EC29B51B-7FA1-4FDC-A93B-F5C2269D532D (resized).jpeg
59F11762-7EDE-4E58-BA81-A3765B6CEE2B (resized).jpeg
col11 (resized).png
col9 (resized).png
col10 (resized).png
col8 (resized).png
col7 (resized).png
col6 (resized).png
There are 913 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 19.
#701 2 years ago

is this kit 2500 euros? What is in the kit for this money? Benoit, congrats on having your dream code project available to a wider public! It is great to see how these hobby projects turn into something that you can buy.

#702 2 years ago
Quoted from Faust:

is this kit 2500 euros? What is in the kit for this money? Benoit, congrats on having your dream code project available to a wider public! It is great to see how these hobby projects turn into something that you can buy.

You can see what is inside the box here: https://docs.the-forgotten-tales.com/installation/. Also the picture below shows how it looks installed inside the backbox.

#703 2 years ago
Quoted from Faust:

Thanks Felix !
Tu es le toujours le bienvenu pour passer.

#704 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Any English version? Mirco did a terrible job explaining what were really Getting and I was surprised about how high the cost was (2500).
Is there any new hardware like Rudy’s nightmare lCD on the pf? To me this looks like a rom update with upgraded speakers and panel. Has to be more right?
I’m definitely interested but unfortunately this project decided to pick one of the worst people in pinball to sell this - and that performance yesterday really was poor. I would like the OP to talk more about what is included so I can get pumped to buy it! Haha

My words are your's! Indeed... Mirco and price will be a no for my totan.

#705 2 years ago

The fact that Micro is involved in this project is going to hurt sales significantly. You should try and distance your project from him. His reputation is garbage in the industry right now!

#706 2 years ago
Quoted from eharan:

The fact that Micro is involved in this project is going to hurt sales significantly. You should try and distance your project from him. His reputation is garbage in the industry right now!

We agree that there is some room for better support at Mirco for playfields sold by him (for playfields sold by a 3d party he is not the right person to talk to). I let him talk on how he plans to improve that in the near future. However, we will separate support for this kit from playfield support very soon. That is already in the making and will happen within the next few weeks. We are very happy working with Mirco and simply would not be able to procure, finance, produce, sell and distribute those kits without his help. Sure we can do software and build a few board. However, there is quite a bit more (financially, legally etc) to bring a product to market.

#707 2 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Can you play the game on the floor at TPF?
But if it's 2500 I'm out sadly.

I have been following this project and looks great but if it is 2,500 for the kit, well, I'm out too.

#708 2 years ago

Félicitations noitbe1 !!
Travail de dingue , peu de personne peuvent s en rendre compte
Je n ai pas de TOTAN mais j espère vraiment tester cela un jour
Encore bravo

#709 2 years ago
Quoted from Baboon:

Félicitations noitbe1 !!
Travail de dingue , peu de personne peuvent s en rendre compte
Je n ai pas de TOTAN mais j espère vraiment tester cela un jour
Encore bravo

Merci Baboon !

#710 2 years ago

Here is the article in English language. (Merci Nicolas ! )

https://pinballmag.fr/en/totan-2-interview-designer/

#711 2 years ago

Thanks for posting the article

#712 2 years ago

new objective is to integrate a HD display: this display is NOT a LCD, but a real RGB Led (with dots): the definition is 256 x 64 instead of 128 x 32 (standart for almost all the dots in the 90s)
I have nothing against the LCD, I love them. (my project support them). It's just that the RGB led has dots and is really faithful to the original dot matrix and not just "a display".

2 possibilities:
- new algo to rework the frames and adapt them in a HD format from 1 pixel to 4 for instance: this one is obviously the easiest path (see picture below).
or...
- rework (improve) all the animations on this new format. The work could take some time... but it would be worth the effort...

