20221112_154515 (resized).jpg
A998687C-C389-4532-9B8A-C1927F8FE722 (resized).jpeg
98FE8C16-B18B-4303-8F01-AEF9FBD292D9 (resized).jpeg
B2D1D22E-5D87-4040-8CB2-72C2104DD40E (resized).jpeg
E33CC087-4113-4171-960B-826AA3DDA785 (resized).jpeg
The King of Clunk.png
tenor.png
IMG_3968 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Betelgeuse.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#145 1 year ago

I am out. I hope JJP has another hit on their hands, but with today's pricing a pin would need to check every box for me to consider it.

Toy Story does nothing for me, nor any other Pixar/Dreamworks type theme. Maybe I was too old for those movies.

The playfield issues suck and I do not have any confidence that they are resolved.

With GNR being a sales success for them, JJP needs to put some resources back into the company and support teams. They are stretched too thin.

I already have a POTC, which I think represents the best of what JJP was the best at; making mechanically complex games with immersive atmosphere. I find Pirates and Dialed In to be the most fun. The games since haven't really had much in the way of toys/mechs. Who knows if this will be any different.

#149 1 year ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:

Has there ever been a good #4 in franchise history that wasn't based off a series of books (so we can exclude Hobbit/Harry Potter)?

Part 4's are usually a cheap cash in, but... Rocky IV, Friday the 13th - The Final Chapter, and Police Academy 4 were good additions.

#194 1 year ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Their market is the "wow look at all that shit on the playfield and lights" here is my deposit guy.

Looking forward to the people who buy without playing a single ball and then panic sell with 25 plays on it months later.

Oh yes, so different from the market of "wow a fan layout with 2 ramps, an orbit, a center bash target and the ball moves so fast through all that air and it's my #6 favorite super hero/band theme" here is my deposit guys. Clearly, those are the *real* pinball players.

#198 1 year ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

I'll take a stripped down game that plays great like AFM over any JJP.

I get that. AFM is one of my favorite games. I have had mine for 14 years and will probably never part with it. That's why I own multiple pinball machines, so I can also have some that play completely different. I wouldn't want 20 games that have gameplay similar to AFM.

3 weeks later
#329 1 year ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I'm looking forward to the reveal but I'm priced out if the rumors are true. $2500 ($9500 to $12k] for the LE has to be the largest price increase between game releases in history.

Same. I'm still following because I want to see where JJP is headed and what Lawler has come up with, but I'm not even considering taking another leap of faith. Admittedly, the TS theme is also not my cup of tea, which makes it easier. It would have to be a game I've got some time on and decided it's completely worth getting rid of two other great games to acquire. I'll watch the high rollers duke it out for CE spots while I sit in the stands and drink.

#845 1 year ago
Quoted from Pickle:

JJP kind of killed it….at that time the price was crazy…and there was also the botched 3 spinner mech that was hyped at the launch but they never got the bugs figured out and changed it to a single spinning mech I believe. Pretty sure it came down to time/budget and they needed to start getting games built and out the door. I am sure if they had time/budget they could have gotten the bugs fixed but they didn’t. Price backed off a lot of buyers so fewer POTC exist and now it’s gained some popularity so it has increased in value with pinflation. Pinside did not kill POTC in the least.

Quoted from KozMckPinball:

POTC had a long wait on delivery after reveal. So much so that JJP said they'd do things differently, like they are doing now, wait time between a delayed reveal and delivery is much less probably. If I remember correctly on POTC there were even design changes like on the spinning awards disc that increased the time between initial reveal and delivery at that time.

Yup, this is what 'killed' POTC. People had pre-ordered the version with the triple spinning discs and had already been waiting many months for production to start, while things kind of went quiet from JJP. Then Eric announced that the triple spinning disc and the trunk were being removed from the game out of reliability concerns (this video is still on yt). People were understandably upset that the game was no longer quite what they had bought into and many cancelled their orders. I suppose you could argue that Pinside is where buyers expressed their frustrations about this, but Pinside had mostly been saying very good things about POTC up until this point.

#861 1 year ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Guess you could measure it more accurately by calling around to see if you can still find a CE at msrp, and not marked way the hell up

Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Ok so some number of CE’s sold through distribution channels and we’ll see if any dealer has them listed at msrp at the end of the week.

No need to wait:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/137382

1 month later
#1925 1 year ago
Quoted from yancy:

But it was a sales dud until everyone thought they could no longer get one. FOMO!

I see this repeated often, but the reason Pirates sold poorly at first was because pre-orders had the rug pulled out from under them with the triple spinning disc and moving chest being removed. The game was also delayed significantly and a lot of people felt burned and cancelled their orders because that was their only recourse. Many took a wait and see approach and that did not pay off. Almost the entire pinball community was singing the games praises before that mess. It's not like people weren't buying just because the game sucked or something.

#1928 1 year ago
Quoted from yancy:

I didn't say WHY people weren't buying. You're exactly right; it's because JJP pulled two major mechs that everyone already had their heart set on. My operator friend cancelled his order for that exact reason. So I guess we agree, is that possible here?

Ha! I suppose we do agree then. It's just that without context and when compairing POTC to TS4, it sounds like you're saying sales were poor for the same reasons. Though you are right that if JJP cut production of TS4 short, FOMO would no doubt drive up values.

#2013 1 year ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Really appreciate honesty from an owner. So many owners put their head in the sand and make excuses for a game. Sure, it's great to have an "approachable" game for novices (like some of said), however there are many good/solid games that both novices and pinheads enjoy (and this ain't it).

Sometimes I get a good laugh from looking at the excuses in the classified listings for new release games. So many people suddenly need to make room for some other game or have an unexpected financial crisis. Of course, selling any of the 10+ other games that they own is out of the question. It's the new game they just got a few weeks ago (or pre-ordered) that's gotta go, even if it means a big $$$ loss and they really love the game!

#2092 1 year ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

For 2 different houses is the reason why. Here’s a pick of one of my JJP sitting right next to it just for you Dougy…

Wait a minute... When you first posted this pic, these games had unusual coin doors with single coin slots. They didn't look like U.S. coin doors. Now you edited the picture to intentionally crop those out? What gives?

#2097 1 year ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

You must have been hallucinating?

Like hell I was. I just thought it was odd at first, but figured you'd end up getting called out on it pretty quickly. But no, picture is now cropped to hide the slip up.

#2104 1 year ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

See, already said that you guys would give it to me for some reason and sure enough you are…

And now the picture is completely gone? You are BUSTED. Even if anyone else has doubts, I saw that bs right there. You would have been better off with trying to explain it away like you put games in a location that uses Swiss Francs for a children's charity or something, but it's too late now. I doubt the Batman 66's were even the same machine.

#2111 1 year ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Doubt all you want, no slip up, just shouldn’t have posted anything to begin with. I took the dare and knew better. Now will be relentlessly attacked just like I said, but that’s part of the fun with the Pinside gang. No need to explain anything, as I owe no explanation to anyone.

I wasn't even part of the debate, but sorry, I just couldn't let that go.

#2117 1 year ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Good party and feel free to join in the debate, makes it even more Pinside fun!

I will admit I was curious to see what games you owned.

#2142 1 year ago
Quoted from Bmanpin:

Some folks like to hear themselves type/talk. Especially Ice. I've been around here long enough to know fraud when i see it.
Same drum different day.

I hope you don't think that I made this up just to make Iceman look good, as I assure you nothing could be further from the truth. Reading back now, it may be a little confusing because some posts were edited.

jimwe5t posted alleged pictures of his collection, boasting about his lineup and accepting praise for the quality of his machines... but he slipped up. He was using pictures from someone elses collection and taking credit. The giveaway was that the games had foreign coin doors with an oddly placed single coin slot. He quickly realized his mistake and deliberately tried to cover it up by cropping out the coin doors from the photo. I saw the original photo that showed the coin doors in that brief window of time, though.

#2161 1 year ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Think you had too much to drink last night buddy and making this stuff up to sensationalize our party. Maybe you got kind of confused, as the photo is kind of dark, so giving you a little benefit of the doubt in this instance. Here is the photo posted again you are referring to. I only see double or triple coin slots….whose really been busted with reposting of the photo you keep touting? Now you prove otherwise…

Yup, you took down the photographic evidence from last night and are now posting an entirely different photo. I guess I'm outwitted on this one.

People can choose whether to believe me or believe you. It doesn't really make a difference to me. I know the truth. It's not cool to take credit for someone else's collection.

1 week later
#2390 1 year ago

Retailers are now selling TS4 for a $1k discount? Is this the first time a NIB JJP has been advertised for significantly below retail?

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1299-maine-home-recreation/07035-toy-story-4-le-nib

1 month later
#2824 1 year ago
Quoted from m00nmuppet:

Whoa, nice to know that GZ deserves to be even higher, with these nonsense scores factored out.

Thankfully we have thoughtful and unbiased raters like m00nmuppet, who have played every edition of every new title, to help offset all of those bogus scores.

123 (resized).JPG123 (resized).JPG124 (resized).JPG124 (resized).JPG

1 month later
#2940 1 year ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Proof that this rating system means nothing.

Do we really believe it is better than TWD, BM66, BSD, Star Trek, or Spider Man?

And Alien being currently number 1: Chef's kiss.

I don't think this invalidates the entire rating system. New games have always been a wild card. How many times did we see the latest Stern release debut in the #1 spot over the last decade? It used to be as predictable as the sunset. Cactus Canyon had it's moment recently too. It doesn't take long for them to settle into a more realistic spot as more people enter their ratings and it's easy enough to just ignore them until then.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
$ 11,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 16.95
$ 299.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Eville Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Bensenville, IL
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 11,500.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
New Orleans, LA
$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 18.50
Playfield - Decals
Lermods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Betelgeuse.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/toy-story-pinball-you-in-or-out?tu=Betelgeuse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.