6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 63 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by jonnyo
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Snow.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sosage.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 6 years ago

Most important to tournament directors: READ THE EVENT'S RULES!!!

Quoted from Shpwizard:

- Really follow the Pinball Etiquette section from Pinball 101. As silly and old-timey as it is, many people fit the stereotypes. I've met Jazz-Hands Jeff and Annoying Al. They also tend to appear when you least want them to, like during finals.

Definitely do this.

Quoted from Shpwizard:

- When someone is playing, don't touch their machine. At all. Did it once, and pretty sure it ruined my reputation with that player, especially when later I showed up at his own tournament and he was a complete Annoying Al to me. I messed up. Corrolary: apologies and forgiveness make the world go round.

Definitely do NOT do this. It's good that you brought up your experience, because some events (like mine) don't tolerate touching a machine in play at all and can get you DQ'd. Even if the ball drains and it is going into bonus, try to just resist the urge. If you touch it and it tilts out the previous player's bonus (it happens), that's a real problem. Just resist the urge to make contact with the machine until the DMD has officially activated your ball.

...and obviously. Don't touch or purposely try to disturb a player when they are playing a tournament game (unless it is a team tournament/they are on your team and coaching is allowed). Seems obvious, but there is always the possibility of someone new to events trying to be the life of the party by kicking someone's foot or yelling to get their attention. I played a CAX tournament one year and, in the middle of playing a tournament game, a convention goer (a stranger) literally came and slapped me on the shoulders like we were buddies, leaned over and tried to tell me how cool he thought Demolition Man is (a game I also had never played and was trying to figure out in only one 3-ball tournament game). I wanted to shove him through a wall.

Also, don't lean on a neighboring machine and leer at the playfield of a tournament game going on. It sounds overly sensitive and anal, but once you enter someone's peripheral vision being that close, it is super distracting. Plus, if they are a "dancer", you're in danger of getting nailed. This also goes for photography as well. I had someone innocently lean over a neighboring machine and try to take a flash photo of someone in their grand finals game...LOL!...talk about distracting.

2 months later
    #50 6 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

Here's a tournament tip: Always play to win.

...and NEVER tell your opponent how to play a game. Especially on Gold Wings.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 109.99
    £ 49.00
    Playfield - Other
    PinballToys
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Siegecraft Electronics
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 15.95
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 17.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 59.99
    Hardware
    Chroma Pinball
    $ 12.00
    Lighting - Led
    Pinball Haus
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 179.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 149.00
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 11.95
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    Hardware
    Pinball Haus
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sosage.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside