(Topic ID: 324640)

Tourney newbie question. Cradling.

By Bandit78

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3B32FBCF-D19B-4772-9821-44E1CBE43D5E.gif
    EFB1F1F2-9ED6-4943-97BB-DB1180DC61A8.gif
    Screen Shot 2022-10-29 at 1.31.26 AM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-29 at 1.31.34 AM (resized).png
    45e6e22f-3898-4dc3-9b58-86395757d557_text.gif
    D1DC8630-F5B5-49F9-8D40-44CC38DE4B43.gif
    There are 125 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Just about everyone but Stern does their flippers like WMS.

The flipper mechs are the same, but everything electronically behind them is different. The most obvious missing pieces are the optical flipper switches and dedicated flipper board.

#102 1 year ago

Opto flipper boards can go kick rocks.

#103 1 year ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

The flipper mechs are the same, but everything electronically behind them is different. The most obvious missing pieces are the optical flipper switches and dedicated flipper board.

That’s just a switch. You’re free to swap between the different types.

The dedicated flipper board also doesn’t really matter either when the modern driver board can replicate the important functions.

Also you absolutely can tap pass on single wound coils
    3B32FBCF-D19B-4772-9821-44E1CBE43D5E.gif3B32FBCF-D19B-4772-9821-44E1CBE43D5E.gif
    EFB1F1F2-9ED6-4943-97BB-DB1180DC61A8.gifEFB1F1F2-9ED6-4943-97BB-DB1180DC61A8.gif

#104 1 year ago

Well there you go. 99% is good enough for me to not worry about it! Plenty of great players and great techs on this site, no need to start a pissing contest.

#105 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Opto flipper boards can go kick rocks.

Not sure if serious. Do you prefer Stern flippers over Fliptronics games?

#106 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Also you absolutely can tap pass on single wound coils.

I didn't say it isn't possible, just that I don't do it. Is that you in the video?

Flipper preference is like art or music. There is no scientific formula for deciding which is best. It's a matter of preference. I prefer Fliptronics flippers.

#107 1 year ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Not sure if serious. Do you prefer Stern flippers over Fliptronics games?

I prefer physical cabinet switches to opto boards.

#108 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Still not sure if serious. Care to share why you prefer cabinet switches to optos? If you don't reply, I'll assume you weren't serious.

#109 1 year ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Still not sure if serious. Care to share why you prefer cabinet switches to optos? If you don't reply, I'll assume you weren't serious.

They are much easier to adjust and I’ve only ever had issues with opto boards.

IM BEING SERIOUS.

#110 1 year ago

I like leaf over opto too. What’s the benefit to opto switches vs leaf?

I like leaf because you can adjust the blade tension and how far you have to press the button in to activate the flipper (which is how you make tap passing easier - and yes that was me in the gif)

Optos just get dirty and messed up. Never had an issue with leaf switches

#111 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I actually agree with this. Much cheaper to replace, too...and you don't have to worry about chip shortages when you need one.

#112 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

I like leaf over opto too. What’s the benefit to opto switches vs leaf?
    I like leaf because you can adjust the blade tension and how far you have to press the button in to activate the flipper (which is how you make tap passing easier - and yes that was me in the gif)
    Optos just get dirty and messed up. Never had an issue with leaf switches

I guess an advantage might be that you have a more consistent feel between different machines. Ie. The same throw distance for the second level, same tension etc. Can't say I care much either way.. Just another fun difference between machines.

#113 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

IM BEING SERIOUS.

Cool. Both are pretty reliable in my experience. Opto boards are typically 'fixed' with a Q-tip and a little alcohol. When one occasionally fails, it's easy to troubleshoot by just swapping sides. I've replaced maybe three in the last twenty years. No moving parts, so not much to break. I've replaced more blade switches, but only because they go back farther and they tend to wear out after 30 or 40 years.

#114 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

...and yes that was me in the gif.

Very nice. Seriously. Mind if I ask roughly how old you are? Most older guys, including me, don't even try on newer games. I hope you're competing with those skills.

Also, you can adjust tension and trigger point on Fliptronics games. Many WPC games are missing one or more of the flipper springs. If missing the springs, replace and you can adjust. $5 each.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/01-14348.1

#115 1 year ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Very nice. Seriously. Mind if I ask roughly how old you are? Most older guys, including me, don't even try on newer games. I hope you're competing with those skills.
    Also, you can adjust tension and trigger point on Fliptronics games. Many WPC games are missing one or more of the flipper springs. If missing the springs, replace and you can adjust. $5 each.
    https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/01-14348.1

I’m 35 and love tap passing. I rather lose looking cool

#116 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

That’s just a switch. You’re free to swap between the different types.
    The dedicated flipper board also doesn’t really matter either when the modern driver board can replicate the important functions.
    Also you absolutely can tap pass on single wound coils
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

This is really interesting. Are you certain it is a stock set up? I've never seen (or heard) of anything like this.. I love tap passing on my older classics. No problem, and the feature technically checks out.. But have never seen this with a data east or any later pwm flipper. The lightest touch is a full flip.

#117 1 year ago

Dual wound flipper coils tend to have the small winding wire break, seen it on all the coils in a JJP GnR, Pirates, also on MBr, and some others, as well as many older B/W games.

#118 1 year ago

I didn’t read all this aforementioned shit. Y’all too winded.

Simple solution:
    All tournaments should have Doodlebug. No cradling. And that Doodlebug should be played with a ceramic ball. It’s so much more fun and keeps the tournament from being an 18 hour ordeal. One of these days I’ll get everyone’s favorite Okie TD to see it this way (you know who you are!)

#119 1 year ago
    Quoted from koji:

This is really interesting. Are you certain it is a stock set up? I've never seen (or heard) of anything like this.. I love tap passing on my older classics. No problem, and the feature technically checks out.. But have never seen this with a data east or any later pwm flipper. The lightest touch is a full flip.

here's an example on lord of the rings.

#120 1 year ago
    Quoted from ryanbrooks:

I didn’t read all this aforementioned shit. Y’all too winded.

Then why on Earth would we read your shit? (Apart from the first line obviously).

#121 1 year ago
    Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

Then why on Earth would we read your shit? (Apart from the first line obviously).

touche

#122 1 year ago
    Quoted from koji:

That’s why leaf switches are better than opto. You can dial in the sensitivity to your preference. I can lightly graze the button for a tap pass or flip like normal.

#123 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

That’s why leaf switches are better than opto. You can dial in the sensitivity to your preference. I can lightly graze the button for a tap pass or flip like normal.

This is what I'm having trouble with.

For a classic machine, the voltage goes through the flipper leafs, if you have contact, such that there is a direct correlation that impacts your flipper coil.

In the case of a Data East and later PWM type flipper circuit, the flipper button leaf is just a on/off so far as the machine is concerned. The only variable would be the duration of the switch closure. Technically this should be possible with optical as well... although perhaps the fliptronics board does not facilitate such a case.

Anyway, it's good to know it is possible on PWM. I'm thinking most of the machines I encounter support post transfer which is generally going to be a lot safer.. all-be-it, much less cool looking.

#124 1 year ago

You can do it with dual winding too. Just change to leaf switches

It’s hard to find the sweet spot of briefly activating on an opto because you have to press the button in part way to get it to do anything. Make the flipper button hair sensitive, and you can tap pass. Much easier with leaf switches than stock opto switches

#125 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

You can do it with dual winding too. Just change to leaf switches
    It’s hard to find the sweet spot of briefly activating on an opto because you have to press the button in part way to get it to do anything. Make the flipper button hair sensitive, and you can tap pass. Much easier with leaf switches than stock opto switches

I hate when I go up to a game where the flippers are whisper sensitive. I like to rest my fingers on the buttons and that isn't possible in those cases. But, you gotta deal with how the games are set in the tournament.

Also, I prefer leafs to optos, as well.

There are 125 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tourney-newbie-question-cradling/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.