8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by mystic
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

shuttlefinalbeforeclear.jpg
    shuttlerubontransfers.jpg
    chxpb.jpg
    shuttletouchup080511-3.jpg
    shuttletouchup080511-2.jpg
    shuttletouchup080511.jpg
    shuttledolphiglaze.jpg

#1 8 years ago

Okay, so I wasn't going to post any more pictures until the clearcoat was down, but I'm kind of impressed with myself.. little before and after. Still need to do the orange and numbers and put decals on the inserts, but other than that.. I might be about done. First pic before, last 3 after.

Think I could paint over the existing numbers, print out new numbers on clear sticker paper, stick it down, and clearcoat over it?

shuttledolphiglaze.jpg shuttletouchup080511.jpg shuttletouchup080511-2.jpg shuttletouchup080511-3.jpg

#2 8 years ago

Very good job. Color matching that blue is no easy task. Nice work around the inserts too.

Are you talking about the numbers on the inserts? I don't know why you would paint over them.

Or are you talking about numbers on the playfield? If you are, decals will be above the surface unlike the insert decals that would be flush with the surface. So when you clear coat it will take extra coats and sanding over the decal to get it smooth. So avoid the decals on the playfield if you can.

Great work.

#3 8 years ago

Numbers on the playfield. See how it's got 40/50/60 in white lettering above some of the top inserts in the third picture but the rest are either gone or missing? It should start at the bottom and each orange space has 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,20,30,40,50,60. Most are half or entirely missing. Hmmm.. plan b.. super small stencil?

#4 8 years ago

Oh, I see. Hmmm is right. If you can find a stencil that would be best. paint over it then stencil the numbers in. Art supply stores sometime have them.

If it were me I would silk screen them right onto the playfield but that is what I do for a living so it's no big deal to me but not an option for you. So I would try to find a stencil.

If not then small numbered decals will have to do. You may have to add a few extra coats to get it smooth around them.

#5 8 years ago

If you're going to put a good clear on it, you might try pressure transfer lettering after painting it. It should level out well with the clear, might be easier to work with (or rework if it doesn't look right) and may be neater than a stencil. Good transfer lettering will burnish down really flat once you like the position.

#6 8 years ago

Great job so far Mystic!
    How's my Chicken comin'!?!?

#7 8 years ago

You are doing a great job to this point, I think it will look awesome when finished

#8 8 years ago

score.. http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/helvetica-medium-rub-on-letters-48470/

Now to find the right size.

Thanks for the help everyone. Nimble - the chicken likes pinball.

chxpb.jpg

#9 8 years ago

That's the stuff...but you will need to find white lettering if you want to match whats there. I'm not sure how easy it will be to match the font (be sure to take close-up pics before painting), but you should be able to get close.

#10 8 years ago

Nicely done!! Looks so much better you should be proud of that!

#11 8 years ago

Wizzardz.. you're my hero. Transfers look AWESOME, almost too good. Finally laid down the first coat of clear tonight, these are before.

shuttlerubontransfers.jpg shuttlefinalbeforeclear.jpg

#12 8 years ago

- Very Nice

#13 8 years ago

Very impressive! Large pat on the back from here.

#14 8 years ago

Looking real good mystic.
    The numbers now just POP!

The clear will tie it all together!

Great work so far!!!

#15 8 years ago

I have to say that your work is some of the best I've seen when it comes to touch ups. I'm not blowing smoke here, you have done some amazing work. You've matched colors extremely well. Your lines are razor straight. Your circles are uniform. Bravo!

Any tips and pointers you can share would be greatly appreciated.

#16 8 years ago

very nice work. those transfer decals worked great. You saved a great pin. You should be proud.

#17 8 years ago

Great Restore Job! looks great!

#18 8 years ago

Honestly this is the first pin I've ever broken down or touched-up. I just got some good acrylics (luckily they were on sale), some good brushes and then freehanded most of it. I did use a circle template to draw guide lines for the round parts. I just had to keep telling myself, "It's not the Mona Lisa, that's good enough." Looking at that picture I can still see a bunch of flaws but I've just got to realize that it looks way better than it did before and it's meant to be a game that is played, not a picture on the wall. Thanks for all the kind words.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    $ 159.00
    $ 13.00
    Playfields
    Lermods
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 18.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 1,000.00
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Professor Pinball
    Lighting - Backbox
    Lermods
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 499.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Great American Pinball
    $ 14.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 21.00
    $ 117.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 239.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 43.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 29.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside