20230721_224445.jpg
hysterical-laughter.gif
limbo.gif
59F784CF-C9AD-4D45-B1B6-66EC23585188 (resized).jpeg
giphy (14).gif
PXL_20230609_104627867.MP (resized).jpg
889D300D-CADF-4080-A838-DA61D50814B2 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 622 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 13.
#251 7 months ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

First it was Thiel,

They didn't get rid of Thiel like me and Butch. Deeproot tied him up for a few years and he didn't work for anybody else during that time.

He is back with PPS/CGC/PMP on Pulp Fiction. So he may do work for others again in the future.

LTG : )

#252 7 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

They didn't get rid of Thiel like me and Butch. Deeproot tied him up for a few years and he didn't work for anybody else during that time.
He is back with PPS/CGC/PMP on Pulp Fiction. So he may do work for others again in the future.

Ahh, I see. Another reason to own Pulp down the road when the hype wears off!

#253 7 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Speakers can’t change sound design. They’re using these guys who make slot machine/freemium app music & sound, and it’s just annoying and grating. It doesn’t sound “pinball” and it doesn’t sound good. Theil is a legend & they burned that bridge.

Thing is JJP isnt interested in producing A+ content for the A+ licenses. They have figured out many people will pay for C- content(and amazon cake toppers), if its an A+ license. Maybe some buyers are finally getting sick of being burned by TS 4 and now GF. Time will tell if they can continue with this philosophy.

#254 7 months ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Thing is JJP isnt interesred in producing A+ content for the A+ licenses. They have figured out many people will pay for C- content(and amazon cake toppers), if it’s an A+ license. Maybe some buyers are finally gdtting sick of being burned by TS 4 and now GF. Time will tell if they can continue with this philosophy.

Well, only they know if the financials make sense. Would they get enough extra sales to make it worth putting in the extra juice? I dunno…for me personally, I bought Hobbit even tho it was a “C” license because they gave it the A+++ treatment. Also I paid $7500 or 8500.

#255 7 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Well, only they know if the financials make sense. Would they get enough extra sales to make it worth putting in the extra juice? I dunno…for me personally, I bought Hobbit even tho it was a “C” license because they gave it the A+++ treatment. Also I paid $7500 or 8500.

They gave WOZ the A+++ treatment and it's still dull. So, certainly another case of it depends on what your definition of the word "is" is. JJP games are just devoid of electricity, energy, excitement regardless of how packed, colorful, or whatever.

#256 7 months ago
Quoted from usandthem:

They gave WOZ the A+++ treatment and it's still dull. So, certainly another case of it depends on what your definition of the word "is" is. JJP games are just devoid of electricity, energy, excitement regardless of how packed, colorful, or whatever.

Agreed. My issue with WOZ from Day 1 is that we were supposed to be wowed that it was "packed"...but none of the stuff amounted to anything for the player. The witch was behind targets, you didn't hit her. The spinning house was over a loop, you didn't interact with it. The castle door just opens to reveal a kickout...zzzz. The monkey took the ball up, but so did the VUK - so why have both? But yeah, not one game has been a total win. There's always a thing or two goofy that turns me off. Dialed In is the best playing, IMO...but the theme & art are so dopey.

#257 7 months ago

Dialed in would have been much better received if they had called it

“Disaster in Quantum City” or “quantum city disaster “

And…. They fixed the scoring.

Ultimately it is the scoring that has caused me to lose interest (although we still own it). It’s basically start a mode and try to hit bing bang. Everything else is irrelevant…. Especially the multiballs.

#258 7 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

My issue with WOZ from Day 1 is that we were supposed to be wowed that it was "packed"...but none of the stuff amounted to anything for the player.

Preach! 26 stand-up targets (27 if you count the witch). 7 rollover buttons. 11 outlane switches, a record that should never be broken. One ramp. I guess the upper playfield doors count as a ball-interactive toy.

#259 7 months ago

TS4 is my favorite JJP game….I don’t have much time of Godfather, Hobbit, or PoTC… but I like it 100x over WOZ.

It is also our most popular game when non-pinheads come over. It and MM are usually the only games they spend much time on.

#260 7 months ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:

Ultimately it is the scoring that has caused me to lose interest (although we still own it). It’s basically start a mode and try to hit bing bang. Everything else is irrelevant…. Especially the multiballs.

I've heard you mention this before, but how many Big bang's are you lighting in one game?

#261 7 months ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:

You actually get a lot more points if you play out the modes once you have some SIM cards stacked up. They act like a multiplier. I have had some near-million modes that would have been a lot less if I went for Big Bang.

#262 7 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I've heard you mention this before, but how many Big bang's are you lighting in one game?

Only 2 or 3…. But… I find myself only going for them. It is a character flaw that I have!

#263 7 months ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

You actually get a lot more points if you play out the modes once you have some SIM cards stacked up. They act like a multiplier. I have had some near-million modes that would have been a lot less if I went for Big Bang.

