EC29B51B-7FA1-4FDC-A93B-F5C2269D532D (resized).jpeg
59F11762-7EDE-4E58-BA81-A3765B6CEE2B (resized).jpeg
col11 (resized).png
col9 (resized).png
col10 (resized).png
col8 (resized).png
col7 (resized).png
col6 (resized).png
There are 913 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 19.
#451 4 years ago
Quoted from gstellenberg:

Hey guys. Integrating the zero cross circuit into the P-ROC isn't going to happen now. It would be a huge project with tons of ramifications to all P-ROC users and isn't really even necessary. I've offered noitbe1 a couple of different ways to get similar results, and based on some discussions in the #pindev slack channel, it sounds like he's now exploring use of the aux bus logic to get higher resolution control of the GI. That's absolutely the best path forward.
If I can find the code I wrote for BoP/AFM to implement regular drivers with the aux-bus logic, I'll share it. Maybe some of the other P-ROC projects that used the code will share their implementations. Otherwise, I can talk anybody through it. Driving the GI through the aux-logic is simple. Maintaining control of the other drivers on the same enable line is a little bit less simple, but it's nothing a good software dev couldn't work through in day or less. I implemented the Virtual Drivers in pyprocgame to do most of the work for you.
- Gerry
https://www.multimorphic.com

Thanks Gerry for your support.
I hope it helps my buddy Noitbe1.

#452 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballdork:

Man... I'm really curious how the New light show effects will look. I've been enjoying following this thread, watching the amazing attention to detail that has been made on the software, sounds and display. I'd have to guess that requested Light Light show change would bring the game up to another level.
I don't imagine CGC remaking this game anytime soon so I think people would jump on a sweet upgrade of their games.
Gerry any chance on this?

Yes me too, Totan is famous because it has a great lightshow. But yours make it usefull because the extra rules.
New rules need extra lights or it can be difficult to understand the extra rules.
Specialy for my homebrew version of totan.
Can't wait to see the extra lighting in action.
I love this project.

#453 4 years ago

Hey guys. Integrating the zero cross circuit into the P-ROC isn't going to happen now. It would be a huge project with tons of ramifications to all P-ROC users and isn't really even necessary. I've offered noitbe1 a couple of different ways to get similar results, and based on some discussions in the #pindev slack channel, it sounds like he's now exploring use of the aux bus logic to get higher resolution control of the GI. That's absolutely the best path forward.
If I can find the code I wrote for BoP/AFM to implement regular drivers with the aux-bus logic, I'll share it. Maybe some of the other P-ROC projects that used the code will share their implementations. Otherwise, I can talk anybody through it. Driving the GI through the aux-logic is simple. Maintaining control of the other drivers on the same enable line is a little bit less simple, but it's nothing a good software dev couldn't work through in day or less. I implemented the Virtual Drivers in pyprocgame to do most of the work for you.
- Gerry
https://www.multimorphic.com

Thanks all to your support and Gerry. If i can find a solution for the lightshow it’s great. There seems to be some good leads. I look forward to know more.

#454 4 years ago

1st test on the RGB led displayed installed. The image quality is amazing. On the video, there is some scanline but it's a video effect. Seems hard to make a perfect video with it because of its frequency and brighness and maybe it was a bit dark too.
The performance with this display is perfect with windows 10 but I need to check with UBUNTU my current test kit to get the same result.
This display really looked like the old one in color and really faithful of it. It takes less than 3 minutes to install: plugged to the WPC board... I mean this is great.

regarding the other display:
The LCD display I'm using, is the same used on other projects and for sale on Pinball life, has some brighness when we look on the side and else. I need to see if I can find another one even better. The image looks great too but due too its size, I need a brackets to install it and set up the screen position perfectly in the settings.

my first RGB led test in video installed:

#455 4 years ago

Here are pictures of the RGB led. It fits exactly like the original and plugged on the J138 plugged on the WPC driver board.

188102BF-AADD-49C0-8E45-ED25F3DCA9BC (resized).jpeg188102BF-AADD-49C0-8E45-ED25F3DCA9BC (resized).jpeg1AAE732C-729F-4594-9BD5-FAAAC34E2649 (resized).jpeg1AAE732C-729F-4594-9BD5-FAAAC34E2649 (resized).jpeg7E306528-26A5-4B5A-B7AF-03BBAAD36A43 (resized).jpeg7E306528-26A5-4B5A-B7AF-03BBAAD36A43 (resized).jpeg
#456 4 years ago

Closing the loop on this... Thanks to Koen and Mark, we've gotten noitbe1 the aux-bus code he can use and modify to implement high-res lightshows. I've also given guidance on some of the details he'll need to implement to make it work for him.

- Gerry
https://www.multimorphic.om

#457 4 years ago

Closing the loop on this... Thanks to Koen and Mark, we've gotten noitbe1 the aux-bus code he can use and modify to implement high-res lightshows. I've also given guidance on some of the details he'll need to implement to make it work for him.
- Gerry

Awesome!! That looks sweet, Great teamwork everyone!!

#458 4 years ago

- Gerry

Thanks Gerry. I do have an opening with an alternate control of the board where I can monitor the lamp the way I want (frequencywise). There is some work and tests to be done but it’s a good news.

1 week later
#459 4 years ago

I've found a way to send highres infos directly to the WPC board -> very fast data PWS (deal with the triac and send bytes directly to the board) and create 4 levels of shading.
It's hard to tell on the video but it's there.
Big thanks to Mark (snux) and Gerry for their help.

I've still hard some works to do to implement it with my current project.

#460 4 years ago

Glad to help Getting the best values for the PWM on/off is just a case of experimenting I think.

Is your GI using normal bulbs or LEDs? I guess normal bulbs would flicker less....

Anyway, have fun!

#461 4 years ago
Quoted from Snux:

Glad to help Getting the best values for the PWM on/off is just a case of experimenting I think.
Is your GI using normal bulbs or LEDs? I guess normal bulbs would flicker less....
Anyway, have fun!

Both. I have none flicker led. The result is pretty good and nothing to compare with before. I can ajust a bit more but the parameters at high speed (microsecond) is really tight so I try to get the best result I can which require a lot of testing with the delay to have the flattest solenoid possible. This new feature requires me to be really careful since this is like a parallel program to my current one where both can run altogether but this can now be like the good old WPC for real. I m already thinking of the best way to use it inside the sequences. Since the dim is hard to catch in video, it’s really noticeable and create a darker atmosphere. I need this for my project and a feature I m really happy using.

#462 3 years ago

Finally I got 6 levels of shading exactly like the good old WPC.
I’ve tried another video (a bit darker) goes from darker to brighter.

#463 3 years ago

Looks good. It's always really difficult to record - the camera frame rate and auto exposure don't make it easy!

#464 3 years ago
Quoted from Snux:

Looks good. It's always really difficult to record - the camera frame rate and auto exposure don't make it easy!

Yes. The darkest was really hard to get. I’ve found also a new « fire like » effect with smooth transition.
I had to go to 500 microseconds for one of them which is really fast. To compare with before, it was 0.031s the switch, this is another world.

#465 3 years ago

here is a comparison from low RES and HI res GI. The "blink" effect has been reduced a lot:

low res (before)

hi res

#466 3 years ago

Been awhile since I checked in. When do you think there will be a test version we can start playing?

#467 3 years ago
Quoted from Toppers:

Been awhile since I checked in. When do you think there will be a test version we can start playing?

Welcome back. With the Covid thing, I’ve put my work on this on hold and just go back on track. I’ve started reworking all my lightshows effects and started real testing today. I’ve still some flaws which make me not want to share it at the time: multiple ball launch with the auto launcher, testing messages not finished and so on. I’m currently testing a kit running with Ubuntu but I have to say I was disappointed by the performance with the RGB led so I m working on that as well. I was surprised but Windows 10 has much better USB performance than UBUNTU... when I know more, I’ll share it.

#468 3 years ago

I've corrected a ton of problems recently. I've found the time to finally move forward on this: I can now play a while without major flaws at least for the 1st quest (the good old 1.4 updated version), but I've still a lot of things to test. I think of adding a setting to change the patter value within a define range tested on mine for the magnet to prevent STDM to control the strength. It doesn't do STDM on my TOTAN, but it could be a problem if it does.

Here is a good first default patter for the magnet once caught: the ball will then be moved on the PF.

#469 3 years ago

I’ve made good progress on debugging lately.
I realized that the fireball and lightning lamp come way too often... so I think adding 5
Loops after the first LL to launch till it goes to 30 and then keep 30 loops and for fireball, increased the hit till 5 hits for fireball ....
The first quest start being really stable and I was quiet satisfied with the result and with the new mode integration.

#470 3 years ago

I’ve spent days trying to control and manage the trough and balls correctly during the final mode (Wizard mode with genie). Having multiple balls to launch and drain at the same time was kind of a nightmare to deal inside the software and control the launch events. I have finally something which seems the most solid I could get and stable. I had also to test with and without the autolauncher.

I realized that using the autolauncher during final mode make it much more easy ... so I need to change the rules a bit accordingly to make the mode harder. The fact to launch the balls manually is another story since you lose time, focus and don’t flip at the same time.
The first quest start being stable but time to time I have strange behavior with the trought and I need to figure those out because the way to get those issues is really hard to reproduce.
To sum up: making good progress. My goal is to get something stable which is hard in the long run. When I’ll be able to play without errors for few hours I’ll be happy but I’m not done yet.

#471 3 years ago

Nice! Thanks for the updates

#472 3 years ago

not an easy task but I’ve just taken a quick video (one hand with the ball and one with the phone ) to show again the shooting phantom mode : I'm curently testing it again.
This mode is really cool and the pinball takes control of the flippers thanks to timing of the cage optos.

The pinball could even shoot the ramp itself! anyway, if you get this mode the pinball takes control and you can no longer flip, then depending of luck and target, you get a bonus.

the difference with the monster bash it can stay activated for both flippers for a limited amount of time. If the pinball fail and the ball drains, you get a ball save. (the drain is not on you... )

here is a new video of this: again the flipper shoot is controlled by software:

#473 3 years ago

That is really cool!

#474 3 years ago

I’m done implementing the shooting phantom with tests: added animations, customs sounds... I Think it fit well and happy with the result . This mode will however needs to be won by tiger loops or get in make a wish. If lucky, there is a good bonus given by the pinball shot with a ball save protection wish will have no time limitation till the SP is activated.

Also:
Tested the video mode lately. I realized that the speed with the pinball connected was completely different than in simulation mode so I had to rework all the timing to make it right.
At the end there are 3 levels of difficulty.
This mode will be hard/rare to get and it’s chosen in “make a wish”.

#475 3 years ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

That is really cool!

Thanks

#476 3 years ago

testing is still ongoing. This is a looooooooog process but things are moving forward. I think that this testing phase may last much longer that the coding itself (just to give an idea) and sometimes, you could get some really tricky bugs.

Lastly I've corrected the collect bonus award win still in make a wish. Also, I have improved a lot my GI effects and I've planned to do the same for the flashers.
New GI effects such as dim light, pulse... will be implemented in several modes.

here is a sample of a new GI effect:

#477 3 years ago

I've started to rework, improve and create new GI effects today for the whole project.

Also, I've migrate with high res. effect for flasher as well. The improvment is pretty noticeable, here is a comparison before and after for the "start tale flasher"

before:

new effect:

#478 3 years ago

Great!!!

#479 3 years ago

thanks. Some of the features, possibilities of this pin has never been used: I already shared a bit about it. This is unfortunate: I don't know if it was a will or a timing issue or else.
For instance, the lock 3 is not used, at all... Also, there are 2 different switchs for the lamp. Yes, there is, as strange as it sounds: there is one for one way a clock rotation and another for the other way.

So I've used those 2 switchs and the new lightning lamp modes now will know what lamp rotation is happening; so it will be harder and require more skills to progress in this mode.

I've shared a demo on post 193 and 194.

1 week later
#480 3 years ago

Lately I’ve done some new work:
Quotes during sequences.
GI new effects during sequences.
A second kit was tested with windows 10. As I said, I was disappointed by the performance of the first UBUNTU kit for different things so I needed to test another one with windows 10. This is much better. Only downsize for now is the boot time. The RGB led USB connection needs a good USB3 transfer so I’m working to see how to maximize it. The LCD display perfo is great on this second kit.

#481 3 years ago

after testing the new cyclop TM mode, here is some new rule about it to make it more interesting:

I want to reintroduce the good old "combo". This new mode is hard to achieved (for me at least), because you have to hit the orb several times to kill the munsters...
Obviously it requires skill to do that knowing there is also a timer to prevent the mode to last too long: the cyclop or dragon "kills" you with flames.

but... if you have another option to make the progress faster: I've introduced a timer with each orb. Here is how it works:
If you hit the "left orb" for instance, a "combo" timer will be generated. Before it ends, if you hit the right orb, it will increase the combo to another level and so on with each time the timer restarted... till the timer ends. You can then have a number of hits much more important like this:

with 3 combo : 1 + 2 + 3 = 6 hits
4 combo ... 10 hits and so on.

right and left: same idea

punchout (resized).pngpunchout (resized).png

it will add some startegy tho this mode.

1 week later
#482 3 years ago

quik update with the 2 kits I've tested, one with UBUNTU and one with Windows 10.
On both, the boot time till the software activation is quiet long at around 2 minutes. I need to investige ways on how to improve that.

I have an issue with the RGB led display: it seems it requires a good congiration processor, USB 3 and else... I'm currently coding on a powerful desktop where I have no issue and everything runs perfectly and didn't saw that issue till before testing on those kits. The RGB led runs better on Windows 10, but lags if we compare with LCD leds and lags a lot with UBUNTU... because the USB transfer speed is better on windows...

Both kits are running well with LCD or dot matrix.
To sum up, for now, I haven't found a good config to reproduce the good performance I have with my desktop so I will continue testing when I can.

also, I've worked on the current status during play:

#483 3 years ago

I was considering buying a PROC for Cactus Canyon , and I came across this topic ...

AMAZING!!!!!!! :O

we hope everything goes on without too many problems, I can't wait to try it !!! Here a masterpiece could come!
Very very compliments

#484 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballSquare:

I was considering buying a PROC for Cactus Canyon , and I came across this topic ...
AMAZING!!!!!!! :O
we hope everything goes on without too many problems, I can't wait to try it !!! Here a masterpiece could come!
Very very compliments

hi, thanks for your message. To sum up for you:
The software is pretty advanced, I'm in testing phase for the software and a kit and it's not shared yet.

This needs to require a PC with a not too bad configuration (power).
also...
an auto_laucher (same as CV, SS) can be installed. It needs to solder the switch (we can't avoid that so no plug and play....) and a long cable manually built to plug the knocker coil to it.
Then, instead of a knocker, you have a sound same as CC but you have an auto launcher.

The auto lauch experience is amazing.

#485 3 years ago

Fantastic
minimum requirements hardware pc?
Tomorrow I ordere a proc

#486 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballSquare:

Fantastic
minimum requirements hardware pc?
Tomorrow I ordere a proc

Around 150/200 MHz with 4 Gb RAM minimum.
I think.

#487 3 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

Around 150/200 GHz with 4 Gb RAM minimum.
I think.

I think 200 MHz should be enough

#488 3 years ago

I have to say that the project is a bit on hold. I’ve been working really slowly on it recently. The test phase is quiet demanding and my motivation on this project fluctuate on it.

Update:
I’ve finally implemented the « start with second quest » completely so on the paper, the extension is operational. I still need to balance and test the modes left and find a solution for the RGB which I don’t have for now.
I might do a color video if I find the time to share more on the real playing experience.
The modes I’ve tested so far are fun to play so happy so far.
I have to say that testing the kit was a pain and I’m still investigating options for this...

#489 3 years ago

ok I think it's time to share a bit more.

here is a video of the 1st quest with the RGB led display. The screen response is a bit slower than the LCD, but I'm working on a way to improve it.

#490 3 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

ok I think it's time to share a bit more.
here is a video of the 1st quest with the RGB led display. The screen response is a bit slower than the LCD, but I'm working on a way to improve it.

That’s amazing. The color integration is the best I’ve seen for this pinball. Please share more videos with Multiballs, modes and the quest 2 once possible. Keep up the great work!

#491 3 years ago
Quoted from Warzard:

That’s amazing. The color integration is the best I’ve seen for this pinball. Please share more videos with Multiballs, modes and the quest 2 once possible. Keep up the great work!

hey, thanks. The color on video is a bit hard to see but yes, it looks great in real for sure! The RGB led display is great, it's the best choice for me.
I still have some small lags noticeable with it in the video (not present with LCD) but we are getting really close.
All the small bugs on the video has been corrected: the GI, one in the bazaar (the quote) and another one harder to see with the bazaar eject.

I will try to make new videos for sure on quest 1 and with other modes and Quest 2. I just wanted to share more on this to show a demo of the good old software rewritten in Python and to show that its quiet stable now. I've been more focused on Quest 2 since the beginning and this is the interest of this project. However, the original software, without its flaws :fireball too frequent, tales selections and so on.. is great.

Last thing, maybe the TOTAN from factory is easy but it seems it was work as designed. I made the 1st quest (1.4 rev) more challenging but most of all, the 2nd quest is hard (really) and for good players. Finishing both quest will not be done easily and it will be quiet a challenge... You will not "kiss" the princess at every game...This is my will for this project.
There is an option to start the 2nd quest first so it will be possible to train on the other tales even if the real challenge is to not activate it.

The extra 2 modes : Bolero and Palace are really hard, at least for me. Big reward at the end. The idea is to give a sense of accomplishment: this wasn't there on the original software.
I think it's really fun. Everyone has it's own idea of fun. Having our own project let you make something not marketing oriented but really something you wanted at the first place.

more to come...

#492 3 years ago

new gameplay video:

#493 3 years ago

Looking great!

Is that new lighting behind the genie during fireball mode? And Fireball hurry up starts at a whopping 5.5mil? Is that a carry over value? New higher scoring?

And I see some new options in the bazaar. Ball save, start Haram Mb... How many new selections are there? And has ‘Collect jewel’ been removed? Do the options change when her ruby has been collected?

Any new Eyebrow raising video clips during Harem Mb??

#494 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballdork:

Looking great!
Is that new lighting behind the genie during fireball mode? And Fireball hurry up starts at a whopping 5.5mil? Is that a carry over value? New higher scoring?
And I see some new options in the bazaar. Ball save, start Haram Mb... How many new selections are there? And has ‘Collect jewel’ been removed? Do the options change when her ruby has been collected?
Any new Eyebrow raising video clips during Harem Mb??

i’ve planned a new lightning show as well for the fireball. I need to check the scoring for this one: it was supposed to be 1000000.
Yes there a lot of new optionsand options are changing with ruby: the win is more interesting.
I ll share a new video soon when I got time. Thanks for your comments.

4 weeks later
#495 3 years ago

Any new yummy teasers?

#496 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballdork:

Any new yummy teasers?

September.
On the way an improvement of the kit performance: start and general and new test with another RGB display.
Jimmy and Applejuice help me on that I am thanksfull for that.

1 month later
#497 3 years ago

Any news?, or taking a break just like me.

#498 3 years ago

Would be awesome to see a version of this software on your machine Will!
Would love to run it on my TOTAN because I'm not playing at all anymore.

#499 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

Any news?, or taking a break just like me.

A little break yes but back on track in september.

Quoted from PinPeet:

Would be awesome to see a version of this software on your machine Will!
Would love to run it on my TOTAN because I'm not playing at all anymore.

It would be great yes once I’ll have a playable version.

1 week later
#500 3 years ago

back on the project, at last ! after a long summer and COVID time.

I have 3 main objectives:
- finishing the tests
- find a way to get a fast boot kit
- improve the RGB led display. The LCD is perfect but the RGB has some lags.

I will need some help to test at some point on another TOTAN. The only thing is: if one want to test the autolauncher, there is a soldering which needs to be done. Sorry not plug and play.

update soon.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 9.95
$ 36.95
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 119.99
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 84.99
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

There are 913 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 19.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/totan-software-rewrite-on-p-roc-twilight-melody/page/10?hl=vpv1rgin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.