9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by LesManley
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

Really couldn't find a better topic to post this under - Looking for opinions on protocol for tournament play.

Two players on a 3-ball tournament game. Player one has not beat player two's score on player one's 3rd ball. Is it considered bad-form for player two to play thru their ball 3?

In most cases its meaningless - but if its an unfamiliar game I could use more practice on for play later in the tourney I might be inclined to play the last ball.

Thoughts?

Post edited by wizzardz: modify to "an unfamiliar game"

#2 9 years ago

Bad form, and quite rude.

EDIT: Cirmustanses both ways, but usually it's bad. Usually there are other people waiting to play the machine etc etc. Maybe if there's time, and it's the end of your match it might be ok. If it's liek the first or 3 games that's a huge no no. Rookie move.

#3 9 years ago

If I'm player one, and player two is having a great game, I'll tell him to play his last ball through (if he wants to).
    There may also be cases where scoring is used to determine tie-breakers, but that's fairly rare.

#4 9 years ago

If it's a game you are not really comfortable with and you think you may play it again later in the tournament play your ball. If it's a game that you are comfortable on just plunge it. Playing the 3rd ball in that situation should only be played if you are trying to learn the game or get more comfortable with it. If someone get's upset because I played the 3rd ball for that reason that's their problem.

Edit - I'll add that it would be polite to at least advise the other player what you are doing. For instance I'll normally say, "you mind if I play this last ball a bit? I'm not real familiar with the game and would like to learn more about it.? I've found two things happen at that point. One, is the other player has never said "no" (if they do I'll play it anyway) and after the game the other player has almost always given me tips for the game to help me learn. Doubt you see this much in "A" division's as most know all the games but seems to be a non-issue in the lower groups.

#5 9 years ago

Like Josh Sharpe has said " Act like you've been there before".

Now, in our league scoring, the last ball is often played because there are bonus points up for grabs. Example, player three's score is greater than the sum of player 1 and 2 score, then player 3 gets a bonus point.

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Doubt you see this much in "A" division's as most know all the games but seems to be a non-issue in the lower groups.

That's a good point

#7 9 years ago

I don't do it, but I don't care if other people do. I would consider it if it was truly an epic game on the cusp of reaching something I hadn't seen before - but only if it wasn't holding anything up. I'd "ask" permission of my opponent too.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

If it's a game you are not really comfortable with and you think you may play it again later in the tournament play your ball.

That's about the only good reason. And as mentioned, you should explain why you are playing it to the other player and anyone else watching. Going for a personal best score, GC score or loop champion are not good reasons to keep playing. That's disrespectful.

The unflipped third ball is a rare treat in pinball. You've vaquished your opponent with only two balls. I very much enjoy doing it on the rare occasion it happens. It baffles me when non-rookie guys keep playing.

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

It baffles me when non-rookie guys keep playing.

I'm not as calcualted as others regarding score so I may go over the score a bit till i get a break in the action. Although most people that know me just yell at me to stop.

#10 9 years ago

The majority of the time, I just plunge it. If I am having a killer game and there isn't anyone waiting on me, I'll play it. Case in point was my TOTAN game during our monthly tournament two months ago. I had player one beat on ball 2, but I was killing it and everyone wanted to see me finish it out. Ended up battling the genie twice and over 100 million without any extra balls. It did get a little long though, so I kinda stopped trying and let it drain when it didn't have to. 9.5 times out of 10 it doesn't matter to me, but in this case though it was fun to play it out.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tournament-last-ball-play and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.