Here is a screen running: yes it's running on HD !
I'll run more tests in the next few weeks, I'll share more on that.

new_HD_screen (resized).pngnew_HD_screen (resized).png

#713 2 years ago

last update:
- settting: add the possibility to remove the dim in old tales
- fix "commas" where it could not be seen
- cleaned up the settings with the range values
- cleaned up the menu names to match the layout
- add the possibility to add up to 5 balls in game

#714 2 years ago

next upgrade will implement the possibility to add up to 8 characters instead of 3 for high scrores.

It's not crazy long but for people with long name, it's better. The default will stay at 3 but it will be possible to change it inside the service menu:

attract (resized).pngattract (resized).png
#715 2 years ago

according to one suggestion I had, I've implemented the possibility to "stop" the new tales after the ball is drain: The new tales 2.0 could be long and and are harder so it gives the possbility to stop them and those could be relaunch in "make a wish" as an option if needed. It gives the average player to not stay stuck too long on a tale. This feature is only available for the tales 2.0, good old tales stay the same.

The choice has to be made prior launching the game: just press both flipper buttons for 3s, it will then activate/deactivate this option. Once activated, it will stay that way unless this is called back with this same manipulation in attract mode.
stop_tales (resized).pngstop_tales (resized).png

#716 2 years ago

on next update: there will the possibility to add custom messages in the attract mode.

Here are some options available:
- up to 3 lines for the text
- 8 different backframes
- 40 colors for the backframe
- position of the text..
- up to 5 pages. (I could add more but 5 is enough I think)

here is a sample of what it looks like:

#717 2 years ago

Really excited to see this come together...i'll be ordering soon. It makes a huge deal with you being so involved in making sure it gets finished and polished code

#718 2 years ago
Quoted from ulmpharmd:

Really excited to see this come together...i'll be ordering soon. It makes a huge deal with you being so involved in making sure it gets finished and polished code

Thanks for your comment ! I think it’s nice to add new options to add this added value and make the game more personal.
There used to be some ad messages in the past so it’s completely fair to set your own ones.

#719 2 years ago

regarding the new HD display I'm currently testing:

as a reminder: the current animation is 128 x 32 as it was done originally by WMS.

This new HD screen has 256 x 64 so has double the definition.
With the new display, I've reworked one first animation, it will even more improved but just to share the result we could have now, it looks promising.

I'll share on real screen soon.
for_Jab2 (resized).pngfor_Jab2 (resized).png

#720 2 years ago

another sample of reworked anim in HD definition:

for_Jab3 (resized).pngfor_Jab3 (resized).png
#721 2 years ago

other samples (WIP)

for_Jab4 (resized).pngfor_Jab4 (resized).pngfor_Jab5 (resized).pngfor_Jab5 (resized).pngfor_Jab6 (resized).pngfor_Jab6 (resized).png
#722 2 years ago

Picture of the beast:

46302C78-664D-4CE4-9C49-F5263E5B29E4 (resized).jpeg46302C78-664D-4CE4-9C49-F5263E5B29E4 (resized).jpeg
#723 2 years ago

Will the kit be upgraded or have options for the new hd panel and surround?

#724 2 years ago
Quoted from ulmpharmd:

Will the kit be upgraded or have options for the new hd panel and surround?

The code will no matter what. The code is already supporting a lot of different displays but it would be really nice to have this one too !
So even with the current kit, only the speaker kit with the display would change. This will be brought in a future update... if everything goes well.
But..
I need to validate and finish to migrate all the animations to HD, adapt my code to it. I will also probably change some animations with new ones… it will takes several weeks at least… but I have to say.. things go in the right direction.

Edit : the idea would be to have an option to select the screen in the setting: That's the plan.

#725 2 years ago

Is it possible that this could become part of a future remake? I’ve wanted a ToTAN for many years but haven’t found the right one.

#726 2 years ago
Quoted from dts:

Is it possible that this could become part of a future remake? I’ve wanted a ToTAN for many years but haven’t found the right one.

It’s a possibility.
Not in a short time though. All the pin I really wanted, I did a trade to get them so then, this could please both parties with another good pin.

I can’t be objective, for sure, but now Totan is my keeper pin for good.

#727 2 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

Picture of the beast:
[quoted image]

Could we have a look at the hardware this is running on? What are you using to do the speaker lights and will those be included in the kit?

#728 2 years ago
Quoted from stumblor:

Could we have a look at the hardware this is running on? What are you using to do the speaker lights and will those be included in the kit?

This is a PIN2DMD, the same as the current RGB led which has been tested . This speaker panel has been built in France and is used only for testing here.
I’m in test phase for now, that’s what I’m focusing on. When enough advanced and things validated, I will share more on the rest.

#729 2 years ago

Toujours aussi impressionnant, j'ai un TOTAN a fontainebleau, une fois fini je risque de faire un raid chez toi

#730 2 years ago
Quoted from etien:

Toujours aussi impressionnant, j'ai un TOTAN a fontainebleau, une fois fini je risque de faire un raid chez toi

merci pour ton message et en effet Fontainebleau c'est pas trop loin !

#731 2 years ago

on next update, I've changed the arabic default font to a new one a bit more readable. I really liked the other one so it will stay as an option in the setting.
the new default one will be the one below:

new_arabic (resized).pngnew_arabic (resized).png
#732 2 years ago

sorry if this is redundant but the HD display looks great and I'm confused on if this will be part of (or is already part of) the package being offered?

Not to rehash the past but the presentation by Marco on this was so terrible, I'm still confused on what is truly being offered here and what is something that might cost even more down the road? For example, if I spend 3.5k today, do I get that HD display too? I would hope so.

Great work btw - I just got a really nice TOTAN and I'm digging it so this thread is now on my radar!

#733 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

sorry if this is redundant but the HD display looks great and I'm confused on if this will be part of (or is already part of) the package being offered?
Not to rehash the past but the presentation by Marco on this was so terrible, I'm still confused on what is truly being offered here and what is something that might cost even more down the road? For example, if I spend 3.5k today, do I get that HD display too? I would hope so.
Great work btw - I just got a really nice TOTAN and I'm digging it so this thread is now on my radar!

Your question makes sense and I apologize if things could be confusing.
This thread is dedicated to my project, it’s been around for a while now and I do share stuff here which are linked to it.
There is another thread for the commercial kit.

Now regarding your question : yes definitely. My goal is to give the possibility to have another display which will have an HD resolution with the dot format. (Not LCD) so another option with both displays available.
I think this is something really nice so I want to share the progress in here knowing, if everything goes well, it could happen not too far from now.
There is only one offer today as far as kit, it’s the one with the RGB led with the standard definition.
I hope it’s more clear now.

#734 2 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

Your question makes sense and I apologize if things could be confusing.
This thread is dedicated to my project, it’s been around for a while now and I do share stuff here which are linked to it.
There is another thread for the commercial kit.
Now regarding your question : yes definitely. My goal is to give the possibility to have another display which will have an HD resolution with the dot format. (Not LCD) so another option with both displays available.
I think this is something really nice so I want to share the progress in here knowing, if everything goes well, it could happen not too far from now.
There is only one offer today as far as kit, it’s the one with the RGB led with the standard definition.
I hope it’s more clear now.

Yes - that's helpful. It seems for now, HD wouldn't be included however in the future, the package could include HD display as an option. If that's accurate, I hope the price stays as is (although I suspect you aren't the final decision maker on that haha). Thanks

2 weeks later
#735 1 year ago

really first test of this projet on the new HD display RGB led dot matrix (PIN2DMD) 256 x 64, (big thanks Joerg for his help). I have already migrated some modes in HD but I need some time to rework and improve and use this new tool as its best.

-> regarding this video, as expected, there is still work needed regarding the animations and such but we can see the image quality, it's really nice and even better in real

#736 1 year ago

I will have my kit in the next few days…. Really hoping we can upgrade the display to that hd one once you are finished with it.

#737 1 year ago
Quoted from ulmpharmd:

I will have my kit in the next few days…. Really hoping we can upgrade the display to that hd one once you are finished with it.

And you’re hoping right.
It’s a big amount of work to migrate to HD to say the least but the code will handle both displays :It’s hard to say how much time I need left but it has passed critical first tests with success.

#738 1 year ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

but it has passed critical first tests with success.

#739 1 year ago

Now it’s time for optimisation !

3 weeks later
#740 1 year ago

The whole Totan 2.0 has been converted to work with HD display with a first version of reworked HD assets.
This was a big step for me to validate all the modes could run on the HD display correctly.
I didn’t want to upscale the animations but work directly on the right format to be able to improve everything.
Next step now is to work on the animations performance and quality and also new assets and fix things there and there.

#741 1 year ago

This is outstanding news !

#742 1 year ago
Quoted from ulmpharmd:

This is outstanding news !

Thanks a lot. That’s a big step indeed.
This is almost a new project running but really looking forward to it and share more.
It’s worth the hard work. Once possible,I’ll share new videos with big changes.

#743 1 year ago

Could you share a few comparisons images ? I’m quite curious.

#744 1 year ago
Quoted from Turtlemaster:

Could you share a few comparisons images ? I’m quite curious.

I did. Check post #719 and #720. Below image is what will be on the HD display.

#745 1 year ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

I did. Check post #719 and #720. Below image is what will be on the HD display.

Sure. But some more

#746 1 year ago
Quoted from Turtlemaster:

Sure. But some more

this is far from being over because I'm currently reworking all my assets.
Anyway, I can share those pictures too to show a bit more:
as you may notice, there is no upscale, the image has been completly reworked to take advantage of the display.

comp1 (resized).pngcomp1 (resized).pngcomp2 (resized).pngcomp2 (resized).pngcomp3 (resized).pngcomp3 (resized).png

3 weeks later
#747 1 year ago

I would be interested to know more about the SW infrastructure used in this project. I understand it started as a P-Roc based project, so used PyProcGame, but switched later on to support FAST boards, but I'm unclear if it uses MPF or something else ?

This is in the scope of a full homebrew project a friend is working on, we started working with MPF, but would welcome to investigate alternatives

As for HD upscaling, I wonder if some level of AI upscaling would not be useful to automate (although source material is super low resolution, but could be worth looking at):
https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2020/02/03/what-is-ai-upscaling/

#748 1 year ago

This started as pyprocgame using the P-ROC but it was switched to FAST at the last minute for licensing reasons. The developer of MPF wrote an adapter to redirect the P-ROC calls to the FAST hardware. Apparently it was just 100 lines of code.

If you don't want to write your game in YAML, I suggest you look at SkeletonGame instead of pyprocgame.

#749 1 year ago
Quoted from clempo:

This started as pyprocgame using the P-ROC but it was switched to FAST at the last minute for licensing reasons. The developer of MPF wrote an adapter to redirect the P-ROC calls to the FAST hardware. Apparently it was just 100 lines of code.
If you don't want to write your game in YAML, I suggest you look at SkeletonGame instead of pyprocgame.

Thanks, so it actually use PyProcGame, but with an adapter layer to interface with FAST boards, it does not use MPF, correct ?

SkeletonGame only supports P-Roc from what I understand ?

#750 1 year ago

This TOTAN project does not use MPF as far as I know.
MPF is the most active pinball framework and is the most versatile for what hardware it supports.
SkeletonGame only supports P-ROC and LCD. Pyprocgame only supports P-ROC and DMD.
There is also the C# framework based on Unity for the P3 platform and P3 boards.
Be aware the FAST hardware is a huge controversy in the open source community started by P-ROC.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 84.99
$ 119.99
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 36.95
$ 37.50
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 913 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 19.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/totan-software-rewrite-on-p-roc-twilight-melody/page/15?hl=jabdoa and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.