Topic poll

“Totan vs TOM vs CV”

• Totan 30 votes
    26%
  • Tom 45 votes
    39%
  • Cv 39 votes
    34%

(Multiple choice - 114 votes by 111 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2015-08-16 09.43.02 (resized).jpg
2012-02-28 12.18.37 (resized).jpg
IMG_3483 (resized).JPG
IMG_3491 (resized).JPG
IMG_3496 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

Just wanted to see how you guys rate these titles from first to last, and give some reasons why. All very similar, but I wanted to see which you guys think is superior. Thanks.

#2 7 years ago

I've got two of them CV 10 years with a color DMD on the way and Totan 4 years.I got to play TOM really for the first time last week at the Sunshine Laundromat Brooklyn on my trip to the USA.I can't really separate them.I like all three themes and gameplay equally.
Couldn't pass up a visit to Modern Pinball also.Two very cool pinball places in NY.

IMG_3496 (resized).JPGIMG_3496 (resized).JPG

IMG_3491 (resized).JPGIMG_3491 (resized).JPG

IMG_3483 (resized).JPGIMG_3483 (resized).JPG

#4 7 years ago

TOTAN is the best looking. Has some very creative features. Shooting Stars ball save and Genie magnet pulling ball into the playfield are awesome. But it is too easy.

ToM is also great looking but not quite as good as TOTAN. It is also kind of an easy game but has more satisfying shots out of the three games.

CV is clunky.

ToM is the best of the three.

#5 7 years ago

I like all of them equally, but that's with very limited plays on each. I hear that TOTAN can become shallow for home use.

#6 7 years ago

I'd take TOM personally.
Totan may be the best looking/sounding game ever made, but the gameplay isn't that great.
CV is fun as an oddity, but I wouldn't want to own it even for 4k ish
TOM is a solid game. At some point it became the hip thing to rag on it and say it's too easy but I never had beef with it.

#7 7 years ago

Tom is best of all 3 but they are all works of art cv ringmaster kills tht one for me and I've never thought Totan theme was good jst meh.to each his own.

#8 7 years ago

I always liked CV the best of the three, but TOM is great too. TOTAN, I never got.

#9 7 years ago

TOTAN: Beautiful, great audio, cool features but way to repetitive. One of the worst WPC95 rulesets ever. But still, the artwork and sound are second to none.

CV: My favorite JPOP. Love the weirdness and clown vomit color scheme, just about everything is unique and different on this one. Not the best playing game, but it adds so much diversity to any collection. The Boom Balloon is one of my favorite features in pinball and the huge neon is very cool, especially in Neon Multiball.

ToM: Disastrous voice acting, it feels completely wrong and corny. It's missing any kind of cool, fun or at least ironic touch. It's a great layout full of nice ideas, though.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

ToM: Disastrous voice acting, it feels completely wrong and corny.

I'm always amazed when I hear this from people; I think the audio is spot on with TOM. I mean, the whole game is completely corny to me from the get go; lest we forget wtf a tiger saw is.

#11 7 years ago

I own TOTAN and TOM. Played CV many times.

Art Package:
TOTAN
CV
TOM

Game Play:
TOM
TOTAN
CV

IMO

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

oM: Disastrous voice acting, it feels completely wrong and corny. It's missing any kind of cool, fun or at least ironic touch.

Funny how peoples perceptions differ. In my opinion it's ironic and so cool that it send's shivers down my spine everytime i here it! "Magnificent!" Just awesome

#13 7 years ago

ART: First off i will start out by saying they are all works of art. If you want to split hairs
TOTAN
CV
TOM.

Game Play:
TOM - Flow is killer with very satisfying shots
TOTAN - Good Flow but will become stale in a small collection
CV - A bit clunky but very different layout. Me personally, I just could never get into CV

3 games that have very unique features. I think whatever theme you like better will be the better game for you. The rule set's are all lack luster

#14 7 years ago

I had a TOM for many years. I recently got a TOTAN after selling my previous one about 3 years ago. I have been playing the TOTAN for a month now and I have set up a personal rule. I never take a jewel (1 or 2) for make a wish. Just the misc. stuff. Now it is a challenge to reach the wizard mode which is a very good 2 part mode. I love the ball flow on TOM and like the magnets on both (but TOTAN's are better). The wizard mode on TOM is hardly different from any other mode and does not include a multi-ball. So for now, I prefer TOTAN but with a different ruleset for TOM it would be right there. I do not have enough plays on CV to offer any views.

#15 7 years ago

I've owned TOM and TOTAN.
TOTAN: worst pop bumper layout of all time, beautiful art
CV: worst video mode of all time, clunky, but unique
TOM: pretty decent all around and the winner of these 3 easily

#16 7 years ago

Wow, didn't expect Totan to be losing and cv in favor. I though Tom would take it. You guys are unpredictable haha.

#17 7 years ago

I've owned all 3 and only just recently sold CV. I enjoyed them all equally but found them too easy in home use so if you have a small collection you will rotate them out.
But that can be said about some modern games too.
CV fo me just because it was so unique. ToM with gold trim really is modern art.

2012-02-28 12.18.37 (resized).jpg2012-02-28 12.18.37 (resized).jpg

2015-08-16 09.43.02 (resized).jpg2015-08-16 09.43.02 (resized).jpg

#18 7 years ago

Own TOM And have owned Totan, love the look of CV but game play and flow goes to TOM, modes on Totan are all the same and I have never missed it.

#19 7 years ago

CV is tops here with me. It's a 2 flipper game, but it doesn't feel like a typical fan layout at all. The layout is very unique, and there's nothing else quite like it. It's also got two physical ball locks with the juggler saucers and the high wire ramp, which I think it pretty unusual. I personally think the Ringmaster toy is cool. Yeah, some of the audio he says is repetitive, but he is a cool 3 level toy. When he's down, he gives nice magnet action to the balls hitting the "WOW" targets, when he's at mid level and his head is exposed he's a cool bash toy, and when he's all the way up he exposes a fun subway shot for jackpots AND he throws the ball around in unpredictable ways if he's got the ball captured on his magnet when he raises to the full up position.

Last but not least, Cameron Silver's 2.0H game code is a masterpiece in my opinion. It offers 2 different 3-step wizard modes that you can randomize, so every time you get to the "Join The Circus" wizard mode, you never know which 3-step wizard mode you're going to get. The master accomplishment for me, is getting "Join The Circus" twice on the same game, and getting through BOTH wizard modes. That's tough. I've only done it once. If you own a CV and you don't don't have this 2.0H ROM installed, you need to install this pronto.

In my opinion, the 2 drawbacks to CV are: #1.) The Copy Cat video mode. Yeah.. that video mode is pretty weak, and if you're not in the mood for playing Simon Sez, well.. you just don't want to see it. The Copy Cat mode does give you an extra ball though, which is nice if you're trying to complete the 2 wizard modes noted previously. #2.) You don't see Neon Multiball enough. It's an awesome mode on par with AFM's Strobe Multiball, especially in a dark room! Why Neon Multiball doesn't pop up with the same frequency as Copy Cat, I'll never understand. If the majority of people who've played CV got to play Neon Multiball, I guarantee there would be more fans.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

CV is tops here with me. It's a 2 flipper game, but it doesn't feel like a typical fan layout at all. The layout is very unique, and there's nothing else quite like it. It's also got two physical ball locks with the juggler saucers and the high wire ramp, which I think it pretty unusual. I personally think the Ringmaster toy is cool. Yeah, some of the audio he says is repetitive, but he is a cool 3 level toy. When he's down, he gives nice magnet action to the balls hitting the "WOW" targets, when he's at mid level and his head is exposed he's a cool bash toy, and when he's all the way up he exposes a fun subway shot for jackpots AND he throws the ball around in unpredictable ways if he's got the ball captured on his magnet when he raises to the full up position.
Last but not least, Cameron Silver's 2.0H game code is a masterpiece in my opinion. It offers 2 different 3-step wizard modes that you can randomize, so every time you get to the "Join The Circus" wizard mode, you never know which 3-step wizard mode you're going to get. The master accomplishment for me, is getting "Join The Circus" twice on the same game, and getting through BOTH wizard modes. That's tough. I've only done it once. If you own a CV and you don't don't have this 2.0H ROM installed, you need to install this pronto.
In my opinion, the 2 drawbacks to CV are: #1.) The Copy Cat video mode. Yeah.. that video mode is pretty weak, and if you're not in the mood for playing Simon Sez, well.. you just don't want to see it. The Copy Cat mode does give you an extra ball though, which is nice if you're trying to complete the 2 wizard modes noted previously. #2.) You don't see Neon Multiball enough. It's an awesome mode on par with AFM's Strobe Multiball, especially in a dark room! Why Neon Multiball doesn't pop up with the same frequency as Copy Cat, I'll never understand. If the majority of people who've played CV got to play Neon Multiball, I guarantee there would be more fans.

Excellent review!!

#21 7 years ago

I own CV with the home use rom. I have played a lot of games of TOTAN and TOM.

For me (in order) it's as follows:

TOTAN - game play, toys, and flow -- it's just freaking insanely fun! The light show and sound are beautiful! Always makes me want to play another game - even when my wrists and hands are hurting from playing continuous games.

CV - Love the quirky art package and the totally RANDOM game play. Love the menagerie ball on the play field - it doesn't get much more random than that. Always leaves me wanting to play "just one more" game. This replaced my WOZ - no regrets.

TOM - Just Eh. No idea why - but could never get into TOM. TOM is like WOZ for me -- I wanted to love it -- I can appreciate what a beautiful game it is -- but just couldn't get into the game play -- I never wanted to play it until my hands hurt. If I were buying a "magic" game I would take "Pinball Magic" over TOM. That floating ball in PM is just awesome!

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

CV is tops here with me. It's a 2 flipper game, but it doesn't feel like a typical fan layout at all. The layout is very unique, and there's nothing else quite like it. It's also got two physical ball locks with the juggler saucers and the high wire ramp, which I think it pretty unusual. I personally think the Ringmaster toy is cool. Yeah, some of the audio he says is repetitive, but he is a cool 3 level toy. When he's down, he gives nice magnet action to the balls hitting the "WOW" targets, when he's at mid level and his head is exposed he's a cool bash toy, and when he's all the way up he exposes a fun subway shot for jackpots AND he throws the ball around in unpredictable ways if he's got the ball captured on his magnet when he raises to the full up position...

I agree about those home ROMS for CV. Required.

Your review just reminds me how JPop is always stealing ideas from his own games. So when you wrote about the Ringmaster being a 3 level toy Magnet / Bash / Subway I realize the trunk on ToM is a similar toy.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

Quoted from tamoore:

Excellent review!!

Absolutely great review!
I also feel the same way about its wizard modes, def trumps the likes of Totan and Tom. I also really enjoy the theme of cv, I like all the themes on these machines, but this one I feel works much better for a pin. It's executed well also for a zany circus theme, no doubt there.

I definitely would nab one of them if the price would ever go down on them.

#24 7 years ago

CV is the most beautiful but game play is deadly boring. You can only hit the Ring Master so many times before it gets old. ToM has a lot of toys but I don't like the layout, to cluttered and have the field is covered up but stuff.
I like the flow and art and sound of TOTAN. In my book clearly the best of the three. But to each its own.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from Yoski:

CV is the most beautiful but game play is deadly boring. You can only hit the Ring Master so many times before it gets old. ToM has a lot of toys but I don't like the layout, to cluttered and have the field is covered up but stuff.
I like the flow and art and sound of TOTAN. In my book clearly the best of the three. But to each its own.

TOTAN is beautiful. Art, music, dots. Innovative with a ramp diverting so many ways you forget there is only one. Magnet sucking the ball into the playfield to start multi-ball and shooting stars ball save grabbing it in a cage are mind blowing. But when you know what modes to skip and even grab 2 with the ruby it does get easy. I love the fact that even the out-lane switches are roll overs.

The reason I give ToM the nod over it is the feel of the shots. Inner orbits around the trunk with spinner and diverting ramps. But funny thing is if I had to get rid of one I think I would still keep TOTAN.

#26 7 years ago

Theater is the best of the bunch, easily. It's really a fun game. I guess expert players may tire of it but I've always thought it was a pretty cool game all around.

The other two are just too weird, I hate the outlanes and emphasis on luck on cv, and I'm not a big fan of similar luck-itis on totan.

I have a feeling popaduik isn't really a pinball player.

#27 7 years ago

I've owned TOM and TOTAN. Never cared for CV. I let TOM go, and still have TOTAN, but I consider TOM to be the better of the 2. If I could do it again, I'd get rid of TOTAN first, though it will likely be leaving soon anyway. TOM has better flow, more satisfying shots, better rules (except for wizard mode). I'd consider owning TOM again.

#28 7 years ago

To me it's CV>TOTAN>TOM. I think the uniqueness of the display location (especially with the ColorDMD LED) and features others have mentioned (dual physical locks, pop-up pop bumper, etc.) along with art and gameplay make CV the better of the three. It can be a little easy but it can then turn around and kick butt when setup tough, like the loop behind the RM shooting STDM when hit at high speed up the middle.

#29 7 years ago

I own all three. In my opinion you cant get any better than to have all three. Those three compliment each other and the rest of the collection. Its just so cool to play all three what a rush! Im a huge fan of JPOP and also enjoy SWEP & WCS.

#30 7 years ago

I agree with others on CV, I played it a couple of times and while its really nice looking and has cool features, the game play was blah. I own TOM, have had it for a while and its still a fun game, especially when you add the 1.4 rom and spinning saw to the game. I would go for TOM although if I could only have one left in the collection, I would keep NGG.

#31 7 years ago

Cv is getting some flak, but it's in the lead. Tom was a game that was a fav of mine, it kinda still is, but it is very shallow. I feel cv is the less shallow of the 3, with an excellent wizard mode.

#32 7 years ago

They're all good, but none of them are great tables if you play a lot. Casual players love these three, especially ToM. I personally like ToTAN best out of them. Still, I'd only put any of these in a larger collection because there are a bunch of much more interesting games imo.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 36.95
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hudson, WI
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11,300.00
Pinball Machine
Yellow River Pinball

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Danbury, WI
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/totan-vs-tom-vs-cv and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.