EC29B51B-7FA1-4FDC-A93B-F5C2269D532D (resized).jpeg
59F11762-7EDE-4E58-BA81-A3765B6CEE2B (resized).jpeg
col11 (resized).png
col9 (resized).png
col10 (resized).png
col8 (resized).png
col7 (resized).png
col6 (resized).png

There are 913 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 19.
#301 4 years ago

Regarding WM2 part 2: this mode will include the kingpin feature. I need to make the final testing to make sure everything’s ok.
If the fireball hit the players, then its power decrease (flippers pulse power).
How to know: special lightning effect for the fireball will go through all the playfield. Obviously, with no power left after too many fireballs hit, that’s the end of the ball.
More to come.

#302 4 years ago

So I was referring to your extended code portion. Are you still going to utilize the sound effect that occurs when you hit the lamp, certain targets, lock a ball, when playing the other new modes? Currently it sounds like the new modes just have music in the background and no other sounds. That’s what I was referring too waiter way this is still awesome! Hopefully that makes sense now.

Quoted from noitbe1:

Thanks for your message. For the music and sounds, everything is there: check post #5.
The original code has been 100% rewritten and is 100% the same as original. (That’s when I started this thread) I’ve edited the 1st post removed the history and intent on this.
This code is the base code AND the extension but i didn’t shared much on original code since all the owners knows it. I will share video of it once done with the extension so all the videos here are part this new extension.
For this project: difficult to say but basic answer is when it’s ready. Almost all the planned modes are there.

#303 4 years ago
Quoted from Toppers:

So I was referring to your extended code portion. Are you still going to utilize the sound effect that occurs when you hit the lamp, certain targets, lock a ball, when playing the other new modes? Currently it sounds like the new modes just have music in the background and no other sounds. That’s what I was referring too waiter way this is still awesome! Hopefully that makes sense now.

Yes, i’ll add more sounds. Everything is still in work in progress. Some modes were more « finished » than others. I’ve also made some changes since some videos.

#304 4 years ago

Also... Adding sounds is not too hard so I wanted to focus on gameplay on videos.
I’ve planned to also add new light effects.

#305 4 years ago

You amaze me with your skill sets! Thanks so much for making a great game even better! Can’t wait to try this out myself. Keep up the good work.

Quoted from noitbe1:

Also... Adding sounds is not too hard so I wanted to focus on gameplay on videos.
I’ve planned to also add new light effects.

#306 4 years ago
Quoted from Toppers:

You amaze me with your skill sets! Thanks so much for making a great game even better! Can’t wait to try this out myself. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for your message. I’ll try to share more things soon and also longplay. Totan is a great pin for sure and a piece of art...

#307 4 years ago

reminds you anything...?
Working on WM2 part 3: the last challenge, time to save the princess... more infos to come

WM3_info1 (resized).pngWM3_info1 (resized).pngWM3_info2 (resized).pngWM3_info2 (resized).png
#308 4 years ago

Wizard mode 3 is almost done. Gameplay and interactions is coded same as a new ending.
Still misses some sounds effects same as other modes.

We can call TOTAN twilight melody a Beta now.
Soon the big testing part will begin, at last!

#309 4 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

Wizard mode 3 is almost done. Gameplay and interactions is coded same as a new ending.
Still misses some sounds effects same as other modes.
We can call TOTAN twilight melody a Beta now.
Soon the big testing part will begin, at last!

Congrats. I can’t imagine the time spent. That’s great news.

#310 4 years ago

Attract mode has been updated with a new animation and a new tracking on the «Sultan’s Palace »

#311 4 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

Attract mode has been updated with a new animation and a new tracking on the «Sultan’s Palace »

May I suggest changing the fonts ? They appear hard to read . At least to me.

#312 4 years ago

I agree with mollyspub, great work, but the fonts are a little hard to read.

#313 4 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

May I suggest changing the fonts ? They appear hard to read . At least to me.

Font is like Arabic writing which is a beautifull and that’s its purpose and it’s part of this extension.
This has been here since my first post a year ago . It s a bit hard to read but readable. I personnaly don’t have issue with that maybe because I’m used to it. This is a personnal add to a B/W game and I’ve used it sereral times in the game. It gives an oriental taste to it.
This is not something I will change at this point (all mods are coded) and would not be an easy change if I wanted to.

#314 4 years ago

To follow a video showing how the flipper killing feature works (same as Capcom Kingpin) with the decrease of power.
It's not a sudden death but more likely a slow one...

In the video, I test the flipper pulse each time the player is hit by the genie (power decrease)
At the end there is almost no more pulse which make the drain really likely like a lifebar.

I've planned to implement this in the WM2 mode to add some challenge for the real finale.

#316 4 years ago

Here is the Wizard Mode 2, with all the steps: 1, 2 and 3: again this is the real final mode of this game.

Some corrections has been made since my last 2 videos and I add the step 3. The video is a bit dark (sorry) but as always it give an idea of atmosphere and gameplay. I still need to adjust the difficulty a bit and fix minor things.

I have to say that autolauncher is great for the 4 balls mutliball .
The Kingpin softly flipper's killing (Kingpin) is implemented and if too many fireballs hit the players... it kills the flipper power.

All the originaly planned modes are now coded. I'll now focus and debugging and making it buggless.
I don't say I'll not add new modes someday, we never know...
WM2_JINN (resized).pngWM2_JINN (resized).pngWM2_atheos (resized).pngWM2_atheos (resized).png

#318 4 years ago

here is another video of gameplay (a bit brighter)

Removed: I’ll redo a new one with code update soon

#319 4 years ago

After thought, I've modified the GI lightning on WM2 because I though it was too dark and add more effects on the GI.
My TOTAN is using mainly regular bulbs which doesn't help either.

For info, I'm using a small (great) board sold by applejuice: "WPC-95 GI Blackout Board"
This board add the possibility to control the backbox GI which is normally impossible to do (even with a P-ROC system)
that's why the backbox GI is turned off during gameplay here.
If one want to make it's own P-ROC project, it's a great (and cheap) tool to add effects on backbox.

here is a link to his site:
https://www.mypinballs.com/electronics/store.jsp

However, it's no use to get this board with a regular TOTAN. There is no GI effect to be turned off during gameplay (or really small one being darker) so the effect on the backbox light woun't be noticable.

#320 4 years ago

Wizard Mode 2 with code update:

#321 4 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

Wizard Mode 2 with code update:

Amazing, I need a TOTAN now...

#322 4 years ago

Color? Too much blood sweat pain and time not to color this fantastic work!
Talented man you are!

#323 4 years ago
Quoted from bladerunner:

Color? Too much blood sweat pain and time not to color this fantastic work!
Talented man you are!

Let’s never say never but... choice to be made from either regular LCD or color DMD first I think (both are possible though) and with 800 dmd and around 20000 frames I might need some help... Really tedious boring harrassing work to do with some frames to be done pixel by pixels.
Just remember that the dot aspect was for the DMD and when you switch to LCD you have an emulating screen. CGC it’s even beyond that because even the ROM is emulated. I’m sure I’m part of a minority who things that when you have your old mustang, you like to keep your old engine even with its issues and constraints. Sure that we could go even beyond that and even show HD graphics with no more Dots at all... but it was not CGC choice either.

Everything is possible, the time is limited and this has been already several hundreds hours maybe 4 digits already. I don’t count.
Having a 2.0 was my dream for this great pin. Really, I thought that it deserved it.

I didn’t realize that when I started this but anyone who wants to start his own P-ROC project needs to realize that there are a lot of road blocks on your way and it needs some time on your own to deal with it and need some passion about the project.

I want to take this opportunity to congratulate with a hat down all the homebrew projects. This one is far behind.

Again, this is a personal TOTAN 2.0 and I think any TOTAN lovers would have his own idea on how to create an extension. Before even working on it, I already though of around everything I’ve added. It was not, at first, thought to be shared but more to show what’s possible with the board.
Sharing this will need for me a minimum of quality but I thought afterwards it could be great if it was shared if there was enough interest and I think there is.

I still have some work to do on quality, rules and else and I ll continue sharing on that and also when I ll be ready to share it for any interest persons.

Last thing: P-ROC board is pretty expensive (around 400 dol) and this needs a computer to run too. This will be not a cheap extension. That’s also why I don’t focus on color. I don’t even own a LCD or a color DMD.

...and again we can call TOTAN TM a beta now.

#324 4 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

Let’s never say never but... choice to be made from either regular LCD or color DMD first I think (both are possible though) and with 800 dmd and around 20000 frames I might need some help... Really tedious boring harrassing work to do with some frames to be done pixel by pixels.
Just remember that the dot aspect was for the DMD and when you switch to LCD you have an emulating screen. CGC it’s even beyond that because even the ROM is emulated. I’m sure I’m part of a minority who things that when you have your old mustang, you like to keep your old engine even with its issues and constraints. Sure that we could go even beyond that and even show HD graphics with no more Dots at all... but it was not CGC choice either.
Everything is possible, the time is limited and this has been already several hundreds hours maybe 4 digits already. I don’t count.
Having a 2.0 was my dream for this great pin. Really, I thought that it deserved it.
I didn’t realize that when I started this but anyone who wants to start his own P-ROC project needs to realize that there are a lot of road blocks on your way and it needs some time on your own to deal with it and need some passion about the project.
I want to take this opportunity to congratulate with a hat down all the homebrew projects. This one is far behind.
Again, this is a personal TOTAN 2.0 and I think any TOTAN lovers would have his own idea on how to create an extension. Before even working on it, I already though of around everything I’ve added. It was not, at first, thought to be shared but more to show what’s possible with the board.
Sharing this will need for me a minimum of quality but I thought afterwards it could be great if it was shared if there was enough interest and I think there is.
I still have some work to do on quality, rules and else and I ll continue sharing on that and also when I ll be ready to share it for any interest persons.
Last thing: P-ROC board is pretty expensive (around 400 dol) and this needs a computer to run too. This will be not a cheap extension. That’s also why I don’t focus on color. I don’t even own a LCD or a color DMD.
...and again we can call TOTAN TM a beta now.

How do we get to test the beta?

#325 4 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

How do we get to test the beta?

Before sharing anything, I have my own tests to do. This has ‘only’ one year old and short comparing to other projets. I was happy to share my progress but there are still works to do on code and rules and I want to fix that first. The testing for me would be more on the long run and some stuff I didn’t predict could occur.

#327 4 years ago

You rock!!

#328 4 years ago

&don’t stop yet. You will never start again and I think you really want to polish it even further.
Thanks for your creativity! Looking forward playing it!
Cheers Peter

#329 4 years ago

WIP
2 (resized).png2 (resized).png

3 (resized).png3 (resized).png
#330 4 years ago

alternate day and night during gameplay:

4 (resized).png4 (resized).png
#331 4 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

WIP
[quoted image][quoted image]

Oh Boy! I thought you weren't going to color this. If you've changed your mind -- MIND BLOWN!

I've been thinking of selling my TOTAN since I don't play it that often, and I'd prefer to cash out before it possibly gets re-made. I love the work you're doing, but I just don't think I could go back to an orange display since all my games have ColorDMD or newer LCD. If you colorize this game, I am 100% keeping it.

#332 4 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Oh Boy! I thought you weren't going to color this. If you've changed your mind -- MIND BLOWN!
I've been thinking of selling my TOTAN since I don't play it that often, and I'd prefer to cash out before it possibly gets re-made. I love the work you're doing, but I just don't think I could go back to an orange display since all my games have ColorDMD or newer LCD. If you colorize this game, I am 100% keeping it.

