• 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by fflint_18
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

mar 2015 phone 009.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ccotenj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Jacks Open, Atlantis are both hard for me to master consistently.....

Quoted from JBK:

Jacks Open, Target Alpha

i've had a jacks open for a couple years, and i haven't mastered it, that's for sure... out of 1000's of plays, i've only managed to hit 200k on it a couple of times... i don't beat it very often either...

Quoted from AlexF:

I thought Royal Guard was pretty tough. Just easy enough to beat once in awhile. Kept me pushing the start button for the few months I had it.

royal guard is hard... i've never rolled mine, and have only gotten close once... i rarely ever even beat it...

granted, i suck...

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

With Jack's Open there are tricks to keep the ball playing vertical, and you MUST avoid hitting the middle drops to avoid the bounce back sdtm. You have to slow things down on that game. I really like the change of pace on JO when playing a series of pins. I have no game plan with Atlantis, I just get lucky once in awhile I think.

part of the trick to jacks open is learning how to hit indirect (and angled) flipper shots... because that damned center queen WILL send it sdtm almost every time if hit anywhere near directly/square...

Quoted from Pinballprowess:

Yes, definitely a great game... one of the few I could brag what I paid for it too. Ha!
But for the gist and sake of this post, I think it is worth noting that how a game is set up greatly determines how tough it will be to beat (specifically, what level) Now, granted... I guess you could say that you could set up all the games at the same level... but I wanted to at least mention it.
I mean, you could take a great game like say, Sky Jump... and put it at a reasonably high incline in back to where you could NEVER beat it. Well, maybe not 'never' but you know what I mean.

i set most of my machines up hard... conservative post positions, with higher than recommended pitch... and higher than the "recommended" replay levels... the tradeoff is making the tilt real loose...

i've been told that setting up some games with a higher pitch will actually make them easier... i haven't come across this yet....

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinballprowess:

I haven't come across any either that I can remember except one. I think the general rule of thumb is... the steeper the incline the harder the game plays and vice versa.

Seems like the harder you play it, the harder it plays you, much like a Krynski game. But hey... here we go again drifting back into 60's games!!

yup, that's what my thumb says too... what is ironic is that when i first started in this, i set my games up "easy", because i didn't want them to play "mean" like in the old days... then odin brainwashed me into "hard is good", and my philosophy changed... i'm not letting him talk me into tight tilts though...

there's a good reason we keep drifting back to 60's games...

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Here is a hard game to beat. But I did it tonight. 1970 Baseball.
I had some guys waiting for a ride. Isn't that the case, when your having a great game and time is of the essence.
mar 2015 phone 009.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
10,610 points and 40 Home Runs. With it set to 3 balls.

yes... it is amazing how good a game i will have if i just push the button to kill a few minutes while waiting for swmbo to be ready...

i think there is a lesson there...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Vista, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ccotenj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/toughest-to-beat-70s-wedgeheads?tu=ccotenj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.