(Topic ID: 102545)

Tournament advise for PINTASTIC NEW ENGLAND 2015!

By dannunz

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by dannunz
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bkerins.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

What do you think of the way the pinball wizard arcade runs there tournaments? What is there system?

I don't like the Aurcade system, because it increases the relative importance of "big games" and a third party's big game can change the outcome between two others.

The Aurcade system makes the top score on a game 100 points, and the other scores are a percentage of the top score.

For example, let's say the high score on Monster Bash is 100 million, Bob has 80 million and Al has 40 million; then Bob has 80 points to Al's 40. Now Cayle comes and drops a billion; suddenly Bob has 8 points to Al's 4. This works heavily in Al's favor. Meanwhile now Cayle has 100 and nobody else has more than 10 on that game; those who can't top 100 million barely have a reason to play the game any further compared to others.

Similar logic shows that "exponential scoring" games become more important than "linear scoring" games under this system.

I highly recommend the PAPA scoring system with 100 for first, 90 for second, 85 for third, 84 for fourth, ..., 1 for 87th place. It has been used for 10+ years at the PAPA World Championship, players know it, and it's easy to explain.

#11 9 years ago

A second example, this from the last New England tournament. First day, some people have been playing Family Guy and the high is around 50 million. I put a 400 million on the game. The effect was that very few players even tried to play Family Guy from there on, because the relative value of points was suppressed. I had similar reactions to other players' big games -- it didn't make me want to step up and have a big game. Instead, it made me less likely to play that game, because I could be more efficient playing something else.

In the PAPA scoring format, a monster score is worth a lot, but also won't stifle the other players' competition on a machine. The positives that triadwatch posts about still occur: you still can see which pins you think you can better your score at, taking away points from a competitor. I feel there is also a positive feedback for novice players in a system that gives points by position instead of by score -- the novice player gets to say they finished 29th on a game, instead of saying they got 3% of the best player's score.

The PAPA scoring format is used at a large number of major events, including Pinball Expo, INDISC, California Extreme, and the NW Pinball Championships, all of whom independently chose this format. There are multiple software packages available to run the format.

One thing Aurcade used to have as a huge positive was the ability to enter scores on tablets and have instant updating, but this is now possible using Karl DeAngelo's "Drains Tournament Manager" software. This software also configures and runs final rounds, and has been used at many big events in the last two years to increase efficiency and save scorekeepers' sanity.

It's all good, and I'm glad for anyone who takes the time to organize an event, regardless of the scoring. It's a huge undertaking and deserves a big pile of thank you.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bkerins.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tournament-advise-for-pintastic-new-england-2015?tu=bkerins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.