• Buy Lord of the Rings 6 votes
    6%
  • Wait for next CGC remake announcement (Q1/Q2 2018) 8 votes
    7%
  • Wait for JJP pin #4 to be announced (Q4 2017) 3 votes
    3%
  • Buy No Good Gofers and roughly save $5,000 - $6,000 2 votes
    2%
  • Buy two really good pins (Theater of Magic & The Simpsons Pinball Party for example) 26 votes
    24%
  • Buy three to four decent pins 14 votes
    13%
  • Save your money and stuff your 401K 6 votes
    6%

(108 votes)

#1 6 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I hope all of you had a great Labor Day weekend. I recently sold my Jurassic Park last week and I am having a tough time figuring out what to replace it with. I'm not big into buying and selling pins, so I'd like to make my next title last at least a few years.

Before you answer my question by comment and/or poll, I ask you to read my brief background and description on what's important to me when purchasing a pin. In no particular order:

* My current collection - NBA Fastbreak and an AFMr LE (which is the game that got me into pinball back in 1995)
* I'm not a super serious player, but I am competitive, enjoy improving my skills and I like a semi-deep & challenging game.
* My brother (who shares the pinball bug with me) and family are important. I don't buy the games only for myself, but enjoy watching my Dad, wife and other friends & family walk up to the games with no experience and enjoy playing pinball.
* Budget - Up to $9,500

If I had choose right now, my choice would be WOZ. It's the one that gravitates to me most, has a deep rule set and has a friendly theme for family and friends. I believe it would also appeal to the novice player, even though it could seem complicated.

With that said, the two other pins at the top of my list would be Dialed In and LOTR. In my opinion, Dialed In is just as good as WOZ even though they are different games. I fear that DI might be a little more confusing for novice players like my wife and Dad. In the case of LOTR, this would be more for my brother since he LOVES the game. I'm not into the theme as much, but do enjoy playing it.

Thoughts?

I look forward to reading your suggestions, comments and opinions below. Thanks everyone!

#2 6 years ago

Here's my opinion. I just bought indiana jones 93 two months ago and unexpectedly sold my Simpsons pinball party and using the funds from that to purchase a road show.

No good gofers will bore you after the first game. I dont think it has good replay value. I was able to get to the wizard mode on ball one and dont even know how i got there. I think Dialed in is good but i personally think if you have a budget of $9500 i would recommend looking at some of the underrated titles. Road show, Fish tales, Judge dredd, Popeyes, Funhouse, Monopoly are a couple of amazing games less than 4k. You could potentially buy 3 titles and if you maintain them usually hold value up pretty well
Big ticket though i would go with MMR. Everyone loves MM even though who dont like pinball are attracted to MM

#3 6 years ago

NGG is great for family friends though because it's so simple & choatic. I'm also in favor of getting a couple/few pins instead.
Whatever you do i would sell Fastbreak to fund more machines.

#4 6 years ago

I just recently played Dialed In for the first time and LOVED it. I can see enough eye popping stuff in that game that it would really impress your friends, keep your interest, and be a show piece for years to come. That being said, I voted for buy 2 good pins. No matter how good the game is eventually you will tire of it, or it will wear on you. I am big into diversifying my collection so everything stays fresh.

#5 6 years ago

Several of the options you listed tempted me to vote for them, but ultimately I voted for you to buy WOZ. I own WOZ myself so can speak from first-hand knowledge. I doubt that it'll disappoint you and your family and friends. And if it does, I wager that you'd be able to sell it without too much delay or loss.

The idea of buying two pins sounds good in theory. But that said, and even though $9,500 is a generous budget, IMHO the $9,500 isn't enough to get two really good pins all in. For example, the two you listed, TOM and TSPP, aren't both obtainable in decent shape for $9,500.

I considered voting for one of the "wait" options, but I think you could get WOZ with confidence now, enjoy it, and then if a newly announced game seems super-attractive to you, sell one of your machines when the time comes to get the new one. (Bear in mind that any new machine announced between now and end of year won't be available immediately.)

All of the options you listed are good in some ways. I don't think you'll go wrong. Good luck!

#6 6 years ago

Yeah Dialed In. Or hobbit if you like deep games. Or LOTR

#7 6 years ago

Get one for your family- Congo or similar -easy to understand rules- game, and one for your demands. Decent Congo is maybe 2-2.5k. So it leaves 7k to more of your preference kind of machine. Plenty of choices in that category.

#8 6 years ago

Woz won't disappoint, and if you already like it, then get it. DI looks fun, and has rave reviews, but I haven't played it. 2 games sounds tempting, but I think if you don't get games with great rules, then 2 games can get stale. I personally would prefer a really great, deeper game than two mediocre games. Just my opinion.

Also, you can find a used woz for around$7k, and still have money for a decent game to fill space

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from AmpeRage:

Decent Congo is maybe 2-2.5k.

Sadly not anymore

#10 6 years ago

Wait for JJP pin #4 to be announced at Chicago Pinball Expo, which should be less than 40 days away!

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Wait for JJP pin #4 to be announced at Chicago Pinball Expo, which should be less than 40 days away!

I was about to pull the trigger on Woz after selling my STLE but decided to wait for next few announcements if they don't look appealing I'll get Woz. Also have TNA on order.

Lucky for me waiting is not a bad option so I can concentrate more on my other pins.

You don't have any bad choices, I think Woz is better than DI but have less time playing DI but both are great.

If you're looking for deep and fun pin Tspp is great and you can probably get Tspp and one other nice pin for $9500.

Not saying you can find it like that but in the last 18 months bought in good to great shape:

Tspp $4300
LotR $4800 (good deal)
TWD $4600
SM $5000

Two of those for $9500

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

If I had choose right now, my choice would be WOZ. It's the one that gravitates to me most, has a deep rule set and has a friendly theme for family and friends. I believe it would also appeal to the novice player, even though it could seem complicated.

I have been wanting WOZ for years. I have played it some . I do not have the skill personally to beat a game like WOZ . But if you want a collectible pinball that will last for years your instinctive thought for WOZ I think is spot on. Note : This is just one of your options but it is a good one I my follow as well . My issue is between STERN Starwars LE or WOZ LE Good luck , Peace , Rob

#13 6 years ago

I've been told next JJP will be Potc and next remake was CC.

#14 6 years ago

There are a lot of good choices with that kind of budget. I have a DI LE and love it, however, at our last few house parties I haven't seen people who aren't pinball players gravitate to it. My most popular pinball machine continues to be WH2O. It's very approachable yet, to get Vacation Planner is still harder to get than Armageddon on DI. Just something to maybe consider. I bought my WH2O for $2k back in 2007. Alas they have come up in value a little since then. Good Luck with your decision.

#15 6 years ago

How did AFMr get you into pinball in 1995?

#16 6 years ago

Of the games you listed I would pick WOZ for sure. It is my favorite game and the one that keeps me coming back for more. I play it more than any other game in my collection and I have some great games. It is an all-time classic and JJP has to do something amazing to top it.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

How did AFMr get you into pinball in 1995?

Not rocket science to answer your own question if you think about it for a millisecond .

Quoted from AFM95:

My current collection - NBA Fastbreak and an AFMr LE (which is the game that got me into pinball back in 1995)

He played the original AFM on location back in 1995 as I did as well . That fueled his passion for pinball . Now 22 years later he bought the remake . I bought mine new in 1996 and still have it .

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

Not rocket science to answer your own question if you think about it for a millisecond .

Please notice the use of emoticons such as winky faces often indicate sarcasm.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Please notice the use of emoticons such as winky faces often indicate sarcasm.

Seriously, Rob. If you had just thought about that for a millisecond

#20 6 years ago

I'm getting Woz, any newly announced pin will be around for a while also the rules are complete for Woz. I have been watching the Woz tutorials and it has some of the best and most interesting code/rules around. Plus I like the looks and the theme as well. When it first came out, was not a fan but it's grown on me.

#21 6 years ago

In this order. WOZ, LOTR, DI, remake either JJP OR CGC (depending on title / Design.), 401k.

#22 6 years ago

WOZ would scare me because a well known St. Louis Collector had so many problems. However, if I could have one that plays well without problems it would be amazing to have. If one based on your poll, I would love to have a LOTR. I wasn't really into it when I had a few chances to play, but it looks like one of the those pins that, placed in a home collection, could really keep you going back for more. However, I chose on the poll - buy two for the money because you can find two great pins for $9,500, and two are always better than one.

#23 6 years ago

New WOZ RR with 2.0 light system is pretty reliable. no real problems all the kinks have been worked out at the expense of many previous customers. WOZ is fun but can be slow at times. Dialed in is fast and most people enjoy the game from the very beginning. I like WOZ better but out of ten people 8 will say Dialed in. Both are great games. Although what about buying to used pros. Walking dead and Ghostbusters? Great games and usually 2 games are better then 1.

#24 6 years ago

Get lord of the rings , it's the best game ever!!!!

#25 6 years ago

I recently played DI for the first time and was really impressed. It seemed to have the right balance of everything and very premium feel. I felt like the game did a good job explaining what to shoot for and gameplay felt very engaging. Theme is kind of neutral and some of the phone elements like emoticons may wear thin quickly. It's a game I think you should get a lot of plays on before deciding to get one. I still like it a lot more than WOZ. Could never get into that one. Maybe it's the theme but gameplay just seems a little slow and boring at times.

Smart thing is probably buying two nice classic dmd games instead of one really expensive new pin. Problem is always finding the games you want in good condition and then dealing with typical issues of older games. You could even get a nice Stern pro and a good classic game for the same money as DI. Having more games means more people can play at once and games don't get old as fast.

#26 6 years ago

With a budget of $9,500 you really have a lot of options. I'd probably go for the three machines. I don't even think they are mediocre, just less expensive: TS, FT, and BSD.

#27 6 years ago

I want to thank everyone for their feedback and input. After lots of contemplation, I have decided to go with a WOZ. Knowing that I like the game a lot, I decided it was the safest play. Worst case scenario as one seller mentioned, I can always try to sell it down the road if needed.

Thanks again everyone!

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

I want to thank everyone for their feedback and input. After lots of contemplation, I have decided to go with a WOZ. Knowing that I like the game a lot, I decided it was the safest play. Worst case scenario as one seller mentioned, I can always try to sell it down the road if needed.
Thanks again everyone!

Great call, you won't regret it!

#29 6 years ago

Couple of great video tutorials

#30 6 years ago

I really would like to see what the next game in Chicago Coin's lineup will be. Though I'm a bit worried on if they will be able to handle any additional capacity. Still waiting on my AFMLE and getting worried that something is screwed up over there.

That said I am starting to slow my roll on NIB games. Would like to pick up a few more classic Williams and Bally games. Though I feel I've pretty much owned most of the games I have wanted. With the exception of Big Lewbowski, TOTAN, BBB, and Monster Bash.

I would love to play Total Annihilation, and Houdini and am thinking of visiting Pinball Expo to do so.

#31 6 years ago

Max out 401K then buy Aerosmith Pro

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Charles Town, WV
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Hilton Head Island, SC
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 7.50
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

7,275 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Olanta, PA
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tough-time-deciding-my-next-pin?hl=amperage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.