production and on-camera skills... working that into something much larger, including gigs with manufacturers. Kudos - you guys are the premier pinball youtube content generators. But frankly none of that brings credibility in actual game topics for me - that just means you are respected talent when it comes to video content. I love Jeremy Clarkson... but I would never turn to him for ownership insights. He's not there for knowledge or true perspective - he's there for entertainment. He was a journalist before - not a mechanic.
Your following didn't come from your pinball savviness - it came from being a polished form of media and entertainment that evolved into being a source of news and professional content. So you're a great conduit of information for people and you created a platform to curate other new creators. I applaud you for that success. It doesn't mean I hang on any of your commentary -- the shows I've listened to or watched mainly came from what else was brought to the show (a person, a product, etc).

I have to agree. This analysis is dead on. Entertainment and information is not the same as knowledge and insight. Too often it’s flash (nice presentation and production) with little substance with both of you falling into the trap that so many do limiting pinball to “anything that’s happened in the last few years”. This was painfully obvious during the broadcast on Wayne Neyens where every comment was essentially a nod or an “un huh”.

That doesn’t necessarily make the broadcasts bad but these are for the most part thinly disguised sales videos that showcase very little of your actual knowledge of the history of the industry and hobby, the designers and innovations that made pinball what it is today and/or how the current generation is pushing the envelope.

This isn’t unique to SDTM either so this shouldn’t be read as Greg and Zach bashing - just a commentary on the podcast generation where filling air time seems more important than insightful and factual reporting.

#2359 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Wasn’t this debunked later?

Yes

#2377 1 year ago
Quoted from 80sMan:

I almost started a thread called ‘What games have your purchased instead since the release of TS4”?

Well, I bought CCrLE that took the slot that was earmarked for TS. I would have made room for both if not for TS4. Then after the TS4 reveal I bought an AFMr (my first non-NIB game in 7 years) to make sure I’d never have room for TS4

#2383 1 year ago
Quoted from explosiveegg:

I'll probably get down voted to hell for saying this, but I'm personally more excited about my TS4 than CCr.
That is not to say that I think TS4 is a better game, I just find it hard to stay excited for my CCr when I honestly question whether I'll even get mine in 2023. It is also the Lyman code I'm most excited for. Knowing he was doing code on it was one of the main reasons I put in an order, but who knows when that will come into existence too.
I'm pretty sure JJP is getting close to doubling the number of TS4s when compared to CCrs in about half the time. At that rate, and with the low demand, I expect I'll have my TS4 in 3 to 6 months.

Why would you get downvotes for this? I think this is just human nature. People generally don’t want to wait.

And the growth of the hobby coupled with production challenges just makes it worse. JJP certainly isn’t producing games 4x faster than CGC if it would take 3-6 months to fulfill “low demand” but today’s low demand is still higher than what it was even a few years ago.

Manufacturers can only produce so many so fast - expanding capacity is not a trivial undertaking and I expect that when supply constraints ease in a few years (yes, it will take that long) that still won’t close the demand gap so waiting for games isn’t going away any time soon.

#2395 1 year ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Whats the dealer cost on these games? My guess is many will sell at their cost just to get it off their books. Would the distributors know the MSRP before committing to buying CE's and LE's ? If not they got screwed

Dealer margin should be at least $1k and I think more on TS4.

When I saw this ad the first thing I thought of is the dealer just wanted to get out.

3 weeks later
#2570 1 year ago
Quoted from sepins:

Could some crazy good code update help save this game???

No. My wife played it today with some friends.

First words when she got home: “Thank God you didn’t buy that game!”’. I didn’t even have to ask which game she was talking about.

Some of her favorites are Lawlor games, especially Whirlwind, NGG and Safe Cracker. We have been waiting for TS for seven years. She doesn’t like DI and doesn’t like Wonka enough so unlikely we’ll own a JJP game in the future. Got some brownie points when I reminded her CCr LE was $9250 and TS was $15k.

I haven’t played TS4 much but code isn’t going to fix the incredibly stupid move to make a dated TS4 game instead of an evergreen classic like Toy Story.

#2576 1 year ago
Quoted from explosiveegg:

Dialed In and Wonka are likely JJPs two best games.

I like both and would probably would have had DI a while ago if not for space. To bring in a new game a family favorite has to leave. If my wife isn’t on board we don’t bother with that discussion because I don’t want to piss her off which will happen if I sell a game see likes for one she doesn’t.

BTTF is a wild card. I have pseudo permission to buy it even if I don’t have a spot for it.

#2588 1 year ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

We are excited to announce a new Limited Edition pinball mod for Toy Story pinball! …
Only 100 units being manufactured so get yours now.

Just enough for every TS4 owner to get one.

1 month later
#2867 1 year ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Is TS4 a Porsche to the Godzilla Camry just because its newer?

Nah. TS4 is a Ford Pinto that thinks it’s a Porsche.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - Pre-order Spot
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 299.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Eville Pinball

$ 16.95
$ 11,500.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 11,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.50
Playfield - Decals
Lermods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Little Egg Harbor, NJ
$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Wanted
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Royersford, PA
$ 35.00
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jfh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/toy-story-pinball-you-in-or-out?tu=jfh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.