EC29B51B-7FA1-4FDC-A93B-F5C2269D532D (resized).jpeg
59F11762-7EDE-4E58-BA81-A3765B6CEE2B (resized).jpeg
col11 (resized).png
col9 (resized).png
col10 (resized).png
col8 (resized).png
col7 (resized).png
col6 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ashram56.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#676 2 years ago

OK, now I need to find a TOTAN (ironically, I actually was looking for one, never could find any)

Cheers from France (yes, another one). Are you on Flipjuke by any chance ?

3 months later
#747 1 year ago

I would be interested to know more about the SW infrastructure used in this project. I understand it started as a P-Roc based project, so used PyProcGame, but switched later on to support FAST boards, but I'm unclear if it uses MPF or something else ?

This is in the scope of a full homebrew project a friend is working on, we started working with MPF, but would welcome to investigate alternatives

As for HD upscaling, I wonder if some level of AI upscaling would not be useful to automate (although source material is super low resolution, but could be worth looking at):
https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2020/02/03/what-is-ai-upscaling/

#749 1 year ago
Quoted from clempo:

This started as pyprocgame using the P-ROC but it was switched to FAST at the last minute for licensing reasons. The developer of MPF wrote an adapter to redirect the P-ROC calls to the FAST hardware. Apparently it was just 100 lines of code.
If you don't want to write your game in YAML, I suggest you look at SkeletonGame instead of pyprocgame.

Thanks, so it actually use PyProcGame, but with an adapter layer to interface with FAST boards, it does not use MPF, correct ?

SkeletonGame only supports P-Roc from what I understand ?

1 week later
#762 1 year ago

Well to noitbe1 (ah, just realized where the alias came from, funny) defense, discussing game price with him is just like discussing Toy Story 4 machine price with the code developer of the game...

If there's anything to be discussed on pricing and technical implementation, I would think this thread here is probably the best place :
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mircoplayfields-at-texas-pinball-festival-

(although it slightly detailed at the end of the thread with discussions on Mirco playfield quality)

Or maybe create a new one, TOTAN2.0 owner club?

The interesting aspect of this thread is that you can discuss with the code author and make constructive suggestion, with a good chance he will at least respond

1 month later
#883 1 year ago
Quoted from cfh:

much better thank you!
also don't forget to work on the modes that go "dark". if you are playing in a dark room, turning all the GI light off for more than a moment probably is not a good idea. well unless you light everything by turning the flash lamps on! ha!

Although I don't have TOTAN nor the mod (but I do follow this thread out of interest), it's worth to note that I installed a blackout mod on my Star Trek Stern, which basically kills GI during Klingon multiball, to enhance the laser effect (there's a laser during this sequence). Unfortunately, I realized that this really affects gameplay, as with no GI at all anymore during this sequence, it makes tracking balls very hard if the room is semi dark... So I concur with that statement

#898 1 year ago

It has been mentioned in this thread on a few occasions that noitbe1 does not make money on this mod, or if he does, it's a token amount. Furthermore, noitbe1 is NOT selling the mod. Mirco is. @noiteb1 is the developer of the code, not the product manager, QA manager, etc. You could argue that the code is the most crucial part of the mod, to which I agree, but you have no information on the business agreement between the various parties involved.

If you are unhappy about the product and the go-to-market maturity, then the escalation path is through your seller, ie Mirco. He's the one who sold you the product, got the money, and therefore is liable for setting up proper QA and such.

On a sidenote, Funhouse 2.0 underwent massive QA testing before commercial release. BUT, as far as I understand, several of the beta testers actually bought the kit, they got it in advance as a "privilege" to be a beta tester. So it's a choice: buy it before it's mature, you end up being a beta tester, or buy it when it's mature. If you feel the product was advertised as mature when you bought it, then go back to Mirco, they're the one handling the commercial relationship.

For that matter, it happens that noitbe1 is public about his involvement in the project, and therefore is the one man band arranging end user report and relationship, code development, release management and such. Whereas in the case of FH2.0, when I was reading the thread (which I don't anymore), there was no direct discussion with the developers, or very little, and I bet there was a far more structured release process.

It's as if you were blaming a developer at game company for the game quality, when he's not in charge of what happens downstream. noitbe1 does not have a QA infrastructure. He has ONE machine, his machine for that matter, and cannot test all gameplay combination. Either he's coding, or he's playing the game to find bugs. Which option would you prefer ?

So while constructive criticism is a good thing, negative criticism such as "it's garbage" does not belong in this thread. You're not happy on the product, fine, either don't buy it, or if you did buy it, go ask for a refund to Mirco and see what they have to say about it.

#900 1 year ago
Quoted from cfh:

I largely agree with your post. But even if he’s not making any money, he is the developer. This thing has his name stamped on it. Money or no money somebody is selling it. And obviously they had to do that with his permission. Therefore regardless of how much he’s making or not making, this does fall on his shoulders. And I mean right on top of his shoulders, and pretty much nobody else’s. I guess we could all bitch to Mirco, but what point would that be? It’s still right back in his lap
I think his updates have really turned a corner here. He’s not quite there but we’re helping him. Admittedly we’re not doing any of the coding. but we’re testing the crap out of this thing and trying to give good solid commentary as to what needs to be done. I would like to see it at Funhouse2 quality assurance, I think everybody can agree that is the goal

The fact that his name is written on it does not mean he has to take all responsibility because it's a commercial product. Yes he has to code and fix bugs ultimately, but it does not mean that it entitles end user to bitch at him because they bought the mod. They did not buy it from him, they bought it from Mirco.

Let's assume for an instant the he sold the rights and the code to whoever was involved in this. In this case, responsibility for code development and bug fix is ON the new owner, not him. And your only route to get support would be through the seller, ie Mirco.

As going back to Mirco, my point is toward those who express negativity on this thread, such as "this is garbage". If they're not happy, they should either not buy the product, or go back to Mirco to get a refund if they did buy.

The end goal is indeed FH2.0 quality, let's keep this thread constructive, let's be civil in the way everyone interacts.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 36.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 119.99
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 84.99
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ashram56.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/totan-software-rewrite-on-p-roc-twilight-melody?tu=Ashram56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.