20221112_154515 (resized).jpg
A998687C-C389-4532-9B8A-C1927F8FE722 (resized).jpeg
98FE8C16-B18B-4303-8F01-AEF9FBD292D9 (resized).jpeg
B2D1D22E-5D87-4040-8CB2-72C2104DD40E (resized).jpeg
E33CC087-4113-4171-960B-826AA3DDA785 (resized).jpeg
The King of Clunk.png
tenor.png
IMG_3968 (resized).jpeg
There are 3,033 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 61.
#501 1 year ago

Tragedy

#502 1 year ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Toy Story 4 Pinball Featurette (Jersey Jack Pinball, 2022)
An in-depth look into Jersey Jack Pinball's newest pinball machine release: Disney-Pixar's Toy Story 4
Hear about the game's creation from Toy Story 4 pinball designer Pat Lawlor, programmer Joe Katz, and marketer Ken Cromwell. They discuss working with Disney-Pixar, new technologies, and key features of this instant-classic pinball machine.
Join Woody, Buzz Lightyear, and Bo Peep into the world of Toy Story, under glass

Great overview video Zach, the SDTM team, and JJP! Thank you for putting this together, very informative.

#503 1 year ago

Amazing amount of overreaction and underreaction.

I think it will be fun. Would have liked to have seen more mechanical, but I think it is in keeping with the theme, designed to tell a story, and the LCD used to emulate Tiki Pinball makes sense (though a Stewie PF would have been cooler). Can't be too hard core as making it too difficult alienates the kids who are needed to keep the hobby afloat, hence the LCD virtual pin tie in, the attainable-by-design Wizard mode/ending, and easily identifiable areas/compartments.

Some thought went into this.

I'm looking forward to playing it.

Wouldn't buy this or anything worth this much sight unseen if I could help it, so that doesn't say much. If one were serious about buying a TS, the biggest question: a Wonka instead? And that has to do with who the audience is at one's specific home more than anything. TS is definitely more contemporary, but Wonka more mechanically inclined.

Stock market might be the biggest thing affecting this title, more than any ramp or choice of TS sequel to theme. Not a bad idea from a business decision to keep the manufacturing/SERVICE costs down, especially with the economy going down the road that it seems to be going down.

But for lovers of pin who want to see new works of art/innovation with every title, hard not to disappoint.

TS is going to be all right.

#504 1 year ago

Im glad I went for it and didnt get caught up with all these negative comments. We are talking about Pat Lawlor, creator of Addams family, you really think he is going to just give us a piece of crap on legs?

#505 1 year ago

I'll disagree with Pat Lawlor on the "In my world designing something in a pinball machine that no one ever sees except for 3 people is a waste of effort and time on our part" comment in regards to rules. A pinball machines ruleset can be approachable, offer multiple approachable modes, have more difficult modes, a mid wizard mode(s), and then also offer the insane Valnor and Somewhere over the Rainbow type wizard mode. There's a reason why many games have a mid wizard mode (or multiple) and then the super level wizard mode.

There needs to be things in regards to rules design that keeps owners coming back for years. A cousin of mine has 6,000+ games on his LOTR that he's owned since 2004, and he was blown a way a couple years back when he saw Valinor for the first time. Modes like that at these insane prices should be in games for long term value and fun. I want to own game that has a super wizard mode that may take me years to reach as there's still always something to go after. The mid wizard mode(s) offer a mode to reach for those great games and then the super wizard mode for a game of a lifetime.

#506 1 year ago

I just wish Keith Elwin and George Gomez could design pins as good as that talented team at JJP....said no one ever...

#507 1 year ago

If you thinking a "spinner" is a major feature of the game to be worth calling out in promotions and the 25 minute video, i can't explain how disappointed i am in this game. Look at the ground breaking they accomplished with Woz, Pirates, Dialed In, GNR, Wonka. Each game had something incredibly new. This was mailed in, sorry.

