11 months ago

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by bluespin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 months ago

Have always wondered since I’ve never played in a tournament & have only seen games being played in videos. Which were the most common used games in tournaments, preferred for balanced scoring, and which games are almost never used do to unbalanced scoring, cheats ect....
    Also wondering is there a certain decade of game preferred like early 80’s SS, 90’s B/W’ or newer Stern. Are EM’s used at all?

#2 11 months ago

Of the tournaments I play in there are pretty much always newer Sterns around, but that is really because that is what the locations have. After that it is a mix of a lot of different eras and games.

#3 11 months ago

As long as they work and aren’t buggy most games will pop up from time to time.

Here’s the 20+ games we had at the recent NYCPC.

#4 11 months ago

Try to avoid games that you cannot derandomize features. If there’s random mystery awards that cannot be fixed by putting it in tournament mode, that’s not a very good choice for a tournament if you can help it.

Also some games have a progressive jackpot feature that grows and grows game to game until someone collects it. Not the greatest feature for a tournament imo, but sometimes you have to use what you have.

Most importantly if the game is reliable and doesn’t have bugs that cause the game to crash or not score correctly, then it’s probably fine for a tournament.

#5 11 months ago

Games usually not seen:

TOM (although the rom was recently hacked to avoid certain scoring exploits)
    BOP
    TOTAN
    -Machines where you can steal multiball or other objectives from other players are used... However, they are usually played as single player games. A lot of system 11 games fall in to this category.
    -Games where you can swap scores with other players.

Also, it is up to a tournament director whether to include a game or not include it. So, you will see games listed in this thread from time to time. There are just some games that can potentially create issues that most td's would rather avoid all together.

#6 11 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Thanks for the video!
    So each competitor has to play all 20 machines? Are points awarded to the highest scores of each game? BTW I thought there might have been some EM’’s in the vid

#7 11 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Thanks for the vid good stuff
    So points are awarded for highest scores on a machine? BTW I thought I saw some EMs lurking in there too

#8 11 months ago

The 20+ games were divided into specific events, they had classics, main and a womens if im not mistaken. Yes points were awarded based on score. Im sure classics had EMs

#9 11 months ago

Levi thanks for the video I was trying to respond but didn’t want to attach the video again was taking to long and couldn’t do so on my phone. Anyway thanks for the video good stuff ! So points are awarded for high scores on each game? BTW I thought I saw a couple of EMs lurking

#10 11 months ago
    Quoted from ZenTron:

The 20+ games were divided into specific events, they had classics, main and a womens if im not mistaken. Yes points were awarded based on score. Im sure classics had EMs

Ah I see makes sense, thanks for responding to the post I deleted lol

#11 11 months ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Try to avoid games that you cannot derandomize features. If there’s random mystery awards that cannot be fixed by putting it in tournament mode, that’s not a very good choice for a tournament if you can help it.
    Also some games have a progressive jackpot feature that grows and grows game to game until someone collects it. Not the greatest feature for a tournament imo, but sometimes you have to use what you have.
    Most importantly if the game is reliable and doesn’t have bugs that cause the game to crash or not score correctly, then it’s probably fine for a tournament.

Quoted from snyper2099:

Games usually not seen:
    TOM (although the rom was recently hacked to avoid certain scoring exploits)
    BOP
    TOTAN
    -Machines where you can steal multiball or other objectives from other players are used... However, they are usually played as single player games. A lot of system 11 games fall in to this category.
    -Games where you can swap scores with other players.
    Also, it is up to a tournament director whether to include a game or not include it. So, you will see games listed in this thread from time to time. There are just some games that can potentially create issues that most td's would rather avoid all together.

Good info so I guess there are some games to avoid which is what I had heard. Gotta play in one of these tournaments one of these days to get a better feel and learn more. 1st gotta play better!

#12 11 months ago

I would say yes, start playing in tournaments so you can get a feel for how they work and the games people like to use.

#13 11 months ago

If you have a bank of games to choose from it's good to have a mix of Modern, SS, & Ems.
    Lock stealing is fine by me, which of course now includes TNA.

#14 11 months ago

Rocky and Bullwinkle is a good example. There is a mystery award that doubles your score so this game is rarely seen in tournaments.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 100.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 229.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinballBulbs
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 64.00
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 30.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 129.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball USA
    $ 64.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Lermods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside