Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by jpolfer
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spraynard.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 10 years ago

I don't think you should use a transformation of any kind during in a tournament setting. It makes the scoring too mystical and players won't have a clue what's going on. Any benefits you gain would detract from the fun.

The ifpa system isn't much different than your "linear one", except the point scale is inverted (more points the better you do). Most people find this intuitive. The bonus system is cool too. Getting a top score on one game can help you out big time if you aren't playing as well on other games. It can also be devastating to your overall score if someone tops you. What fun!

If ties are your only problem, consider having a one ball playoff on a random game. Only do this when it matters, otherwise ties are okay. It's quick, it's easy and it's fun. Data transformation= not fun.

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from jpolfer:

That's not what I am planning on doing. If I'm confusing bkerins with my explanation (and considering that he essentially explains math for a living), then this is definitely not a good scoring scale for me to use at this time, and I'm going to abandon it for tonight. I'll use my lunch break to code up a macro for the IFPA scoring.

Pm me your email and I'll send you the ifpa excel template, with excel macros already written. No need to reinvent the wheel.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spraynard.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tournament-directrs-choosing-a-scoring-scale-for-round-robin?tu=spraynard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.