20221112_154515 (resized).jpg
A998687C-C389-4532-9B8A-C1927F8FE722 (resized).jpeg
98FE8C16-B18B-4303-8F01-AEF9FBD292D9 (resized).jpeg
B2D1D22E-5D87-4040-8CB2-72C2104DD40E (resized).jpeg
E33CC087-4113-4171-960B-826AA3DDA785 (resized).jpeg
The King of Clunk.png
tenor.png
IMG_3968 (resized).jpeg
There are 3,033 posts in this topic. You are on page 46 of 61.
#2251 1 year ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

I really like the jump ramp. I’m not aware of many games if any with that mech. And mechs are great and all, but this is a mech that feels great. It doesn’t get old for me.

Get a No Good Gophers. Same idea, executed better and a far more satisfying shot when made. And it fits the theme better than Caboom.

The jump ramp is the best shot in TS4. Yes, the art is nice. Yes, the light show is nice. But when those are the main selling points on a $12k game, the overall rating has to be lower.

#2252 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

But when those are the main selling points on a $12k game, the overall rating has to be lower.

Well that's a whole 'nother question; Does the price have any affect on a mechs rating?
I wouldn't say it does but I'm sure others would.

#2253 1 year ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Completely false and misguided. Rich, successful people are often tough critics. This idea that rich folk think everything is great is silly...really.

Actually most of the super rich (9-figure plus net worths) who I know don’t really care about the price if it “looks good” and JJP’s games definitely look good…

#2254 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

No need to adjust it Zach.
Don’t let the dummies wear you down

All is good buddy, just clarification for someone interested in my work.

#2255 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

Toys and features should be a C
Theme C+ for me, because it’s the worst TS movie, do you like Forkey more than Zurg?
How cool would it have been to have Zurg rise up from the PF like the Iron Monger bash toy?
They could have done some cool code like pick a character T-Rex, Mr Potato Head, Buzz etc and had different starting modes or scoring like SW or Potc has.
[quoted image]

Given Zurg turned out to be Buzz in disguise, he kinda already is in the game…

#2256 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

Get a No Good Gophers. Same idea, executed better and a far more satisfying shot when made. And it fits the theme better than Caboom.
The jump ramp is the best shot in TS4. Yes, the art is nice. Yes, the light show is nice. But when those are the main selling points on a $12k game, the overall rating has to be lower.

Yup similar to ngg, same designer, so yup makes sense. The difference for me is that Ngg ramp is an eye sore.

And we believe that rating games shouldn’t be contingent upon price. That’s a different argument. But, we do feel like pricing is an important topic to discuss, which we did.

#2257 1 year ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

The category is Toys & Innovation. For me, a C+ isn’t a good rating. It’s not horrible. It’s not bad. It’s mixed.
When I compare this game’s mechs and innovation to other games, I come up with a C+. It’s the lowest grade I’ve given to a JJP game in this category.
I really like the jump ramp. I’m not aware of many games if any with that mech. And mechs are great and all, but this is a mech that feels great. It doesn’t get old for me.
The lighting of this game outperforms nearly that of any pinball machine ever made. So regardless, I’ve gotta give credit where it’s due.
Other things I like include dedicated animation on a second LCD screen. Plus, while I could leave it, the large playfield lcd screen is an industry first I believe (minus p3 playfield), and they coded a virtual pinball machine into it (with working pop bumpers feedback). Again, not my cup of tea, but as I try to be as fair as I can, it’s still innovative. Physical ball lock, mechanical kickback, incredible rgb integration, spinning wheel, pop up troll, opto spinners, large 27” display, another physical ball stop, yeah it certainly has enough to clear at least a C+ for me personally. But again, this is merely my analysis.

Thanks right. That is your review on the game. Either we agree or not. I enjoyed the hour long review and the work that went into it. I just got my Godzilla from you and I chose that over Toy Story. It could have been the other way around.

But anyone can go on YouTube create an account and make a review. Then link your review to a new forum topic. If not then move on and quit complaining about SDTM.

Zach and Greg please keep the reviews coming.

Josh

#2258 1 year ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Yup similar to ngg, same designer, so yup makes sense. The difference for me is that Ngg ramp is an eye sore.
And we believe that rating games shouldn’t be contingent upon price. That’s a different argument. But, we do feel like pricing is an important topic to discuss, which we did.

The problem with your rating system is it never goes below a C minus…why not just make it 9 point scale? It would be far more accurate

#2260 1 year ago
Quoted from Freakyguy666:

The problem with your rating system is it never goes below a C…why not just make it 9 point scale? It would be far more accurate

The "problem" is that these weirdos are the lucky type that just love everything pinball.

I was at this car show the other week and the DJ was playing all this old timey music "Dead Man's Curve" and shit like that. How lucky it would be to actually love that music; there's like a never ending supply of it and it's all the fucking same and you could listen to it all day and be happy.

Anyway, they're memorized by all things pinball like my kittens are with a laser pointer. It's weird, but lucky them. I wish I could play GB and not light myself on fire.

#2261 1 year ago

Actually most of the super rich (9-figure plus net worths) who I know don’t really care about the price if it “looks good” and JJP’s games definitely look good…

I've been around plenty of 9-figure folks...they come in many different shapes and sizes. It's ridiculous to generalize. Pinsiders are a unique bunch. There are a lot of buyers that just want a game for a room and (as you say) just want eye candy. No doubt. *ALL* of JJP's games are eye candy...no argument whatsoever! What this group usually obsesses over is the GAME itself. Is it fun? Is it unique? Does it have longevity? I just picked up a GZ Premium and feel like I'll be playing that game for a very long time before I feel real comfortable with it. Tough game with some really unique and amazing shots/flow.

#2262 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I wish I could play GB and not light myself on fire.

That game is the greatest disappointment in pinball. I absolutely hate the way it shoots.

#2263 1 year ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

I really like the jump ramp. I’m not aware of many games if any with that mech.

Revenge from Mars, Goldeneye, No Good Gofers.

#2264 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Revenge from Mars, Goldeneye, No Good Gofers.

Monday night football!

#2265 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

Monday night football!

"Jeffersons! Vegas!"

Quoted from zaphX:

That game is the greatest disappointment in pinball. I absolutely hate the way it shoots.

So fucking bad. Wonder why modern pins don't use low height bent metal for out/inlanes? Oh the balls just fucking jump over them. sweet design

#2266 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

So fucking bad. Wonder why modern pins don't use low height bent metal for out/inlanes? Oh the balls just fucking jump over them. sweet design

Sucks when a dream theme like Ghostbusters gets burned, too.

#2267 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I kept playing it expecting to like it more and it only made me unhappy. Quickest game I ever sold.

#2268 1 year ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I've been around plenty of 9-figure folks...they come in many different shapes and sizes. It's ridiculous to generalize. Pinsiders are a unique bunch. There are a lot of buyers that just want a game for a room and (as you say) just want eye candy. No doubt. *ALL* of JJP's games are eye candy...no argument whatsoever! What this group usually obsesses over is the GAME itself. Is it fun? Is it unique? Does it have longevity? I just picked up a GZ Premium and feel like I'll be playing that game for a very long time before I feel real comfortable with it. Tough game with some really unique and amazing shots/flow.

I’m not generalizing…I stated a fact…

#2269 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

The "problem" is that these weirdos are the lucky type that just love everything pinball.
I was at this car show the other week and the DJ was playing all this old timey music "Dead Man's Curve" and shit like that. How lucky it would be to actually love that music; there's like a never ending supply of it and it's all the fucking same and you could listen to it all day and be happy.
Anyway, they're memorized by all things pinball like my kittens are with a laser pointer. It's weird, but lucky them. I wish I could play GB and not light myself on fire.

Wtf are you talking aboot Law!!!!

GB is great. The pro blows

#2270 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I kept playing it expecting to like it more and it only made me unhappy. Quickest game I ever sold.

Mine was RM and I was accused of buying it to flip it. Nope, it was a huge disappointment due to paper-thin code.

#2271 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I will say that their Overall Ranking of TS4 is not too encouraging….Greg has it BEHIND WOZ and barely in top 30…

What I’m curious to see is how a TOP 5 Game like MM would rank using the same metrics…it certainly is full of toys but you can reach the Final Wizard Mode even easier than in TS4…
D217E109-A149-4BC5-8307-5DAAF63403DD (resized).jpegD217E109-A149-4BC5-8307-5DAAF63403DD (resized).jpegE471705B-C269-4EE5-93CB-D7649160250B (resized).jpegE471705B-C269-4EE5-93CB-D7649160250B (resized).jpeg

#2272 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Hell no. It’s top notch awesome.

Don’t get the hate.

Anybody want my LE for $20k? No sir.

Great Stern pin

#2273 1 year ago

I will say that their Overall Ranking of TS4 is not too encouraging….[quoted image][quoted image]

It’s entertainment Freaky.

If you can’t figure out what you like then you are dumber than a brick.

Not saying you. Lol

#2274 1 year ago
Quoted from jdlang11:

Thanks right. That is your review on the game. Either we agree or not. I enjoyed the hour long review and the work that went into it. I just got my Godzilla from you and I chose that over Toy Story. It could have been the other way around.
But anyone can go on YouTube create an account and make a review. Then link your review to a new forum topic. If not then move on and quit complaining about SDTM.
Zach and Greg please keep the reviews coming.

I agree with your first point. But not on the implication that if we disagree with part of the review that we somehow are complaining about SDTM.

They are high quality productions and Greg and Zach work well together. I think many categories are inflated but attribute that to the fact that Zach is a distributor who can’t afford to discourage potential customers and most games are reviewed in a vacuum (but I think that’s more of a generational thing).

My joking rule of thumb? If it’s less than a B+ they don’t like it

#2275 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Well that's a whole 'nother question; Does the price have any affect on a mechs rating?
I wouldn't say it does but I'm sure others would.

Damn dude quit making sense! I’m not use to agreeing with you.

#2276 1 year ago

I generally agree with you - my issue is that it’s all been done before. Recycled. And recycled from the 90s my friend. Can we not advance in pinball outside of screens and code(which is pheno imo)

Quoted from ZMeny:

The category is Toys & Innovation. For me, a C+ isn’t a good rating. It’s not horrible. It’s not bad. It’s mixed.
When I compare this game’s mechs and innovation to other games, I come up with a C+. It’s the lowest grade I’ve given to a JJP game in this category.
The lighting of this game outperforms nearly that of any pinball machine ever made. So regardless, I’ve gotta give credit where it’s due.
Other things I like include dedicated animation on a second LCD screen. Plus, while I could leave it, the large playfield lcd screen is an industry first I believe (minus p3 playfield), and they coded a virtual pinball machine into it (with working pop bumpers feedback). Again, not my cup of tea, but as I try to be as fair as I can, it’s still innovative. Physical ball lock, mechanical kickback, incredible rgb integration, spinning wheel, pop up troll, opto spinners, large 27” display, another physical ball stop, yeah it certainly has enough to clear at least a C+ for me personally. But again, this is merely my analysis.

#2277 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Not saying you. Lol

You missed the point…many on here are implying that SDTM’s review seems too favorable…but when you look at it in context, there’s no way to substantiate that claim…

#2278 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Mine was RM and I was accused of buying it to flip it. Nope, it was a huge disappointment due to paper-thin code.

Stop lying, please. R&M has great code, tons of modes, and just got an update with a bunch of new dimensions. R&M’s code, rules, sound & theme integration run circles around TSBore.

#2279 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Stop lying, please. R&M has great code, tons of modes, and just got an update with a bunch of new dimensions. R&M’s code, rules, sound & theme integration run circles around TSBore.

I'm serious. It was a dream theme for me. The code was not structured well; you see everything if you play it for an hour.

#2280 1 year ago

I’m not generalizing…I stated a fact…

hmm...a fact about your 9-figure friends purchasing habits? Why mention their net worth if you weren't generalizing? Here is the definition, fyi...

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/generalizing

#2281 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I'm serious. It was a dream theme for me. The code was not structured well; you see everything if you play it for an hour.

Have fun seeing all of TSBore on the first play, Liar McLiarson.

Most people don’t see past a mode or two per game on R&M due to the difficulty….and like any game, difficulty can be adjusted thru physical settings or code.

Super weird that you pick on R&M’s code. It has more mode content than most games. Did you sell it before Scary Terry, Rick Potion No 9, and Moonmen were added? The multiballs are extremely difficult as well. The game is a constant fun challenge. But hey, you got $15k Bo Peep Loops to look forward to!

#2282 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Quoted from zaphX:

You may be serious, but Greg is right The code rocks, sorry Derek. It's hilarious and wildly fun to shoot. The music and light show rock. Rick and Morty is Spooky's masterpiece (to date). I respect you might not like it, but the fact that you apparently love most of JJP's games and don't like Rick and Morty show we have insanely different taste in pinball games. Let me guess...you hate TRON?

#2283 1 year ago

I’m not sure why Zach continues to rate games since it’s impossible for him to be objective. Should just do game overviews/infomercials.

#2284 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

I agree that they wanted to take the flippers profit but they misunderstood that in doing so they ended up squashing all FOMO and any potential for owners to break even. I fully expect these to change hands under $10K, where they’re still more cost than CGC and Stern premiums.
Also, I understand they went big on the price but they should have backed it up with a tour de force of best rules and toys. If it had been like TBL or Potc with toys and BM66 on rules most likely it would have been better received. But they get lots of so-so reviews saying it’s fine but… nothing stands out except it’s price.
If they want a basic game, charge like $8-9-10K fine.

Problem with a manufacturer trying to price a game “to take the flippers out” (assuming that’s what they’re trying to do) is that flipper sales are only a small percentage of the market sales. It’s the small amount of buyers that missed out on the original allotment for whatever reason. But pricing the whole run of games at flipper pricing saturates the market. It’s as if 1000 CE’s all hit pinside marketplace at inflated price all at the same time.

#2285 1 year ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Thank you

#2286 1 year ago
Quoted from snaroff:

hmm...a fact about your 9-figure friends purchasing habits? Why mention their net worth if you weren't generalizing? Here is the definition, fyi...
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/generalizing

It’s not generalization…

Clearly you didn’t bother to read the definition you yourself posted…or simply didn’t grasp it….to be clear, I didn’t infer anything…I reported a fact…

#2287 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Most people don’t see past a mode or two per game on R&M due to the difficulty….and like any game, difficulty can be adjusted thru physical settings or code.
Super weird that you pick on R&M’s code. It has more mode content than most games. Did you sell it before Scary Terry, Rick Potion No 9, and Moonmen were added? The multiballs are extremely difficult as well. The game is a constant fun challenge. But hey, you got $15k Bo Peep Loops to look forward to!

Quoted from Rarehero:

Settle down Skippy!TSBore,Liar Mcliarson I sometimes disagree with you but generally you very personable.Where did you get Liar McLiarson from anyway?

#2288 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Not saying you. Lol

So true...Zach and Greg are fun to watch, but I don't take the reviews very seriously. SINCE I KNOW WHAT I LIKE

It’s not

Read the definition you yourself posted…I didn’t infer anything…I reported a fact…

Whatever...it really isn't that important! You reported a fact and didn't infer anything...there, I said it. Happy now?

#2289 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

But hey, you got $15k Bo Peep Loops to look forward to!

knock.gifknock.gif
#2290 1 year ago
Quoted from snaroff:

You may be serious, but Greg is right The code rocks, sorry Derek. It's hilarious and wildly fun to shoot. The music and light show rock. Rick and Morty is Spooky's masterpiece (to date). I respect you might not like it, but the fact that you apparently love most of JJP's games and don't like Rick and Morty show we have insanely different taste in pinball games. Let me guess...you hate TRON?

I am honestly glad you guys love it! I wish I did.

And yes I sold before scary terry and the other two.

The problem wasn’t the number of modes. It was that all were randomized so you got them all just for playing with no incentive to reach.

Maybe they changed that after I sold it. But seriously I’m really glad you guys are happy.

#2291 1 year ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Let me guess...you hate TRON?

Of course not. Love Tron.

#2292 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I’m not sure why Zach continues to rate games since it’s impossible for him to be objective. Should just do game overviews/infomercials.

Well Cookie, Because there are a shit load of idiots here.

And if they can’t figure out wtf is going on then that’s on them.

Nobody needs to save anybody FFS. Lol

Do you need any help? Nope.

It’s entertaining. Why can’t normal people get it?

The “trigger” crowd is ridiculous.

#2293 1 year ago
Quoted from snaroff:

So true...Zach and Greg are fun to watch, but I don't take the reviews very seriously. SINCE I KNOW WHAT I LIKE

Whatever...it really isn't that important! You reported a fact and didn't infer anything...there, I said it. Happy now?

Back to the Topic…based on Greg’s review, TS4 is 29 out of 46 games he reviewed…so all this talk about SDTM overrating the games is quite a “generalization”…

#2294 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

The problem wasn’t the number of modes. It was that all were randomized so you got them all just for playing with no incentive to reach.

So you wanted it to be linear? That would be super boring. The incentive to reach was to play, get points, complete the mode, and advance to the next adventure. Getting to the 10th is the only way to play Rick Potion #9 - essentially the wizard mode. You’ve also got tons of dimensions which all have fun/funny gameplay effects & allow you to collect mega seeds - another fun goal. Plus Meseeks, plus Gromflomite MB. We don’t care that you don’t like the game - but it’s just a flat out lie & insult to Erik’s great work to call it “paper thin” and that you see everything in an hour. You’re telling me in 12,000 plays on Wonka, you haven’t seen everything? Your comparative logic is just baffling.

Quoted from zaphX:

Of course not. Love Tron.

But but but you can see everything in 1 ball!

#2295 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

So you wanted it to be linear? That would be super boring. The incentive to reach was to play, get points, complete the mode, and advance to the next adventure. Getting to the 10th is the only way to play Rick Potion #9 - essentially the wizard mode. You’ve also got tons of dimensions which all have fun/funny gameplay effects & allow you to collect mega seeds - another fun goal. Plus Meseeks, plus Gromflomite MB. We don’t care that you don’t like the game - but it’s just a flat out lie & insult to Erik’s great work to call it “paper thin” and that you see everything in an hour. You’re telling me in 12,000 plays on Wonka, you haven’t seen everything? Your comparative logic is just baffling.

But but but you can see everything in 1 ball!

Speaking of…….

It’s really astounding what comes out of this guys pie hole. Lol

#2296 1 year ago
Quoted from adamsebas:

Have to admit it may look a bit bare toy wise etc but after watching the gameplay it looks really decent. It seems like a vast improvement over GNR which I think is a real stinker.

No pinball machine is a stinker. Only people are stinkers.

#2297 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

No pinball machine is a stinker. Only people are stinkers.

See above….

#2298 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You’re telling me in 12,000 plays on Wonka, you haven’t seen everything? Your comparative logic is just baffling.

Assuming by “seen” you mean reach every Wizard mode, the answer is no. Reaching PI is one of the toughest achievements in recent pinball…

#2299 1 year ago

Assuming by “seen” you mean reach every Wizard mode, the answer is no. Reaching PI is one of the toughest achievements in recent pinball…

Unachievable wizard modes might as well not even be there. HOT TAKE.

#2300 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

I agree that they wanted to take the flippers profit but they misunderstood that in doing so they ended up squashing all FOMO and any potential for owners to break even. I fully expect these to change hands under $10K, where they’re still more cost than CGC and Stern premiums.
Also, I understand they went big on the price but they should have backed it up with a tour de force of best rules and toys. If it had been like TBL or Potc with toys and BM66 on rules most likely it would have been better received. But they get lots of so-so reviews saying it’s fine but… nothing stands out except it’s price.
If they want a basic game, charge like $8-9-10K fine.

CGC is a pos company that can't figure out how to fix the flipper delay(button pressed to flipper coil activating) which is inconsistent anywere from 1.5 to 4.5 milliseconds. All 4 remake are cheap licensed to begin with. Don't get me started on stern premiums. I bought a ts4 and gz premium. Packed and shipped. Stern does not put the tipsy tell or shock detection or the 2 straps where the forks would hit
It and a extra layer of card board on the bottom on the their boxes

20220712_165531 (resized).jpg20220712_165531 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Bensenville, IL
$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 16.95
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Little Egg Harbor, NJ
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 11,500.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 18.50
Playfield - Decals
Lermods

$ 11,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 299.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Eville Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Littleton, CO
Wanted
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 649.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 3,033 posts in this topic. You are on page 46 of 61.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/toy-story-pinball-you-in-or-out/page/46?hl=dr-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.