(Topic ID: 239270)

Touchups on playfield?

By mrbanjo

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Question is : I have touched up the playfield, now do I need to clear over the touchups before I wax?
    because wax seems an effect on wiping the paint away even a few days later
    I don't want to clear the whole playfield
    Should I use createx airbrush paint and use a hair dryer to set the paint and that will do it etc.?
    So what do I need to do, to wax the playfield, after touching it up?

#2 5 years ago

Maybe more information ? What game/playfield ? What kind of paint did you use ?

LTG : )

#3 5 years ago

Could also place mylar in spots, or even install a play field protector.

#4 5 years ago

Createx airbrush paint is waterbased, so protection is in order. Like Evan says partial mylar, or partial clear will protect the paint.
    And after that you can wax it

#5 5 years ago

You need to protect your touchup work or the ball will wear it off. Clearcoat or mylar is needed.

If you're going the clearcoat route, you need to clear the whole playfield. Spot clear will not work. It will soon lose adhesion at the edges. (Just like why body shops clear the whole hood, fender, whatever all the way to the edge of the part.)

If going the mylar route, apply a thin bit of carnuba wax to the playfield first so that the mylar can later be removed without lifting the paint.

#6 5 years ago

I have done partial clear coating with varethane. Kept the games for up to 5 years and they stood up well.
    I have used 2k auto clear but only on full playfields.
    The varethane is not as clear as the 2pac. But is quick, easy and basically odor free. If you sell the game and the new owner freaks out about the varethane, he can remove it using xyelene without ruining the playfield.
    Others mileage may vary

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

I have done partial clear coating with varethane. Kept the games for up to 5 years and they stood up well.
    I have used 2k auto clear but only on full playfields.
    The varethane is not as clear as the 2pac. But is quick, easy and basically odor free. If you sell the game and the new owner freaks out about the varethane, he can remove it using xyelene without ruining the playfield.
    Others mileage may vary

Varathane Poly?

#9 5 years ago

Yes varethane poly. Water base satin or semi gloss.
    I did an entire Trident playfield in varethane. Had that game for 10 years and likely played it in excess of 3000 games. It looked fabulous when I sold it. It had some dimpling but no more than my volcano that was cleared with 2pac.
    For small repairs I use the brush on. For larger repairs I use the spray.
    I have also used in my airbrush to seal touch ups on cabinets.

#10 5 years ago

Years ago, I got a beat firepower. I did touchups with standard "deco art" brand acrylics from A.C. Moore, and then "sealed" them in with the same brand, but used a semigloss clear enamel. It made for nearly seamless touchups, and I've been cleaning and waxing over those spots for years and haven't had a problem. Seems like it could be a good option for older playfields with only small areas that need to be addressed, however.

#11 5 years ago

Exactly.
    Not every small touch up or every machine requires a full blown 2pac clear coat job.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from Thor-NL:

Createx airbrush paint is waterbased, so protection is in order. Like Evan says partial mylar, or partial clear will protect the paint.
    And after that you can wax it

If a paint is water-based does not always mean that its not durable enough. Water is only the solvent in the mix. The strength comes from the binder. There are water based epoxies that are very powerfull. That being said ,craft paints won't last very long without protection. If you dont have 2 part clear or mylar, clear fingernail polish might do in a pinch

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/touchups-on-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.