#508 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I'll disagree with Pat Lawlor on the "Something only 2 or 3 people ever see is a waste" comment in regards to rules. A pinball machines ruleset can be approachable, offer multiple approachable modes, have more difficult modes and then also offer the insane Valnor and Somewhere over the Rainbow wizard mode. There's a reason many games have a mid wizard modes (or multiple) and then the super level wizard mode.
There needs to be things that keep owners coming back for years. A cousin of mine has 6,000+ games on his LOTR that he's owned since 2004, and he was blown a way a couple years back when he saw Valinor for the first time. Modes like that at these insane prices should be games for long term value and fun. I want to own game that has a wizard mode that may take me years to reach as there's still always something to go after.

although I respect the thought, I actually prefer games that offer a short to medium ball time and do not require a science degree in pinball to complete. It is just not fun for anybody else other than someone who owned the game for 18 years....

#509 1 year ago

You guys are always so crabby!!

Game looks like fun to me. Can’t wait to fist pump that jump ramp shot!

#510 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I'll disagree with Pat Lawlor on the "Something only 2 or 3 people ever see is a waste" comment in regards to rules. A pinball machines ruleset can be approachable, offer multiple approachable modes, have more difficult modes, a mid wizard mode, and then also offer the insane Valnor and Somewhere over the Rainbow type wizard mode. There's a reason why many games have a mid wizard modes (or multiple) and then the super level wizard mode.
There needs to be things in regards to rules design that keeps owners coming back for years. A cousin of mine has 6,000+ games on his LOTR that he's owned since 2004, and he was blown a way a couple years back when he saw Valinor for the first time. Modes like that at these insane prices should be in games for long term value and fun. I want to own game that has a super wizard mode that may take me years to reach as there's still always something to go after. The mid wizard mode(s) offer a mode to reach for those great games and then the super wizard mode for a game of a lifetime.

Love to design easy rulesets so more than the typical 2 or 3 people get to see those all too-deep wizard modes, and then price it at 15k where average people won't even see the game on location.

#511 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

although I respect the thought, I actually prefer games that offer a short to medium ball time and do not require a science degree in pinball to complete. It is just not fun for anybody else other than someone who owned the game for 18 years....

There's room for both in a game. I think that's why having at least one, ideally 2-3, mid wizard modes is important to have in game. The mid wizard mode is something that players can reach on a good to great game. Things cannot stop there though at these insane prices. Having that super wizard mode that is only reached on a game of a lifetime is one of the ultimate pinball hooks for me.

I like knowing the despite seeing Battle the Witch on WOZ that I've owned since 2013 that I still have Somewhere over the Rainbow to go after. The same goes for The Hobbit with it's 3 mid wizard modes that I've reached (haven't beat) yet still have There and Back Again, the games super wizard mode, to reach. Dialed In has a similar hook with having to collect the Dialed In letters by collecting SIM cards after completing modes. It's things like that which keep players coming back for years, and decades, to come.

#512 1 year ago

I'm going to fist pump this game so hard I'm going to need a cattle glove!

#513 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I'll disagree with Pat Lawlor on the "Something only 2 or 3 people ever see is a waste" comment in regards to rules. A pinball machines ruleset can be approachable, offer multiple approachable modes, have more difficult modes, a mid wizard mode(s), and then also offer the insane Valnor and Somewhere over the Rainbow type wizard mode. There's a reason why many games have a mid wizard mode (or multiple) and then the super level wizard mode.

I thought the exact same thing when I was watching the video. It sounded lazy to me. I own quite a few games that I will never see the Wizard Mode in. I'm not getting to Encore. I'll never see 5 year mission. Do or Die Multiball is just stupid, because I'll never finish enough drones (ok, that one is an exception because nobody will get to Do or Die Multiball). I want something to be there that I can pretend I'm working towards, even if I'm not going to get there.

#514 1 year ago
Quoted from thewool:

Not sure if people read the fine print but callouts are by Bo Peep. Of all the characters to choose from...

They were saying how great it was to have Annie Potts!

As if anyone knows who she is?

#515 1 year ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I thought the exact same thing when I was watching the video. It sounded lazy to me. I own quite a few games that I will never see the Wizard Mode in. I'm not getting to Encore. I'll never see 5 year mission. Do or Die Multiball is just stupid, because I'll never finish enough drones (ok, that one is an exception because nobody will get to Do or Die Multiball). I want something to be there that I can pretend I'm working towards, even if I'm not going to get there.

You hit the nail on the head! I want to own games that have that crazy mode out there to reach super wizard mode. Hearing people reaching Valinor or Somewhere Over the Rainbow on default settings has always left me saying "Damn, that's awesome" and it's then something I want to go after. If it takes me years or never to reach it so be it as there's always the other 95% of the game to play. IMO there's no harm in putting a super wizard mode in a game if there's already some approachable modes up front. A game is actually less appealing to me if it doesn't have a super wizard mode.

#516 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

You hit the nail on the head! I want to own games that have that crazy mode out there to reach super wizard mode. Hearing people reaching Valinor or Somewhere Over the Rainbow on default settings has always left me saying "Damn, that's awesome" and it's then something I want to go after. If it takes me years or never to reach it so be it as there's always the other 95% of the game to play.

They address this clearly in the overview video. Historically, since < .001% of play time involve near-impossible wiz modes, they throw all the balls onto the playfield, wait until they drain or 45s pass and call it a day. If they're going to make end-modes interesting, they want people to see and play them or it's a waste of their design time. They added a difficult 'Woody' wiz carrot for those who need it.

#517 1 year ago

Sold out. Get ready for lots of people to be stuck with $2500 deposits in Marketplace. Personally $15K for a pinball machine is ludicrous but I know for some it's not. If it had been the Toy Story trilogy or the video had blown me away maaaayyyybe. Nope. I can wait to play one on location.

#518 1 year ago
Quoted from bjsilverballs:

Sold out. Get ready for lots of people to be stuck with $2500 deposits in Marketplace. Personally $15K for a pinball machine is ludicrous but I know for some it's not. If it had been the Toy Story trilogy or the video had blown me away maaaayyyybe. Nope. I can wait to play one on location.

Agreed

But it's got Annie Potts!

Who?

#519 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

Agreed
Who?

I take it you’ve never seen Ghostbusters?

19615903-7A25-462E-A8A9-D8641A537442 (resized).jpeg19615903-7A25-462E-A8A9-D8641A537442 (resized).jpeg
#520 1 year ago

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gifezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

#521 1 year ago

I was never in on this in the first place. The theme does nothing for me. Now that it's revealed, I see it's worse than I could have ever imagined. It looks like a pre schoolers toy chest vomited all over a real actual pinball machine. Maybe it will be fun? Who knows.

#522 1 year ago

As a huge Toy Story fan, and someone who was on a preorder list, this was an epic fail. Never mind the fact that it's based on TS 4 (that's bad enough), but look at the PF. WTF? Where are the toys? You'd think a pin based on a movie about toys would...I don't know....actually have freaking toys on it? The most exciting part of the pin is the jump ramp, and that's a rehash by Lawlor from No Good Gofers. Lame.

Order cancelled.

#523 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

Agreed
Who?

She is a voice actor who has been in all the Toy Stories as Bo Peep.

I'm not sure her name carries much weight, but the fact that they got the actual voice actors for Buzz & Bo Peep along with the perfect substitute for Woody, means something. You won't have something like AIQ, where the voice acting is abysmal.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001633/

#524 1 year ago

I'm out, I have to put new shingles on my house for about the same price.

#525 1 year ago

Nobody loves Toy Story more than my Disney family, however, I just continue to see what's great about Pinball (toys, mechs & real physics) being replaced by less expensive lcd's, tablets & software for more profit. A bunch of 'Fluff'. I'm hopeful the trend doesn't continue, the previous JJP's like Wonka look amazing in comparison to this effort. Godzilla is great. It's 'Toy' Story for Christ's sake! Why bother?! Just get a new iPad & Pinball FX3 instead, save your soul. 15K for a new pin? Sorry but this isn't about 'family' either. Not sure how many of us have young kids? but mine is grown & college is more important these days. I guess JJP didn't get the memo about inflation, food & gas? I'm out!

#526 1 year ago

435AF04F-5E02-47BF-BA54-84B01B20B894 (resized).jpeg435AF04F-5E02-47BF-BA54-84B01B20B894 (resized).jpeg
#527 1 year ago

20 plus year ago I was at an Audi dealer ship and the sale man said they were a coffin price plus repairs in so deep you will never get out. This might be the new coffin 12k. I can see how they got away with that on G&R not on this.

#528 1 year ago

If the Wizard mode is easy to obtain then I'll just play it on location. No need to pay that much for something that will assuredly depreciate. The only reason to have one is if you have or know kids who are especially attached to the theme.

From a critical standpoint, the tickets seems too much rehashing of the wonka bars, and aesthetically the games look too similar for someone like JJP who only has 8 games.

#529 1 year ago

This reveal is crying out for a Hitler video.

#530 1 year ago

Were Dealers or JJP asking for $2500 non-refundable deposits???

#531 1 year ago
Quoted from sepins:

Were Dealers or JJP asking for $2500 non-refundable deposits???

My distro will provide my invoice tonight... Let's see if its $1,000 or $2,500 as requested by JJP website.

#532 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

Agreed
Who?

C'mon, you never saw Corvette Summer???

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#533 1 year ago

Annie Pots could anchor the “celebrity table” at Texas Pinball Festival. Give her the proper due!!

#534 1 year ago

I was never in at this price point, but I was very excited for a Toy Story pin. This is not for me at all, like so many others TS4, really yeah no thanks. Also I do not like when the big toy is a cheap screen. Why would anyone want virtual pinball as a mini game in real pinball?

#535 1 year ago

Still waiting for the sequel to Corvette Summer...the first one left so many unanswered questions.

#536 1 year ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I was never in at this price point, but I was very excited for a Toy Story pin. This is not for me at all, like so many others TS4, really yeah no thanks. Also I do not like when the big toy is a cheap screen. Why would anyone want virtual pinball as a mini game in real pinball?

yeah, terrible idea and flow interruption, please do away with any video modes, this is pinball!

#537 1 year ago

I watched the youtube video from JJP and Pat says the game is more or less designed for ‘non pinballers’ so kids etc. or people who have no connection yet to pinball and never had one.

So for the hardcore pinballer this game is less interesting, but JJP will reach a large audience with this game for sure.
So I think we should look at this game from
this perspective.
It will hopefully bring more new people to the hobby.

#538 1 year ago
Quoted from Faust:

I watched the youtube video from JJP and Pat says the game is more or less designed for ‘non pinballers’ so kids etc. or people who have no connection yet to pinball and never had one.
So for the hardcore pinballer this game is less interesting, but JJP will reach a large audience with this game for sure.
this perspective.

Tough to get new entrants in at $12500. Most people new to the hobby that I know tend to go virtual first or buy an older game that has some kind of nostalgia for them.

#539 1 year ago

Makes my CCR LE look even better and it’s 3K cheaper ! Thanks JJP toy story is a pass for me but I do look forward to playing it in a barcade

#540 1 year ago
Quoted from Faust:

this perspective.

yeah I cant wait to get my machine and have my daughter finish all the rules on this with 3 balls! Ill just press launch, she will know what to do.

Game-Rules-Flow-Chart-c8bc4466 (resized).jpegGame-Rules-Flow-Chart-c8bc4466 (resized).jpeg
#541 1 year ago

I seriously get the feeling that sometimes, JJP literally goes out of their way to misunderstand what the actual fans of a theme would want in a pinball game.

Here are some examples of TOYS that most toy story fans would want in a game, and could also make great interactive pinball toys:

Woody
Buzz
Jessie
Zurg! (Imagine the battle opportunities)
Andy (seriously, where is Andy??)
Mr/Mrs Potato Head
Slinky Dog
The aliens and the claw
Bullseye
Etch a sketch
The pig (I forget his name)
Little green army men

This is off the top of my head but the list could go on. All of this seems pretty under represented. I guess it could show up on the screen but this stuff needs to be physically represented. At least some of it.

Here's a list of things most toy story fans probably don't give a crap about:

Carnivals
Gabby Gabby
Benson??
A rabbit and duck
Weird ventriloquist dummy dudes
Forky (ok I admit some people do like Forky)

#542 1 year ago

I like this game for what it appears to be, an entry level type game with a relevant theme to get kids into pinball.

Where I think it will fail is the price tag. From a enthusiast standpoint, it's ridiculously overpriced for what you get, especially compared to what you get on other JJP games at the same price point.

From an operator standpoint, you don't see many premium games on location (real location, not pinball palaces), it's always the 6K-8K Stern Pro's. Are operators going to invest $4k+ more for a location game even if it is a pretty good theme? (genuine question but I would think probably not)

#543 1 year ago

I'm out. Not worth the trade I was working on to me.

LTG : )

#544 1 year ago

Out, it was unlikely already for me regarding the theme but I was keeping an open mind on it. Looks like it could be a fun game going off the SDTM video but that price is rough. 12k is really tough when I can't say I'd have anymore fun with this than a comparable Stern Premium. Definitely will be one I try to check out on location somewhere but for the home, which it sounds like they really want to capture here, I'm out.

#545 1 year ago

Was out on this anyway as far as purchasing for home but I still hope to ride a fun hype train hobo style. Look forward to playing this soon.

#546 1 year ago

Honestly, I think any Toy Story machine that didn't have a magnet "claw" for use from TS1 and 3 would be a complete fail for me. This is worse.

#547 1 year ago

After watching the promo video with the guy and the little girl playing the game, I totally feel like Michael Jackson would have had one of these at Neverland ranch. That's all I'm sayin'.....

#548 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You guys are always so crabby!!
Game looks like fun to me. Can’t wait to fist pump that jump ramp shot!

It does look fun - most machines are,
just not going in my house

#549 1 year ago
Quoted from Fizz:

I seriously get the feeling that sometimes, JJP literally goes out of their way to misunderstand what the actual fans of a theme would want in a pinball game.
Here are some examples of TOYS that most toy story fans would want in a game, and could also make great interactive pinball toys:
Woody
Buzz
Jessie
Zurg! (Imagine the battle opportunities)
Andy (seriously, where is Andy??)
Mr/Mrs Potato Head
Slinky Dog
The aliens and the claw
Bullseye
Etch a sketch
The pig (I forget his name)
Little green army men
This is off the top of my head but the list could go on. All of this seems pretty under represented. I guess it could show up on the screen but this stuff needs to be physically represented. At least some of it.
Here's a list of things most toy story fans probably don't give a crap about:
Carnivals
Gabby Gabby
Benson??
A rabbit and duck
Weird ventriloquist dummy dudes
Forky (ok I admit some people do like Forky)

This sums it up perfectly I thought it would be based on all the movies but just the fourth one I never saw. A Toy Story pinball with no BASH TOYS!!!!!! I love JJP games but this is disappointing with all the possibilities they had with that universe (They Kenobied this one)

#550 1 year ago
Quoted from thewool:

How do you sell a 3 year old IP as a fresh idea?

Fresh ain't the problem. People are clamoring for 27-year-old IP.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Champaign, IL
$ 11,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 16.95
$ 299.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Eville Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Kennebunkport, ME
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 11,500.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Littleton, CO
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 18.50
Playfield - Decals
Lermods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 3,033 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 61.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/toy-story-pinball-you-in-or-out/page/11?hl=fizz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.