6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 63 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by jonnyo
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Snow.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 6 years ago

Potluck is a good option in a lot of cases, especially if you can do a potluck prize (I awarded a translite once) or award entries to people/couples who bring food. This will often get the pinball widows more involved as a side benefit.

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Hey look Ma, I got called out for something positive
    Thanks for the kind words. I really try to keep things running smoothly and on time. It is no easy feat and I understand how even well laid plans can easily get derailed.
    Running or helping run a tourney/event is a VERY difficult and time consuming undertaking for the people bringing games, setting them up, tweaking them, getting all logistics ready for the day of stuff, score keeping, etc...
    The worst thing to deal with as an event organizer is having ungrateful attendes get in your face over a relatively small issue (typically becuase they did not read the rules).
    My advice it to say thanks to all the guys that put these events on, I know it means a lot. Also, if you see someone getting heated and into it with an organizer do your best to chill them out and remind them that nobody is perfect and we are doing this on a volentary basis. I am not sure who it was, but I was extremely grateful for the guys that took care of the one agressive player at MRP last year. That one bad apple was luckily overcome by all the great people I met that had a blast and look forward to the next one.

Well said. If you had a good time, thank the organizers. It's by-players-for-players until that big Budweiser deal comes through.

I've been lucky. The vast majority of peeps have been super thankful and appreciative of my events. They make an effort to thank me, and I hate that I'm honestly too busy running the tournament at the time to give them my full attention. But every thank-you is honestly appreciated.

And the bad apples? Yeah, there are a few and it goes with the competitive territory.

#36 6 years ago

Do it, Dave.

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

* Respect the TILT!
    Pay close attention to how sensitive the tilt is on the machines. It can vary dramatically.
    Some people don't realize that TILT does different things on different machines. If you're playing in an EM tournament on ball 1 of 5, and the ball is going to drain and you manhandle the game to see how sensitive the tilt is, don't freak out when that's the *end of your game*. Some older EMs tilt and it's "game over" not "ball over."

Yes, and along the same lines, when playing those same EMs, be ready to be more aggressive on ball 5 because in most cases there's no end of ball bonus and you have nothing to lose. The exception is some EMs have very valuable outlanes.

#44 6 years ago

Here's a tournament tip: Always play to win. This seems obvious but I got a reminder today.

I was playing Rolling Stones against a decent player. Neither of us had played it before so it was a battle of basic strats.

He beat me decisively on game 1. Since it was an LE RS with the power ball, we'd agreed to play single player games. He played first on game 2 and got a bad score of about 4.5M. I just needed to not suck out to push it to game 3.

On my game, I started the main multi but didn't do much with it. Still I was at around 3.5M on ball 3. Nothing on the playfield seemed lit or ready. What I *should* have done was look at the rule card or go back to my practice strat, which was to start combos, and go from there. Like an idiot, I shot ramps, loops, etc. for nothing points, till the ball drained. Lost by 100k. Stupid.

If I was under pressure, or playing a tougher player, I would have looked harder for the points. But I was stupid: I figured I had a gimme win on game 2 because of his low score, and I relaxed.

The funny thing is, the game before was Wheel of Fortune. I took a bad beat on that one at the previous tourney, so even though I was playing someone I felt I outclassed, I never let up and just kept pounding the game for points. Got my best score ever on WOF.

#63 6 years ago
    Quoted from sosage:

...and NEVER tell your opponent how to play a game. Especially on Gold Wings.

If it makes you feel better, I made the same mistake on Playboy with the same result.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 7.95
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Wheezer
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 114.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    The MOD Couple
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 58.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Boards
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 14.95
    $ 17.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 14.00
    $ 69.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 99.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside