(Topic ID: 287164)

TOTAN.Loud noise.

By BentleyBear

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I installed new capacitors on the sound board because i had some interferrance in the sound and the DMD was showing some wavy lines so i was told that it would be a good thing to change out the capacitors.

I have double checked my work multiple times and all looks good but when i turn the game on it makes this incredible loud noise so something must be wrong.
Anyone knows what the problem could be ?

#2 3 years ago

Sounds like you might have a blown sound amp. Check the diode to see if the amp has blown.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from BentleyBear:

I installed new capacitors on the sound board because i had some interferrance in the sound and the DMD was showing some wavy lines so i was told that it would be a good thing to change out the capacitors.

The sound and DMC voltage sections of the board are two completely separate circuits that have only a single common point - the header for the transformer secondary. You should not conflate the two.

The DMC wavy line issue is usually fixed by replacing the 150uF @ 160V capacitors. These are C28 and C42. These are standard 7.5mm lead spacing capacitors.

The sound AC rectification filter capacitors you probably changed are C36 and C37. These are standard 10mm lead spacing radial snap-in capacitors. Removing these can be problematic as it is easy to pull the plated through hole when you remove the capacitor. It often leaves a "brown donut" on the capacitor.

Quoted from BentleyBear:

I have double checked my work multiple times and all looks good but when i turn the game on it makes this incredible loud noise so something must be wrong.

You should triple check your work by measuring continuity between the ground plane (reference) and the small ground area on the back side of the board. This small area is on the back of the board and is attached to the positive pad of C37. If you pull this plated through hole then everything connected to the ground area (and therefore the ground reference) is now "floating". The 79L05 is attached to this. The output of the 79L05 is therefore not correct and everything connected to the 79L05 output is now suspect. You probably blew U3 (the AD1851) in the process.

You may ask why I know this ...

#4 3 years ago

Solved.The problem was with the capacitor at C37.Sound is now perfect.
Once again,thanks for the help DumbAss
You certainly don't live up to your name

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 84.99
Boards
PinSound

$ 9.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 119.99
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/totanloud-noise and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.