EC29B51B-7FA1-4FDC-A93B-F5C2269D532D (resized).jpeg
59F11762-7EDE-4E58-BA81-A3765B6CEE2B (resized).jpeg
col11 (resized).png
col9 (resized).png
col10 (resized).png
col8 (resized).png
col7 (resized).png
col6 (resized).png
There are 913 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 19.
#1 5 years ago

TOTAN 2.0 project rewrite in Python
Project name: Twilight Melody

Currently HD display in dev
Here is the link of the thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/totan-new-software-in-hd-twilight-melody-project

I’ve made this project on 3 displays:
- good old dot matrix
- LCD screen (no more Audio/video WPC board is needed)
- RGB Led dot display (same)
- WIP HD display

- good old dot matrix:

- LCD:

- RGB Led display

regarding the project itself:

new in game:
- possibily to add an auto launcher: the one used in totan 2.0 is the same as CV or SS.It requires to use the coil use on the backbox and in this case, a sound is played instead like CC.
- original sounds: music, quotes, effetcs... are now in stereo
- prototype anims and sounds put back

What I needed to run it:
- a set up computer(could be really basic, Linux or Windows)
- a control board.
That’s it.
If color: a lcd screen or a rgb led.
For the sound: it's possible to either plug an external audio speakers or plug back the original speaker to the computer with an amp with building a cable and 2 connectors. Same way as other projects. On my videos, tests has been done both ways.

code:
- the 2.0 started from the V1.4 which was the last relase from WMS. This is not a new software but the original software AND an extension. The code/light, sound effects are exactly the same as original
- Original code has been completly rewritten in Python to be able to create the extension and is identical to the original.

Notable features:
- slow death (kingpin feature)
- advance tale will not be an automatic bonus here but a random one so the game play will not focus to only rotate the lamp.
- lot of new bonus has been added in "Bazaar" and "Make a wish"
- cow and easter eggs (see IPDB)
- new quotes from original voice actors
- the 3rd lock possibilty is used inside the game (was not used on the orginal software)
- there will be different endings depending of the performance during the game so the princess will not be saved easily.

content:
- all the V1.4 modes

and...

V2.0:
- 2 New fireball sequences
- 2 New Lightning lamp sequences

multiball:
- new Harem mutl
- super genie multiball
- fireball multi
- lightning lamp multi
- new final

tales:
- new sinbad
- new scheherazade
- new flying carpet
- new flying horse
- new cyclop
- new camel race
- new Alibaba

new mode/feature:
- shooting phantom
- 2 video modes: shell game, escape game
- bolero
- The Sultan's Palace
- double tiger loop

Link of all the docs around the kit:

https://docs.the-forgotten-tales.com/

Gameplay 2.0:
Player will have to acheived the 7 old original tales at first.
At the end of the first quest: skeleton, wizard mode.. the princess will not be free and player will have to acheived the 7 tales again and other hidden modes to free the princess.
V12_feature (resized).pngV12_feature (resized).png
totan_rules_V05.pdftotan_rules_V05.pdf

#2 5 years ago

here are 3 videos with the attract mode and gameplay I posted on youtube

#6 5 years ago

Looks great! TOTAN is a beautiful machine. Good luck with the rewrite. Look forward to your updates.

#7 5 years ago

Forget to mention: I’ve put back prototype animations/frames (prior to 1.0) such as winning animation with the snake in skillshot where the snake was huge (sizewise)

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

Looks great! TOTAN is a beautiful machine. Good luck with the rewrite. Look forward to your updates.

Thanks!

#9 5 years ago

Will this be code that you will share eventually?

#10 5 years ago

Maybe. The purpose here is to share what’s possible with P-ROC same as Indiana jones. Once mature enough we will see. I’ll share videos of the progress once possible.

#11 5 years ago

I would be interested in it if you did. Even as a tester

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

I would be interested in it if you did. Even as a tester

Thanks.

#14 5 years ago

Great game getting better. Thanks for your time on this venture.

#15 5 years ago

It would figure if this becomes a reality as I sold my totan. There have been past threads about this but nothing ever came of it.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

It would figure if this becomes a reality as I sold my totan. There have been past threads about this but nothing ever came of it.

Yes. I used to have a totan and i sold it after'a while thinking the pinball looks amazing but it's way too easy a long time ago. I bought a new totan only for this! . That's why this new code aim also to create a pinball much more harder with 14 tales this time and new sequences as well. Once everything has been completed and i mean everything then you'll be able to have the right ending (i plain to have 2 for now).
I will share more infos with the new rules i want to create.

#17 5 years ago

Also P-ROC give you the possibility to add new sounds ans moreover songs which is great as far is content. I will definitly use this option as well

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

Also P-ROC give you the possibility to add new sounds ans moreover songs which is great as far is content. I will definitly use this option as well

Dutch pinball did great things with the P-ROC with BOP2.0!

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Dutch pinball did great things with the P-ROC with BOP2.0!

Bop2 seems great. Music and sounds too

#20 5 years ago

Honorable and worthy task! Do you have a soft time frame you are setting?

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Honorable and worthy task! Do you have a soft time frame you are setting?

Thanks. What do you mean by « soft time frame » ?

#22 5 years ago

When are you hoping to have it finished?

#23 5 years ago

Ok. The hardest part is behind me i think. I would think end of the year

#24 5 years ago

Look forward to finished product and interested as well.
Thanks for the update.

#25 5 years ago

Just edited first post with new ideas i want to add to the Software as long with new songs

#26 5 years ago

Main idea is to create 2 quests to free the princess. I have been inspired by the video game "gouls and ghost" if anyone knows it

#27 5 years ago

No more easy quest. Player will have to battle for a good end.

IMG_1899 (resized).PNGIMG_1899 (resized).PNG
#28 5 years ago

I think this is a great idea. If at some point you wish to sell licenses to copies of your firmware, please put me on the list.

A feature that I have always felt TOTAN was missing was a automatic ball launch, while keeping the manual ball launch for the skill shot. An issue with TOTAN is the Wizard Mode aka Genie Battle, where the player has to relaunch balls. I don't know if there is an extra driver transistor available on the WPC PCB (or if you would use the PROC driver boards), but it would be a great modification to optionally add a ball launcher (such as found in ACDC) automatically launch balls during the wizard mode, or after a time-out when the game isn't being played.

Please keep up the great work on this endeavor.

Nate

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from Nate:

I think this is a great idea. If at some point you wish to sell licenses to copies of your firmware, please put me on the list.
A feature that I have always felt TOTAN was missing was a automatic ball launch, while keeping the manual ball launch for the skill shot. An issue with TOTAN is the Wizard Mode aka Genie Battle, where the player has to relaunch balls. I don't know if there is an extra driver transistor available on the WPC PCB (or if you would use the PROC driver boards), but it would be a great modification to optionally add a ball launcher (such as found in ACDC) automatically launch balls during the wizard mode, or after a time-out when the game isn't being played.
Nate

Yes It has been a big point for me for a while. That's why i don't plan to add too many multiballs since lunching the balls by hands are boring. The game let you the possibility to lock 3 balls but the third one is not used in current software. So i'll add that.
Foe the auto launcher, as far as software no problem. I could even add this feature for any totan with a auto launcher i mean it is possible. For adding a auto launcher inside the pin, i think it could be possible but i m not fond enough of the idea to dig to deep since i really want to deal with the pinball as it is and keep also the original code. I m a nostalgic guy

#30 5 years ago

I am not deeply familiar with the P-ROC board. Are you able to use the existing WPC-95 driver board with the P-ROC CPU?

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from Nate:

I am not deeply familiar with the P-ROC board. Are you able to use the existing WPC-95 driver board with the P-ROC CPU?

Not the CPU . Everything is the same unless the driver board which is no longer used and replaced by the p-roc board. Even the sounds come from the pinball speakers but plug from a computer jack plug.

#32 5 years ago

Got it, I was confused regarding the Pˆ3 offering. I went to the Metamorphic website and have a better understanding. Can you run the existing TOTAN code on the USB attached PC, as well as your new code?

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from Nate:

Got it, I was confused regarding the Pˆ3 offering. I went to the Metamorphic website and have a better understanding. Can you run the existing TOTAN code on the USB attached PC, as well as your new code?

I think it is possible to run original rom with the p-roc with the Virtual pinball software. I can run my code on visual pinball. I really didn't dig that much for this since the original software can't be extracted and changed and you have to rewrite everything no matter the langage: assembleur, c++, python... my project is in python. So the answer is no. I hope it's help.

#34 5 years ago

That makes sense, and now I understand. You have done a vast amount of programming to implement the TOTAN game rules in Python.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from Nate:

That makes sense, and now I understand. You have done a vast amount of programming to implement the TOTAN game rules in Python.

Yes. Count several hundred of hours. You have to be motivated as well

#36 5 years ago

This is freekin awesome! Love your preview videos, the new fonts, new high scores, and sounds. And your rule additions sound like a great way to add some depth and variation to this kinda shallow rule set. Let me know if I can be of any help.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballdork:

This is freekin awesome! Love your preview videos, the new fonts, new high scores, and sounds. And your rule additions sound like a great way to add some depth and variation to this kinda shallow rule set. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Thanks and Good catch for the highscore. I also added frames used in the prototype ROM and removed in production such as the snakes one

#38 5 years ago

Hi Ben,

Pinball life has a Bally/Williams Auto-Launch assembly for $59 USD.

https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=367

Both TOTAN and Scared Stiff are WPC-95 games. I took a picture of the TOTAN playfield area where an Auto-Launch would go (attached). I also took a picture of Auto-Launch assembly from my Scared Stiff (second picture attached). I'm certain that TOTAN could physically accommodate the Auto-Launch. A wire through the connector to the driver board would be needed, but it seems readily possible. As you mentioned, you could use the knocker driver if needed.

The shooter rod could be used for the skill shot, and the Auto-Launch could be used for multi ball or the Wizard mode(s).

-Nate

IMG_3031 (resized).JPGIMG_3031 (resized).JPGIMG_4641 (resized).JPGIMG_4641 (resized).JPG
#39 5 years ago

Hello Nate,
yes, thanks for this. Easiest way to include that would be to sacrifice the knocker (put a sound instead, same as CV or cactus canyon) and use the connector for the auto launcher. Using a connector also has the advantage to not change one of the driver board.

Would require an extra cable with a new connector to go to the knocker connector plug and this should be almost a plug and play

Also, a setting would set this.

#40 5 years ago

some points need to check:
-feature assembly to fit in and no problem with levering the playfield
-the streingt is powerfull enough to launch the ball

I can control the power/pulse of the solenoid.

#41 5 years ago

I just ordered one (marco speciality), Need to figure the cable/plug now. Once done, I'll do the test and share the progress.
Thanks again to Nate for checking!

#42 5 years ago

seems to be the exact same solenoid as well :

infoknocker (resized).pnginfoknocker (resized).png
#43 5 years ago

here is the glimpse of the intro for the super genie multiball (still in work in progress)
- just realized the quality is really bad. I'll try to post a better one on the real pinball
I removed the video because the quality was too bad.

#45 5 years ago

Hi Ben,

I went through the TOTAN schematics looking for spare transistors. Using the knocker circuit is a good, and probably the only choice. The 23-800 coil used by the Auto-Launch is low resistance and therefore high current. All high current drivers are Q65-Q72 and are TIP36 transistors. There are no spares available, and the knocker is Q69.

-Nate

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from Nate:

Hi Ben,
I went through the TOTAN schematics looking for spare transistors. Using the knocker circuit is a good, and probably the only choice. The 23-800 coil used by the Auto-Launch is low resistance and therefore high current. All high current drivers are Q65-Q72 and are TIP36 transistors. There are no spares available, and the knocker is Q69.
-Nate

Hello Nate. Took a look at the schematic as well and seems all the possible coils are used. I didn’t found any spare either. Good news is the knocker for this one to be replace by a sound which should’t be a big deal as far as gameplay. At least there is one.

#47 5 years ago

After checking on my pin not that easy after all. The outer button fixture is on the same spot as the auto launcher. Need to figure out a way to keep this button in place

7CFFF3A8-F0FA-4ACB-9330-A29F9D874F0C (resized).jpeg7CFFF3A8-F0FA-4ACB-9330-A29F9D874F0C (resized).jpeg
#48 5 years ago
Quoted from Nate:

Nate

Quoted from noitbe1:

Hello Nate,
yes, thanks for this. Easiest way to include that would be to sacrifice the knocker (put a sound instead, same as CV or cactus canyon) and use the connector for the auto launcher. Using a connector also has the advantage to not change one of the driver board.
Would require an extra cable with a new connector to go to the knocker connector plug and this should be almost a plug and play
Also, a setting would set this.

Adding an auto launcher is one of the best upgrades to these wpc-95 games It adds so many extra code options along with more complete multiball options.

Some interesting info that i found out when working on magic girl with John. (jpop)

John didn't like to include auto launchers on his games. You can see this where there isn't one on WCS, TOM, TOTAN or SWEP1. Only CV has one. I was working on game rules for Magic Girl and John was asking me if there was anything i'd like including playfield wise. My first response was 'Please add an Auto-launcher'. He replied that Cameron had made the same request once to him during a similar discussion. Cameron did get his wish as per CV, but i did not!

#49 5 years ago

Hi Ben,

I have a milling machine in my basement shop, and just had the Auto-Launch assembly delivered to my house. I’m traveling for the next 14 days but when back I will see if there is a way to make both parts fit.

Nate

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Adding an auto launcher is one of the best upgrades to these wpc-95 games It adds so many extra code options along with more complete multiball options.
Some interesting info that i found out when working on magic girl with John. (jpop)
John didn't like to include auto launchers on his games. You can see this where there isn't one on WCS, TOM, TOTAN or SWEP1. Only CV has one. I was working on game rules for Magic Girl and John was asking me if there was anything i'd like including playfield wise. My first response was 'Please add an Auto-launcher'. He replied that Cameron had made the same request once to him during a similar discussion. Cameron did get his wish as per CV, but i did not!

Really interresting, thanks for the comment. For the totan, the only mode which require one is the wizard mode. The other lock the ball with an additional skill shot that's why. That's another skill game to add to the game so i get it why it s like that. In my case, it would be interresting for new mode and for sure the wizard mode.

Ps. A new magic girl is planned by deeproot for next year so i was wondering if you'll work on it as well, if it's sharable.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 84.99
$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
$ 119.99
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 36.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 913 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 19.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/totan-software-rewrite-on-p-roc-twilight-melody/ and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.