EC29B51B-7FA1-4FDC-A93B-F5C2269D532D (resized).jpeg
59F11762-7EDE-4E58-BA81-A3765B6CEE2B (resized).jpeg
col11 (resized).png
col9 (resized).png
col10 (resized).png
col8 (resized).png
col7 (resized).png
col6 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cheeks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#207 5 years ago

If this ever comes to fruition, I really hope you consider mixing in the new modes with the old modes, rather than needing to beat all the old ones before encountering the new ones.

I have TOTAN and like the game alright, but none of the original modes are cool or all that fun. Most of the new modes look like they are. I'd hate to see new life breathed into this game, but still be forced to labor through ALL the original modes first, when you'd rather play the new ones. Finding a way to mix them together so it's more a pool of 14 that you pull from would intermix the old and the new and would allow the game to feel fresh from the start rather than a "chore" followed by some payoff.

As a possible compromise, even if they weren't all available from the beginning, maybe beating an original mode unlocks the new version. So if you beat cyclops-original first, then cyclops-new is available along with the other 6 original modes.

While BoP 2.0 has all new modes, I think Dutch made this same mistake. You have to beat all small wheel modes before you ever see the big wheel modes. Most people rarely see them, and thus playing the small wheel modes all of the time feels too repetitive.

#209 5 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Its not possible to incorporate the old modes from the ROM and the new modes coded from scratch. You can run the old modes with pinmame and the new modes from scratch. Unless he wants to manually code all of the old modes with the new modes, then it would work but would also be a ton of work and probably out of the scope of this project.

Didn't he already say he did this?

Quoted from noitbe1:

The original code has been rewritten. Now I'll start to work on the extension with:
- new sequences:

#211 5 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Some good ideas here on TOTAN but I have to disagree on BOP2.0. It makes you become a better player and its very challenging .

I almost left BoP out of the discussion; I knew I'd get disagreement. To me, mode-based games need as much variety as possible, so artificially forcing repetition (you have to play these before those) gets monotonous. To a greater degree, it's what I hate about Road Show.

At least with BoP the modes are more interesting than the original ones in TOTAN.

2 months later
#258 4 years ago

For those who have a ColorDMD or are willing to install a LCD screen, are these graphics in color (or do you plan to colorize if not)? I have a ColorDMD in my TOTAN now which looks great, and all your cool new animations would look amazing in color!

3 months later
#331 4 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

WIP
[quoted image][quoted image]

Oh Boy! I thought you weren't going to color this. If you've changed your mind -- MIND BLOWN!

I've been thinking of selling my TOTAN since I don't play it that often, and I'd prefer to cash out before it possibly gets re-made. I love the work you're doing, but I just don't think I could go back to an orange display since all my games have ColorDMD or newer LCD. If you colorize this game, I am 100% keeping it.

#336 4 years ago
Quoted from Toppers:

Here’s an idea!? I know you said you have to beat the original game in order to get to the next tales/modes. What if...
Like on stern Star Trek you have Nero 1, Nero 2, Nero 3. You could have each tale be 2 layers deep. Because you can select with the left flipper before hitting genie. So the great camel race would be round 1 and then if you are on top of the great camel race again and hit genie it will start the second mode you created. That way people can still experience all of your new work that you’ve done and give much more depth to the game up front instead of in the backend.

I love this idea! For someone like my wife (who loves TOTAN and is the real reason I still own the game) she will never get to see any of the new modes because she doesn't come close to beating the current game. I really wish there was some way to introduce the new content without needing to complete all the old content. Maybe there could be a system setting that lets the user toggle whether to keep the modes locked until originals are beaten vs. being able to access them in the early game. This would be a way to keep the original vision for the code, but also make the cool new stuff accessible to everyone if desired.

3 weeks later
#348 4 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

edit post 1 with color attract mode (WIP).

Color looks awesome. I cannot read that one font at all though. I have no idea what half of the screens say. I get the Arabic vibe you're going for, but it kills that vibe if you can't tell what the screens say. At first I thought it was set on another language.

#352 4 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

If this kills the vibes, my feeling is it might not be the only thing which might bugs you: lot of things will be new.
This project is personnal and closed and far from the original. I'm sorry but I'm not altruist enough to change this things since I like it and it ask several hours of unwanted work. Again... this thing is not commercial based.
Please see it like a homebrew thing as anyone is free to code his own P-ROC things (I don't come from the pinball world). No offense but I don't want to debate forever on my choice but I'm happy to share my progress. If you can't read something I can translate it for you. That's, for most part, the same stuff as it was from original.

I'm not trying to be critical or telling you how to do your project, so please don't take it that way. As someone who's very interested in this project, I'm just saying that I literally can't tell if the words below are English. Are they? Some other screens like high scores I can sort of make out, but the dots make this font extremely difficult to tell what they say. I haven't watched all the videos, so not sure how much screen reading is necessary in the heat of the game, and whether this is the font used for mode instructions, etc. Just an observation.

2019-09-05_13-52-51 (resized).png2019-09-05_13-52-51 (resized).png

1 week later
#366 4 years ago

Really great to see your progress. Do you know if this would work with the ColorDMD hardware? I already have one installed in ToTAN, so that would be ideal. I'm sure I could resell it to someone if it is incompatible.

1 year later
#534 3 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

Sinbad TM is done and tested.
The more I test the extension the more I’m thinking a modifying the 1.4 original software. New TM modes are challenging and I want them like that. Not impossible but it give satisfaction to acheive them.
I’m thinking of making the good old tales harder. Here are some idea I got to get the jewel for the 7 tales:
Forty theives: 3 ramps instead of one
Flying horse: no change
Scheherazade: at least 4 books opened instead of one
Cyclops: 4 orb hits instead of one
Camel race: start the race in 8th instead of fourth
Sinbad: kill 5 rocs with the bumpers. The bumpers might need to be reached several times then
Ali baba: no change
The idea is first : to make the old tales more difficult to make them more challenging and the second to better balance the game with the extension.

Love the idea of making some of the original modes more balanced, since some of them only took a couple shots. However, this makes it that much more difficult / unlikely to get to your new cool stuff.

To me: increasing the difficulty makes it even more important to allow access to the new modes before completing all of the old ones (not sure what your current thinking is on this). If you don't want all 14 available at once, the 7 new ones could be "level 2" on each of the jewels. So, initially all 7 original tales are assigned to their jewels. Then, if you beat cyclops, the cyclops jewel represents one of your new tales. This is how Stern Star Trek worked. You could either go for all 6 level 1 missions, or you could go up to 3 missions deep in a single category. This would add different strategies and keep all the tales fresh. It would also allow people to see old and some new tales without having to get super deep into the game.

5 months later
#578 3 years ago

What do those screens say? I've never really been able to read that font.

#580 3 years ago

Game looks like it's coming along nicely. I'm hoping I get to try it out some day. Exciting that you're doing the "Star Trek" approach. What a great idea, I wish I had thought of that.

If there was a setting to change the font, that would be cool. I really like the "LOOK" of the font you're using, it feels very in theme of the game. But I just can't read it half the time. Sometimes I can figure it out if I look at it long enough, but obviously you don't have that kind of time during a game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Boards
PinSound

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 119.99
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 84.99
$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 36.95
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
$ 9.95
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cheeks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/totan-software-rewrite-on-p-roc-twilight-melody?tu=cheeks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.