For sure…. But even then… the game is pretty one dimensional

#264 7 months ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:

Only 2 or 3…. But… I find myself only going for them. It is a character flaw that I have!

Well, I wouldn't really call that an exploit of the rules. 2-3 completed modes isn't much Obviously they should be stacked with MBs to bang the jackpots as well. Even them the Sim cards just make the modes more lucrative

#265 7 months ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:

For sure…. But even then… the game is pretty one dimensional

Have you tried my tweaks to the rules mentioned in the DI thread? It makes it about the same difficulty as tz, so you need to open the Outlanes and make the slings sensitive. It balances the Bob modes and allows you to reach theatre mb more often. I actually try to complete Bob modes now as they make the mb worth a lot. The mb staffing is crazy fun too.

I've never nerfed a game before DI, but the default settings ruin the game. The balance just isn't there.

#266 7 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

TS4 has cake toppers.

Please provide a link, I am looking for a cheap backup set.

#267 7 months ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Have you tried my tweaks to the rules mentioned in the DI thread? It makes it about the same difficulty as tz, so you need to open the Outlanes and make the slings sensitive. It balances the Bob modes and allows you to reach theatre mb more often. I actually try to complete Bob modes now as they make the mb worth a lot. The mb staffing is crazy fun too.
I've never nerfed a game before DI, but the default settings ruin the game. The balance just isn't there.

Great suggestion

#268 7 months ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Internet dot com dot org dot biz

#269 7 months ago
Quoted from fnosm:

ebay.com link: itm

#270 7 months ago
Quoted from DNO:

TS4 was for sure overpriced by JJP, basically to test the market. That test got a D-, but passed.
Now, they will settle to probably 8k or so, maybe the same as a weak premium.

LoL, sure they will

Finally got a chance to play godfather and toy story. While I found them both a disappointment, toy story was much better than godfather.

#271 7 months ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

LoL, sure they will
Finally got a chance to play godfather and toy story. While I found them both a disappointment, toy story was much better than godfather.

Really?

#272 7 months ago

For me, yes. I was really looking forward to playing godfather and was very disappointed.
And to really freak you out, I thought GTF was better than both of them!

#273 7 months ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

For me, yes. I was really looking forward to playing godfather and was very disappointed.
And to really freak you out, I thought GTF was better than both of them!

I havent played GTF, but i can clearly see how it is probably better than both.

#274 7 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

To clarify:
I was pushed out of JJP by a senior programmer who "wanted more options". This individual had already hired a 'sound guy' to do Toy Story. I appealed to JJP management over his head and eventually signed a contract for Toy Story. This event convinced me to seek other work and DR came along. My DR contract had a provision for working part-time for DR till I had finished my JJP obligations. It was at that time that Disney changed the rules and Toy Story (which I wanted to work on) became Wonka (which I didn't, for reasons beyond this post). Since no money had changed hands yet, the "Toy Story" contract was torn up.

I was never a JJP employee, but rather a contractor. So, the JJP programmer has gotten what he wanted and I hope that it is working out for him.

#275 7 months ago

Thank you daudioguy.

#276 7 months ago

Just picked up a TS4CE at a great price...This pin is super fun, we are loving it

#277 7 months ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

To clarify:
I was pushed out of JJP by a senior programmer who "wanted more options". This individual had already hired a 'sound guy' to do Toy Story. I appealed to JJP management over his head and eventually signed a contract for Toy Story. This event convinced me to seek other work and DR came along. My DR contract had a provision for working part-time for DR till I had finished my JJP obligations. It was at that time that Disney changed the rules and Toy Story (which I wanted to work on) became Wonka (which I didn't, for reasons beyond this post). Since no money had changed hands yet, the "Toy Story" contract was torn up.
I was never a JJP employee, but rather a contractor. So, the JJP programmer has gotten what he wanted and I hope that it is working out for him.

Clearly, not well.

#278 7 months ago

To clarify:
I was pushed out of JJP by a senior programmer who "wanted more options".

Hmm, a senior programmer at JJP? I wonder who that could be??? lol Their loss imo. daudioguy you rock, a true asset to any pinball/gaming company!

#279 7 months ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

To clarify:

You are sorely missed

#280 7 months ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Just picked up a TS4CE at a great price...This pin is super fun, we are loving it

That's why I want to have one as well, but since I don't like to pay 12k or whatever, no CE for me. Even around 10k for a LE is close to a pass for me.

And, for the HOU fans here: No TS4LE around here in WA state, so NIB might be the way to go for now.

I heard some dealers are willing to see TS4 LE NIB for $9,250, but cannot confirm so far...

#281 7 months ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

So, the JJP programmer has gotten what he wanted and I hope that it is working out for him.

