March 2005 045 (resized).jpg
March 2005 029 (resized).jpg
March 2005 119 (resized).jpg
March 2005 117 (resized).jpg
March 2005 153 (resized).jpg
March 2005 139 (resized).jpg
March 2005 144 (resized).jpg
March 2005 145 (resized).jpg

There are 110 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 6 years ago

What is the toughest or most challenging machine to beat in your collection? The hardest one to get special, beat the replay scores, is a drain monster, or just seems to kick your butt game after game?

#2 6 years ago

For me it's Tropic Isle. Love the art and the monkeys on the backglass, but wow this machine has my number. I've completed all the numbered rollovers plenty of times and have hit special on last ball. The most A-B-C-D target sequences in one game to advance a monkey has been two and my highest score to date is 1,547. This machine kicks my butt and at least 95% of my games last about a minute and score around 500 points and drain right down the wide middle.

#3 6 years ago

IMG_3731 (resized).JPGIMG_3731 (resized).JPG

#4 6 years ago

Getting all 15 targets down on Target Alpha/Solar City/El Dorado is rather challenging. Same foes for Joker Poker.

#5 6 years ago

Nice playfield! Restored?

#6 6 years ago

Gottlieb North Star. By a big margin. Trying to get all lights lit for the 300 point ball capture is so difficult.

Marcus

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Yoski:

Nice playfield! Restored?

Thanks! It's an original playfield only wear is around a couple of the pop bumpers

Quoted from Xerico:

Gottlieb North Star. By a big margin. Trying to get all lights lit for the 300 point ball capture is so difficult.
Marcus

I play North Star over a friends and at shows when it's there and have never been able to get every lights out. I've come close and had one top roll over left!

#8 6 years ago

love bug (doodle bug) such a tough game to keep the ball in play..and even more so getting the 'doodle bug' lit for 10k and keeping the ball in play.

biggest rush in pinball hands down.

#9 6 years ago

4 Queens by Bally.

#10 6 years ago

Capersville by Ted Zale (Bally)

First, Understand the ruleset
Second, Adjust play style to compensate
Third, Mastery of using "zipper flippers"

#11 6 years ago

Sweet Hearts, making all 13 rollovers is pretty tough. But yes Tropic Isle is a killer, no longer in my collection.

#12 6 years ago

Gottlieb Atlantis, still haven't rolled it. Got close a few weeks ago at 9500+ points. Lousy 5th ball stopped it from finally happening.

#13 6 years ago

Uff those 60s ballys can just be a bastard!

I've only owned 4 but Kings & Queens should suffice.

#14 6 years ago

Racking up all twelve balls on Gtb. Rack-A-Ball, Bowling Queen or Mibs.

#15 6 years ago

Canada Dry. Fast playing game.

John

john&canada dry (resized).jpgjohn&canada dry (resized).jpg

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Capersville by Ted Zale (Bally)
First, Understand the ruleset
Second, Adjust play style to compensate
Third, Mastery of using "zipper flippers"

sold my fireball as i think capersville is a far better game.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Canada Dry. Fast playing game.
John

Who's the young dude in that pic?

#18 6 years ago

Central Park is a tough player. Getting both specials lit is a task. The palms of my hands are always red and sore after 5 games of play.

CPmay8th06 025 (resized).jpgCPmay8th06 025 (resized).jpg

CPmay8th06 023 (resized).jpgCPmay8th06 023 (resized).jpg

CPmay8th06 027 (resized).jpgCPmay8th06 027 (resized).jpg

#19 6 years ago

I have to agree with Vic.I've had my Central Park now for almost 10 years.I can win free games on scoring but I think I've only ever had both specials lit twice.

Ted

#20 6 years ago

'Hi Dolly', right now, it is tough to get it over 1000 points. 1 in 12 games or so, to light the 1000 point lamp.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

Sweet Hearts, making all 13 rollovers is pretty tough. But yes Tropic Isle is a killer, no longer in my collection.

I need to play Sweet Hearts more. Only played it once at Allentown and it wasn't tuned up the best it could be. I love games with multiple specials for double, triple, and quadruple pops. (Buckaroo, Tropic Isle, and games with special in a lane that you can go up and back down)

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from illawarra92:

love bug (doodle bug) such a tough game to keep the ball in play..and even more so getting the 'doodle bug' lit for 10k and keeping the ball in play.

Doodle bug is fun and definitely challenging to keep the ball in play once you get the doodle bug moving!

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

Central Park is a tough player. Getting both specials lit is a task. The palms of my hands are always red and sore after 5 games of play.

Those are the best games that you have to shake! Ice Revue does that to me with the side outlanes, similar to Central Park, and trying to keep the pop bumpers going when they're lit for 10 points.

IMG_3426 (resized).JPGIMG_3426 (resized).JPG

#24 6 years ago

Bally Quarterback. The unique flipper configuration is a blast to play. You can nudge the ball back into play off the lower corner posts, but more often you end up getting screwed in some new and unexpected way. This is a great head-to-head game and also a great tournament game.

ATT_1483069017829_20161119_083745 (resized).jpgATT_1483069017829_20161119_083745 (resized).jpg

#25 6 years ago

Buckaroo. Central Park next hardest.

#26 6 years ago

Bowling Queen. Have never gotten all the balls.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Uff those 60s ballys can just be a bastard!

Grand Tour- Lighting all ten.

#28 6 years ago

I agree with John_I. Quarterback is one hard game to master. I also find 2001 very challenging.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Who's the young dude in that pic?

Yeah I know right !! LOL.......
That picture was taken in December 2002.

John

#30 6 years ago

My EM collection is small, but it's this tough one.
Hands down.
(Thanks alot Boilerman, for the one game that pleasantly gives me fits!).

TP- in row-c-web (resized).jpgTP- in row-c-web (resized).jpg

TP-pf down-c-web (resized).jpgTP-pf down-c-web (resized).jpg

#31 6 years ago

My Flip Flop is set up very fast and can be brutal.

#32 6 years ago

Hi Phillips88 +
Williams Fan-Tas-Tic: http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=820&picno=53460 --- the only pin I have that I do seldom make replays. I love it from my youth (seldom making replays). I bought mine having a Score-Card with (5 Balls) limits 71'000 and 86'000 points (about the same in my youth) --- I usually make some 30 to 40'000 points. I sometimes think of adding (new) the feature: A lost ball collects the Bonus (as the original logic is "Collecting Bonus ONLY when the ball lands in one of the three Eject-Holes (collecting eventually depending on the Roulette-Wheel)"). Greetings Rolf

#33 6 years ago

EXPRESSWAY Good luck trying to spell expressway even on five balls. Triple Strike is another tough game to score high on.

#34 6 years ago

Thank-you all for this post!! I have been wanting to start a EM collection,but didn't know where to start.Some of these pins I have seen at our local PAGG,but couldn't remember the names! This is actually a nice collection of killer Ems to start with!Go Pinside!!!

#35 6 years ago

Atlantis. Either it kills me, or I kill it.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from fingersport:

I agree with John_I. Quarterback is one hard game to master. I also find 2001 very challenging.

Good point Don. My 2001 is sitting not too far away from QB and it is definitely tough!

#37 6 years ago

In my lil collection, it's definitely royal guard. It's not often that I hit the snap targets to light all pop bumpers and targets. Once you do that, the fans alternate for special..it's still challenging to put up a decent score on this game..but that knock is loud and sweet!

IMG_1649 (resized).JPGIMG_1649 (resized).JPG

#38 6 years ago

Central Park. I have owned for 4 years and still no special/add a ball. Seemed a lot easier on pinball arcade (years ago).

#39 6 years ago

Check out this video of the my Royal Guard on the last day before i shipped it out. I had the game for 13 years in my collection and enjoyed immensely. I always thought it was an easy game to beat. In the video you can see in and around the second, third and forth games how i was and popping free games on special almost at will.Pay attention to my shoot rod shots for a free game in the letter C in the top arch rollovers. At the end of the video i looked at the credit wheel and there sat 15 free games which is the max you can win on a wedgehead. I fined tuned the game to perfection and maybe that gave me an advantage to winning so many replays?

#40 6 years ago

In my small collection, em or dmd, Drop A Card has my number. Win on points once in a while. But getting all the drops down, then hitting the special rollover, a rare event.

#41 6 years ago

Fireball. Just a bitch of a game.
The hardest single shot on any EM I ever had was the Special on Super Soccer. It's difficult to keep it lit, and almost impossible to hit while it is lit.

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

The palms of my hands are always red and sore after 5 games of play.

It looks like you left a lot of skin on that lock bar!

#43 6 years ago

Have to agree. Cycling through to get the 10k lit, start the Doodle Bug and keeping it going it so hard to do in one ball. Very fun.

Quoted from illawarra92:

#44 6 years ago

Without question, Flying Chariots for me. Those two outside lanes with the pop bumpers naturally funnel the ball straight down to the four outlanes and the valuable Mystery shot up the center lane can be equally as deadly. Still enjoy it though!

#45 6 years ago

Lovely Lucy - really really hard to light pop bumpers 3 times for specials.

Goggle, gobble, gobble.,....

#46 6 years ago

As previously mentioned, nearly impossible to get all 12 balls racked on Bowling Queen/Rack a Ball/Mibs.

#47 6 years ago

"Capt. Card" is downright vicious!

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from Toyguy:

Without question, Flying Chariots for me. Those two outside lanes with the pop bumpers naturally funnel the ball straight down to the four outlanes and the valuable Mystery shot up the center lane can be equally as deadly. Still enjoy it though!

Played one of these long ago at a show. Like the "Sunset" I once owned, keeping the ball in play for more than five seconds is nearly impossible.

#49 6 years ago

To win a free game or collect a special, I'm going to have to go with Pinky.

A game from 1950 that in it's very design was light years ahead of whatever else was available at the time. Very challenging but also very fun at the same time.

pinky (resized).jpgpinky (resized).jpg

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Very challenging but also very fun at the same time.

Jesus man WTF is that one? Can you get the ball back up to the top?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Blaine, TN
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball
Cabinet parts
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet parts
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Kansas City, MO
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 110 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/toughest-em-machine-in-you-collection and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.