20221112_154515 (resized).jpg
A998687C-C389-4532-9B8A-C1927F8FE722 (resized).jpeg
98FE8C16-B18B-4303-8F01-AEF9FBD292D9 (resized).jpeg
B2D1D22E-5D87-4040-8CB2-72C2104DD40E (resized).jpeg
E33CC087-4113-4171-960B-826AA3DDA785 (resized).jpeg
The King of Clunk.png
tenor.png
IMG_3968 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Haymaker.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#364 1 year ago

I'm out. Toy Story FOUR? Why???? Nothing in the game looks particularly exciting either. Wow a giant LCD screen under a giant LCD screen that I get to play virtual pinball on.

I was very hyped about Toy Story the pin, but the reveal has really knocked the wind out of my sails

#411 1 year ago
fpp,small,lustre,wall_texture,product,750x1000.u1 (resized).jpgfpp,small,lustre,wall_texture,product,750x1000.u1 (resized).jpg
#486 1 year ago
Quoted from Dwboca:

Also where the flip is forky

forky is the standup targets on the right side

#656 1 year ago

I feel really bad for all the rich guys that are buying this thinking their kids/grandkids will love it and get into pinball too. Maybe they play it 3-4 times then go back to fortnite or tiktok or whatever the youngins are into these days

#851 1 year ago
Quoted from Boxedbeef:

I think we are all missing the marketing direction here . It appears JJP is building a game for younger players , next generation players . With its simplified code and most importantly its Pindemption ability to kick out tickets, it is perfect for routing at Chucky Cheese , Dave and
Busters and the 1000’s of family pizza type stores and movie theaters ... Rocky and Bullwinkle is a weak game for me, silly title , yet my at my friends arcade in Miami it is one of the best earners ,, all kids drawn to what they know .. The game after all is called “ Toy Story 4 “ not Playboy . It’s a kids game , not necessarily my game , but JJP hit the mark perfectly , with no competition in this Genre .....

Its actually been mentioned dozens of times or more already. In the right location this game could maybe earn. Theres probably also a handful of rich guys with kids/grandkids who might like it. The sad truth is though, that most of these games aren't going on location and if they do it better be a good location because often kids pass over pinball machines or don't care enough to keep playing. Its also a lot harder to make back your 12k investment then whatever it is that you spent on a rocky and bullwinkle. 12-15k is a lot to spend for hoping your kids will like it, be it at home or on location, especially for a toy when that money could be better spent on kids elsewhere perhaps.

#971 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That’s the Boomeriest of Boomer takes. If kids wanna look at a screen, they all have screens. It’s a normal part of life, not something that’s going to impress them in a pinball machine. They’ll either like pinball or they won’t. On top of that, this game is too expensive for operators. You won’t see them in kiddie locations.

Exactly. In the other thread somebody asked why Pat thought that was a good idea and I said something to the effect of because Pat is a boomer who thinks since kids love cell phones and tablets (just like when he thought dialed in was a great idea for a theme) they'll be lining up at the arcade to play this game because theres a tablet right in it! No, Pat is just out of touch.

Quoted from Deez:

Let's say you charge $1.00 a play. Of that dollar you have to give .25 to .50 back to the location. So liberally you're taking in .75 cents per game played. The moment a quarter is dropped thru the coin slot the game depreciates by %20 in the eyes of the collector community regardless of how well it is cared for and maintained.
So I need the machine to reach 3200 plays to reach an even point on the purchase. It would take my machines like a year and a half to get that many plays if it remains popular.
In the past this wasn't as big of a deal because the price of the machine raised faster than that depreciation hit on it not being HUO. I have a hard time seeing this title get more expensive over time at this price point. Dealers having them in stock after release day is a pretty good indicator.
I can buy a Godzilla pro for 6800 that has the exact same math but the starting purchase price is so much lower. I don't even typically purchase premium titles because the price vs earnings gap has never made sense as they all earn around the same. I will buy every single CGC game because they are rock solid quality and play amazing and at a lower price point.
The other piece is how awful JJP customer service is. I had the driver board on my GNR go back and JJP straight up accused me of frying it and wanted to charge me $400 for a new one. Eventually after berating them on pinside they sent me a new one but you imagine that a $400 hit with such thin margins isn't a small deal. The playfield just chip away as well when I've never removed a post or done any modifications but JJP blames the customer.
The next logical step is that I need to charge 1.50 or $2.00 a game. I'm just not a believer people will pay it at this point. Maybe I'm wrong. I'd love to hear ideas on how to make it work.

Yep, 50/50 location split is very common. So thats 24,000 plays to break even at a buck a game, and thats not taking into account maintenance (which there will be plenty) and time/gas/ect collecting and all the other things that go into running a route. The location I play at now is charging $1.50 a game on stern premiums because the price is so high. I can't imagine trying to operate a 12k game. I'm sure there are locations out there that could turn a profit, but they are not common by any stretch of the imagination.

#982 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

They can’t turn a profit using 1990s logic in 2020
Unless a spot is gods gift to the earth in coin drop… no way should you be splitting 50/50 anymore. It’s not uncommon to have operator slanted deals if bringing in halo pieces.
The 80/90s logic no longer applies.

I don't know what the split is, just seems common around these parts. I know my dad still does 50/50 on his small route but all his stuff is garbo anyway

#986 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Let's just say.. if someone is splitting 50/50 with pins and complaining about profitability, ESPECIALLY with new equipment... self inflicted wounds.
Classic Vids are similar... you can't make any money with the old arcade mindset. The good news is for pins and vids recently is the appreciation of residual values.. so you can retire a piece with very high resale these days. But in turn, it makes it expensive to expand.. so you can't just go and invest for a location with just simple hopes of 60/40 or 50/50 splits. Minimums, etc are all in play now.

Makes sense

#1103 1 year ago
Quoted from blacklightprod:

2). Secondly why doesn’t stern get WORSE for making Deadpool and Avengers based on the popularity of the movies only to cheapen out and do comic versions. How many games from Stern can we count which has zero assets… Jurassic Park has no assets either yet Toy Story has a ton and we’re blasting it.

Thank god they are based on Comic versions and not the movies. Deadpool would be a little better if they followed the raunchiness of the movies but otherwise the comic is such a better choice and the art is way better because of it too. Same with Avengers IQ. Theres a movie Avengers Stern pin if you really want that. Look how crappy and dumb it is compared to the comic Infinity quest. Also look at Spidey vault and star wars comic, they are so much better looking not having that garbo movie art. Genius move by Stern IMO.

#1144 1 year ago
Quoted from Firechief:

What car would you buy with 15k? I’m thinking your right but I’m not sure what to get. I think 90s cars could be good value for future growth.

Plenty of mustangs, corvettes, and other cars you can have a ball with in that price range. Jeeps and trucks too.

I don't think ZX's have been that cheap in a while, at least the good ones. Could be wrong though.

You could also get like a sweet ass side x side, snowmobile, jetski, ect for that kind of money and I promise you'll have the time of your life on any of those. Hell, I took a portion of my pin fund and bought a onewheel and have been enjoying that quite a bit

#1273 1 year ago
Quoted from guitarded:

I think they should stop chasing high dollar licenses and start picking up licenses that would allow more money to go into the pin itself.
There's an almost completely unmined market in Sci Fi Fantasy. Warhammer 40k would sell itself and that is one example of dozens.
Pick a Game company and team up on a release. Imagine a Pin released concurrent with something like Elden Ring...would be huge and bring in a lot of interest from people outside the pin market.
These are obvious and easy examples of Themes where an entire world is pre-created and its adaptation to pinball would be simple and maybe even boost exposure for the Licensee.
Something like Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn or Brian Mclellan's Powder Mage Trilogy are tailor made for the physics of pinball. And Licenses wouldn't kill your BOM.

LMFAO you think warhammer 40k would be a better seller than BTTF? BTTF would be the best selling machine in decades if its even halfway decent. Theres not a theme that is more wanted in the community than back to the future. "saving money" on the theme isn't going to put more in the machine either, it'll just put more money in sterns pockets (look at black knight for a recent example). Maybe YOU don't care for BTTF as a theme, and thats fine, but everything you've said is laughably wrong. You have to realize your tastes are quite outside what is mainstream popular (and thats OK). These theme ideas you've thrown out would be a joke, maybe you can convince AP to make them.

#1281 1 year ago
Quoted from guitarded:

I see about 8-10 people on this site repeating this relentlessly but I have yet to meet a pinhead who has once mentioned BTTF as a Theme they want to see. Not one.

Bro I don't know where you're hanging out but its not reality.

2 weeks later
#1735 1 year ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I would take Toy Story 4 over Avengers-so there is that
Different strokes for different folks

2 weeks later
#1818 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I’m not sure I understand having a topper that repeats the game’s title with the wrong logo/font. Aesthetically unpleasant.

Lol yeah that looks like it came off some chinese bootleg box of toys

#2002 1 year ago

Randy Newman on Family Guy is still one of my favorite bits they ever did

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Murrysville, PA
$ 11,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 16.95
$ 299.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Eville Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

14,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 11,500.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
New Orleans, LA
$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

9,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 18.50
Playfield - Decals
Lermods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Haymaker.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/toy-story-pinball-you-in-or-out?tu=Haymaker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.