Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 3.38.36 PM (resized).png
ES (resized).png
#1 7 years ago

Is there anyone who has the ability to burn/create these for me and ship them? For a small fee, of course.

#2 7 years ago

BUMP. I'm specifically looking for this ROM update for Earthshaker:
http://tiltforums.com/t/updated-earthshaker-custom-competition-rom/1406

But I don't have a ROM reader or burner, and don't know what chips to use or anything like that.

#3 7 years ago

Small fee... The Eproms will be about $2 each, more with shipping. 27C256 eproms are what you need for U26 and U27. I would offer up what you are willing to pay for this. It shouldn't take more than 10 mins and cost any more than $15, including shipping. I can do it but don't have any 27C256 EPROMS. If you send me FOUR (two for each game), I will burn them and send them back to you for $20.

#4 7 years ago

Oh wow that seems pretty good. Except I would like the jackpot to not stop at 2.5 if you keep completing the billboard because it is kind of easy to increase it.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Small fee... The Eproms will be about $2 each, more with shipping. 27C256 eproms are what you need for U26 and U27. I would offer up what you are willing to pay for this. It shouldn't take more than 10 mins and cost any more than $15, including shipping. I can do it but don't have any 27C256 EPROMS. If you send me FOUR (two for each game), I will burn them and send them back to you for $20.

U26 is a 27C128 EPROM but you can use a 27C256 in a pinch if needed. Taxi only requires 1 EPROM to be changed, Earthshaker requires 2.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Depends on how nice their equipment is. My rom burner is an el cheapo that gets recommended on here. Often times I can spend an hour or two burning a full set of roms for a new machine. Blasted thing is unreliable as all get out, but not very often needing to burn roms so hard to justify the replacement.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

U26 is a 27C128 EPROM but you can use a 27C256 in a pinch if needed. Taxi only requires 1 EPROM to be changed, Earthshaker requires 2.

The Earthshaker manual indicates that both EPROMS for U26 and U27 are 27C256 in size. Didn't check Taxi.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Depends on how nice their equipment is. My rom burner is an el cheapo that gets recommended on here. Often times I can spend an hour or two burning a full set of roms for a new machine. Blasted thing is unreliable as all get out, but not very often needing to burn roms so hard to justify the replacement.

I do not get many failures when actually burning that are the fault of the device or adapter itself. I would say 2 or 3 out of 1000.

Sometimes a leg on the EPROM is just bent a little...

However, I DO OFTEN often get failures when burning on to old erased EPROMS. Sometimes you just can't reuse them because they have internally failed.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

The Earthshaker manual indicates that both EPROMS for U26 and U27 are 27C256 in size.

Would this be an equivalent ROM to the 27C256 that's required?

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Atmel/AT27C256R-70PU/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvKaIdSMCzQp7MEooDLcIyg1qHf3C4GXrQ%3d

I'm thinking of testing the waters and trying this out myself.

#10 7 years ago

That Atmel "EPROM" is not erasable. It's a one time write device. Not a true EPROM, it's a one time PROM.

I know that my burner is limited to programming these types of IC's. I would recommend an EPROM or an EEPROM (electronically erasable programable read only memory) if you are not looking to erase and reuse your existing EPROMS.

#11 7 years ago

I'm not an expert, but that looks like a one-time-write chip. Which is to say it might work, but you won't be able to re-use it for something else later, or if there's a problem, it has to go in the trash.

#12 7 years ago

Dang. What a pain. That's a bit misleading, but you're right (I should've read the datasheet first), one time programmable.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

I do not get many failures when actually burning that are the fault of the device or adapter itself. I would say 2 or 3 out of 1000.
Sometimes a leg on the EPROM is just bent a little...
However, I DO OFTEN often get failures when burning on to old erased EPROMS. Sometimes you just can't reuse them because they have internally failed.

Mine is most definitely the device. The drivers were not written for anything past Vista. Haven't used it on 10, but for 7 and 8 it causes fun times. Favorite is that the device will not actually read or write to the chip. No, instead it will go through all the motions and tell you that the chip is blank if doing a blank check. It will say the chip has the checksum of what you want to write to it after burning.

Restart the system and *if* it decides to work you will find the chip might be blank, might have things written to it, etc. Blasted thing is such a headache. I need to try it with 10 as I have two games that need updating.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

The Earthshaker manual indicates that both EPROMS for U26 and U27 are 27C256 in size. Didn't check Taxi.

Odd since the U26 file is only 16 kilobytes in size.

#17 7 years ago

Odd since the U26 file is only 16 kilobytes in size.

Looks like that leaves quite a bit of room for additional rules in the file, if someone had the experience and/or time to do so. That might be a fun project to add a wizard mode or deeper ruleset.

#18 7 years ago

Earthshaker manual shows a 27128 @ U26, same as Taxi...

ES (resized).pngES (resized).png

#19 7 years ago

Just double up 27128 images and you can use 27256. It is often done on WMS sys 11 era games.

copy /b image.128 + image.128 image.256

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPROM#EPROM_sizes_and_types

#20 7 years ago

It doesn't on page 2! Odd.

Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 3.38.36 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2016-09-28 at 3.38.36 PM (resized).png

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Just double up 27128 images and you can use 27256. It is often done on WMS sys 11 era games.
copy /b image.128 + image.128 image.256
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPROM#EPROM_sizes_and_types

Correct, hence my "you can use a 27C256 in a pinch if needed" comment. Thanks for elaborating on what I was alluding to though.

Quoted from snyper2099:

It doesn't on page 2! Odd.

Those inconsistent bastards! Thanks for pointing out the manual inconsistency. I wonder if it was a typo or if they had really planned to use a larger EPROM from the beginning?

#22 7 years ago

Correct, hence my "you can use a 27C256 in a pinch if needed" comment. Thanks for elaborating on what I was alluding to though.

Those inconsistent bastards! Thanks for pointing out the manual inconsistency. I wonder if it was a typo or if they had really planned to use a larger EPROM from the beginning?

sometimes later software revisions needs more ROM space.

For those playing at home the "C" eprom types (cmos tech right??) isnt required. Plain Jane 27256 is fine too. The 27C256 versions probably program different voltages and consume less power during operation.

#23 7 years ago

Thanks everyone! a pinsider has put a new set of ROMs for me in the mail. Excited for new gameplay!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RRB Crafts

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 109.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tourney-roms-for-taxi-and-earthshaker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.