Thanks and yes you should keep it. Color display is on his way. It’s gonna need some more time. Long work ahead...

#333 4 years ago

Please do show this machine on DPO EXPO 2019 in the netherlands! I will arrange free entrace for you and a friend!

#334 4 years ago

Here’s an idea!? I know you said you have to beat the original game in order to get to the next tales/modes. What if...

Like on stern Star Trek you have Nero 1, Nero 2, Nero 3. You could have each tale be 2 layers deep. Because you can select with the left flipper before hitting genie. So the great camel race would be round 1 and then if you are on top of the great camel race again and hit genie it will start the second mode you created. That way people can still experience all of your new work that you’ve done and give much more depth to the game up front instead of in the backend.

#335 4 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

Awesome work. Totan is a beautiful pin, artwise certainly one of the best. I think many totan enthusiast would be very happy with new code, which would vitalize this piece of art.

I dont know what code-set programming there is for an old pin and the display. I know for pixel-systems and dmx, there are programs that can reconfigure images to suit presentation on dmx-controlled displays.

#336 4 years ago
Quoted from Toppers:

Here’s an idea!? I know you said you have to beat the original game in order to get to the next tales/modes. What if...
Like on stern Star Trek you have Nero 1, Nero 2, Nero 3. You could have each tale be 2 layers deep. Because you can select with the left flipper before hitting genie. So the great camel race would be round 1 and then if you are on top of the great camel race again and hit genie it will start the second mode you created. That way people can still experience all of your new work that you’ve done and give much more depth to the game up front instead of in the backend.

I love this idea! For someone like my wife (who loves TOTAN and is the real reason I still own the game) she will never get to see any of the new modes because she doesn't come close to beating the current game. I really wish there was some way to introduce the new content without needing to complete all the old content. Maybe there could be a system setting that lets the user toggle whether to keep the modes locked until originals are beaten vs. being able to access them in the early game. This would be a way to keep the original vision for the code, but also make the cool new stuff accessible to everyone if desired.

#337 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Awesome work. Totan is a beautiful pin, artwise certainly one of the best. I think many totan enthusiast would be very happy with new code, which would vitalize this piece of art.
I dont know what code-set programming there is for an old pin and the display. I know for pixel-systems and dmx, there are programs that can reconfigure images to suit presentation on dmx-controlled displays.

I’m using pygame. However this is different than ccc or indy (other P-ROC project). I used a specific encryption inside the pic to be able to make it easier the use of the color for a large amount of dmd files. I wanted also more colors to deal with.

#338 4 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Please do show this machine on DPO EXPO 2019 in the netherlands! I will arrange free entrace for you and a friend!

It would be great it could be shown at an expo and thanks for the offer, I appreciate it.
My schedule with family, work or else make it hard to travel europe. However maybe someone with a totan could share but I m not ready yet and don’t have a end time, moreover now since I ll need a lot of time to do the colors.

#339 4 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

I love this idea! For someone like my wife (who loves TOTAN and is the real reason I still own the game) she will never get to see any of the new modes because she doesn't come close to beating the current game. I really wish there was some way to introduce the new content without needing to complete all the old content. Maybe there could be a system setting that lets the user toggle whether to keep the modes locked until originals are beaten vs. being able to access them in the early game. This would be a way to keep the original vision for the code, but also make the cool new stuff accessible to everyone if desired.

I’ ve thought about that and i’ll create a tip (check post 132 if you don’t know what it is)
You will be able to launch directly quest 2 (forget about saving the princess though).
You’ll need the code too. Again it means typing flippers in specific order in attract mode.

It’s a good idea (like others) and choice has to be made. You could check previous post and sorry to be short but I don’t want to explain myself forever with my own reasons, let’s sum up:
- I wanted it to be a real extension and not a reworked totan since I m attached to the original software.
- All the new modes but the new tales can be launched in the first quest (check post 1) so you’ll feel like to play the extension a lot. I ve added animations as well.
- this is planned to be hard (i mean harder than before).
THIS will need some challenge to see the end.

#340 4 years ago

Thank you for clarifying!! So excited for the beta!

Quoted from noitbe1:

I’ ve thought about that and i’ll create a tip (check post 132 if you don’t know what it is)
You will be able to launch directly quest 2 (forget about saving the princess though).
You’ll need the code too. Again it means typing flippers in specific order in attract mode.
It’s a good idea (like others) and choice has to be made. You could check previous post and sorry to be short but I don’t want to explain myself forever with my own reasons, let’s sum up:
- I wanted it to be a real extension and not a reworked totan since I m attached to the original software.
- All the new modes but the new tales can be launched in the first quest (check post 1) so you’ll feel like to play the extension a lot. I ve added animations as well.
- this is planned to be hard (i mean harder than before).
THIS will need some challenge to see the end.

#341 4 years ago

Your work is incredible! Will that P-ROC Version work with the brand new 4k TOTAN VPX release, Cactus Canyon Continued did in the past?

Just in case you don't know what i am talking about, i made a little video

#342 4 years ago
Quoted from calium:

Your work is incredible! Will that P-ROC Version work with the brand new 4k TOTAN VPX release, Cactus Canyon Continued did in the past?
Just in case you don't know what i am talking about, i made a little video

No idea for ccc with VPx. I know that totan TM and ccc work with VP9 with a bridge. The Totan has an issue with 2 magnets handlers. No idea why and I didn’t spent too much time on it. Great tool to test the lightning effects.

I’ve made some tests with VPx but it didn’t make it.
All I can say if it’s work with ccc it could work with totan TM.

#343 4 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

Is the music a Pinsound Mod?

#344 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Is the music a Pinsound Mod?

PS works with the original soft. No connection.

#345 4 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

PS works with the original soft. No connection.

Oh, then what was the track you were playing? It fits the TOTAN theme well

#346 4 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

No idea for ccc with VPx. I know that totan TM and ccc work with VP9 with a bridge. The Totan has an issue with 2 magnets handlers. No idea why and I didn’t spent too much time on it. Great tool to test the lightning effects.
I’ve made some tests with VPx but it didn’t make it.
All I can say if it’s work with ccc it could work with totan TM.

Oh i meant „Like“ CCC, sorry.
The Proc CCC Version runs perfect with vpx. Hopefully Your TOTAN in anytime too. Your work is amazing. Thx a lot!

2 weeks later
#347 4 years ago

edit post 1 with color attract mode (WIP).

#348 4 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

Color looks awesome. I cannot read that one font at all though. I have no idea what half of the screens say. I get the Arabic vibe you're going for, but it kills that vibe if you can't tell what the screens say. At first I thought it was set on another language.

#349 4 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Color looks awesome. I cannot read that one font at all though. I have no idea what half of the screens say. I get the Arabic vibe you're going for, but it kills that vibe if you can't tell what the screens say. At first I thought it was set on another language.

If this kills the vibes, my feeling is it might not be the only thing which might bugs you: lot of things will be new.
This project is personnal and closed and far from the original. I'm sorry but I'm not altruist enough to change this things since I like it and it ask several hours of unwanted work. Again... this thing is not commercial based.
Please see it like a homebrew thing as anyone is free to code his own P-ROC things (I don't come from the pinball world). No offense but I don't want to debate forever on my choice but I'm happy to share my progress. If you can't read something I can translate it for you. That's, for most part, the same stuff as it was from original.

#350 4 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

great color pick

Quoted from Cheeks:

I didn't get what was the issue... you may start your own thing: project like this can be created with MPF.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs
Displays
$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs
Displays
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
13,000 (Firm)
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore
Plastics
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
13,000 (Firm)
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Boards
PinSound
Boards
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
(Alt) Translites
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 913 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 19.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/totan-software-rewrite-on-p-roc-twilight-melody/page/7?hl=vpv1rgin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.