New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 221957)

TOTAN 2.0 soft. Python rewrite and add-on: Twilight Melody

By noitbe1

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 542 posts
  • 53 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by noitbe1
  • Topic is favorited by 59 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 83 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

E66A3545-47F0-4185-B6B0-427B47FF35CD (resized).jpeg
punchout (resized).png
1AAE732C-729F-4594-9BD5-FAAAC34E2649 (resized).jpeg
188102BF-AADD-49C0-8E45-ED25F3DCA9BC (resized).jpeg
7E306528-26A5-4B5A-B7AF-03BBAAD36A43 (resized).jpeg
flying_carpet (resized).png
camel_race3 (resized).png
flyibg_horse (resized).png
vlob (resized).jpg
alibaba_col (resized).png
skeleton3-6 (resized).png
shell_game2 (resized).png
setting_2ndquest (resized).png
2D94F261-96B0-46BF-BFB2-B2683206DE18 (resized).png
33D94195-3B41-4177-BA07-2FCD094ECECF (resized).png
F066655A-B057-4257-B87E-39953CDD00A6 (resized).png

There are 542 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 11.
#501 49 days ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

back on the project, at last ! after a long summer and COVID time.
I have 3 main objectives:
- finishing the tests
- find a way to get a fast boot kit
- improve the RGB led display. The LCD is perfect but the RGB has some lags.
I will need some help to test at some point on another TOTAN. The only thing is: if one want to test the autolauncher, there is a soldering which needs to be done. Sorry not plug and play.
update soon.

I will volunteer.
Thx!

#502 48 days ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

I will volunteer.
Thx!

Ok! Tks

2 weeks later
#503 33 days ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

back on the project, at last ! after a long summer and COVID time.
I have 3 main objectives:
- finishing the tests
- find a way to get a fast boot kit
- improve the RGB led display. The LCD is perfect but the RGB has some lags.
I will need some help to test at some point on another TOTAN. The only thing is: if one want to test the autolauncher, there is a soldering which needs to be done. Sorry not plug and play.
update soon.

I am happy to test as well.

#504 33 days ago

I can solder a auto lanch in my Aladdin no problem.
But i have no p-roc, so how its going to work?.

#505 33 days ago

I have to say that I didn’t do anything much lately. I’ve worked a bit to improve the kit performance but i didn’t advance much on that.

However, I was able to test the Jim (applejuice) RGB led display and I’m really gratefull for it. His display is really really well built and he is providing HQ kits.

To run this project you need a computer, a P-ROC, an autolauncher if you want and a cable with 2 plugs (i ll provide the spec later on) to be plugged on the backbox.

#506 32 days ago

I got this crazy idea with getting in touch with the original voice actors for more quotes, same as CCC. Finger crossed.

#507 32 days ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

I got this crazy idea with getting in touch with the original voice actors for more quotes, same as CCC. Finger crossed.

It would be an interesting ancillary project to capture the original voice actors to refresh the soundtrack via PinSound for the 3000 factory-made machines as well. Pinsound doesn't have any community soundtrack for TOTAN yet.

#508 32 days ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

It would be an interesting ancillary project to capture the original voice actors to refresh the soundtrack via PinSound for the 3000 factory-made machines as well. Pinsound doesn't have any community soundtrack for TOTAN yet.

If there is a slight change that I get something, I’ve planned to adapt the quotes to my project. Those quotes will not be free and I need to check how I can manage a deal before going further.
Everyone is free to try and ask. This is planned to be dedicated to this extension only with my specific modes and not general for the good old software.
We’ll see how it goes. The quotes will be shared with my project at some point anyway.

#509 32 days ago

There is an opening discussion... that could be great.

#510 31 days ago

ok, I have to say that I had finally hard time to spend much time on this lately but finally, something new:

I've been able to "plug" and use the Applejuice RGB Diplay which work also with the TOTAN. To sum up, there are currently 2 RGB LED display: the PIN2DMD and the Applejuice one done for the Indy project and both works now.

The build quality of Applejuice RGB display is incredible. Both display are about the same as far as animation goes.

here is a test, the video quality is bad because I haven't set the brightness in code yet

#511 31 days ago

update 2:
I've made an offer for getting new quotes and I hope it will work out. Update soon.

#512 31 days ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

There is an opening discussion... that could be great.

I was curious about the magnitude of the soundtrack in TOTAN, so I downloaded the Pinsound original soundtrack for TOTAN and opened the folders. I noticed a bunch of voice clips that I haven't heard yet, and apparently I haven't made it thru all those game rules to hear them. Also, it seems pretty straight forward to replace any number of them, but then would require the $400 Pinsound board to run it. It made me wonder, has anyone ever successfully reprogrammed the sound roms on a WPC95 machine? Each sound is surely sittying in the ROM, and if there was a tool to read the ROM and then replace the binary, it could be done.

Has anyone ever investigate this or started mapping TOTAN ROM sound locations for personal use?

(If I get any responses, I'll move this to a new thread topic for deeper discussion)

#513 31 days ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

... Also, it seems pretty straight forward to replace any number of them, but then would require the $400 Pinsound board to run it. It made me wonder, has anyone ever successfully reprogrammed the sound roms on a WPC95 machine? ...

yes the Pinsound business purpose is to replace the sound with what you want. The sound quality is amazing. I don't think 400 dol is that much for this sofisticated board and so on. You might want to check the add on price with toppers and simple plastic where prices are sometimes really crazy.

for the sound, did you try this? I know it's working really well with Stern, I don't remember for the WPC:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images

for my project, since the software has been 100% recoded in Python, this is open bar.

#514 27 days ago

EXCITED!

#515 27 days ago

For the quote a discussion is going on but I'm not sure this will work out. I've made an offer, which was the same as Eric did for CCC, but that might be way less that to be expected. Might not be lucky for that.
At the same time, some quotes were not used in the original so I might use them instead.

I've bought a new LCD display to run new videos with it. The LCD is currently the best as far far as animations goes and speed.

I'll try to continue the testing for the modes. I had couple of issus with the shooting phatom last time were the shoot timing is not always right.

#516 23 days ago

here are new video of the shooting phantom in action: always cool to see the pinball shoot without player. The timing seems pretty good with my current environement. It can hit the bazaar or a target.
Basically this is luck: if the pinball shoot right, you'll get a good reward that's the idea:

#517 23 days ago

GREAT news, TOTAN 2.0 will have new quotes with the original voices actors... I 've been able to make a deal.

I don't master the timing for this but I'll share more once it will be available!

#518 22 days ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

GREAT news, TOTAN 2.0 will have new quotes with the original voices actors... I 've been able to make a deal.

Actors? Multiple?!? Female Gene, and announcer? Amazing.

Fingers crossed. Would donations help?

#519 22 days ago
Quoted from pinballdork:

Actors? Multiple?!? Female Gene, and announcer? Amazing.
Fingers crossed. Would donations help?

Thanks for the offer. I appreciate it. For now I have Dimiria on board (good genie) and in process with the genie and the male voice.

#520 22 days ago

getting a totan soon. following. Can you recap how much will be involved in using your new code? Thx!

#521 20 days ago

I've tested the LCD screen with mounting from Pinball Life. Thanks to Scott for his help and advice on it.

The screen is great, a little bright but the animations are really smouth.

#522 20 days ago

video is not working

#523 20 days ago

Install with the bracket: the mounting is pretty well done and it's fitting perfectly the WPC 95 backbox door screw holes.

link to PB LCD:
https://www.pinballlife.com/lcd-screen-electronics-and-bracket-assembly-720p.html

E66A3545-47F0-4185-B6B0-427B47FF35CD (resized).jpeg

#524 20 days ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

video is not working

mmm strange it's working for me.

#525 20 days ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

mmm strange it's working for me.

Video played for me. Can I just order the pinball life lcd or do I need new code ?

#526 20 days ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Video played for me. Can I just order the pinball life lcd or do I need new code ?

hi,
to run my project, you need a computer running it and a P-ROC board at a minimum. I haven't shared anything yet, I've planned to share this to some beta tester first to see how it goes on other Totan and with LEDs for instance.
This is no garantie that I will ever release anything. I will if I fill it as far as qualities and return. This was not my goal at first but now I really want to share it because I think the experience is interesting.

#527 20 days ago

I have ordered a mat LCD screen to replace the Pinball life one which is glossy.
I will make a new video and shows the difference with the brightness once I’ll receive it, hopefully in 2 days.

#528 18 days ago

Ive got a few old computers, a prok, and a fully LED’d TOTAN...I’d be more than happy to test this out, it sounds and looks amazing!!!

#529 16 days ago
Quoted from mikehoss1414:

Ive got a few old computers, a prok, and a fully LED’d TOTAN...I’d be more than happy to test this out, it sounds and looks amazing!!!

Hi. Thanks for the offer. For now I’m good with testers. I’m also still in a process to test a kit.

I got news from my new quotes deal, I should have those in couple of days! I really thought this to be impossible because those people are professionals and are really busy with other much more lucrative activities... great person.

I will see for the implementation and make new videos.

#530 14 days ago

some updates...:

the 1.4 version with all the good old tales seems pretty solid and stable (at last !), so I'm focusing to have the extension with the same equal finish feel with sounds and animations and interactions with other modes. Those tests are really time consuming but I'm moving forward. Once the extension will be stable as well, then we may go to phase 2 like some know already.

also...
- I worked on new custom sounds for monsters, this alone takes some time.
- Debug issues on the Sinbad tale TM. I've planned to make a video soon. This tale is really fun to play and I'm really satisfied with the result. I also think that the challenge is well balanced.. not too hard/ not too easy but... a lot harder that it used to be than for the original tale.
- Waiting for the actor quotes wish should happen soon. CROSS FINGERS!.
- overall performance of the project has been improved.

The Sinbad TM tale is one of my favorite tale and is challenging. I thought that it was unfortunate that the previous Sinbad tale was so short and easy...

I'm also expecting a new mate LCD screen tomorrow. I'll be then able to compare what's best with PB.
For now... LCD is my favorite choice because of performance and animation fluidity. That's why I've planned to make new videos with this support in the future.

also... and for infos: if I'm not mistaken: the LCD screen from PB is the one used for RM and TNA.

#531 14 days ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

- Waiting for the actor quotes wish should happen soon. CROSS FINGERS!.

If, your able to get the new speech clips.... It would be interesting to see if the Voice actors were curious about your project and pinball. Or is it just doing a 'gig'.

All of your progress sounds impressive.

#532 14 days ago
Quoted from pinballdork:

If, your able to get the new speech clips.... It would be interesting to see if the Voice actors were curious about your project and pinball. Or is it just doing a 'gig'.
All of your progress sounds impressive.

thanks ! yes that's a really good point. I would be curious too.
For Dimiria's voice, Lia does have a recording studio... The sound quality should be good so it's a start.
I really thanks her for time anyhow... she is really great...

#533 12 days ago

Sinbad TM is done and tested.
The more I test the extension the more I’m thinking a modifying the 1.4 original software. New TM modes are challenging and I want them like that. Not impossible but it give satisfaction to acheive them.

I’m thinking of making the good old tales harder. Here are some idea I got to get the jewel for the 7 tales:

Forty theives: 3 ramps instead of one
Flying horse: no change
Scheherazade: at least 4 books opened instead of one
Cyclops: 4 orb hits instead of one
Camel race: start the race in 8th instead of fourth
Sinbad: kill 5 rocs with the bumpers. The bumpers might need to be reached several times then
Ali baba: no change

The idea is first : to make the old tales more difficult to make them more challenging and the second to better balance the game with the extension.

#534 12 days ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

Sinbad TM is done and tested.
The more I test the extension the more I’m thinking a modifying the 1.4 original software. New TM modes are challenging and I want them like that. Not impossible but it give satisfaction to acheive them.
I’m thinking of making the good old tales harder. Here are some idea I got to get the jewel for the 7 tales:
Forty theives: 3 ramps instead of one
Flying horse: no change
Scheherazade: at least 4 books opened instead of one
Cyclops: 4 orb hits instead of one
Camel race: start the race in 8th instead of fourth
Sinbad: kill 5 rocs with the bumpers. The bumpers might need to be reached several times then
Ali baba: no change
The idea is first : to make the old tales more difficult to make them more challenging and the second to better balance the game with the extension.

Love the idea of making some of the original modes more balanced, since some of them only took a couple shots. However, this makes it that much more difficult / unlikely to get to your new cool stuff.

To me: increasing the difficulty makes it even more important to allow access to the new modes before completing all of the old ones (not sure what your current thinking is on this). If you don't want all 14 available at once, the 7 new ones could be "level 2" on each of the jewels. So, initially all 7 original tales are assigned to their jewels. Then, if you beat cyclops, the cyclops jewel represents one of your new tales. This is how Stern Star Trek worked. You could either go for all 6 level 1 missions, or you could go up to 3 missions deep in a single category. This would add different strategies and keep all the tales fresh. It would also allow people to see old and some new tales without having to get super deep into the game.

#535 12 days ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Love the idea of making some of the original modes more balanced, since some of them only took a couple shots. However, this makes it that much more difficult / unlikely to get to your new cool stuff.
To me: increasing the difficulty makes it even more important to allow access to the new modes before completing all of the old ones (not sure what your current thinking is on this). If you don't want all 14 available at once, the 7 new ones could be "level 2" on each of the jewels. So, initially all 7 original tales are assigned to their jewels. Then, if you beat cyclops, the cyclops jewel represents one of your new tales. This is how Stern Star Trek worked. You could either go for all 6 level 1 missions, or you could go up to 3 missions deep in a single category. This would add different strategies and keep all the tales fresh. It would also allow people to see old and some new tales without having to get super deep into the game.

Thanks for your comment. There is a setting to start the 2nd quest (extension) first: then the good old tales are played in the 2nd quest instead. At the end of the 1st quest, no change, the Wizard mode 1 and when all the 14 tales acheived: wizard mode 2 which is the real ending.

Consequently : it’s good to balance the difficulty of the old tales with the one of the extension.

I’ve thought about your idea already, it was discussed some time ago. Actually I wanted to create a 1.4 environment and then an extension with an different atmosphere, music , skill shots, bazaar, score display... and I can’t melt all those at once. that’s why I’ve made my mine this way.
Super gouls’ and ghost like... if you know it

#536 11 days ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

Thanks for your comment. There is a setting to start the 2nd quest (extension) first: then the good old tales are played in the 2nd quest instead. At the end of the 1st quest, no change, the Wizard mode 1 and when all the 14 tales acheived: wizard mode 2 which is the real ending.
Consequently : it’s good to balance the difficulty of the old tales with the one of the extension.
I’ve thought about your idea already, it was discussed some time ago. Actually I wanted to create a 1.4 environment and then an extension with an different atmosphere, music , skill shots, bazaar, score display... and I can’t melt all those at once. that’s why I’ve made my mine this way.
Super gouls’ and ghost like... if you know it

Love the new challenges. Don’t want to get to excited until I hear I can add it

#537 10 days ago

update:
I might get the new quotes this week end. Cross finger on that.
I've retested and changed some light effects, added new music;, fixed new issues with mode interactions.

Other TM tales are being tested. Some bug has been fixed with, again, interaction with other modes which can be a challenge as far as coding.
To be clear, a mode has to deal with other modes, multiplayers and so on... a lot of interaction to test to make sure there are no issue since the modes are done as "layers" which interact with the others.

My real road block today is the kit. I have contacted different people (professionals) to help me on it to get something the most optimized possible.
I've planned to share more on the auto launcher soon, how to install it, how it's plugged again and so on. This is the only tricky part with this kit because this extension can be played without autolauncher but it's way better with it. I still don't know why it was not there in the first place but I think propably due to cost savings.
If ones want to install an autolauncher, there is no other choice to resolder the switch: sorry no other way. It's really easy to do but it's not a plug and play feature and you need an iron to do that. Everything can be set back to what it was, but obviously, the switch needs to be solder again.

Everything else is plug and play: that's my target. I've planned to support the PB LCD display, PIN2DMD RGB led, Applejuice RGB led and OBVIOUSLY, the good old DMD dot matrix which is really important for me: I want something genuine.

If I can manage a way to set a good kit, I will be able to share this thing, until that, it's still hope.
I also needs TOTAN TM to be tested (WIP) by other people on other TOTAN with other view than mine. This should be done soon (at least)

I really want to spend the maximum of time possible for testing this extension. The number of possible issues is crazy. Anyone who wants to work on project like this needs to realize that.

update soon.

#538 10 days ago

also, for me a pinball play must be unique. So I've decided to change some of the music for some modes and to offer several of them for the same mode.
The idea to propose more varieties of the pinball experience...

#539 8 days ago

I'm currently testing the Bolero. Here are some stuff to know about this mode which is a bit special.

This mode is a survival mode, it's optional and chosen in "make a wish". It's not required to finish the game but it could be a goal to start it and make a great score to it.
- you start from the base of Baghdad main tower and you go to the top which happen at the end of the song.
- All the playfied lights are synchronized with the music BUT the 5 yellow actions which are the target.
- you start pretty much in the dark and the lights pops up and blink with the music and the more the music goes, the more you see light effects synch with the music.
- You start with a timer and each time you hit an action, you gain some time.
- You have infinite ball, only the timer kills the mode
- this mode is REALLY hard to finish but the goal there is to make a step score (saved in the attract mode best score). This step score goes from 0 to 20.
If you acheived 20, then the song is over and you have beatten this mode (can be proud, it will not happen every day). Again it's a survival mode BUT with a end.

the video is a bit long... the Bolero last around 11 minutes... so here is the end:

#540 8 days ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

- this mode is REALLY hard to finish but the goal there is to make a step score (saved in the attract mode best score). This step score goes from 0 to 20.
If you acheived 20, then the song is over and you have beatten this mode (can be proud, it will not happen every day). Again it's a survival mode BUT with a end.
the video is a bit long... the Bolero last around 11 minutes... so here is the end:

Nice,

Could this mode or any other mode be set up as quick off line challenge quest. Where a single mode could be ran as a quickie to get on the high score board, kinda like Elwins Jurassic park. ( I forget the name, Nublar??)

#541 8 days ago

Yes why not like a setting to activate it in the make a wish? Then you just have to activate the make a wish once.
Is it something you were thinking?

#542 6 days ago

New code optimization has been done for the Bolero mode: no more lags and everything works perfecly now. I fixed different issues and hard tested this mode with a lot of games.
I optimized the gameplay to make it harder and harder during the mode for the newbye to play a little bit before failing.
I've planned to set 3 level of difficulties with the first level as a default.
I don't consider myself as a good player but was able to score to 16 (out of 20) the mode after a lot of plays. It was my best score.
Obvisouly, the mode needs to be unlock and select so the intent is to have a small shot for a high score so even a good player needs to use his best skills.

Really fun mode.
Survival is a link with video games (again I know...) but I like new rules and this kind of project let you try stuff like this.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 209.00
8,500 (Firm)
Sale Pending!
Austin, TX
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Frederick, MD
$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Olympia, WA
$ 37.50
There are 542 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 11.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside