You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

a22 (resized).JPG
a21 (resized).JPG
a20 (resized).JPG
#1 5 years ago

I'm working on a System 1 Totem. When I acquired it, someone had cut off all of the board connectors and the wires to the small transformer. I didn't have the original transformer or board connectors so I had to reply on the schematics to replace all of the connectors and reconnect the small transformer. I now have the game working as expected with one exception, I have not yet connected the power for the 2nd gen. audio board. The schematics only show the gen. 1 sound board. The connectors and pin-out are different for the gen 2. I found a schematic online for a System 80 sound board that may be similar. Unfortunately, the schematic does not show the input voltage for the board. I see that the board uses a 7805 regulator, it appears that the input voltage could be AC or DC up to 35v. Here are my questions.

1. Does anyone know the input voltage for this board?
2. Can someone check to see which small transformer lug the wire that goes to the sound board fuse is connected to?
3. Can someone check to see which small transformer lug the wire that goes to pin 10 on the sound board connector is connected to?

Thanks.

#2 5 years ago

Here are some pics from my Totem. Maybe they will help.

a20 (resized).JPGa20 (resized).JPGa21 (resized).JPGa21 (resized).JPGa22 (resized).JPGa22 (resized).JPG
#3 5 years ago
Quoted from dpannell:

found a schematic online for a System 80 sound board that may be similar.

Don't use it. The system 80 sound board is not the same and the wiring is completely different for it. You will blow your board if you try to match the pinout for it.

#4 5 years ago

> 1. Does anyone know the input voltage for this board?
Input Voltage should be 11,5 AC

> 2. Can someone check to see which small transformer lug the wire that goes to the sound board fuse is connected to?
A7J1-9 goes to 'B-19325 Transformer' Pin 6 ( Colorcode 400 ) via a 1 AMP slow-blow fuse

> 3. Can someone check to see which small transformer lug the wire that goes to pin 10 on the sound board connector is connected to?
A7J1-10 goes to 'B-19325 Transformer' Pin 4 ( Colorcode 411 )

Have a look here for further information on System1 Gen2 Soundboard
http://retro.hansotten.nl/6502-sbc/6530-6532/gottlieb-multimode-sound-board/

#5 5 years ago

Thanks bontango for checking on those wires! The pictures provided by ripple(thank you ripple) showed the extra wires on those 2 lugs, but I was unsure of the wire colors. I will connect it up and give it a try later today. I really appreciate the great help everyone has provided.

Also, for anyone finding this topic in the future, the picture of the schematic earlier in this post is for the gen 1 soundboard. This is the only schematic you get with the "detailed schematics" if you order them from PBR. There is an additional smaller game specific manual that was sent to me by another user. This one has the gen 2 multi mode sound board #C-19389 schematic which also is shown at the link provided by bontango.

#6 5 years ago

Here's an update. I connected the wiring and I'm now seeing proper voltages. The voltages on the board are good as well so it has a good regulator. I was getting nothing but a loud hum so I did some further troubleshooting. I found that the voltage was low(2.7v) at Pin28 of the 6503. I changed the 7404 at U6 and now I have 5.1v at pin 28 and a cyclical humming sound and the prom gets real hot fast. From what I'm reading, I probably had a bad sound prom. Does anyone know where I can get another sound prom(# J-SND)? I have found only one source and it's $25. I'm hesitant to spend that much only to find this board may not be repairable. I was hoping to use an adapter like the 2716 game prom adapter sold by pinitech. I used that for my mpu and it works great. Apparently the sound prom is a different chip and there is no adapter.

#7 5 years ago

Final update. The sound board is now working 100%. The problem was the 7404N chip at U6. It must have been shorted as it was causing the 555 timer and game prom to heat up very fast. The game prom was fine after all. Thanks again to all who helped me get this basket-case Totem up and running.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ajax, ON
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gardner, MA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/totem-system-1-help-please and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.