Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 84 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by bkerins
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Tournament play... A question of ethics”

• Cheat sheets/ strategy cards are fine 35 votes
      49%
    • Hell no, part of the skill is having a good memory 3 votes
      4%
    • Its ok as long as everyone has access to it 12 votes
      17%
    • Its only fine in between games/balls 21 votes
      30%

(71 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

atomic-wedgie-seinfeld.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sosage.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#40 11 years ago

There really is nothing "unethical" about this. The paper isn't making the shot for them. This isn't a puzzle challenge or a trivia game show. Knowing what to shoot for, when, is only half the fight.

You have notes and I am playing you? I say good on you. Youlh were more prepared for competitive play than I was.

#43 11 years ago
    Quoted from Jeremecium:

I'm convinced. It does fall in the area of coaching. So, if coaching is not allowed I can see notes being excluded, too.

I'm very much the opposite. Coaching in the sense of what is banned in pinball competition goes much further than anything notes on a scrap of paper provides. Someone standing there telling you not just what to shoot next, but giving encouragement, telling you how to adjust your game, your habits and mentality in the moment is *HUGE* compared to an emotionless sheet of paper you have to stop and look at mid-game.

Here's one way I look at this issue: This game has a lot of similarities to golf. There are the basics of the game: how to hit a ball, what clubs to use in certain situations, how to get yourself out of certain situations = all the various universal flipper/nudge skills. The beautiful green course laid out in front of you, like different pinball machines, can either be extremely familiar or completely alien. In competition, you aren't so much playing your opponent -- you're playing the course (AKA Table). You're competing in the sense of saying you can handle the course better than your opponent, in the moment. Your opponent pulls out a piece of paper with a map of the different holes, information on wind velocity, the slopes of the green, etc, etc, etc. A piece of paper containing information that is, in the age of the Internet mind you, widely available to everybody. Golf is not purely a competition of knowledge, and neither is pinball. Your refusal to mentally prepare for the courses you are playing and having the information readily available when you need it is something your opponent's shouldn't be penalized for. Golf, like Pinball, is not purely a competition of knowledge (like game shows or trivia). It's a competition of physical performance and strategy.

Unlike Pinball, however, Golf has caddies that coach the players anyways. In conclusion, Golf < Pinball. I think we can at least agree on that.

2 months later
    #80 10 years ago

Either decision is not an all-encompassing rule that applies to all things related. We can go tit-for-tat over the excuses for going one way or the other, but the bottom line we seem to be coming to is that it is a gray area at best. It's not going to devastate an event if everyone has personal rule sheets to bust out mid-ball as much as it's not going to completely ruin half the bracket's chances of winning if they are not allowed.

I'll allow it in my events, you can disallow it in yours. If someone is going to get completely riled up and start throwing verbal "*" on other player's wins/losses at an event, just because a tournament allows/disallows sheets mid-play: I encourage that person to stay TF home for the sake of everyone involved. Yah' know?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sosage.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tournament-play-a-question-of-ethics?tu=sosage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.