9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by cro_pinman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider malkneil.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Hi Pin Folks,

Just joined and glad to be a part of the forums. I just picked up a Totem machine that is in great shape. I replaced a few bulbs, adjusted some of the leaf switches, etc. One thing that doesn't seem entirely clear to me is the scoring in certain situations. I'm wondering if my machine might have slight issues or things are operating as designed.

Couple questions:

(1) Every time you drain a ball in one of the side chutes should the bonus multiplier be advanced, or only when you've already gotten it up to at least 2x?

(2) Same question with the Vari-Target. Should it always increase the bonus when you hit the 3rd tier/band?

(3) The bonus multiplier seems to advance unexpectedly (in my mind) under the following test:
Start with no rollover chutes cleared.
Drop both (B) drop targets
Clear B rollover chute.
Hit either (C) drop targets.
Bonus multiplier scores.

If anyone has a Totem and can comment on any of the above that would be of great help.

Thanks!

#5 9 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm starting to think it's a temperature related thing. Was reading the Q&A section of the System1 article on PinRepair and he alludes to how a hot PROM can cause the game to do strange things. This seems to be very likely the cause on mine as it scores fine initially and then a few games in some of the goofiness starts (at this point the chip feels warm). He mentions installing a heat sink on the main game PROM. Anyone ever done this before and can you recommend a style of heat sink and what to use to bind it to the PROM?

Thanks!

#7 9 years ago

I would think that if the diodes in the switch-matrix had issues I would see the scoring abnormalities right when I power it on. But as I mentioned above it seems to be a function of time.

#9 9 years ago

Do you mean 5V going into the main PROM?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7.50
1,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ajax, ON
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gardner, MA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider malkneil.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/totem-scoring-explanation?tu=malkneil and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.