Topic poll

“What game would you rather own ?”

• Tales of the Arabian nights 59 votes
    48%
  • Iron man 63 votes
    52%

(122 votes)

#1 9 months ago

I'm considering unloading my totan and maybe looking to pick up a ironman . What game would you rather have and why?

#2 9 months ago

I sold my totan a little while ago and am picking up an iron man on Saturday. Totan was boring after a while but it is an absolutely beautiful pin.

#3 9 months ago

Two very different games for sure. I'd probably pick TOTAN. Or, keep totan and sell something else to get iron man!

#4 9 months ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

Two very different games for sure. I'd probably pick TOTAN. Or, keep totan and sell something else to get iron man!

Can't imagine selling anything else from my collection right now. Especially BOP 2.0 and BSD. Going to play ironman this weekend on location. Hopefully it will help me decide .

#5 9 months ago

Wildly different games. IM is sparse, brutal gameplay with short ball times. TOTAN is really gorgeous, fairly easy gameplay with long ball times. The "rules" couldn't be more different.

Actually sold my TOTAN today after 5 years...just couldn't justify keeping it in the lineup as eye candy.

My advice: if you no longer enjoy playing TOTAN, switch it up!

snaroff

#6 9 months ago

Why do you want to sell totan?

What led you to consider iron man as a replacement?

#7 9 months ago

I own both. Iron Man by a mile. The best ass-kicking you’ll ever get. The magnet you’ll love to hate. The wizard mode you’ll never reach, unless your name is Karl DeAngelo.

I’ve played my TOTAN twice in the last two years, when someone picked it for league. Boring eye candy. Its days are numbered around here.

#8 9 months ago

Totan. Almost entirely due to the art. A Totan in nice shape is a beauty.

I never really got the draw of Iron Man. It feels kind of stripped down and if I want stripped down and fast I would go with a F-14 Tomcat.

#9 9 months ago

They are so different it’s hard to compare. Follow your heart; you’ll be able to get TOTAN again if you want down the road.

#10 8 months ago

TOTAN is a snoozefest. IM all the way for ball busting in your face action!

#11 8 months ago
Quoted from Prefect:

Totan. Almost entirely due to the art. A Totan in nice shape is a beauty.
I never really got the draw of Iron Man. It feels kind of stripped down and if I want stripped down and fast I would go with a F-14 Tomcat.

I sold an F-14, even though I’m a huge Steve Ritchie fan. I still own my original Ironman which I bought NIB in 2010.

As far as Totan goes, yes, it’s a beautiful game and I love the sitar sounds. If you are after art and nice sounds, it’s a great game.

Ironman is brutal and loud. It will challenge you for years to come. I wouldn't sell my Ironman. So that’s my pick.

#12 8 months ago

IM no contest!
TOTAN is beautiful but that's all.
These machines are a lot different, one is very fun, brutal, fast with great and a lot of different callouts, Rock music and a great code, and the other is beautiful to look at but very boring to play, and the code sucks IMO

#13 8 months ago

I've owned both, and to me it's a no-brainer. TOTAN is a neat game, but it gets boring fast and is extremely shallow. IM is not only a much better game, but it's also a much better value now that they've come down in price.

#14 8 months ago

I had them both. Totan lasted 2 years and IM lasted 4 months. IM is fun and fast but hitting the Monger got old. Totan is more than looks. All the shots are fun and callouts and music are great. The lamp is so much fun to spin. The code is shallow which is a downer but everything else is top notch. I miss Totan and don't really miss IM. Now the price difference might make me try IM first .

#15 8 months ago

Totan is a gorgeous game. Gameplay is not that great esp. Compared to some of the b/w games of the same vintage. S/w bugs and exploits mean that this game as it stands will never be a true player.

IM while not that deep is matched well with the difficulty of gameplay. Between the two, I prefer this game. But I had one and traded it out for a TAF and was much happier with that game.

It sounds like you are not that charmed with either Totan or IM. Do you have other pinball options to consider?

#16 8 months ago

IM by a mile...make it 50 miles. TOTAN is pretty... it's also pretty boring.

IM is one of the best pins ever made. Anyone who says it's too sparse has not played enough IM!

Monger gets in the way? Everyone knows you need to set Monger to "hard" to avoid having him pop up every minute. Having Monger on hard actually makes IM a little easier since he doesn't get in the way so much.

#17 8 months ago

+70 millions
(Do or die with double scoring !)

#18 8 months ago

I didn't think the voting was going to be so close. A lot of people seem to dislike the gameplay of Totan.while I agree it's not the hardest game, it is fun!
Played ironman yesterday and while it is fast, it just didn't grab me like I thought It would.
I had a deal fall though for Totan today so maybe I'll hang on to it for now and put something else up for Sale. There maybe a Congo listed soon

#19 8 months ago

Iron Man is a really fast game. TOTAN is a pretty game but I do agree that it’s definitely not the best game. I’d just stick with keeping TOTAN for now.

#20 8 months ago

I have had the two, i sold the totan and kept the iron man.
But, i needed to tweak a little bit the iron man because in factory settings the playing time is too short.
The totan is nice but too easy.

#21 8 months ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

I didn't think the voting was going to be so close. A lot of people seem to dislike the gameplay of Totan.while I agree it's not the hardest game, it is fun!
Played ironman yesterday and while it is fast, it just didn't grab me like I thought It would.
I had a deal fall though for Totan today so maybe I'll hang on to it for now and put something else up for Sale. There maybe a Congo listed soon

IM takes time to appreciate. I did not like IM at first...at all. Said some pretty bad things about it early on. Now...I absolutely love it. You need to tweak the settings on IM an you need to play it a lot to really get it. There is no way someone can fully appreciate IM in a day or two.

#22 8 months ago
Quoted from Astropin:

IM takes time to appreciate. I did not like IM at first...at all. Said some pretty bad things about it early on. Now...I absolutely love it. You need to tweak the settings on IM an you need to play it a lot to really get it. There is no way someone can fully appreciate IM in a day or two.

I'm in this boat right now - played IM and thought well it was fast but was it fun. Not really. I guess I have to give it more time!

What exactly got that much better and why?

#23 8 months ago
Quoted from delt31:

I'm in this boat right now - played IM and thought well it was fast but was it fun. Not really. I guess I have to give it more time!
What exactly got that much better and why?

First.. set Monger to Hard. 2nd. Increase the pitch to 7 degrees. Both of those actually make IM a little easier.

The game is an ass kicker. I like to say it fights back...and usually wins. It has great sound and callouts.

It's the king of "one ball games". Meaning your great scores and accomplishments are usually achieved on one ball.

It's all about the setup. Trying to get 2x playfield scoring right before you set up the "Do or Die" center shot. I've actually never pulled that one off yet! Just getting to do or die (and making it) is hard enough...but to do it with 2x running is one of the ultimate setups in all of pinball.

Do or die is a timed shot...and a tight shot up the middle on a game that is just waiting to punish you for any missed shots.

No game gets your adrenaline pumping like IM when you are close to scoring big. And no game can crush your hopes and dreams faster.

Hit start again.

#24 8 months ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Same! Played it ages ago, did not get it and just wanted time on AFM... since then I’ve learnt a lot and now hold IM in very high regard. It embodies the spirit of Pinball for me. Even sold TWD LE before i’d even consider selling IMVE... but then TWD is a very poor theme for me.

#25 8 months ago

I vote iron Man I love the fast and hard gameplay. For some reason I never liked totan much I think the game is beautiful looking but I am not a fan of the game play.

#26 8 months ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Can't imagine selling anything else from my collection right now. Especially BOP 2.0 and BSD. Going to play ironman this weekend on location. Hopefully it will help me decide .

I've owned BSD and IM at the same time...brutal combination! Both are fast playing kick your ass kind of games. In a small collection, you may not be happy with this combination. They are both great games, but you might want to think about something not as brutal as IM.

4 months later
#27 4 months ago

So, OP, what did you do?

#28 4 months ago
Quoted from AJB4:

So, OP, what did you do?

I ended up selling my TOTAN, passed on a super nice IRON MAN and picked up a IRON MAIDEN pro!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oxnard, CA
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 115.00
Cabinet Parts
Merf's Pins
$ 495.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 170.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Mods
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 26.95
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 53.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Machine - For Sale
Concord, CA
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Boards
PinSound
$ 35.00
Electronics
Ewe22 Security PIC Chips
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 15.00
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside