(Topic ID: 320816)

Toy Story 4 vs Willy Wonka - Clash of the (modern Lawlor) Titans!

By Tuna_Delight

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Krupps4
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Toy Story 4 vs Willy Wonka - Clash of the (modern Lawlor) Titans!”

• Willy Wonka is a better overall game than Toy Story 4! 86 votes
    88%
  • Toy Story 4 is a better overall game than Willy Wonka! 12 votes
    12%

(98 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png

#1 1 year ago

Clash of the latest two Pat Lawlor games!

For those that have played/owned both ... what say ye - how do these compare?

Poll provided for your voting pleasure!

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Clash of the Pat Lawlor modern titans! (Part I)
For those that have played/owned both ... what say ye - how do these compare?

I chose Wonka, which is great. Dialed In is his best modern game by a long shot, it's an incredible game.

#3 1 year ago

Wonka by miles

#4 1 year ago

Wonka

#5 1 year ago

I thought Wonka was a turd. TS muat be pretty bad.

#6 1 year ago

I haven’t played wonka on the latest code, but I chose TS. I actually like the simplicity of it. Wonka was pretty tough to understand and progress. Clearly wonka has more depth, but I have more fun playing TS.

#8 1 year ago

To me, this question falls on two different ways to answer: home vs location.

On location I would prefer TS4. Simple, fun shooter that I can progress through the code fairly easily.

At Home: Wonka all day. It’s got more interesting shots that satisfies me more compared to TS4. Even if the code is deep or not.. just more strategy to do with Wonka compared to TS4.

For that reason, and others not mentioned, Wonka is better for home use.

#9 1 year ago

Wonka all day. More mechanical toys, more features, actual 3D molds versus cake toppers, more shots, and a deeper ruleset.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I thought Wonka was a turd. TS must be pretty bad.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Wonka all day. More mechanical toys, more features, actual 3D molds versus cake toppers, more shots, and a deeper ruleset.

Yep, it's all relative. TS4 is a decent 8k machine selling for 12k, it's like a Stern Pro with an extra 1k in bling. But not a top Stern Pro, like JP or GZ. More like a Munsters Pro - which also has the same single pop-up toy, Spot/Gabby.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I'm not sure I agree with a lot of these point. I do agree that Wonka does have more features and a much deeper ruleset.

However, doesn't Wonka have less mechanical toys than TS4?

Also, what do you consider a shot? I count 10 shots on both games.

In my opinion, the TS4 cake toppers are more detailed than their custom 3D molds on Wonka. I mean look at this guy.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#12 1 year ago

TS may have more than wonka. Been a little while since I’ve been in front of a wonka so may have missed something.

Wonka has the wonkavision, spinning gobstopper, the wonka smokestack, one spinner, captive ball, subway and for the LE the wonkavator lock mech.

TS has the spinning disc, tablet, captive ball, duke caboom jump, two spinners, gabby pop up and a 4th pop bumper. It also has a ball lock mech for road trip mb.

Im not counting the plastic houses on both as mechs. Missing anything?

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from beergut666:

I chose Wonka, which is great. Dialed In is his best modern game by a long shot, it's an incredible game.

Agreed. Unsure why DI is not in the poll.

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

Because I'm not asking what the best modern Lawlor game is. Rather, I'm specifically looking for opinions of how TS4 (which I have yet to see firsthand) compares to Wonka (which I own).

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from explosiveegg:

I'm not sure I agree with a lot of these point. I do agree that Wonka does have more features and a much deeper ruleset.
However, doesn't Wonka have less mechanical toys than TS4?
Also, what do you consider a shot? I count 10 shots on both games.
In my opinion, the TS4 cake toppers are more detailed than their custom 3D molds on Wonka. I mean look at this guy.[quoted image]

Regarding toys / features Wonka has the large spinning Gobstopper, the rotating ball lock that integrates with a subway, 6 magnets under the playfield (think 7 total in the game), the huge Wonkavator ball lock mech with a VUK and 3 physical ball lock, kickback, Wonka Vision LCD toy, and the LED factory sign. I'll take those toys and features any day over what is in Toy Story 4.

Also, the mini LCD in Wonka actually has a rather nice 3D painted mold around it saying Wonka Vision versus the ugly plain blue bezel on Toy Story's 10" LCD. It actually represents something from the theme. What does the 10" LCD in Toy Story represent from the theme? Does one of the kids have an iPad? The mini TV and Oompa Loompa in Wonka are at least custom made for the game (plus there's a red LED on the camera to represent "recording") versus off the shelf cake toppers that can be bought from Amazon.

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from Lermods:

TS may have more than wonka. Been a little while since I’ve been in front of a wonka so may have missed something.
Wonka has the wonkavision, spinning gobstopper, the wonka smokestack, one spinner, captive ball, subway and for the LE the wonkavator lock mech.
TS has the spinning disc, tablet, captive ball, duke caboom jump, two spinners, gabby pop up and a 4th pop bumper. It also has a ball lock mech for road trip mb.
Im not counting the plastic houses on both as mechs. Missing anything?

Yup, 7 magnets (6 under the playfield) in Wonka. Also need to add the spinning physical ball lock that is below the spinning gobstopper. The Wonkavator lock mech is a fairly substantial mech, larger then any mech in Toy Story, with a VUK and 3 ball physical ball lock. It would have been nice if Toy Story 4 had a similar sized physical mech in it versus a 10" LCD. It seems odd to have a modern pin void of any physical mechs (besides pop bumpers which nearly all games have) in the back 1/3 of the playfield.

#17 1 year ago

But doesn’t TS4 have a physical ball lock at least?

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Also, the mini LCD in Wonka actually has a rather nice 3D painted mold around it saying Wonka Vision versus the ugly plain blue bezel on Toy Story's 10" LCD. It actually represents something from the theme. What does the 10" LCD in Toy Story represent from the theme? Does one of the kids have an iPad?

This is one of my biggest issues with TS4. I don't mind a screen on the playfield, I love the Wonka Vision as it makes total sense with the theme and gameplay. The TS4 tablet eats up way more of the playfield and has nothing to do with Toy Story. If Lawlor and team had put an interactive physical toy/mech/shot/whatever up there instead of the huge tablet I think people would enjoy this game more.

I was ready to buy a TS4 before I got time on it. I don't hate it, I think it's fun but ultimately it's a miss for me. Definitely prefer Wonka.

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

Because no one wants a game about a cellphone.

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Also, the mini LCD in Wonka actually has a rather nice 3D painted mold around it saying Wonka Vision versus the ugly plain blue bezel on Toy Story's 10" LCD. It actually represents something from the theme.

Except that in the movie, the entire point of wonkavision is that it's NOT a screen. Like everyone thinks it's a screen and then the actual miniature kid comes out of it. There's no screen there. That's the whole point.

Representing this in the game with a screen is the exact opposite of what it's supposed to be.

Honestly this is the main thing that bugs me about that game. I was actually just playing it today on location and it's a pretty good pin otherwise.

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Regarding toys / features Wonka has the large spinning Gobstopper, the rotating ball lock that integrates with a subway, 6 magnets under the playfield (think 7 total in the game), the huge Wonkavator ball lock mech with a VUK and 3 physical ball lock, kickback, Wonka Vision LCD toy, and the LED factory sign. I'll take those toys and features any day over what is in Toy Story 4.

Interesting.

I like the toys on TS4 more than Wonka.

Both games have kickbacks, an additional screen, and fancy signs with lighting. I wouldn't rate one games implementation of these better than another.

In terms of the randomizer toy, I personally have found the TS4 spinning disc to be more fun than the Wonka playfield magnets because of how it's integrated in the game as a real spinner with real awards. Most people I know tend to be against games with randomizing magnets, after all, there is a reason they always get turned off for tournaments in games like The Addams Family. It's not fun to have a game end your ball due to a random magnet firing. It's one of the most annoying ways to lose a ball. It's almost as bad as a ball jumping a flipper or a VUK spitting the ball right down the center.

Both games feature a 3 ball multiball physical locking system. Wonka's implementation is definitely better here.

The main toy of Wonka is the Gobstopper mech. I always found this toy to be very disappointing. It's essentially a target you hit to reveal a scoop. Not only that, but the VUK part of the scoop subway feeds the ball straight to the plunger. It doesn't lock the balls, it doesn't pop the ball into play from a cool part of the playfield. It just puts it back into the shooter lane... Had it been used to actually lock balls and then fire the balls on the playfield when you lock 3, it would've been a cool mech. I do like the aesthetics of the spinning Gobstopper though.

The main toy in TS4 is the Jump Ramp with independently controlled posts. The jump ramp is an extremely satisfying ramp and getting those jump ramp combos feels really good. There is something very satisfying when a game has one of those repeating ramp shots where you feel the pressure keep growing after each shot you make. It's the main reason I keep Police Force in my collection. I also like how those Benson posts individually being used to predict and block your shots in that Benson mode to just be plain fun. I really like the Jump Ramp toy.

TS4 does also has the Gabby Gabby mech, not that it's anything special. It does add to the experience, it just doesn't add much.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think either game really does a great job with Toys. TS4 pretty clearly beats out WW in the Toy category for me.

Worth noting, I do think WW is the better game overall. That is almost entirely due to its deeper code though. If code wasn't a factor, I think TS4 would be a better game than WW.

#22 1 year ago

I think that many people just judge a book by its cover …and I can tell that many people do not even own TS and just shit on that game as it’s to expensive and does not have many features.

It’s not even out for a week or so in Europe and people from Europe already saying the game is shit and wonka is better when they not even had a chance to touch the game . And last 2 years wonka sales where shit in Europe and now it’s better?! Yeah right haha
Look at dialed in packed to death and many people shit on that game and now it’s one of the better lawler games. Ts shoots like butter.
Did I wish it had more toys and features well yes, For me I like ts more then wonka but wonka had a deeper ruleset for now and is harder. And yes dialed in is also a great game but that’s not in this discussion

#23 1 year ago
Quoted from Fizz:

Except that in the movie, the entire point of wonkavision is that it's NOT a screen. Like everyone thinks it's a screen and then the actual miniature kid comes out of it. There's no screen there. That's the whole point.
Representing this in the game with a screen is the exact opposite of what it's supposed to be.
Honestly this is the main thing that bugs me about that game. I was actually just playing it today on location and it's a pretty good pin otherwise.

Well there’s no way in reality to produce a real world Wonkavision lol. I really don’t understand this complaint, did DARPA just announce a Wonkavision project? Should the mini LCD in Hobbit be criticized because it’s not a real book and the one in Pirates because it’s not a real compass?

Wonkavision in the film takes objects, scales them down using the camera, and places a real miniature version of them on your TV. Just so we are all clear that can’t happen in the real world lol. That’s why in the pinball machine the camera on the game takes your picture, you hear the Wonkavision sounds, and you see it going to the large and mini LCD. That’s pretty cool.

#24 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Well there’s no way in reality to produce a real world Wonkavision lol. I really don’t understand this complaint, did DARPA just announce a Wonkavision project? Should the mini LCD in Hobbit be criticized because it’s not a real book and the one in Pirates because it’s not a real compass?
Wonkavision in the film takes objects, scales them down using the camera, and places a real miniature version of them on your TV. Just so we are all clear that can’t happen in the real world lol. That’s why in the pinball machine the camera on the game takes your picture, you hear the Wonkavision sounds, and you see it going to the large and mini LCD. That’s pretty cool.

Ummm... Ok?

Wow.

No response to this nonsense necessary. Thanks for the response and downvote.

#25 1 year ago

Toy Story may be Pat's worst game not just for JJP but ever. Dialed In was great, Wonka I thought kinda sucked, but Toy Story is awful.

I'm normally the last person to complain about LEDs and clown puke, but TS is obnoxious to look at and a bore to play.

#26 1 year ago

I love the sound package in Wonka. I know others have complained about it, but personally I think it's great. They've implemented all of the assets very well to achieve the overall atmosphere of the license in my opinion.

I particularly love the way they handled "the wondrous boat ride" song, playing the entire original version with Gene Wilder and using it to increase the tension within the game.

#27 1 year ago

I’ve owned Wonka and played TS4 on location. I much prefer Wonka and, honestly, I say that not loving Wonka. I thought Wonka was good but nothing amazing.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/toy-story-4-vs-willy-wonka-clash-of-the-lmt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.