EC29B51B-7FA1-4FDC-A93B-F5C2269D532D (resized).jpeg
59F11762-7EDE-4E58-BA81-A3765B6CEE2B (resized).jpeg
col11 (resized).png
col9 (resized).png
col10 (resized).png
col8 (resized).png
col7 (resized).png
col6 (resized).png

There are 913 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 19.
#201 5 years ago
Quoted from brett:

Great job. You’ve definitely have put a lot of effort and time into this.

Thanks. I appreciate it. This is a personnal view but I like the theme and it deserved to be digged in a bit beyond the pinball world in my opinion.

#202 5 years ago
Quoted from JHPSWE:

Looks great!! Just restored my totan to mint condition
I’m new to P-roc can you explain how to run your code on any pin when you are ready?
What do I need to do? And will you share or sell the software?
Thanks and keep up the good work

Same as ccc. But in my case I’m still running original dmd. So everything is the same but the WPC cpu board replaced by the p-roc board. To run it it needs a computer to be plugged to the p-roc to run the software. Even the pinball speakers can be used.

It would be cool to share it but it needs to be polished and tested a lot.
Also the project is currently pretty big because of the wave files,dmd... around 5Gb ... yes it’s big... i don’t try to optimize any memory since I’m chipset free.

#203 5 years ago

I’ll add a new tiger loop called « double tiger loop »
If the ball make a first loop and can make another loop in the other direction in the row (less than 5s and no other switch called) then a new special animation is run with the tiger and it scores 2 loops (instead of one)

I’ll share a video next time.

#204 5 years ago

Freeking awesome. Love the new animations, sounds and rules. I don't recall seeing the auto-plunger in action before, it looks great.

I'm happy when I change a song in my Metallica using Pinball Browser... and here you are reprogramming an entire rule set, with new sounds and animation, Quite impressive!

#205 5 years ago

this is the best project ever! thx for some TOTAN love noitbe1!

do u make the dmd colored? user netzzwerg from the vpuniverse page made a fantastic pin2dmd.pal file already, very very nice to use.

#206 5 years ago

Fantastic! Just read this tread for the first time and following. Looking forward to play your project one time!!
Kind regards from the Pays Bas!

#207 5 years ago

If this ever comes to fruition, I really hope you consider mixing in the new modes with the old modes, rather than needing to beat all the old ones before encountering the new ones.

I have TOTAN and like the game alright, but none of the original modes are cool or all that fun. Most of the new modes look like they are. I'd hate to see new life breathed into this game, but still be forced to labor through ALL the original modes first, when you'd rather play the new ones. Finding a way to mix them together so it's more a pool of 14 that you pull from would intermix the old and the new and would allow the game to feel fresh from the start rather than a "chore" followed by some payoff.

As a possible compromise, even if they weren't all available from the beginning, maybe beating an original mode unlocks the new version. So if you beat cyclops-original first, then cyclops-new is available along with the other 6 original modes.

While BoP 2.0 has all new modes, I think Dutch made this same mistake. You have to beat all small wheel modes before you ever see the big wheel modes. Most people rarely see them, and thus playing the small wheel modes all of the time feels too repetitive.

#208 5 years ago

Its not possible to incorporate the old modes from the ROM and the new modes coded from scratch. You can run the old modes with pinmame and the new modes from scratch. Unless he wants to manually code all of the old modes with the new modes, then it would work but would also be a ton of work and probably out of the scope of this project.

Quoted from Cheeks:

If this ever comes to fruition, I really hope you consider mixing in the new modes with the old modes, rather than needing to beat all the old ones before encountering the new ones.
I have TOTAN and like the game alright, but none of the original modes are cool or all that fun. Most of the new modes look like they are. I'd hate to see new life breathed into this game, but still be forced to labor through ALL the original modes first, when you'd rather play the new ones. Finding a way to mix them together so it's more a pool of 14 that you pull from would intermix the old and the new and would allow the game to feel fresh from the start rather than a "chore" followed by some payoff.
As a possible compromise, even if they weren't all available from the beginning, maybe beating an original mode unlocks the new version. So if you beat cyclops-original first, then cyclops-new is available along with the other 6 original modes.
While BoP 2.0 has all new modes, I think Dutch made this same mistake. You have to beat all small wheel modes before you ever see the big wheel modes. Most people rarely see them, and thus playing the small wheel modes all of the time feels too repetitive.

#209 5 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Its not possible to incorporate the old modes from the ROM and the new modes coded from scratch. You can run the old modes with pinmame and the new modes from scratch. Unless he wants to manually code all of the old modes with the new modes, then it would work but would also be a ton of work and probably out of the scope of this project.

Didn't he already say he did this?

Quoted from noitbe1:

The original code has been rewritten. Now I'll start to work on the extension with:
- new sequences:

#210 5 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Some good ideas here on TOTAN but I have to disagree on BOP2.0. It makes you become a better player and its very challenging .

#211 5 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Some good ideas here on TOTAN but I have to disagree on BOP2.0. It makes you become a better player and its very challenging .

I almost left BoP out of the discussion; I knew I'd get disagreement. To me, mode-based games need as much variety as possible, so artificially forcing repetition (you have to play these before those) gets monotonous. To a greater degree, it's what I hate about Road Show.

At least with BoP the modes are more interesting than the original ones in TOTAN.

#212 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballdork:

Freeking awesome. Love the new animations, sounds and rules. I don't recall seeing the auto-plunger in action before, it looks great.
I'm happy when I change a song in my Metallica using Pinball Browser... and here you are reprogramming an entire rule set, with new sounds and animation, Quite impressive!

hi. First time I have that many messages, sounds great.
thanks for your message and I do agree with the "Pinball Browser" tool. It's great to set your own music that's also a bit why I'm doing this project.

#213 5 years ago
Quoted from calium:

this is the best project ever! thx for some TOTAN love noitbe1!
do u make the dmd colored? user netzzwerg from the vpuniverse page made a fantastic pin2dmd.pal file already, very very nice to use.

color DMD and LCD, not a big fan. Why not working on it once the main code will be completed but thanks for the advice.

#214 5 years ago
Quoted from PinPeet:

Fantastic! Just read this tread for the first time and following. Looking forward to play your project one time!!
Kind regards from the Pays Bas!

hello from France ! if you step by Paris... we never know
I'm going to Amsterdam next month with family. It will be great I think.

#215 5 years ago

For sure you will like Amsterdam!! If you need a hangout for some Pinball let me know. Depending on the age of you family there are some good spots!

#216 5 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

thanks for this advice and I agree and disagree.

First I have to say that I've planned most of my project even before starting coding it. I already discussed about it but yes original software is not perfect but it's fun. Who knows that there is a super Jackpot in Scherazade tale? Who? I didn't. There are some hidden stuff fun.

I've planned to add plenty of new modes during the first quest.
There need to be a goal a challenge and I'm attached to the old tales. Main complaints of the old software was it was way too easy and we could skip the tales. Good player would have no issue beating the first quest but for the beating the second one properly, acheiving what's need to be done and getting to the right ending... trust me that's another story. I'll share a bit more on that maybe once more advanced.

This project is my view and is not customer driven or else. It's the way I've dreamt the software to be more fun. I've also new ideas I've planned to share. It might me not perfect but no idea can pleased everybody.

Last thing: there is this video game "dark soul" (PS3) not the better graphic or else but freaking hard with no easy/hard setting. You just had to beat the game. This game was a huge success because so many players got used to play easy games with no real challenge when you can’t lose... it really created a new interest for the gameplay. Basically on this game, if your avatar fall: you die, if you make any mistake during a fight: you die and so on... and you have to restart all over to a far past point ... bosses are also almost impossible to beat the first time, you have to die so many times before finding a way it’s crazy. I'm from the old generation when beating a game with 3 lives was really hard. Retro gaming maybe but what great games that was... it makes you proud once acheived.

#217 5 years ago

As I said in my first spot, I've already coded in Python all the original software, every score, light effects, rules everthing (from 1.4) is in there and yes it cost me a lot of times. I've started this threat when I started the extension because who cares with the original code.
Why I did it? because I wanted freedom for the add on to be coded in Python on a computer with a hard drive. You couldn't imagine add that many contents in the ROM anyway, that’s the advantage with python’s project with p-roc.

#218 5 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

It makes you become a better player and its very challenging .

That's really the main idea of that project

#219 5 years ago

Just saw this : great music, light effects.
I don’t know the rules but it’s fun watching and it seems fun to play.

#220 5 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

Just saw this : great music, light effects.
I don’t know the rules but it’s fun watching and it seems fun to play.

It sure is! Plus that video is at the early stages. The finished product is amazing!

#221 5 years ago

Wow that’s impressive! Good job I know how long it takes!!

Quoted from noitbe1:

As I said in my first spot, I've already coded in Python all the original software, every score, light effects, rules everthing (from 1.4) is in there and yes it cost me a lot of times. I've started this threat when I started the extension because who cares with the original code.
Why I did it? because I wanted freedom for the add on to be coded in Python on a computer with a hard drive. You couldn't imagine add that many contents in the ROM anyway, that’s the advantage with python’s project with p-roc.

#222 5 years ago

Wow that’s impressive! Good job I know how long it takes!!

Thanks.

#223 5 years ago

Since last time:
- fix bugs: anim during tales and others..

- double tiger loop is now implemented
- A completly new mode based on the phantom flipper has been added
- the ending of the 1st quest is now done.

After though, I might remove some princess quotes I don't think are great on genie finale -> to be reactivate a the setting. I don't thing this fits with this new add on.

I'll share videos soon regarding those...

#224 5 years ago

regarding the "new mode based on the phantom flipper has been added"

this mode had been named: "Shooting Phantom" mode
I wanted to add magic (real) to this pin. To do that I thought to implement this mode which is related to the "shooting star" mode. Here is how it works:

- if the shooting star is activated, the cage pops up to save the ball. that's the good old rule...
- if this additional mode is activated, once the ball will be freed and ...if the ball go through the inner lane, then the pin will take the control of the flipper to make a random shoot. If this shoot hit a target within a real short period of time, then a special jackpot will be given. The flipper control is given back just after the shoot.

- that's the same idea than the monster bash phantom switch. The difference here is it's only happen once and the mode is over, there is a goal and also, the flipper control is left to the pin during the shoot duration: so the player can't do nothing during this short period and have to left the pinball to shoot.
- Also..specific animations goes along with the mode as long as a good reward.

Last thing: even it's pretty acurate, since it's difficult to know the pinball tilt, if there is a plastic protector or else, the shoot timing is random so this mode is based on the luck. There is also a ball saved (just in case)

I've planned to add also new trick with the flipper I'll share later, close to the kingpin sudden death feature (to test)

#225 5 years ago

Wow. That phantom mode sounds great! Really looking forward to seeing your end product. (And hoping it is available to others). Your work on this has been really impressive.

#226 5 years ago

new double tiger loop:

tiger_loopTM (resized).pngtiger_loopTM (resized).png
#227 5 years ago

here is quick video of how it works, need to optimize a bit.

#228 5 years ago

also the shooting phantom:

phatomTM (resized).pngphatomTM (resized).png
#229 5 years ago

a quick video also to display the mode: the pin has skills !

#230 5 years ago

last is the first quest ending. I've planned to share only this one because that's the one which launch the 2nd quest

1stendingTM (resized).png1stendingTM (resized).png
#231 5 years ago

here is the video:

#232 5 years ago
Quoted from keys88:

Wow. That phantom mode sounds great! Really looking forward to seeing your end product. (And hoping it is available to others). Your work on this has been really impressive.

thanks for your message

#233 5 years ago

Awesome stuff man. The new code you are creating for TOTAN and the fresh dmd animations are really cool!!

#234 5 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

Awesome stuff man. The new code you are creating for TOTAN and the fresh dmd animations are really cool!!

Thanks.
Next will be to work on new multiballs: i think 2 for now, new modes , real finale...
I need also to update the attract mode with scores/achievements regarding the new stuff to keep track...

1 month later
#235 5 years ago

update since last time:
- I have corrected a ton of bugs (some were old) and at least the old software is pretty solid.
- I have completed my new "super genie multiball" at around 60 %. I have all the rules in mind and I've made progress on the new animations.

#236 5 years ago

There is a new mode, this mode is the Bolero mode. As I said in my first post: this mode is 100% new.

-> this mode can be activated only from the "make a wish"
- the idea is this mode is a survival. Your goal is to keep the ball alive and the timer as long as possible.
- this mode is REALLY hard and really long (15min). Anyway, you can save your progress within the score tracking within the attract mode.
- the mode is part of the whole and need to be launch to complete the game. It will be hard to get as well (same as strobo multiball on AFM)

-> on the mode itself:
- the goal is, as often, to progress with the "action" target. However those targets change randomly every 30s and sometimes hard to get.
- if the time is over, the mode ends.
- lightning effects and animations go along with the music. Only matters the "action" (yellow) target wish give 30 more second to stay alive. The lamps are like they are dancing with the music with a pattern so it's not to show a specific target.

video to follow. I set the time really high on it: the purpose is just to show the gameplay and lightning. The start time will be only 90s with one ball save.

-> I wanted to had this mode for a long time. I think it's original by the way it is and because the player goal is to beat his last progress each time.
if you finish the mode... you're the man.
bolero (resized).pngbolero (resized).png

#238 5 years ago

I really like the idea of the mode, the lights, only the music...at the start there is no music. The Bolero just does not get things going. I would try a different soundtrack, and Bolero has in my opinion nothing to do with the Arabian theme.

#239 5 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

..and Bolero has in my opinion nothing to do with the Arabian theme.

Thanks for the comment but I disagree. This is spanish/arabe music as you know that spain was invaded and the culture mixed a long time ago.

The rythm is pretty original and even more oriental inspired for me by far.

For the beginning, I agree it’s a bit low in volume so I edit it as long as the rest to reduce the differences to have the music at start.

I though it was cool to add this music to this project and though a mode according to it and not the other way around adding light effects and so on.
I know this is a bit special mode with this new concept and long mode if achieved, so that’s why I put it in the make a wish

#240 5 years ago

I’ve planned to add 2 other 2 ball multiballs: one after the fireball and lightning lamp 3 sequences.
For now with the new finale to add 4 in total to the game.

#241 5 years ago

I understand the Arabic/Spain/Andalusia connection.

I think something like this would fit, bit more uptempo. You could even call the mode Fight Saladin or Survive Saladin. As you seem to battle the machine to keep alive. https://open.spotify.com/track/4bNTrlQxzxk50x4mSePrko?si=n_UQy5brRTuNKTLOsXFjbg

none the less, great what you are doing with this code! So much potential in this game.

#242 5 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

I understand the Arabic/Spain/Andalusia connection.
I think something like this would fit, bit more uptempo. You could even call the mode Fight Saladin or Survive Saladin. As you seem to battle the machine to keep alive. https://open.spotify.com/track/4bNTrlQxzxk50x4mSePrko?si=n_UQy5brRTuNKTLOsXFjbg
none the less, great what you are doing with this code! So much potential in this game.

I like it. As you see, there are some which are not too far. I'll see if I can maybe use one of them. Thanks for sharing the link.

#243 5 years ago

This looks so cool. First of all, thanks for bringing an already amazing game back to life and making it even better a lot of really cool things going on with this code and I really like what your doing.

Maybe for the music you could make it more like white water where it starts off simple and then as you progress through the mode it gets more and more involved? The problem I see is finding a song that does that well and doesn’t start off “too slow” have you considered scoring your own music for it? Or having someone in here do it?

#244 5 years ago
Quoted from Toppers:

This looks so cool. First of all, thanks for bringing an already amazing game back to life and making it even better a lot of really cool things going on with this code and I really like what your doing.
Maybe for the music you could make it more like white water where it starts off simple and then as you progress through the mode it gets more and more involved? The problem I see is finding a song that does that well and doesn’t start off “too slow” have you considered scoring your own music for it? Or having someone in here do it?

Hi. thanks!
Are you referring to the Bolero mode or a new mode? if this is for the Bolero, yes the whole mode was coded according to the music. Coding a mode like this took some patience and some time (a lot ) even now I have more skills with the tools, and I have to say that I was happy with the result. Again, I agreed that the Bolero start low in volume so I edit the music myself (I have a tool for that) I can even ajust it more if needed but during the gameplay the volume seems ok but I can change it again.

The video quality is not great (it was a bit dark) and the sound is weired.

#245 5 years ago

Great job!! I hope you continue building it into awesomeness!!!

#246 5 years ago
Quoted from PinPeet:

Great job!! I hope you continue building it into awesomeness!!!

thanks!
my plan is to finish the super genie multiball, code the 2 new multiballs for fireball and lightning lamp, maybe rework a bit the harem multiball (maybe a new one, I'm still thinking of it), the finale (big deal) and unless I think of other things to add, I'll start the overall testing and ajustments.

#247 4 years ago

time has passed and I think it's good to point out this all new 2.0 contents as far as modes, here is a diagram of it. In orange I put what's new.
Obviously, I might add new modes additional to those but a sum up is good as well.

I'll update the first post too.

V12_feature (resized).pngV12_feature (resized).png
#248 4 years ago

What a list of modes. Bravo!!
Really curious how you will get everything really polished an tight together. Code, music, lights and fun! But also informative and not repetitive.

Thanks. Appreciate that you share your progress, looking forward playing it!!
Salut

#249 4 years ago
Quoted from PinPeet:

What a list of modes. Bravo!!
Really curious how you will get everything really polished an tight together. Code, music, lights and fun! But also informative and not repetitive.
Thanks. Appreciate that you share your progress, looking forward playing it!!
Salut

thanks for your comment, really interesting by the way.
"Not repetitive" -> good point. To prevent that, new modes have new animations and new rules and more challenging and will be tracked in the tracking mode to add interrest to the main game.

For the "fun" part, I think I'll added my own touch with original modes with what the playfield could offer. I've started to test my own rules but go much deeper once everything's there

also to add: "balance scoring": I need to ajust the scoring to prevent a strategy to be much better that another.

difficulty: the game will be hard (I know I've already mentioned it ) but the idea is to give challenge, interest and will to go deeper and to at least, to get one of the tracking to beat as a gameplan.

#250 4 years ago

Looking forward to difficult! I agree that balance scoring is really important as well. Thanks for the reply

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs
Displays
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
13,000 (Firm)
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 913 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 19.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/totan-software-rewrite-on-p-roc-twilight-melody/page/5?hl=vpv1rgin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.