He must love clarinet and slot machine sounds over pinball sound royalty.

giphy (14).gifgiphy (14).gif
#282 7 months ago
Quoted from manadams:

He must love clarinet and slot machine sounds over pinball sound royalty.[quoted image]

If you become universally loved by the community your days are numbered at JJP like Butch, LTG, and Thiel.

#283 7 months ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

To clarify:

So when kaneda claims that Wonka was supposed to be toy story, he is correct. I assume wonka vision was supposed to be the etcha sketch

#284 7 months ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

To clarify:

Any further insights you can share on “ It was at that time that Disney changed the rules and Toy Story (which I wanted to work on) became Wonka”.

Thanks

#285 7 months ago

Feb 2018 I signed a JJP contract for the next game which was by common understanding Toy Story based on assets from Toy Story and perhaps Toy Story 2. I was already seeking other clients. It wasn't long after when I was told that Toy Story would be based on the upcoming Toy Story 4 (licensor choice). AV assets from a license are not shared till the movie DVD comes out which swapped a new license in for my contract. I am a huge fan of Randy Newman's work and this was the appeal of the Toy Story project. While I like the Wonka movie I was dubious about how appropriate the Leslie Bricusse score was for a pinball game and I did not look forward to that challenge under the existing circumstances. Since I had an 'out' I took it.

#286 7 months ago
Quoted from pbot:

That's why I want to have one as well, but since I don't like to pay 12k or whatever, no CE for me. Even around 10k for a LE is close to a pass for me.
And, for the HOU fans here: No TS4LE around here in WA state, so NIB might be the way to go for now.
I heard some dealers are willing to see TS4 LE NIB for $9,250, but cannot confirm so far...

If you or anyone else can verify these $9200 NIB TS4's, please post how to obtain one.

#287 7 months ago

I agree. If we are in that price range for a NIB, I think my wife will finally get one.

Quoted from usandthem:

If you or anyone else can verify these $9200 NIB TS4's, please post how to obtain one.

#288 7 months ago
Quoted from usandthem:

I dont think a retailer can list them that low. But as mentioned before, the deals are on opened used models. Why not just buy an open boxed one with barely any plays that are like new?

#289 7 months ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

I dont think a retailer can list them that low. But as mentioned before, the deals are on opened used models. Why not just buy an open boxed one with barely any plays that are like new?

A couple of distros have been using that loophole on TS4 and Bond 60th. Pop the box and sell for less.

#290 7 months ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

I’d much prefer gently used to NIB.

#291 7 months ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

A couple of distros have been using that loophole on TS4 and Bond 60th. Pop the box and sell for less.

Which distros? Please feel free to Pm me if it's something not to be revealed here publicly.

#292 7 months ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

I’d much prefer gently used to NIB.

Can you please elaborate why?

Pro: Of course slightly cheaper.what else?

Cons: Less warranty, can have wear of use (scratches etc.), Getting it "back in the box" for shipping and more

What am I missing here?

#293 7 months ago
Quoted from pbot:

Can you please elaborate why?
Pro: Of course slightly cheaper.what else?

The big pro is you have someone with a ton of experience setting it up and breaking it in a little. There's a bathtub shaped failure curve to a lot of parts. They are either going to fail right away or a long time from now. By having a skilled distro open and setup the machine, you have a better chance of getting the machine after the initial failure of parts that are going to fail right away.

#294 7 months ago

Can’t believe folk are bashing WOZ or DI!

#295 7 months ago

Was just at Free Gold Watch, they had TS4 for .25¢ a play, full house of punters, didn't see one play on it, was there for a while, not a good sign.
My 5 year old loves it, but we are spoiled and can just pop over to the pirate's and play for free anytime, I'd never buy it.
B

#296 7 months ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:

I love dialed in, but the multiball points are borderline worthless. If they fixed that in the code I'd think it would be an all time favorite.

#297 7 months ago
Quoted from ZooDude:

they had TS4 for .25¢ a play

Ouch!!! Sounds like an operator nightmare trying to recoup 12K for a NIB. Just don't get why JJP stopped offering the SE, something to compete with Stern pro/premiums and more operator friendly.

#298 7 months ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I love dialed in, but the multiball points are borderline worthless. If they fixed that in the code I'd think it would be an all time favorite.

100%

#299 7 months ago

Again, you just have to adjust the default rules. It makes it an entirely new game. I agree on the MB though. The jackpots are everywhere. If they did a theatre/sim combo super jackpot, it would be way better. JJP just doesn't write good code. Even their best games have mediocre code...

#300 7 months ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Again, you just have to adjust the default rules. It makes it an entirely new game. I agree on the MB though. The jackpots are everywhere. If they did a theatre/sim combo super jackpot, it would be way better. JJP just doesn't write good code. Even their best games have mediocre code...

What are the adjustments for DI menu?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
8,899 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
There are 622 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/toy-story-how-low-can-it-go-/page/6?hl=nc_pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.