Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by JoshODBrown
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

We had an interesting scenario in an event where a group of 4 were playing Total Nuclear Annihilation.

During Ball 1, Player 4s score display malfunctioned showing a number like 9B.360 or something to that effect and got stuck on that. We thought maybe it would correct itself at the end of ball (it did not). Player 1 starts their ball 2 and then their score display goes to all 8s (888888888). During the rest of the game Player 2 and 3 scores were Ok and reading fine. Essentially all players were not able to gauge their score against the known and unknown scores. Of course, by the end of the game we can see all of the scores displayed on the main LCD screen, and then the machine somehow corrects itself and the individual score displays for all of the players are magically showing the correct scores. Despite being able to see the scores at the end, there is no way to really know how close you are to the other player's scores, or how you would change your strategy to beat one of the other opponents during the rest of the game.

I was thinking if the score reels broke on an EM pinball machine during a game, theres really no way to know score at all, so could it be ruled as a major malfunction? What about TNA where it does actually show your scores at the end? Should we stop the game at the first sight of a score display issue and play a different game, or play it through and get the scores at the end? There doesn't seem to be anything in the IFPA rules that talk about the specific scenario.

Anybody with any experience in this situation?

#2 3 years ago

Having two display types makes it pretty unique. Are the scores shown during instant info? If so that's what I would use to track my score for that specific game.

#3 3 years ago

Since TNA does (?) show the scores on the LCD at the end (and maybe elsewhere) it seems not as severe a malfunction as on an EM. If an EM stops scoring the whole game is ruined

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Having two display types makes it pretty unique. Are the scores shown during instant info? If so that's what I would use to track my score for that specific game.

It doesn't appear that instant info shows anything like this, so you are completely in the dark about scores until the end. You can kind of guess based on how the player is playing what there score is probably around (if you are paying close attention), but in a close game you have no idea. You can, of course, put your head down and just focus on playing the best in your game and hope for the best in the end.

I am just curious if this is something that an experienced tournament director has maybe dealt with and can provide some advice. In our tournament, a few folks were just speculating what the ruling would be, but we really don't know. I am sort of leaning towards minor malfunction and pull the game from the next round. But the question of whether if players already playing felt a different game should be drawn is up in the air.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside