Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by fflint_18
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

mar 2015 phone 009.jpg

#1 4 years ago

What titles survived in your collection because they keep you coming back for one more game?

#2 4 years ago

My 1976 Gottlieb Sure Shot.

Ken

#3 4 years ago

I thought Royal Guard was pretty tough. Just easy enough to beat once in awhile. Kept me pushing the start button for the few months I had it.

The other one that I found maddening was Quick Draw. Not a wedge head but those drops are a sucker shot that would infuriate me. The only game I've ever owned that actually raised my blood pressure while I was playing.

#4 4 years ago

2001 with 20 drop targets, 2 inch flippers and a bloody big island smack bang in the middle. BASTARD!

#5 4 years ago

Jacks Open, Atlantis are both hard for me to master consistently.....

#7 4 years ago

Volley is rough when set up right

#8 4 years ago

I'm thinking about getting Spin Out. What do you guys think about that game?

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

4 legs and a tail Just a bad game.....
My 2c

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

My 1976 Gottlieb Sure Shot.
Ken

I haven't owned enough EMs to give a meaningful opinion, but from what experience I do have, this one would definitely be up there!

#11 4 years ago

Pin Up.

#12 4 years ago

Jacks Open, Target Alpha

#13 4 years ago

"POP-A-CARD" 2" Flippers

"LUCKY HAND" 3" Flippers

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Just purchased Spin Out and played about 20 games. It is a simple machine but not as easy as it looks but when you achieve 4 in a row & more pop, pop, pop. If like me you are a revhead from wayback you will like the machine.

#15 4 years ago

High Hand is the machine I keep coming back to. Those drains can be frustrating but one more and I've got it!!!!

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Jacks Open, Atlantis are both hard for me to master consistently.....

Quoted from JBK:

Jacks Open, Target Alpha

i've had a jacks open for a couple years, and i haven't mastered it, that's for sure... out of 1000's of plays, i've only managed to hit 200k on it a couple of times... i don't beat it very often either...

Quoted from AlexF:

I thought Royal Guard was pretty tough. Just easy enough to beat once in awhile. Kept me pushing the start button for the few months I had it.

royal guard is hard... i've never rolled mine, and have only gotten close once... i rarely ever even beat it...

granted, i suck...

#17 4 years ago

Jacks Open
Atlantis
Abra Ca Dabra

Drop a Card (sold)

#18 4 years ago

Capt Card.

One of those games that it's possible to get good games and then it totally hammers you! So far most addictive drop target game played.

Aquarius - tough game to beat.

#19 4 years ago

Atlantis or Centigrade 37

----------------------------------------------------

Wanted : Dead or Alive - In any condition
Gottlieb SPACE WALK
You find, you win : REWARD USD 500

http://www.facebook.com/kangourou.flipper?fref=ts

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

The other one that I found maddening was Quick Draw. Not a wedge head but those drops are a sucker shot that would infuriate me. The only game I've ever owned that actually raised my blood pressure while I was playing.

RG was released in 1968. But agreed, it can be hard. The slingshots, when the ball gets going side to side, are definite side drain makers.

Chris, I doubt you'll ever roll RG. I've only gotten it above 6000 points a few times. It's just not a game that has high enough scoring to allow it. Everything down low is 50 points max, except the side drains and middle drain when lit, but you can only get a max of 2500 points from those along with a lost ball.

If you score over 5000 on RG, you've had one hell of a game.

The 70s wedgie I've found the hardest is Jacks Open.

#21 4 years ago

With Jack's Open there are tricks to keep the ball playing vertical, and you MUST avoid hitting the middle drops to avoid the bounce back sdtm. You have to slow things down on that game. I really like the change of pace on JO when playing a series of pins. I have no game plan with Atlantis, I just get lucky once in awhile I think.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

RG was released in 1968.

Doh, my reading comprehension needs work. He asks for 70s Wedge heads and I give him one from the 60s and and a multi-player.

Ok, from the few I have owned I think Pop-A-Card was the toughest.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

i've had a jacks open for a couple years, and i haven't mastered it, that's for sure... out of 1000's of plays, i've only managed to hit 200k on it a couple of times... i don't beat it very often either...

royal guard is hard... i've never rolled mine, and have only gotten close once... i rarely ever even beat it...
granted, i suck...

Doesn't help that a lot of times you ricochet off a snap target with a shot and instantly drain down the side... and while it is scoring the (fifty points, I believe??) for the snap target, you get 'motored' for five-HUNDRED points on a lit outlane! What I will try to do when it does this, is shake the machine and try to keep the ball alive above the rollovers as long as I can and hope I can do it long enough for the score motor to stop turning.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Doh, my reading comprehension needs work. He asks for 70s Wedge heads and I give him one from the 60s and and a multi-player.
Ok, from the few I have owned I think Pop-A-Card was the toughest.

Don't feel bad. JBK listed Target Alpha.

I only have one 70s wedgehead and it's Pop-A-Card. Love the drops nestled up at the left and right side of the top bank, behind the pops, that you can't get with a direct shot from the flippers.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballprowess:

Doesn't help that a lot of times you ricochet off a snap target with a shot and instantly drain down the side... and while it is scoring the (fifty points, I believe??) for the snap target, you get 'motored' for five-HUNDRED points on a lit outlane! What I will try to do when it does this, is shake the machine and try to keep the ball alive above the rollovers as long as I can and hope I can do it long enough for the score motor to stop turning.

It can also happen when you hit a center snap target and it goes SDTM and you get "motored" there too. Can be extremely frustrating. The angles of the game are such that deflections off the targets can be real drain monsters.

I can get mine over the first two replay levels (3600 and 4200 on mine) I wouldn't say consistently, but a decent amount of time. Getting the third and fourth level is way tougher.

The fan target specials can result in big wins or big frustration. Because they alternate, it seems you've got the fan target lit on the same side the ball is on. It's a great game. I've had it several years now and it still gets a ton of play for me.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

It can also happen when you hit a center snap target and it goes SDTM and you get "motored" there too. Can be extremely frustrating. The angles of the game are such that deflections off the targets can be real drain monsters.
I can get mine over the first two replay levels (3600 and 4200 on mine) I wouldn't say consistently, but a decent amount of time. Getting the third and fourth level is way tougher.
The fan target specials can result in big wins or big frustration. Because they alternate, it seems you've got the fan target lit on the same side the ball is on. It's a great game. I've had it several years now and it still gets a ton of play for me.

Yes, definitely a great game... one of the few I could brag what I paid for it too. Ha!

But for the gist and sake of this post, I think it is worth noting that how a game is set up greatly determines how tough it will be to beat (specifically, what level) Now, granted... I guess you could say that you could set up all the games at the same level... but I wanted to at least mention it.

I mean, you could take a great game like say, Sky Jump... and put it at a reasonably high incline in back to where you could NEVER beat it. Well, maybe not 'never' but you know what I mean.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

With Jack's Open there are tricks to keep the ball playing vertical, and you MUST avoid hitting the middle drops to avoid the bounce back sdtm. You have to slow things down on that game. I really like the change of pace on JO when playing a series of pins. I have no game plan with Atlantis, I just get lucky once in awhile I think.

part of the trick to jacks open is learning how to hit indirect (and angled) flipper shots... because that damned center queen WILL send it sdtm almost every time if hit anywhere near directly/square...

Yes, definitely a great game... one of the few I could brag what I paid for it too. Ha!
But for the gist and sake of this post, I think it is worth noting that how a game is set up greatly determines how tough it will be to beat (specifically, what level) Now, granted... I guess you could say that you could set up all the games at the same level... but I wanted to at least mention it.
I mean, you could take a great game like say, Sky Jump... and put it at a reasonably high incline in back to where you could NEVER beat it. Well, maybe not 'never' but you know what I mean.

i set most of my machines up hard... conservative post positions, with higher than recommended pitch... and higher than the "recommended" replay levels... the tradeoff is making the tilt real loose...

i've been told that setting up some games with a higher pitch will actually make them easier... i haven't come across this yet....

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

part of the trick to jacks open is learning how to hit indirect (and angled) flipper shots... because that damned center queen WILL send it sdtm almost every time if hit anywhere near directly/square...

i set most of my machines up hard... conservative post positions, with higher than recommended pitch... and higher than the "recommended" replay levels... the tradeoff is making the tilt real loose...
i've been told that setting up some games with a higher pitch will actually make them easier... i haven't come across this yet....

I haven't come across any either that I can remember except one. I think the general rule of thumb is... the steeper the incline the harder the game plays and vice versa.

The one I was thinking of is Heat Wave. I recently shopped this game out and it seemed to take a lot longer than usual to set it up. I swear when I lowered it down, it didn't get 'any' easier (which is what I was trying to do) it didn't seem to get any easier AND.... would play like crap. Lower it down, raise it up, lower it back down, raise it up... aaaaaaaah!!

I finally got it to where I think it plays about the best but it took me FOREVER to do it! Heat Wave is really a good game as it was designed with a lot of defense. Seems like the harder you play it, the harder it plays you, much like a Krynski game. But hey... here we go again drifting back into 60's games!!

#29 4 years ago

Flying Carpet for me. If spelling the name with all the targets isn't enough, the alternating specials that are deadly drain shots are just satisfying. I think I only play for the high I get with the pop, pop, pop.

#30 4 years ago

I haven't come across any either that I can remember except one. I think the general rule of thumb is... the steeper the incline the harder the game plays and vice versa.

Seems like the harder you play it, the harder it plays you, much like a Krynski game. But hey... here we go again drifting back into 60's games!!

yup, that's what my thumb says too... what is ironic is that when i first started in this, i set my games up "easy", because i didn't want them to play "mean" like in the old days... then odin brainwashed me into "hard is good", and my philosophy changed... i'm not letting him talk me into tight tilts though...

there's a good reason we keep drifting back to 60's games...

#31 4 years ago

King Pin - I own it and it is a monster! A score over 30,000 is a good game.

#32 4 years ago

70's Wedgehead games. Meh! 99% of them are all drop targets. The only one that I like anymore is Sure Shot, because it doesn't have drop targets. Why don't 70's games do anything for me you ask? Well besides the drop targets, 3 inch flippers make the games feel like I am playing a game of kids whiffle ball, with the oversized yellow bat. 2 inch 60's flipper games are where it is at. Brutal outlanes, lots of nudging and "must make" skill shots are where it is at. It is the reason I have a Royal Guard on the way. I played Royal Guard at a friend's party on two occasions and swore up and down that I would sell my soul to the devil to own one. I should have it here next week in my collection. I highly anticipate it's arrival.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

2 inch 60's flipper games are where it is at.

I don't know man.

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I don't know man.

That's right!

Two inch flipper games... separate the men from the boys.

Hey! If you can handle 'diving boards'... you can handle this.

#35 4 years ago

Without a doubt "High Hand" and it's AAB counterpart "Capt. Card". They can really make you look silly.

#36 4 years ago

the two that have been top on my hard to walk away list
Volley and Flying carpet

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Without a doubt "High Hand" and it's AAB counterpart "Capt. Card". They can really make you look silly.

Yeah, I wish now I would have played High Hand a little more when it was on route.

Trouble was, Top Card was right next to it and was just too tempting to play because it was a lot easier to win free games. Beating High Hand would have probably been more gratifying in the end.

#38 4 years ago

For me it is my " High Hand " , It looks so easy 4 banks of 4 drop targets. But The out lanes are vicious, the way the ball comes off the top SDTM
I have mine set on 3 ball ( like most em's I own) and it will humble you may times .

Maybe it is just me, but this is my toughest 70's gott

Brian

#39 4 years ago

I love my Spinout, the roto target keeps the game challenging.

#40 4 years ago

That's right!
Two inch flipper games... separate the men from the boys.
Hey! If you can handle 'diving boards'... you can handle this.

Maybe you just can't pull a trigger that big. Lots of skill needed for the 3".

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

Maybe you just can't pull a trigger that big. Lots of skill needed for the 3".

Yes, well... even though it's true that I do prefer the two inch flipper games, it was just meant to be a "tongue-in-cheek" statement anyway.

Gotta remember.... I'm not giving up any of 'my' three inch flipper Gottliebs!

#42 4 years ago

Interesting comments on high hand - I have one here for a month or so that we got for a friend and I normally knock all the targets down on the first 2 balls and then it's kinda boring - need to make it steeper I guess.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from cpiel:

Interesting comments on high hand - I have one here for a month or so that we got for a friend and I normally knock all the targets down on the first 2 balls and then it's kinda boring - need to make it steeper I guess.

You need to trade it in for a Capt Card.

Marcus

#44 4 years ago

High Hand is half a game. Captain Card is the full game.

#45 4 years ago

Here is a hard game to beat. But I did it tonight. 1970 Baseball.
I had some guys waiting for a ride. Isn't that the case, when your having a great game and time is of the essence.
mar 2015 phone 009.jpg

10,610 points and 40 Home Runs. With it set to 3 balls.

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

70's Wedgehead games. Meh! 99% of them are all drop targets. The only one that I like anymore is Sure Shot, because it doesn't have drop targets. Why don't 70's games do anything for me you ask? Well besides the drop targets, 3 inch flippers make the games feel like I am playing a game of kids whiffle ball, with the oversized yellow bat. 2 inch 60's flipper games are where it is at. Brutal outlanes, lots of nudging and "must make" skill shots are where it is at. It is the reason I have a Royal Guard on the way. I played Royal Guard at a friend's party on two occasions and swore up and down that I would sell my soul to the devil to own one. I should have it here next week in my collection. I highly anticipate it's arrival.

Rat

Try a 1972 Gottlieb "POP-A-CARD". It is a very tough game and very addictive ... AND ... it is a 2" flipper pin. That pin will kick your ass!

Dan

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from AXrelay:

King Pin - I own it and it is a monster! A score over 30,000 is a good game.

I couldn't agree more. Those outlanes are brutal.

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Here is a hard game to beat. But I did it tonight. 1970 Baseball.
I had some guys waiting for a ride. Isn't that the case, when your having a great game and time is of the essence.
mar 2015 phone 009.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
10,610 points and 40 Home Runs. With it set to 3 balls.

yes... it is amazing how good a game i will have if i just push the button to kill a few minutes while waiting for swmbo to be ready...

i think there is a lesson there...

#49 4 years ago

A friend had a 1970 Williams Strike Zone. Although it is not a Wedge head. It is a brutal pin to play. Wide outlanes. The Up Post has a Down Post roll over just inches away from the Post. Replays were few and far between.

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Capt Card.
One of those games that it's possible to get good games and then it totally hammers you! So far most addictive drop target game played.
Aquarius - tough game to beat.

I'm with the Shapeshifter.

You can have a good game and think you've arrived and then suck for 10.

This is probably the number one game on my bucket list.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 399.95
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 67.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
€ 4.20
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 29.95
$ 36.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 30.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside