Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by jpolfer
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 10 years ago

I think it could work okay if the game scoring is fairly linear, such as on many modern Sterns.

Some game scores, like Fish Tales or Creature, take a giant jump if the player manages to get to super jackpots. The top player's score might by 5 - 10x the next player's because of that.

Personally, I'd never use natural log because any scoring system has to be simple and intuitive for the players. What I might do if ties are a problem is simply use them in just that case. But to me, a simpler method would be to just calculate the median or average, and then compare how players did versus those. So if player 1 performed against the median on four games as follows: +5%, -8%, +20%, +7%, then their overall performance was +23% vs the median. If that's better than someone they tied with, they win the tie-breaker.

#15 10 years ago

It's a common point allocation for Herb-style tournaments, nearly all of which are for IFPA (wppr) points. That's probably where it came from.

One thing I forgot to add is that if time permits and they'll not drag out too long, go ahead and do tie-breakers. Most players I've met would rather their fate be decided via actually playing it out vs a formula. That said, I understand where you're coming from as far as weekday events and wanting to keep the event to a reasonable length. I use a formula for PAGG for that reason.

Always remember that there are a lot of acceptable formats for IFPA that are very time-manageable, such as Pin Golf or time-limited games. I expected a lot of complaining with time-limited formats, but it turns out the players love them.

Another thing is if you use a format with a qual and final, it's likely the 'serious' players will make the final and everyone else will be able to leave at a more reasonable hour. The finalists tend to be more serious players and are willing to stay late for pinball, even if it costs them an hour of sleep.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tournament-directrs-choosing-a-scoring-scale-for-round-robin?tu=jonnyo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.